Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,195 members, 7,829,278 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? (969 Views)

"Winners Chapel Would Soon Be Paying Tithes Of Trillions" - Bishop Oyedepo / "If Paying Tithes Makes You Rich, Bill Gates, Zuckerberg Would've Been Poor" / Church Members Paying Tithes With POS Inside Church (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? by simtosul: 12:36pm On Dec 27, 2015
Very often, this question has been asked by well-meaning Christians who are plagued by the torrents of appeal from churches for funds. Thrown into these appeals is the standard request to pay your tithes and offerings. Let me say from the very beginning that there is a distinct difference between giving to God and giving to "the church". Giving to God is a scriptural concept (Matt 22:21); Giving to "the church" could just be an emotional response to a well-orchestrated man-made appeal which is out of God's Will and God's Word. So it is important for us to study God's Word so that we are able to discern whether funds being solicited in a particular church are based on sound New Testament Scriptural principles. Prayer is the other means of helping to discern God's Will in a particular area of financial need (of such a church).

LAW OF FIRST MENTION
It is important when attempting to derive spiritual principles from the Bible on a particular subject to go back to the time it was first mentioned. When was "the tithe" first mentioned?
Gen 14:18-20
18 "Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High,
19 and he blessed Abram, saying, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth".
20 And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
(NIV)
Verse 20 says Abraham gave Melchizedek a tenth of everything. What is a tenth of everything?
Here we turn to The Living Bible for more clarification...
Gen 14:15-16
15 "He divided his men and attacked during the night from several directions, and pursued the fleeing army to Hobah, north of Damascus,
16 and recovered everything-- the loot that had been taken, his relative Lot, and all of Lot's possessions, including the women and other captives.
(TLB) Emphasis mine.
Gen 14:19
19 Then Melchizedek blessed Abram with this blessing: "The blessing of the supreme God, Creator of heaven and earth, be upon you, Abram; and blessed be God, who has delivered your enemies over to you." Then Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of all the loot.
(TLB) Emphasis mine.
From the verses above, it is clear that Abraham gave Melchizedek a tenth or ten percent of all the loot that has been recovered (verses 16 and 19 above) not of all that Abraham possessed. See also Hebrews Chapter 7 verse 4.
This is important because the tithe is based on the increase, not the capital.
The next time we hear of the word "tithe" is in Bethel after Jacob had his famous dream of angels ascending to and descending from heaven.
Gen 28:22
22 and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth." (NIV)
Notice that Jacob promised a tenth of what God intends to give him not a tenth of what he already had (not much though at this point in time). So once again we find that tithing is based on increase not capital.

TITHING IN THE GOSPELS

In the following two Scriptures, Jesus commanded observance to tithing as part of the Mosaic Law (which he was under).
Matt 23:23
23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices-- mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law-- justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. (NIV)
Luke 11:42
42 "Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone. (NIV)
Jesus said that it was not wrong to tithe the spices (which appear to be trifles to some) but that these teachers of the law and pharisees should also practice the other important matters OF THE LAW i.e. justice, mercy and faithfulness and the love of God. In the above context, Jesus implied that the pharisees were fastidious when it comes to tithing and other legal issues but they did not show the love of God in them. This, He defines as hypocrisy. Tithing to them is just an outward show of their self righteousness (see also Luke 18:12). Just as a reflection on this passage, if tithing was compulsory for the New Testament Christian, wouldn't it be a a sin if he forgets to tithe the "spices and herbs" or "flowers" he receives (as a gift)?

"TITHING" IN THE NEW TESTAMENT CHURCH

What is mentioned in the Scriptures with reference to the New Testament church is now relevant to all christians of all denominations.

PRINCIPLE NUMBER ONE

Giving is proportionate to the degree that God blesses a person without an obligatory figure being mentioned.
1Cor 16:1-2
1 "Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do".
2 "On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made". (NIV)

