Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:32 PM

Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State (12550 Views)

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). / Oniru Estate In Victoria-Island Under-Curfew For Oro Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by salinco(m): 3:48pm On Jun 09, 2009
I was just being informed of the situation in Ikorudu, Lagos State where there was a curfew yesterday. People are not allow to open shop, visit, open offices, or even move around.

My question is to know if their action is constitutional. Should we allow or religion to affect others?
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by salinco(m): 2:45pm On Jun 10, 2009
it was even a yearly affairs. and people are not complaining.

There should be a place to practice such religion which should not destruct the peace of any community or abuse fundamental human right.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Kobojunkie: 2:58pm On Jun 10, 2009
I am not into traditional religions at all but I know Oro has been in existence for decades, and I do not see why the State should now deny the people their right to their tradition. I grew up in Ikorodu, and as much as I hate all things Oro, I believe it is right for us all to respect the people there. I am not sure who the current Oba of Ikorodu is but I know we used to have a Christian Oba and even he saw need to respect the people's culture. If you do not like it, MOVE!
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by salinco(m): 11:07am On Jun 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I am not into traditional religions at all but I know Oro has been in existence for decades, and I do not see why the State should now deny the people their right to their tradition. I grew up in Ikorodu, and as much as I hate all things Oro, I believe it is right for us all to respect the people there. I am not sure who the current Oba of Ikorodu is but I know we used to have a Christian Oba and even he saw need to respect the people's culture. If you do not like it, MOVE!

You really make sense, but I think in Ikorodu we have Christian, Muslim and Tradisional religion. The town is for everyone in respect of your differences. So they should move to another area just for that tradition which is usually call IGBO ORO.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 11, 2009
Enough of all these silly traditions and religions.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by popegirl(f): 12:00pm On Jun 11, 2009
ORO ke, in this agetime, ?ogaa oooo
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Kobojunkie: 2:13pm On Jun 11, 2009
salinco:

You really make sense, but I think in Ikorodu we have Christian, Muslim and Tradisional religion. The town is for everyone in respect of your differences. So they should move to another area just for that tradition which is usually call IGBO ORO.

You are right that there are people of other religions in the town. But do you also know that muslim and Christian holidays are honored in the same town? So why should traditional holidays not be honored?

Also, why should they be the ones to move to another town when once most all Ikorodu indigenes were of the traditional faith?
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Fhemmmy: 2:24pm On Jun 11, 2009
I remember when i was growing up in Ikorodu, has so much fun with that thing.
However, in this age, i think they need to find a better way to have it done and not affect other people.

Kobojunkie:

You are right that there are people of other religions in the town. But do you also know that muslim and Christian holidays are honored in the same town? So why should traditional holidays not be honored?

Also, why should they be the ones to move to another town when once most all Ikorodu indigenes were of the traditional faith?

Other religion's holiday dont stop people from going around and doing what they wanna do, and some coy that dont wanna have holiday on other religion's holiday are not forced.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Kobojunkie: 2:49pm On Jun 11, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I remember when i was growing up in Ikorodu, has so much fun with that thing.
However, in this age, i think they need to find a better way to have it done and not affect other people.

Other religion's holiday dont stop people from going around and doing what they wanna do, and some coy that dont wanna have holiday on other religion's holiday are not forced.

Well, I don’t believe Oro STOPS people from going where they want to go. I mean, I remember back then my mum would leave early for her job out in other parts of the state, while businesses and companies in Ikorodu basically had that day as a holiday for their female employees. School children had the day off as well. Now, I understand the frustrations but putting a complete STOP to the observance of ORO by the traditional is not going to solve the problem, in my opinion. We will be imposing our views in disrespect. I mean there have been numerous debates on how best to solve the problem over the decades, and I am guessing soon, there will be one because this has gone on for so long. Bring education in, and you will see the towns people decide it is time to modify the restrictions placed on women, but till then, I think the process will continue as it has.

