Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,491 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? (19001 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Anambra Debate Team Triumphs In Singapore, Returns With Trophy- Pictures / Anambra Debate Team Shines In Singapore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by austino677(m): 3:20pm On Dec 28, 2015
All these copy and paste words i go read shocked
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Fynestboi: 3:21pm On Dec 28, 2015
Jarus:

Scores sent to you.

smiley
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Fynestboi: 3:21pm On Dec 28, 2015
austino677:
All these copy and paste words i go read shocked

They ain't copy and paste sir...
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by tosyne2much(m): 3:24pm On Dec 28, 2015
Abuklaw:
Thank you for the rejoinder. I wonder what he would have said if was representing The Federal Polytechnic, Ede where I finished national diploma in the third quarter of this year.

Self development can't be compared to anything. It is a student that can shape his own future not his citadel of learning. It's painful that people still look at Polytechnic students disdainfully.

My colleagues from The Polytechnic, Ibadan are not march over. Sammyscholar and his fellow are exemplary poly students.
Many Nigerian students in reputable institutions such as Unilag, U.I, Uniben, OAU and the likes; are always claiming that their schools are the hardest, hence, discriminating and belittling other students of various institutions cheesy

All I know is that, your school sometimes does not define you. If you cannot define yourself regardless of your institution or your course of study, then you are as good as nothing

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by salisy: 3:29pm On Dec 28, 2015
I have met lots of ABU graduates whose brains were empty as sucked oranges

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Abuklaw(m): 3:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
tosyne2much:
Many Nigerian students in reputable institutions such as Unilag, U.I, Uniben, OAU and the likes; are always claiming that their schools are the hardest, hence, discriminating and belittling other students of various institutions cheesy

All I know is that, your school sometimes does not define you. If you cannot define yourself regardless of your institution or your course of study, then you are good as nothing
I frequently embark on ideological orientation on campus here. The fact that your school is first generation, rich in alumni, have state of the art infrastructures etc is not enough to earn one dream job or fulfilment of potential. It's the training that one subjects oneself to that determine whether one will stand tall or otherwise.

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by alwelldinho(m): 3:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
if the results no wan come, can we just do a voice vote?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by tosyne2much(m): 3:37pm On Dec 28, 2015
alwelldinho:
Bro, kindly exercise patience

We are collating the results cool
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by tartar9(m): 3:37pm On Dec 28, 2015
is it only Einstein they're using as case-study.what of me

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Owoplenty(m): 3:38pm On Dec 28, 2015
darrytoz:
Good day to the esteemed judges, erudite coordinators, fellow debaters, and the informed spectators. I am Darrytoz, the second speaker of the polytechnic ibadan. I am here to speak on the motion ''geniuses are made not born''.

GENIUS:an exceptionally intelligent person or one with exceptional skill in a particular area of activity.

"Genius are made, not born'', this encouraging saying has driven a great number of parents to explore their children's potential by all educational means. Books like The Da Vinci curse by Leonardo Lospernato do a good job of summing up a problem of our time that anyone striving to be a universal genius will inevitably fail.
Because today, unlike in Da Vinci's time, there is so much competition out there in every field that only people who devote themselves to one subject are successful. Anyone who wants to be a professional high flyer, the 'father of the year', a star violinist, a globetrotter and an art connoisseur all at once should either rethink his priorities or feel satisfied about being incredibly mediocre in each of these fields. After all, it is rare for a genius to be an all-rounder.

Alleged geniuses like Mozart, Geoethe and Picasso are not famous the world over for their unique inborn gifts, they were simply lucky enough to be born with a certain amount of talent that they could then activate with a whole lot of hard work and dedication. Anyone who wants to emulate a genius should take note of the fact that neither Mozart nor Einstein changed his profession every couple of years.
One reason why Steve Jobs was so successful was that he put all his energy into one thing and in the process sacrificed his chance of ever winning the 'father of the year' award. It is not to say that his path does not have potholes, traffic and detours, but instead that only people who experiment without fear of failure and accept that they can learn from it are bound to produce great things.
Over 100 years ago, Napoleon Hill asked himself whether the success of outstanding personalities could be explained by a formula. Did they all use the same toothpaste? Did they all follow the same traveling priest? Hill's answer which he used as as the basis for his book ''Think and Grow Rich'', was far more rudimentary for him, success and wealth were the consequence of having a clear goal and a burning desire to achieve it. And so, we can reinforce what we already knew about Mozart, Einstein and Jobs: they all worked hard and were ready to accept mistakes and failures.