PRINCIPLE NUMBER TWO

Giving is from the heart.
In fact giving should be more appropriately termed free will offerings in the context of the New Testament Church for Paul commanded us to give as we purpose in our heart. If the amount is a fixed one, there will be no need to purpose in one's heart anymore!!
2Cor 9:7
7 "So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver". (NKJ)
I repeat there is no curse for "NOT TITHING" in the New Testament church (as is often implied on sermons from Malachi 3:10-12).We should not go back to Melchizedek (where tithing was an example and may be taken as a guide-line) or the Mosaic law (where tithing was by compulsion.) Our Lord has fulfilled all the requirements of the Mosaic Law and taken the curse of (not obeying) the Law away from us (Galatians 3:13). The New Testament Christian should abide by the teachings of the Apostle Paul (which has superseded Moses' Law.)
Christians who insist on keeping the Law of Moses or part of it are under a curse!
Gal 3:10
10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." (NIV)
So in summary, 'Giving' is a New Testament 'Church' Principle as opposed to tithing by Law (by compulsion.) Jesus clearly commanded (take note that it was not an option) that we have to give to God.
Matt 22:21
21 "Caesar's," they replied. Then he said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." (NIV)
"What is God's" implies a fixed sum. But we must remember that Jesus made the above statement in the context of the Mosaic Law which was still existent in His Time. Further on in the epistles, the Apostle Paul qualifies this "giving" as "from the heart" and proportionate to the degree that one is blessed. He specifically spoke against "compulsion" (from sources outside). Manipulating a person to give (whether directly or indirectly) is a form of witchcraft.
2Cor 9:7
7 "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver".
(NIV) Emphasis mine
"What he has decided in his heart to give" clearly has to be some amount (not zero). It may be ten percent or more. Well, it may even be less, but give as the Holy Spirit directs your heart; NOT AS THE PASTOR DIRECTS YOU. This is the distinct difference between giving to God and giving to the church.

1 Like

Re: Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? by ify84(m): 12:40pm On Dec 27, 2015
Pay if u want..., if you don't want to pay, leave,... This issue is over flogged
Re: Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? by Annunaki(m): 12:47pm On Dec 27, 2015
ify84:
Pay if u want..., if you don't want to pay, leave,... This issue is over flogged

But millions of people are still being misled into thinking that tithing is required of them as christians and thus being kept in bondage. The issue can never be over flogged as long as millions of believers are still being held hostage by the tithe scam.

1 Like

Re: Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? by fran6co(m): 3:43pm On Dec 27, 2015
trying to probe wat has been institutionalized is a mountainous task ....... ..

happy Sunday ya alll
Re: Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? by mrZENographer: 10:53pm On Dec 28, 2015
When you're giving to the church, you are directly giving to God. Have you seen God's hand before?
Tithe is a heavenly system institutionalized by God. It stemed from the book of Exodus and is mandatory for followers of God of all ages.

It is 10%. No MORE NO LESS. If you want to appreciate God by giving more, it is only seen as offering or seed of faith, thanksgiving. As it is layed in your heart, so give.
Re: Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? by dorox(m): 11:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
You said this in your op
What he has decided in his heart to give" clearly has to be some amount (not zero). It may be ten percent or more. Well, it may even be less, but give as the Holy Spirit directs your heart; NOT AS THE PASTOR DIRECTS YOU. This is the distinct difference between giving to God and giving to the church.
Then you contradicted yourself by saying this. Care to explain?

mrZENographer:
When you're giving to the church, you are directly giving to God. Have you seen God's hand before?
Tithe is a heavenly system institutionalized by God. It stemed from the book of Exodus and is mandatory for followers of God of all ages.

It is 10%. No MORE NO LESS. If you want to appreciate God by giving more, it is only seen as offering or seed of faith, thanksgiving. As it is layed in your heart, so give.
Re: Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? by mrZENographer: 11:00am On Jan 20, 2016
dorox:
You said this in your op

Then you contradicted yourself by saying this. Care to explain?

I wasnt the one who posted the first one. I was replying that post and said that when you are giving to a genuine man of God or the church, you are giving it to God.

Tithe is 10%, no add or minus. Offering/Seed of faith is whatever amount you want to give.
Re: Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? by Annunaki(m): 12:03pm On Jan 20, 2016
mrZENographer:

I wasnt the one who posted the first one. I was replying that post and said that when you are giving to a genuine man of God or the church, you are giving it to God.

Tithe is 10%, no add or minus. Offering/Seed of faith is whatever amount you want to give.

How does the bible define tithes, who is supposed to give tithes and who is supposed to receive it? Scriptural verses to support your answer will be appreciated.
Re: Is Paying Tithes Compulsory For Christians? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jan 20, 2016
I think so.

(1) (Reply)

According To Youtube Tb Joshua Might Just Be The Biggest Man Of God Worldwide / Would Adam Have Gone To Heaven If He Did Not Sin? / Re:there Shall Arise Many False Teachers An They Shall Deceive Many. HARDMIRROR?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.