Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,808 members, 7,810,105 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story (40879 Views)

MURIC Calls For Arrest, Prosecution Of Oro Priests In Ikorodu / How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos / Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Oladipupo22: 2:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
I am writing this on a very sad note... sad angry angry angry

I was in the village this past weekend to spend few days with my extended family and to my utmost surprise, I was informed that there is an existing "oro festival" going on, and that I must make it indoors by 4pm to say the least.

Coincidentally, I got to the village by 4:35pm all looking empty and deserted like a grave yard. Out of intuition, I decided to start looking ahead of me before I walk down any path.

Three paths away from my Father's House, I discovered the procession was just ahead of me, I ran for my dear life. Three things happened to me while I was running for my dear life:
1. I misplaced my phone, a massive Tecno Phantom 5 cry cry
2. I misplaced my wallet
3. I had to forgo my luggaes which they now have in their possession ( Luckily, I had ONLY new wears I've not even tested in it).

Now, here's my grouse with this evil, barbaric, satanic and extinct act: After loosing my phone which I had used to take beautiful pictures because of its picture quality and suave, my games are also gone, Is this ORO of a thing supposed to be continued in this time and age?

My money is also gone! I will so miss my phone because of its become my perfect companion
cry cry cry

PS: For the non-Yorubas who don't know what an oro festival is, it is basically a festival celebrated in Yoruba lands either after the death of an Oba or a special atonement is to be made in the land and it involves sacrificing Humans!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
shocked it was out of fear you misplaced your phone, your wallet and luggage s; and you were warned o, sorry, ndo

15 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by pelusky(m): 3:00pm On Jan 21, 2016
Ehya, sorry for that. Were u holdin d phone or in pocket? Cos if its in pocket, I see no reason why it wil jumped out of d pocket...

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by VickyRotex(f): 3:16pm On Jan 21, 2016
Eyah. Phone ati owo ti lo le tarara. cry cry
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by osenbarak: 3:43pm On Jan 21, 2016
OP say "evil, barbaric, satanic and extinct act" LOOOOOL. Grammar. I feel your pain though.

2 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Yorubago(f): 3:43pm On Jan 21, 2016
lalasticlala, why I'm I always missing FTC on posts that will make FP like this cry cry cry cry cry

Now, let me say the truth: OP sorry for the loss but these rubbish things should be cancelled by Buhari ooo

They still do it in Ikorodu, Ikotun, Mushin, Ojuelegba and so many stwepid places in Lagos and it is indeed annoying

I understand how you feel OP

Finally, either obinoscopy, mynd44, seun or lalasticlala, one of you should hide all the comments above me and I promise you one night in my uncle's hotel codedly wink

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 21, 2016
Oro, egungun, odun ifa, odun ogun, sango and the festival of all our deities will continue.

If it is barbaric and evil to you, relocate elsewhere, this is Yoruba land for Yoruba people and the culture and practices.

Your story says Oro of 4PM, apparently it wasn't the strict Oro, it must have been a town ritual which wouldn't have caused you any harm considering you are from the town and travelled down; so stop with the fuckery. Get your father or granny to go to the palace, your items will be returned. Nobody steals or keeps someone else's item during a procession, it is an eewo. So your items are retrievable.

Lastly, the name of village is?

93 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 21, 2016
Oladipupo22:
I was informed that there is an existing "oro festival" going on, and that I must make it indoors by 4pm to say the least.
Coincidentally, I got to the village by 4:35pm all looking empty and deserted like a grave yard. Out of intuition, I decided to start looking ahead of me before I walk down any path.

So you were even informed but you felt . . . Nothing they happened abi? angry
Thank your God they didn't get hold of you, if it were to be in some places,
they will drag you out even if you had ran under your bed.

Any way, Our Culture most be preserved

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Mariecakes(f): 4:50pm On Jan 21, 2016
cry

2 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by theplushist: 4:51pm On Jan 21, 2016
sorry for the losses
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by bluaero(m): 4:51pm On Jan 21, 2016
eeya sorry.

Meanwhile somewhere on planet earth...

11 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sorry about the speed test.
try retrieve your items and leave tecno adverts for marketers.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by allanphash7(m): 4:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sorry brother

Ile ti ko ba ti oju eni su ri ile ibe soro rin( Its so dangerous to walk in a place where night has never fall in ones presence)

Ise l'agba

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by timilehing(m): 4:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
You should more than joyful to be alive. Dead do not miss their properties.

As long as you're alive, you can always start over again
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Sijo01(f): 4:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
Pikin wey nor dey hear word, na watin dey happen to am be that. Were you not preinformed about non movement at that period? You carry chest face Road say nothing dey happen.

