Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,083 members, 7,818,240 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

My Gnld Experience (2) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Gnld Experience (2) (1015 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Gnld Experience (2) by nuatin(m): 1:35am On Dec 24, 2015
“Good morning ladies and gentlemen” one of the usher – a lady finally greeted us.
“Welcome to Virtual Human Resources and Corporate Service, Please bear with us for the delay in the interview as we are about to start now. . .”
The lady that took our print out came out from the door with some paper that looks like question paper. Our attention was now drawn to the lady as she walks over to the usher guy and handed the papers to him gesticulating in a manner that implies that they should start the interview immediately.
The lady that was addressing us; Tolu was her name as she introduced herself earlier told us that the interview is of two sections which are written and oral.
“The written section which is about to start and it will hold for an hour while the oral section will last for 30 minutes, you will start by 10:30am, and stop by 11:30am” she stated as she points to the wall clock that was adjacent to the door where the questions paper came from.
She instructed us to switch off our phone so that there won’t be any distraction during the interview. The usher guy distributed the question papers to us and by the time he had given the last question paper to the applicants, it was about 10:24am.
“Am i in the wrong company?” I thought to myself. The notifications i got from both email and text were from vconsults but am in a hall that belongs to another company that says VHRSC. All these went through my mind as i scanned the hall for any clue. Then i noticed a group portrait that was oppositely facing the hall. In the picture are the team of VHRSC with their names carefully inscribed beneath the portraits according to their position in the picture. Well it seems genuine to me that moment as i strained my eyes to check if i could recognize any of the staffs in the picture that had attended to us so far but i couldn’t discern any of the face in the picture because my sight was beyond my far point from where i sat.
In the hall was another plasma tv but a bigger one compared to one downstairs where the receptionist was stationed, then the usher guy that distributed our questionnaire to we the applicants switched on the plasma tv from the socket on the wall. Their company name “Virtual Human Resources And Corporate Service” popped up on the screen, then Tolu gave us the go ahead to start the first interview section. The questions on the papers were more like an O’ level economics and it stated we should attempt 5 out of the 8 questions – a typical 3 unit course exam in Yabatech. I reminisced as i attempted the first question.
After the hour mark and our question papers were submitted, the man in suit that talked to us earlier downstairs showed up. Tolu then introduced him to us as Mr Lewis as she urged us to applaud him as he walks to the front of the hall.
“Good afternoon great Nigerians” he began jovially.
“My name is Lewis aluko, and i will take you in the second section of the interview which is the oral section” he said.
“The more participative you are, the better chance you have of being selected”.
Lewis further explained that the oral section will be more of interactive session rather than individual evaluation.
The session was full of comedy. You should see how candidates in the hall fumbled during the oral session answering the questions woefully all because they wanted to be employed.
The question Lewis asked during the oral session were the same questions that was presented to us on paper. It was a mere correction exercise as he asked the questions and also gave the right answers to them.
“Mention the factors of production” Lewis read out from the questions paper to us.
I raised my hand just like everyone did.
“Yes you over there” he said, pointing to the lady that was about two seats behind me.
“Land, Labour, Capital and Consumer” the lady answered.
“Nope, not quite” Lewis said unimpressed.
“Yes?” He pointed to another lady.
Clearly, this dude had been chivalrously picking ladies during the interview. Out of eight applicants he called, six were ladies. I couldn’t blame him though when even the guys in the hall made me bow my head in shame as their answers to the questions were quite embarrassing.
Imagine a guy mentioned “Computer” as one of the factors of production which made one of the usher in the hall to burst out in laughter.
“Land, Labour, capital, and entrepreneur” the lady answered.
“Brilliant!” Lewis extolled.
I could only list 3 out of the 4 factors that the lady mentioned during the written test. i wasn’t familiar with entrepreneur. But from the responses of other applicants and correction from Lewis, i knew i didn’t do well in the written test but at least i knew i scored above average as i went through the question paper.
The interactive session went on for more than 30 minutes as stipulated as Lewis then introduced another usher to take over from him -The lady that collected our print out. She introduced herself as Joy, the HR of VHR.
She told us she wasn’t impressed with our response during the interactive session as she observed from the back of the hall.
“I don’t mean to be rude but a graduate saying that examples of a natural resources is manpower makes me want to question both his intelligence and his certificate”
Everyone chuckled in the hall except the guy that she was referring to. I felt for the guy for being the butt of the joke, especially coming from a woman. Her words might sound disrespectful but she was right. She began to bore us with the story of her life, how she graduated from one reputable university and she had worked in three different banks in the past five years but she wasn’t contented as she wanted more out of life.
“Today i can boast of at least two properties in Lagos and one in my native village, thanks to this wonderful opportunity” she said flatulently.
Indeed, she was a good orator as she went on and on for like half an hour. In between her sugar-coated lecture, about three of the job applicants had left the hall while like three to four late applicants replaced them.
Then a lady walks into the hall, Joy paused for a moment as she saw her.
“Everybody say God bless my diamond” Joy shouted.
We the applicants were confused by her sudden outburst but the other staffs in the hall seems to understood her as they also roared in unison.
“God bless my diamond!”
Still confused by the moment of madness, me and the guy sitting beside each other in the hall exchanged looks.
“Are we safe?” He whispered.
“I hope so o” I said.
The lady that walks in happened to be the MD of the company. She has a great height and her slim body made her height prominent. She’s quite pretty and probably in her late 20’s. She smiled and waved at we the applicants as she went through the door where Joy brought the questions paper from which was apparently her office.
“That is the MD of VHRSC” said Joy.
“She earns more than any branch manager of any bank in Nigeria”
My ears twitched by what she said. I bet other applicants in the hall mused in disbelief too. Joy told us she just arrived from Switzerland about three days ago.
A moment ago, she was blowing her trumpet but now she’s exalting her boss. Then Lewis walked to joy and mutteringly said something to her, then Joy turned to us.
“Our MD will like to see all of you now”
Tolu ushered about eight of the first applicants that occupied the front seats in the hall into the MD’s office while we the other applicants waited for our turn.
For more than an hour that i had been in the organization, I’d even forgotten about Vconsult and am already getting along with VHRCS but there was a part of me that was still dubious about the interview.
From the office, we could hear the MD addressing the first sets of the applicants in her office. Three of the applicants came out of the office. The countenance on their faces were dissatisfactory as they left the hall while the other applicants that seem to have being favoured were taken to the back of the hall by one of the usher. Then the rest of us were now summoned into the MD’s office.
The first thing that my eyes caught when we entered the office was the banner that was beside the MD’s desk which has their company logo and a “Win a trip to sun city” was boldly printed on it. The office was well organized and behind the desk where the MD sat was an air conditioner which was switched off but the windows in her office were opened to allow ventilation but not so much of clean air as the window reveals that her office was directly opposite the highways as exhausted fumes from vehicles could be seen diffusing into the air while some find its way into the office through the window.
On her desk were the normal office supplies ; desk blotters, tape dispensers, organizing racks,stapler and pen holders were fastidiously arranged before her, and also on her desk were three plaques and one of the plaques was identical to the Oscars. I was quite amused by the Oscar on her table because the only Africans i know that had the real Oscars are Lupita Nyong’o and Charlize Theron. And i don’t think there is one in this continent, let alone in a suburban area of Lagos.
The MD was busy with her laptop when we entered her office. Her office had only three chairs available and i was the first of the three candidates that sat on them; i sat in the middle. Finally she looked up as she put her laptop aside, she clamped her fingers as she examined each of we the applicants faces. She then smiled.
“Good afternoon greatest Nigerian youths” she finally spoke.
“My name is Catherine Bazuka, by God’s grace the MD of this wonderful establishment, but before i introduce myself further i would like you all to introduce yourself” she said pointing to the lady beside me. The lady introduced herself, telling her the school she graduated from and the state she served, which in turn i did and also the next person beside me till the last applicants in the office. Then Catherine began her own story, it seems all the staff of this company all do have stories to tell but yet to mention what their company is all about. Although, the facilities in the halls and the office made the environ convincing and genuine which are one of the reason i gave them the benefits of the doubt.
Catherine told us that she had been in this organization for three years and she became a millionaire through this company business.
“Yes you heard me, am a millionaire” she affirmed as she saw the doubts on our faces.
“I could have shown you my cheques to you guys as a proof but am being security conscious because i don’t know who is who and i don’t want to be a target of being robbed” she said.
Her reasons for not showing the cheques to we the applicants seems plausible but the six figures she claimed she earns was quite unbelievable.
Well to cut the long story short, i was among the four applicants that did paid for the supposed training fees which was =N=8500.
Of course i didn’t come along with such money, i went to a nearby bank to withdraw from the ATM. I didn’t go alone, Catherine had me followed by one of her staffs. When we returned to their office with the cash, i was surprised by the numbers of people that i met in the hall.
“These are applicants like you that are undergoing training and they are now partners with the company” Lewis explained when i asked.
This business must really be a money-spinner, i thought to myself as i gave the money to Joy and she gave me a form to fill my details and sign which i did, then i was given a bag which contains some magazines and a GNLD supplement. I never knew the content of the bag until i got home that evening.
Believe me or not, i have never heard of GNLD before but i had heard of Multi-level marketing business which i was first introduced to by my roommate back in Akwa Ibom.
I never knew i had signed up for GNLD, i mean a Multi-level marketing that i was naive about. I never realized how much i had been brainwashed until i finally dumped the company about six months later. But before i did left, i had gone through almost all the rudiments that made up the syndicates. It’s an experience i can’t add to my CV. I burned the bridges as i left.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Gnld Experience (2) by Unionised(m): 1:50am On Dec 24, 2015
NLC, EFCC and other RELEVANT regulatory bodies will not see these scammers for who they are.

