Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": (1765 Views)

Nigerians Have Very High Self Esteem! / Nigerians Have Very Low Self-esteem / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ezeagu(m): 5:54pm On Jun 09, 2009
. . . . . . Then why did Olaudah Equiano, an "Eboe" abolitionist, propose it all the way back in 1789 as well? The state of Israel wasn't exactly a paradise then and Jewish people weren't exactly the most richest in those days (or the most liked), they didn't even have a state, so why would Olaudah Equiano, an established man, latch on to the Jews among all people (why not the English?) because of "self esteem issues"?

Read the last paragraph on this page till page 27: http://books.google.com/books?id=FXVkAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&#PPA22,M1
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ow11(m): 6:04pm On Jun 09, 2009
Why are you bothering us with circumstantial evidence? If you are serious about proving your semitic origin, there are modern methods like DNA testing for example that would put this issue to rest.

Just do that and post the results before you begin to bore us with all this hearsay evidence.
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ezeagu(m): 6:08pm On Jun 09, 2009
ow11:

Why are you bothering us with circumstantial evidence? If you are serious about proving your semitic origin, there are modern methods like DNA testing for example that would put this issue to rest.

Just do that and post the results before you begin to bore us with all this hearsay evidence.

Could you answer this question, did anyone tell you to click the link? If no ones gonna offer up any evidence then who is going to care in doing the DNA test in the first place?
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ow11(m): 6:19pm On Jun 09, 2009
ezeagu:

Could you answer this question, did anyone tell you to click the link? If no ones gonna offer up any evidence then who is going to care in doing the DNA test in the first place?

The people who care that they are black Jews should care to do the test else we would continue to see their claim as what the title of this thread suggests.
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ezeagu(m): 6:22pm On Jun 09, 2009
ow11:

The people who care that they are black Jews should care to do the test else we would continue to see their claim as what the title of this thread suggests.

Wow, I didn't know it was that simple! BTW I don't believe in the term "black Jews", but thats just me. . . . . .
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ow11(m): 6:38pm On Jun 09, 2009
ezeagu:

Wow, I didn't know it was that simple! BTW I don't believe in the term "black Jews", but thats just me. . . . . .

It is that simple. . . The Lemba tribe of Zimbabwe had such claims and have done DNA tests to prove their semitic origins. You can read up http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8900243 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemba OR pay a visit to Zimbabwe to ask how they did it if you don't believe the links.
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by romeo(m): 12:15am On Jun 10, 2009
I am Igbo and i am not a Jew!! what is wrong with my people? I am IGBO
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ezeagu(m): 1:11am On Jun 10, 2009
romeo:

I know where Igbo, but there are groups around the word which are of semitic descent, I just want to know if there is any truth to this since there is credible evidence, can you understand?
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ChinenyeN(m): 5:08am On Jun 10, 2009
There's a difference between Semitic and Jewish descent. For that reason, I always don't miss the opportunity to say that we are not Jews, or descended from Jews. If anything, we may have some links with/to the Hebrews, but not the current Jews. Also, even if DNA was tested, I doubt that it would prove much, because Igbo people in the past did not interrelate, or intermingle much, until colonialism. For that reason, even if there are signs of Semitic descent, it will most likely be localized to one, or a few small groups, and will probably not be very widespread.

Just my thoughts.
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ow11(m): 7:57am On Jun 10, 2009
romeo:

lol

ezeagu:

I know where Igbo, but there are groups around the word which are of semitic descent, I just want to know if there is any truth to this since there is credible evidence, can you understand?

So Olaudah Equiano's thoughts and postulations count as credible evidence? This same man that married a white woman and refused to relocate to Sierra Leone?

ChinenyeN:

There's a difference between Semitic and Jewish descent. For that reason, I always don't miss the opportunity to say that we are not Jews, or descended from Jews. If anything, we may have some links with/to the Hebrews, but not the current Jews. Also, even if DNA was tested, I doubt that it would prove much, because Igbo people in the past did not interrelate, or intermingle much, until colonialism. For that reason, even if there are signs of Semitic descent, it will most likely be localized to one, or a few small groups, and will probably not be very widespread.

Just my thoughts.

Fathers always give Y-STR chromosones to their sons and mothers give mtDNA to their daughters. I wouldn't bore you with the details but you can find more online. This Jewish origin hypothesis will be proven by modern science to be true or false and not by write-ups from people with questionable motives. It may very well be true but we can not say so until the proponents of this myth like the OP grow some balls and do the damn test.
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by tpiah: 1:51pm On Jun 10, 2009
I dont really see why this issue is such a big deal.

Jews of today are a mixed bunch, just like the Jews of ancient times. They arent the original Hebrews of the bible (who were also mixed btw).