Despite the widely-held belief that geniuses are all child prodigies, a race apart from ordinary mortals, a British psychologist claimed that the secret of their success lay more in hard work than in any innate intellectual gifts.
Genuine creative achievements depend more on perseverance over the long haul than on prodigrous childhood skills. We cannot all be geniuses but we can learn from them. What makes geniuses special is their long-term commitment. They struggle very hard and they keep on persisting. They enjoy their work. They excel at concentrating and persevering. Their efforts are focused, and all geniuses have a firm sense of direction. Like everybody else, even the greatest minds that have ever existed have had to struggle and strive to achieve their goals.

In conclusion, people can only truly be geniuses or achieve success if they work hard and consciously choose certain options over others. Veering off the paths of mediocrity and taking drastic measures. Becoming a genius is both a choice, that is within everyone's reach, and a difficult journey that one has to necessarily undertake (a quest that challenges you to self-actualize).
Genius become what they want to and manifest what their hidden potentialities are to state otherwise or to assert that they are either born or made is to continue paying homage to a false dichotomy that has longed outlived its usefulness. Thank you.

References
the-mouse-trap.com
www.dumblittleman.com
viviengg.
www.theguardian.com/uk
www.cewativitypost.com
seconded, your precision is unique
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Fynestboi: 3:38pm On Dec 28, 2015
alwelldinho:

grin
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by alwelldinho(m): 3:39pm On Dec 28, 2015
tosyne2much:
Bro, kindly exercise patience

We are collating the results cool
I pray you dont come out with an inconclusive result

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by tosyne2much(m): 3:43pm On Dec 28, 2015
Abuklaw:
I frequently embark on ideological orientation on campus here. The fact that your school is first generation, rich in alumni, have state of the art infrastructures etc is not enough to earn one dream job or fulfilment of potential. It's the training that one subjects oneself to that determine whether one will stand tall or otherwise.
Wooooow !!! I like this cheesy

To further buttress your point, that your institution is ranked amongst the top 5 institutions in Nigeria does not mean that you would be automatically employed to an organization without thorough assessment or evaluation

I just hope that this ego of "I'm schooling in the hardest school in Nigeria", will not lead many people into having misplaced priorities

I was so amazed to see a student who opined that Unilag students would perform better in a debate like this. Wtf !!

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by InbornGenius: 3:45pm On Dec 28, 2015
Catalyst4real:
Name: Catalyst4real
School: Ahmadu Bello University

(Geniuses are born, not made.)

Who is a Genius? what best qualifies a man to be called a Genius?

Are Geniuses a product of hard work, determination and self enhancements or an expression of inborn Intelligence?

I'm so apt on diving into this duel and getting to the root of it, but it would be a melancholy not to recognize the presence of the honourable judges, the coordinators, my indispensable colleagues, my tenacious opponents and of course, the proficient audience.

Alexander The Great defined Genius as an "Exceptional Intellectual natural ability and talent"
That's right; "Natural"

School doesn't make you a Genius, education doesn't make you a Genius, hard work doesn't make you a Genius, they only reveal the Genius in you; Genius is inborn.

William James Sidis, who is considered one of the most Intelligent men on earth, with an I.Q of 250 was able to teach arithmetic to a 5 year old, when he himself was just 2.

A lot of children can barely even speak at the age of 2. He mastered over 40 languages at the age of 11; Now that's a genius, a gift nature offered him freely.

Being a Genius involves a ravishing display of "Exceptional" Intelligence.

Isn't this remarkable? 40 languages at the age of 11, no measure of self developments and enhancement can match this God given Intellect.

Williams didn't really make himself a genius, it was a natural talent.

It is impossible to speak about Geniuses and leave out the almighty Albert Einstein with an exceptional Intelligence Quotient, who single handedly pulled the world of physics to unparalleled heights.

Einstein displayed his Genius through physics and is most remembered for solving the mystery of relativity, with his formula for Binding energy

You are not a genius until your Intelligence solves a problem.

Being a genius is more than just being intelligent. It is more than just digesting knowledge and replicating it in an examination.

Real Geniuses are those who close the gap between imagination and reality.

Geniuses invent ideas, Imagining solutions to mysteries and laying them down.

Imagination is the fuel of every Genius, seeing possibilities behind every undeciphered mystery.

Seeing things the way no one else does.

As students all we do is to acquire knowledge and embrace understanding. The real Geniuses are those who laid-down the knowledge.