2 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by bdemix(m): 4:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
ORO Ijebu
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by aimuan(m): 4:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
did u say sacrificing humans?
Oladipupo22:

I was in the village this past weekend to spend few days with my extended family and to my utmost surprise, I was informed that there is an existing "oro festival" going on, and that I must make it indoors by 4pm to say the least.

Three paths away from my Father's House, I discovered the procession was just ahead of me, I ran for my dear life. Three things happened to me while I was running for my dear life:
2. I misplaced my wallet
3. I had to forgo my luggaes which they now have in their possession ( Luckily, I had ONLY new wears I've not even tested in it).

Now, here's my grouse with this evil, barbaric, satanic and extinct act: After loosing my phone which I had used to take beautiful pictures because of its picture quality and suave, my games are also gone, Is this ORO of a thing supposed to be continued in this time and age?

My money is also gone! I will so miss my phone because of its become my perfect companion
cry cry cry

PS: For the non-Yorubas who don't know what an oro festival is, it is basically a festival celebrated in Yoruba lands either after the death of an Oba or a special atonement is to be made in the land and it involves sacrificing Humans!

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by crazygod(m): 4:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
Bros if this ur fone no lost, talk true o, u go complain? Because e be like say na d fone dey pain u pass

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Intendy: 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
@9ja crop got it well.
before even venturing into d village on getting to the state you ought to have made a phone call to know position of things since your extended family resides there.
even after capturing they'll interrogate u.I've been a victim several times and mostly @ night even with eluku
lesson is always open your brains.

4 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by demarc001: 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thank God you live to tell the story
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by missKiffy(f): 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
I hate this oro of a thing, barbaric to say the least, in this 21st century they still practice oro, sometimes i wonder what would have become of we Africans if not for Christianity and Islam, cos despite having these two religions, the voodoo and juju that Africans still do ehn, its baffling, then imagine if there was no religion at all

7 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Eboh4z: 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thank God for ur life.......
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by APCcrimesHD: 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
Yooorubs, oro! grin

Sophisticated brownies! grin
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
Koran chapter 10 vs 94 says
''if u have any doubt in this book i have given u, go and read d bible or ask those who read d bible. (meaning muslims should b christains) the Koran says Allah created the world through the word. (same Koran says Jesus is the word of God)
Koran mentioned d name of Jesus 25times while mohammed name was just mentioned 4times. The only woman name written in the Koran is 'mariam' (the mother of jesus) even d chapter 3 of d Koran is named after her. D Koran agreed she went to heaven with her physical body. Meaning the assumption s written in d Koran. Koran said Jesus s still alive while it stated dat mohammed s dead. Koran said Jesus can give life.
So tell me why these muslims dont wanno accept the truth and follow christ?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Toeyoursea(m): 4:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thank God for your life.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sorry
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Hamatrony(m): 4:57pm On Jan 21, 2016
Oladipupo22:

2. I misplaced my wallet

cry cry cry

Watz d name of dat village n d state?

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by bercarray(m): 4:57pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sorry op,where did it happend?is it somewhere around ilese,cos one happened there recently?
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by demarc001: 4:58pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thank God you live to tell the story.
But 4pm is too early for such yeye
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by DoctorTim: 4:58pm On Jan 21, 2016
I served in ogbomosho. Oro festival is done in ogbomosho. I worked at the general hospital and virtually every body in the town knew me. One night I was on call and was driving back to the hospital. I met them at the junction of the hospital. I couldn't even speak Yoruba. They came at my car and ordered[sup][/sup] me out. Soon as they saw me one of the masqueraders prostrated and shouted Dokita mii oh. Then every body started hailing me. They gave me a big alley way and sang songs of praises for me. I smiled and drove as fast as I could to the ER.
Oro dey fear face cos the dude with the masquerade costume was my patient. And I catered to his wife when she was to deliver.
I was an ogbomosho hero. That's my adopted home since then.
End of my story

72 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Jabioro: 4:59pm On Jan 21, 2016
Your story is somehow awkward. You an indigenes of that village, as omo onile ,whether you a man or woman ,no body will kill for any sacrifice. As against all insinuating they used human being do oro in my home town ....

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by baby124: 4:59pm On Jan 21, 2016
Video of you running and throwing everything away. Hahaha.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. / Stylish Oluwo Of Iwo Shows Off His Swags As He Strolls With Other Kings In Osun / Masquerade Seen Having A Good Time At A Nightclub In Lagos (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.