They've always been mixed ever since the relocation to Egypt. Likewise, they got more admixture during their stay in Babylon. By WWII, many were in Europe and most looked exactly like Europeans. Why? Because they were Europeans.

Olaudah Equiano obviously included that part of his narratives because he heard it from somewhere.

The reason the Jews always stood out in ancient times was because they rigidly stuck to the worship of one God, no matter where they were. At least outwardly. Back then that was unusual (and very stubborn) since 98% of other nations were idol worshippers.

anyway, to each his own.
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ezeagu(m): 9:14pm On Jun 10, 2009
tpiah:

I dont really see why this issue is such a big deal.

Jews of today are a mixed bunch, just like the Jews of ancient times. They arent the original Hebrews of the bible (who were also mixed btw).

They've always been mixed ever since the relocation to Egypt. Likewise, they got more admixture during their stay in Babylon. By WWII, many were in Europe and most looked exactly like Europeans. Why? Because they were Europeans.

Olaudah Equiano obviously included that part of his narratives because he heard it from somewhere.

The reason the Jews always stood out in ancient times was because they rigidly stuck to the worship of one God, no matter where they were. At least outwardly. Back then that was unusual (and very stubborn) since 98% of other nations were idol worshippers.

anyway, to each his own.

Thank you Tpiah.

ChinenyeN:

Just my thoughts.

Same thought, than you ChineyeN.

ow11:

Fathers always give Y-STR chromosones to their sons and mothers give mtDNA to their daughters. I wouldn't bore you with the details but you can find more online. This Jewish origin hypothesis will be proven by modern science to be true or false and not by write-ups from people with questionable motives. It may very well be true but we can not say so until the proponents of this myth like the OP grow some balls and do the damn test.

Maybe you should 'grow some balls' and stop posting in topics that "bore" you.

ow11:

So Olaudah Equiano's thoughts and postulations count as credible evidence? This same man that married a white woman and refused to relocate to Sierra Leone?

Yeah, he's also the one that rejected his slave name, kept his Igbo name, wrote a whole chapter on his home country and not to mention that he was an abolitionist which put his life at a great risk by setting himself against the whole establishment of Great Britain. Imagine all the money he could have received from slave traders if he condoned the trade.

What has Sierra Leone got to do with anything, is it his home? Many did not want to go to Sierra Leone, why? because they would have to start all over again, again, imagine all the abolition work Olaudah would have been out of touch with. I would advise you not to be irrational in trying to prove a point.
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by tpiah: 4:33am On Jun 11, 2009
ezeagu:

Thank you Tpiah.

Yeah, he's also the one that rejected his slave name, kept his Igbo name, wrote a whole chapter on his home country and not to mention that he was an abolitionist which put his life at a great risk by setting himself against the whole establishment of Great Britain. Imagine all the money he could have received from slave traders if he condoned the trade.

What has Sierra Leone got to do with anything, is it his home? Many did not want to go to Sierra Leone, why? because they would have to start all over again, again, imagine all the abolition work Olaudah would have been out of touch with. I would advise you not to be irrational in trying to prove a point.

You're welcome.

His foreign name was Gustavus Vassa. He probably didnt revive his African name until he wrote that biography.

And while he was an abolitionist, he wasnt the only one, or even one of the prime movers. The abolitionists back then used many blacks and enslaved Africans to help get their message across to the white public. They also used black slave traders who had been captured, enslaved and were trying to return to their home villages in Nigeria.

seriously, I dont know why you keep worrying yourself about all these things. Why not just privately believe what you want to believe - that way you wont get upset when people study the same things you're studying but still dont see it the same way as you.
Re: If The Proposed Jewish Origin Of The Igbo Is Because Of "self Esteem Issues": by ezeagu(m): 10:16am On Jun 11, 2009
tpiah:

You're welcome.

His foreign name was Gustavus Vassa. He probably didnt revive his African name until he wrote that biography.

And while he was an abolitionist, he wasnt the only one, or even one of the prime movers. The abolitionists back then used many blacks and enslaved Africans to help get their message across to the white public. They also used black slave traders who had been captured, enslaved and were trying to return to their home villages in Nigeria.

seriously, I dont know why you keep worrying yourself about all these things. Why not just privately believe what you want to believe - that way you wont get upset when people study the same things you're studying but still dont see it the same way as you.

Well I guess people are going to believe what they wan to, until its proven it will not be taken seriously. Again, thanks to everyone that posted on this thread.

(1) (Reply)

Groom Who Lost Visiting Family Members In The Dana Crash Weds, WAS IT WRONG? / The Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo- Study / Shocking Culture Of Child Marriages In Southern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.