Companies ought to, regardless of their ideologies, ought to respect the rights of their employees to celebrate their faith. Should a Muslim employee be forced not to celebrate Muslim religious holidays by the company he work’s for? Should company now dictate what holiday’s people can celebrate, and which they cannot? I say companies that decide to move to Ikorodu ought to understand that they ought to respect the religions of the locals or MOVE.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Fhemmmy: 2:54pm On Jun 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Well, I don’t believe Oro STOPS people from going where they want to go. I mean, I remember back then my mum would leave early for her job out in other parts of the state, while businesses and companies in Ikorodu basically had that day as a holiday for their female employees. School children had the day off as well. Now, I understand the frustrations but putting a complete STOP to the observance of ORO by the traditional is not going to solve the problem, in my opinion. We will be imposing our views in disrespect. I mean there have been numerous debates on how best to solve the problem over the decades, and I am guessing soon, there will be one because this has gone on for so long. Bring education in, and you will see the towns people decide it is time to modify the restrictions placed on women, but till then, I think the process will continue as it has.

Companies ought to, regardless of their ideologies, ought to respect the rights of their employees to celebrate their faith. Should a Muslim employee be forced not to celebrate Muslim religious holidays by the company he work’s for? Should company now dictate what holiday’s people can celebrate, and which they cannot? I say companies that decide to move to Ikorodu ought to understand that they ought to respect the religions of the locals or MOVE.

Like i said in my earlier post, i really enjoyed the stuff while growing and i remember my Mom had to leave the house so early all cos she doesn't wanna be caught in the wahala, which now that i am grown, i dont see any reason why people have to inconvenient themselves to accommodate the celebration, i think they could.
Allow women to see it.
Do it in a little place where people wont be affected.
But i will never say they should abolish it, cos i think they could modify it to be good tourism activity and make good money for Ikorodu.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by morzook(m): 3:22pm On Jun 11, 2009
they shoul ban them
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by AloyEmeka9: 3:31pm On Jun 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Are you aware they decapitate people for sacrifices during  oro festivals in Ondo?. Will you still support it if the story is the same in Ikorodu in the name of religion?
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Kobojunkie: 3:33pm On Jun 11, 2009
hisses and rolls eyes ---3 times, mind you!!!!!

Did you miss the part of the topic that says this is about Oro in Ikorodu? Unless you can definitively state that beheadings happen during Oro in Ikorodu, I don't see you making any point with that.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by AloyEmeka9: 3:35pm On Jun 11, 2009
What makes you think the Oro in Ikorodu is any different from the type they do in Ondo?. If they allow Eyo festival in lagos, I don't see the reason why Oro should be banned if it is entirely harmless like Eyo festival.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Fhemmmy: 3:40pm On Jun 11, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

What makes you think the Oro in Ikorodu is any different from the type they do in Ondo?. If they allow Eyo festival in lagos, I don't see the reason why Oro should be banned if it is entirely harmless like Eyo festival.

They are very harmless, just disallow women from doing their daily activities.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Jun 11, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Well, After living over 30 years in Ikorodu, I can tell you it is a different type. Oro in Ikorodu centers around flogging devils or devils flogging you ( can't remember how that goes). But yeah, no beheading, just flogging. In fact, I believe they have mostly given up on the flogging. lol

Eyo is allowed and celebrated Lagos wide.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by AloyEmeka9: 3:44pm On Jun 11, 2009
Okay. If they are harmless, i don't see any reason why the Oba should ban it. The civil unrest it will cause is not worth it and the oro economy will also suffer as long as this curfew lasts.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by redsun(m): 3:51pm On Jun 11, 2009
The problem is that as always people think tradition is static,living in the past.

Yes,we should reflect and observe our traditions,but it should not be at the expense of nobody,we should learn to update our traditions to suite the 21st century environment,where people have different choices. and businesses to go about.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Kobojunkie: 3:53pm On Jun 11, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Okay. If they are harmless, i don't see any reason why the Oba should ban it. The[b] civil unrest [/b] it will cause is not worth it and the oro economy will also suffer as long as this curfew lasts.

That is exactly why the Christian Oba we had refused to listen to people calling for it to be changed for a while. I mean Ikorodu indigenes are peaceful on the most part, and welcome foreigners. But when you try to mess with their traditions or their ways of life, you are bound to get resistance.

I generally do not believe in Voodoo and all that lot, but I remember when there was a disagreement of some sort in the town. Everyone knew it. I mean from old to young, we were in suspense for weeks wondering what side would feel the blow.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by DrKitaun(m): 4:19pm On Jun 11, 2009
Facts :

The present Oba there is a Muslim . . .

The Oro fstival ended 2 days ago . . .

It was held in the main Ikorodu township not extending to areas like Agric, Benson and Ogolonto . . .