BLOODSUCKERS!!!

And we say government is corrupt.

Are we privates not the government.

OP, sorry oooo.
You gained invaluable experience.

Safe to say, YOU'VE PAID YOUR DUES.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Gnld Experience (2) by jasper7(m): 2:33am On Dec 24, 2015
I don't know why Nigerians still fall for all these. What annoys me most about it is that we are promoting other foreign companies, companies that should not even be allowed into the shores of Nigeria. yet, we promote them and the Nigerian SME's are suffering big time. @Nuatin sorry you had to learn the hard way cool
Re: My Gnld Experience (2) by Nobody: 5:06am On Dec 24, 2015
grin
Re: My Gnld Experience (2) by nuatin(m): 11:22am On Dec 24, 2015
Don't know why the appropiate Nigerian authority had not sanction them
Re: My Gnld Experience (2) by Nobody: 4:26am On Jan 09, 2016
Opp, u will like to have a chat with you. Am currently with one of them in Portharcourt now. Mehn, can't believe I have already given out 23k to them. 13k for the form and 10k for team leader whatever which I didn't get. What marvel is the no of in this so called company. They bear another name, but but nah GLND dem be. 08061170028. Pls let's chat
Re: My Gnld Experience (2) by nuatin(m): 12:56pm On Jan 18, 2016
Sorry it took me so long to reply u. I'd not been online for a long time now

(1) (Reply)

Don't! / Aja 2 (story Of The Dogs) #nlwriters / Accused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.