A century ago, who would have embraced the fact that we'll have machines flying in the sky (Airplanes) or posses the device that allows us to be able to speak to people millions of miles away.

But someone imagined it, and saw the possibility.

The human brain is a very exceptional organ. When Sir Albert Einstein died, scientist extricated his brain and studied it, with the hope of finding out what made his brain posses such exceptional intelligence. They didn't succeed.

Ultimately, they were hoping to find out the source of his intelligence, to create more specimens with Einstein's brain capacity.

As futile as it turned out, that's exactly what it means. Genius isn't an artificially acquired trait, but an expression of the natural Intelligence within.

If Geniuses are actually made and not born. Why isn't everyone a genius? Practically speaking

Why don't we have too many people with William's and Einstein's Intelligence today?

Why are geniuses very rare? Ruminate on these things

Some things you make and other things, nature provides naturally, Genius is one of them.

How can we even come to terms with the fact that Geniuses are sole products of hard work? When Gregor Mendel's law of Inheritance, clearly assigns Intelligence as an Inherited trait. One that can be transfered from generation to generation.

And this theory received worldwide accreditation, If it is globally agreed that Intelligence can be transferred from one successive generation to another through gene, do I even need to make it more obvious that Geniuses are Born and not made?

Neither of us is estranged to the fact that some people would read for hours into days, denying themselves of pleasure and comfort and at the end of the day, still unable to deliver.

The truth is, nothing can make you intelligent if you don't have it in you.
If Intelligence can be transferred through genetics, so can dullness.
Geniuses are born and cannot by any realistic means, be made.

I must be courteous enough to agree with my opponents to a certain degree; Hard work, persistence, diligence and dedication do help in making the genius.

Simply because, Intelligence is just like crude oil, on it's own, it is close to useless. It's societal usefulness only unveils when it is refined.

But the facts remain the same. You cannot make something out of nothing.

It will give me immense satisfaction, if with these indelible enunciation, I've been able to quench the flames of unbelief and scepticism and outrightly, beyond immeasurable doubt proved to you all that indeed Geniuses are born and not made .

Reference

[url]listovative.com[/url] (People with the highest I.Q)
[url]Google.com[/url] (Life of Sir Albert Einstein)

This guy just killed it cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by tosyne2much(m): 3:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
alwelldinho:
I pray you dont come out with an inconclusive result
This is NOT a political election, so relax your mind cheesy

This is an intellectual debate so it cannot be rigged cheesy
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by TruthHurts1(m): 3:48pm On Dec 28, 2015
Fynestboi:

Ibadan Polytechnic paki? You must be joking Ibadan Polytechnic won the second spot in the last edition... undecided

When the DG of the NYSC complained about the poor quality of University and Polytechnic products earlier this year, I sympathised with him because I know the kind of mediocrity he must be forced to put up with in the name of national service. In my line of work, I've met products of many polytechnics (and yes that includes the polytechnic ibadan) who can't construct a simple sentence in English or carry out a simple instruction because it was given in English, so I know what I'm talking about.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Shynaboy1: 3:53pm On Dec 28, 2015
@fynestboi...I don't knw if I could be chanced to participate in AAUA's debate tomorrow or are the contestants complete already?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Catalyst4real: 3:55pm On Dec 28, 2015
InbornGenius:

This guy just killed it cheesy cheesy cheesy
I remain humble bro
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Fynestboi: 3:58pm On Dec 28, 2015
Shynaboy1:
@fynestboi...I don't knw if I could be chanced to participate in AAUA's debate tomorrow or are the contestants complete already?

If you can please go ahead. While. Mailing any of them..
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Shynaboy1: 4:03pm On Dec 28, 2015
Fynestboi:

If you can please go ahead. While. Mailing any of them..
perhaps you can do well regarding this b'cos I don't knw them..
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by TruthHurts1(m): 4:05pm On Dec 28, 2015
tosyne2much:
Bro, I think that was a senseless and myopic assertion. However, your institution does not really speak volume of how brilliant you are

You can be a student of Unilag and be as dumb as a sheep and vice versa. Studying in a renowned institution does not necessarily mean you are academically better than the students studying in unpopular/unknown institutions

*Self development is all that matters in life*

"Bro" if you had any basic grasp on intelligence, you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself big time on Nairaland.
There is a reason why we have ranking systems for universities and polytechnics not only in this country but across the globe, and that reason is the basic fact that some institutions are better than others, in much the same way that some football teams are better than others.
Your contention that this competiton is based on individual and not collective merit is given the lie when we see that it is an "INTER-UNIVERSITY" competition and not an Inter-Student one.
Next time simply consult the NUC's ratings of best tertiary institutions before you invite participants for your competition if you're serious about holding a quality event.
From what I have seen so far, my position seems to have been validated because the submission from ABU is the best effort.

