Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? (3071 Views)

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / If You Had All The Money In The World, Which Car Would You Buy? / Which Car Would You Suggest I Use For Transportation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ElRazur: 4:36pm On Jun 09, 2009
Smart cars are in my opinion are the Bee's knee for everyday transport in Nigeria. Compact, economical, refined and easy to service. We recently took one home and it was used in travelling from Lagos to Kwara state and then to Benin, then back to Kwara state. All of these journey done with N1800 petrol of full tank. Air condition was on full blast for most of the journey and the music system was cranking up too.

What makes this car interesting is how they are designed. The body panels are more or less like really hard industrial plastic panels, build around a "roll cage like frame". While it looks small on the outside, it actually feels big on the inside. Why are we not using this car a lot back home?

They come with a triptronic gear box [Semi automatic] and a low profile turbo-charged engine. With top speeds of around 90mph. It is good enough to keep up with speeds on the motorways and on Nigerian road, probably more than enough. Then there are things like ABS, ESP and airbags thrown in too.

[img=http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8400/smartcard.jpg>http://img198.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smartcar3.jpg>http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7263/smartcar3.jpg[/img>http://img198.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smartcar6.jpg>http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7161/smartcar6.jpg[/img]

It should be noted that these cars are now the "old shape" and the new shaped ones are more streamlined and lower with bigger tyres etc.

I know a few people would take a look at these and think "oh it wont survive and accident" well, for your information, These cars have been test-crashed at 70mph here in the UK and the result are pretty much impressive.

See more info on the car here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ElRazur: 5:44pm On Jun 09, 2009
15 views and no interest? grin
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by equlibrium(m): 7:00pm On Jun 09, 2009
wat can i say? embarassed
nigerians lik big big tins grin grin grin
big cars, big bumbum, big boobs, big dicks. . .
if its big, we lov it, sori dude
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ElRazur: 7:14pm On Jun 09, 2009
But big is not always the best way to go. This would give you the same comfort as any car within the city and every day driving. A full tank of 1800.00 Naira is also not bad.

Funny enough, I only ever saw one around ikoyi side. smiley
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by equlibrium(m): 7:17pm On Jun 09, 2009
dude, if u culd choose btw big bumbum nd bony bum(note i dint say bumbum) wuld u wori abt somtin as trival as mor mony spent at tastee fried chicken?
angry
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ElRazur: 7:47pm On Jun 09, 2009
Dude this is about cars. I do not see the relevance of your comparison. smiley
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by sultaan(m): 9:07pm On Jun 09, 2009
Considering you chance of surviving an accident in one piece. Its not a cheap offer.
If that car ever gets in an head on with a SUV, you'll wish you were in the SUV.
So how much is a life worth in savings?

On British back roads it a smart idea, but against Nigerian danfos, molue and the oil mighty tankers; roadkill sad
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by DisGuy: 10:23pm On Jun 09, 2009
we just like big cars for some reasonĀ  undecided
You'll also notice, there are very few coupe on the road
everyone wants a big family car even if its only them driving 7days a week

This car will be very nice for calmer states like ogun and kwara
in Lagos you'll get bullied off the road-you'll be mistaken for a new version
of keke napep by those crazy okada riders grin

1 Like

Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ElRazur: 10:33pm On Jun 09, 2009
@sultan. It is a common misconception that 4x4 are safer. Believe it or not, the smart car is in a role cage. It comes equiped with air bags and the roll cage design have some sort of "armour plate" in the front bumper. Also, it makes use of the crumple zone fron the on-coming car if there is ever a collusion. To simply put, it is very safe smiley

@dis guy
Yeah I see what you mean. When the car came out of the port, loads of people was admiring it and majority of people wanted to push it over from the side etc. Which I thought it was unnecessary. It weighs close to a ton I would think, but don't quote me on that.
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by sultaan(m): 12:18am On Jun 10, 2009
It is made by Benz, but will the guy in the video be seeing a doctor or a mortician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4k0FWvGoSM

The cage is tough I agree but the shock is what kills and a cage don't absorb like crumple zones
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ugonna245(m): 7:10am On Jun 10, 2009
how much does it go for? I mean in Naira
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ugonna245(m): 7:46am On Jun 10, 2009
how much does it go for?
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by MrsSiena1(f): 8:53am On Jun 10, 2009
I've driven Smarts here in the UK, and whilst they're low maintainence, they're more "City Cars."
I've also serviced and repaired them. Unladen weight is 720 kilogrammes (0.7 tonnes).

The lightweight design and shape doesn't cope well with crosswinds, and being overtaken by a regular car at speeds is more than enough to unsettle the Smart, if caught in the slipstream of a car ahead, it's the same story.

Yes, they will crack 90mph, but they're far from stable at speeds above 70mph, unless it's a very calm, wind-free day.
I had one as a courtesy car for 3 weeks in 2007, and I wouldn't want to own one.

I also wouldn't want to be in one in the event of a crash.

As for maintainence, not that easy. Draining the engine oil is a task, as the engine doesn't have a conventional drain plug in the sump, so the oil has to be syphoned via the dipstick with a suction pump.

