Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,065 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Unworthy Exultation Of English Language Over Indigenous Languages In Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Unworthy Exultation Of English Language Over Indigenous Languages In Nigeria (354 Views)

Nigeria's Attorney General Gets Court Order Proscribing Indigenous People / BBC Have Expanded Its Services With 11 (eleven) New Languages In Africa And Asia / Check Out School Fees For Non Indigenous Students in IMSU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Unworthy Exultation Of English Language Over Indigenous Languages In Nigeria by AkinadeakaDove: 12:27am On Dec 22, 2015
I am an interpreter in my church, and this is the major factor that pushes me against the celebrated idea of code switching or code mixing. Code switching occurs where a speaker alternates between two or more languages. This has been regarded as normal, especially among various Nigerian students - even graduates. You hear students say, ''mi o le wa 'lecture' yen lana, mi sure pe o shi e ma wa 'boring''' meaning 'I couldn't attend yesterday's lecture, and I'm even sure it would even be boring.'
This is uncalled for! It becomes abnormal to people's hearing when one speaks undiluted native language, but it is not so when one speaks the language of our colonial masters fluently and undiluted. It baffles me whenever I, when speaking English Language, receive comments such as 'whao! You are good!' or questions as 'are you a linguist?' On the other hand, whenever I speak in an undiluted indigenous language, I receive 'you sound local' and questions like 'where are you from?'
This means speaking of one's native language makes one local, while that of foreign language makes one sophisticated or even exposed.
I define this as inferiority complex or am I wrong?
Re: Unworthy Exultation Of English Language Over Indigenous Languages In Nigeria by omoplaycool(m): 12:49am On Dec 22, 2015
You took it right out of my mouth. I think we missed it when we started embracing everything western as development or education... This arw the same folks who told us to cover ourselves cause we were naked .. Today they are showing us to take this same cloths off cause we're too covered.. Complex is indeed the word and the media hasn't been helping.. Even out own journalist and presenters on air mispronounce our local words and names in a bid to sound "tushed" Funny how our Nigerian musicians sing more about the dollar than they sing about naira....... SMH...."EINSTEINS'
Re: Unworthy Exultation Of English Language Over Indigenous Languages In Nigeria by AkinadeakaDove: 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2015
Thanks bro! The media is the major problem!

(1) (Reply)

How To Get That Gq Model Look Instead Of The Body Builder Look / Top Muscle Building Routines - Techniques And Myths / The Running Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.