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:

Lwkmd... Is your HOD a Marxist?

Those men mean,.,
Philosophy student, yeah?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Memyselfu2009(m): 4:07pm On Dec 28, 2015
Genius are Made not born. When a child is born that's child is in a blank slate in a state called Tabula rasa the family is the first agent of socialization where the child learn to eat talk walk the child also learn the norms and value of the society thru the family, learning first take place in the family every Genius must first learn first from there family and society.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
Oliviaarims:

Philosophy student, yeah?
Philosopher... Yeah...
You?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 28, 2015
Jarus:

Hi Sammyscholar,

You did largely well, but you need to do more on proofreading your write-ups for subject-verb concord. For example, in the last paragraph, it should be "[bold]genuises[/bold]...are born", not "[bold]genuis[/bold]...are born". Singular subject ([bold]genuis[/bold]) is followed by "is", not "are".

Also, your use of "Conclusively" in the last paragraph is wrong. It should be "In conclusion..". Conclusively means "Without doubt" or "overwhelmingly proved".

Otherwise, you did well. Scores sent to judge.
And you need to work on your spelling.#IHATEHYPOCRITES
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:

Philosopher... Yeah...
You?
Same.
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by tosyne2much(m): 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2015
TruthHurts1:

"Bro" if you had any basic grasp on intelligence, you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself big time on Nairaland.
There is a reason why we have ranking systems for universities and polytechnics not only in this country but across the globe, and that reason is the basic fact that some institutions are better than others, in much the same way that some football teams are better than others.
Your contention that this competiton is base on individual and not collective merit is given the lie when we see that it is an "INTER-UNIVERSITY" competition and not an Inter-Student one.
Next time simply consult the NUC's ratings of best tertiary institutions before you invite participants for your competition if you're serious about holding a quality event.
From what I have seen so far, my position seems to have been validated because the submission from ABU is the best effort.

What has ranking got to do with this ? Your earlier comment which discriminated against other students of other institutions was totally uncalled for (awon pako universities and polytechnics). If this is your way of reasoning, then I have to say that you need to apply a propriety of wisdom, intelligence and maturity when talking. With your mode of talking and using you as an example, can you now see that your institution can be ranked first in Nigeria yet you could still reason like my cousin in KG1?

Though you tried to defend yourself but your comment still does not hold water at all. There's no point arguing with someone with a myopic way of reasoning.

I'm done with this argument. You won !!!

1 Like

Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Fynestboi: 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2015
Oliviaarims:

Same.

School? wink
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by tosyne2much(m): 4:19pm On Dec 28, 2015
Ladies and gentlemen, the results would be announced now cool

*Let's have MTN advert*
cool
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Aminat508(f): 4:21pm On Dec 28, 2015
Fynestboi:

School? wink
undecided
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by Shynaboy1: 4:28pm On Dec 28, 2015
fynestboi:
undecided
Boss, I'm patiently waiting. Can I knw the participants of AAUA?
Re: NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE Team 4: Geniuses are born not made? by tosyne2much(m): 4:29pm On Dec 28, 2015
Judge 1

ABUKLAW:
i. Presentation (opening, flow, closing,
response to judges questions,
audience questions and contestants
rebuttals) = 5
ii. Logic of arguments = 5
iii. Strength of facts, examples, cases =4
iv. Persuasiveness =4
v. Demonstration of knowledge and
understanding of the subject =5

Total=23

SAMMYSCHOLAR:
rebuttals) =4
ii. Logic of arguments =4
iv. Strength of facts, examples, cases. =4
4. Persuasiveness =3
understanding of the subject =4

Total= 19

CATALYST:
i. Presentation (opening, flow, closing, response to judges questions, audience questions and contestants
rebuttals) =4
iii. Strength of facts, examples, cases =4
iv. Persuasiveness =4
understanding of the subject =5

Total=21

DARRYTOZ:
rebuttals) =3
iii. Strength of facts, examples, cases. =5
iv. Persuasiveness =4
understanding of the subject =4

Total=20

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

k / See Senate’s Motion On LAUTECH Strike (Photo) / Minister Reiterates Ban On Post UTME.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.