With all I've stated above, I wouldn't recommend a Smart for Nigerian roads. The Lagos driving culture alone would make the prospect of a Smart car as a daily driver a scary proposition.

SIENA
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ugonna245(m): 9:10am On Jun 10, 2009
snappy are you the better half of Siena?
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 10, 2009
ugonna245:

snappy are you the better half of Siena?

Lol! I responded from the wrong account.
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ugonna245(m): 9:15am On Jun 10, 2009
no problem at all!!!
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by DisGuy: 11:31am On Jun 10, 2009
Ive always wonder why young naija guy and even students prefer big 'executive' family cars
when there are more exciting smaller 'fitter' smarter cars like Golf, Audi A3 suitable for the city

how about a mini cooper

Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by DisGuy: 11:33am On Jun 10, 2009
k

Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ElRazur: 3:41pm On Jun 10, 2009
@Sienna. The high wind is not as bad like you are painting it. I had one - chipped and modified cool And I reached speeds in excess of 100mph. The cross wind tend to be minimal in my experience.

You mentioned something about slip streaming. I would have thought, this would lead to a more stable handling as the on-coming air friction is reduced when one is in the slip stream of another vehicle?

@Dis Guy.

I am not a fan of Mini am afraid, however your points are valid. I.e Why on earth people use big bags when 80% of the time, they use it solely for domestic and pleasure. smiley
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ElRazur: 3:43pm On Jun 10, 2009
@Siena, what do you make of the Toyota IQ? I am due to test drive one, but I think they are very expensive for what they are. smiley
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ElRazur: 3:04pm On Jun 11, 2009
Well Siena? smiley
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by Nezan(m): 6:38pm On Jun 11, 2009
doubt if de car can survive Naija roads
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ElRazur: 7:09pm On Jun 11, 2009
Nezan:

doubt if de car can survive Naija roads

We have one in Naija as we speak. IN fact, it would be put to use again in some few days time. cool
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 11, 2009
ElRazur:

Well Siena? smiley

Sorry ElRazur, only just seen this post.

I don't know much about the Toyota IQ, but from what I've seen so far, I'd say it looks more firmly planted than the Smart.
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by trisurface: 8:53pm On Jul 11, 2009
I dont know about em smart cars. I travel a bit and i wont be caught dead in that on Benin -Ore. i also live in a lagos suburb,soooo, its not really working fer me.Believe me, I 've been priviledged to see a whole 4tonner halfway buried in the earth when the ground under it gave way on the same express.Truly a sight to see before U die!
I appreciate the low fuel consumption, totally recyclable materials,The green feeling & cred that comes with it, but we're not ready yet. i've seen 2mercedes benz types in Ikoyi & they RATTLE.
Also, how much of your family can U move in the thing.
What if you all have a bit of circumference round the waist?
The mini is a lot better, if U can get someone to fix it.
A Golf 4 is just as Good & U can get someone to fix it.
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by DisGuy: 9:00pm On Jul 11, 2009
trisurface:

I dont know about em smart cars. I travel a bit and i wont be caught dead in that on Benin -Ore. i also live in a lagos suburb,soooo, its not really working fer me.Believe me, I 've been priviledged to see a whole 4tonner halfway buried in the earth when the ground under it gave way on the same express.Truly a sight to see before U die!
I appreciate the low fuel consumption, totally recyclable materials,The green feeling & cred that comes with it, but we're not ready yet. i've seen 2mercedes benz types in Ikoyi & they RATTLE.
Also, how much of your family can U move in the thing.
What if you all have a bit of circumference round the waist?
The mini is a lot better, if U can get someone to fix it.
A Golf 4 is just as Good & U can get someone to fix it.

LMAO!!
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ceaser: 9:05pm On May 26, 2012
equlibrium: wat can i say? embarassed
nigerians lik big big tins grin grin grin
big cars, big bumbum, big boobs, big dicks. . .
if its big, we lov it, sori dude
Lmfao. I can't nor fit laff too much o. My belle o, my back o.

Anyway, seriously, will you consider cars like Benz smart 4 two, Audi A2, Nissan Pixo, Toyota aeon, Suzuki Alto, Mini, or Kia picanto as smart cars cos I'm really planning to get one of those for my wife. Can't continue churning out much for a hungry lexus SUV. Not unless you consider those smart cars.
Re: Smart Car. Would You Use/Buy One? by ceaser: 9:08pm On May 26, 2012
Dis Guy: we just like big cars for some reason undecided
You'll also notice, there are very few coupe on the road
everyone wants a big family car even if its only them driving 7days a week

This car will be very nice for calmer states like ogun and kwara
in Lagos you'll get bullied off the road-you'll be mistaken for a new version
of keke napep by those crazy okada riders grin
Rebranded Keke NAPEP. Lol. Lawd a' mercy.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Nigeria Used Ford F150 2003 Model-2005 / Install GPS Tracker On Your Car And Get Peace Of Mind. / Respect Your Elders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.