It was peaceful . . .

It was more less like DONT GO OUT ANY TIME FROM 9PM . . .

I dont see anything wrong with the people parctising what they believe in, considering that Christians celebrate Christmas December-long atimes changing the timing of people with the fireworks and fanfare . . .same as Muslims . . .

I was there last night till 10pm and I wasnt intimated of any decapitations of any sort . . .
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by asha80(m): 4:29pm On Jun 11, 2009
Aloy remember in owerri when the indigenes are celebrating they usually block the roads in the area we usually refer to as 'town'

If oro is harmless i think it should be aloowed to stay
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Fhemmmy: 4:51pm On Jun 11, 2009
There are some things that we can always preserve it for the generation coming to see how great the history was.
For tourism as well.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by salinco(m): 11:17am On Jul 10, 2009
cry cry cry
why must will restrict women for moving at a particular time. one can move 24hrs without molestation during xmax and salah. why should will give prefrence to other?
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by kolaoloye(m): 11:31am On Jul 10, 2009
tradi
salinco:

cry cry cry
why must will restrict women for moving at a particular time. one can move 24hrs without molestation during xmax and salah. why should will give prefrence to other?

That is why it is called Tradition, please let them be.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by spikedcylinder: 11:38am On Jul 10, 2009
I don't understand why people cannot seem to respect and tolerate each other. Oro has been a long standing festival in Lagos state and if Lagosians can celebrate Eyo, why should Oro be different? Especially if they are not killing people or harming anyone.

If Christians in the North are disallowed from celebrating Christmas now, people will be screaming bloody murder. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by philip0906(m): 2:53pm On Jul 10, 2009
oro,ororo and whatever they call it in the 21st century?all in the name of tradition?can't we b wise and ask ourselves where it has brought Nigeria to? RUBISH. sad
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by Mowire: 6:49pm On Jul 10, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Are you aware  they decapitate people for sacrifices during  oro festivals in Ondo?. Will you still support it if the story is the same in Ikorodu in the name of religion?

That rubbish is done in all of Yorubaland where they still do this curfew-imposing oro.

The more annoying thing is that they don't put warning signs at the roads that lead to those restricted areas so that strangers (and even residents) who are unaware will see the signs and avoid the danger. The penalty for any woman seeing the oro people is DEATH. Ask any Yoruba man who knows the tradition. THEY WILL MURDER THAT WOMAN IN COLD BLOOD and tell you oro has carried her.

Because they don't place warning signs the other day (earlier this year) I drove my wife and little kid to Ikorodu garrage and parked almost at their OJUBODE (one of the ritual houses where their major shrine is located) while returning from Mainland Lagos where we had passed the night totally unaware that they were doing oro and (consequently) there was their curfew.

The only cane-carrying idiot that saw us early that morning would have been their sacrificial animal as I was ready to run over him as I made a violent u-turn and sped off from the place.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by bawomolo(m): 7:13pm On Jul 10, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I don't understand why people cannot seem to respect and tolerate each other. Oro has been a long standing festival in Lagos state and if Lagosians can celebrate Eyo, why should Oro be different? Especially if they are not killing people or harming anyone.

If Christians in the North are disallowed from celebrating Christmas now, people will be screaming bloody murder. undecided undecided undecided

Although you have a point, it can be argued Christmas doesn't impede freedom of movement.

As long as the festivals don't obstruct other non-participants, no problem. Traditional african festivals seem to have a negative stigma.
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by ikeyman00(m): 7:15pm On Jul 10, 2009
foolish odudu-stupid beings
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by spikedcylinder: 12:39pm On Jul 11, 2009
bawomolo:

Although you have a point, it can be argued Christmas doesn't impede freedom of movement.

As long as the festivals don't obstruct other non-participants, no problem. Traditional african festivals seem to have a negative stigma.

If it was in a predominantly Christian or Muslim state and their laws state that there shouldn't be movement after a certain time, it will definitely be enforced. wink
Re: Oro In Ikorodu, Lagos State by MrCrackles(m): 9:32pm On Jul 11, 2009
I dont understand how this merits the political section but one word from me - mess ORO and all other similar fetish/traditional bullshit! angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Social And Cultural Implications Of Living In The West / Are African Women Jealous Of African American Women's "Natural" Lighter Skin? / History Of Tribal Marks ( Yoruba Perspective) + pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.