Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills (1482 Views)

How Do I Upgrade My Php Version From 5.2.3 To 5.2.4 Or Higher / Form Validation Tutorial Using Javascript, Php And Ajax! / Writing A Time Based Expiration Script Or Function Using Php And Mysql (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by valjnr: 11:07pm On Oct 23, 2006
Help A Php Web Developer

help! I need tips with marketing my new PHP and MySQL skills to the nigerian business.
Re: How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by Seun(m): 5:12pm On Nov 11, 2006
Tell them that you are a web designer with an interest in the development of interactive websites.
Re: How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by Afam(m): 6:21pm On Nov 12, 2006
No, you do not need to tell anybody that you are a web designer with any skills, you need to build applications that people can use and if they are happy they will contact you.

Seems crazy but that is the surest way to sell your skills.

A lot of people are claiming to know everything and most people are not ready to gamble their way trying web designers without any portfolios whatsoever.
Re: How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by Seun(m): 6:24pm On Nov 12, 2006
What Afam is trying to say is that you also need a portfolio - a list of the dynamic websites that you've developed - to convince your prospective customers that you're capable of doing the job well. He's right.
Re: How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by markesh(m): 9:25am On Nov 13, 2006
Personally, I believe that what you need to do is go to people and TELL them that they need you. For example, go to a private secondary school close to where you live, and tell them that they need a website. Offer them a quote, show them an example, and if the owner has any vision, he will hire you.

The first secret to selling is that people have to know that you are offering something.
Re: How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by astronp7(m): 4:34am On Nov 14, 2006
You will actually need to start with prices next to nothing, design for yoursef and friends they will also help market you too.

Don't settle where you are, learn more. The sky will be your limit.
Re: How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by kodewrita(m): 3:59pm On Nov 15, 2006
I have the same problem and I guess thats the solution too, though I am more interested in part-time work with many different companies.
Re: How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by my2cents(m): 10:55pm On Dec 13, 2006
You could also market your skills by becoming a member of http://www.webmastersofafrica.com/
Re: How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by OluAbuja(m): 1:15pm On Dec 19, 2006
Do you really need my candid experience/opinion?

When my partner and I started some 3years, what we did was
to divide the market place into sectors and developed strategies of
reaching out to all of them.

Strategy One: Divide the market place into sectors i.e.
1. Educational Sector with focus on Private Secondary Schools
2. Real Estate Sector
3. Oil and Gas
4. Small business firms - Expecially companies in plazas and corner shops
5. Hospitals
6. Hotels
7. Models, Actors/Actresses and Comedians
7. Identify more sectors that might need websites e.t.c

Strategy Two:
We bought the Abuja Yellow Pages Directory and made visits and phone calls.
So, get lay your hands on several business directories in your state and call or visit the companies.
You can set some new standard in your city or state.

Strategy Three:
Pricing: Determine how much you will be charging for domain name registration, hosting and
designing of the website based on the applications you want to use. You can request for price
from existing website designers so that you will know how to fix your own price.

Strategy Four:
Place adverts in your local newspapers, magazines, on Radio and TV. Print handbills and flyers and give
to your friends and family, Church and Mosque members, Business card. Your own personal website you can
send people to verify e.t.c.

Strategy Five:
The Bible says, seeth thou a man diligent in his business, he shall stand before kings and not mean men.
You must be diligent in this business. There is no room for hit and run. Be committed to it and once people
know that you are consistent and committed to it, jobs will naturally roll in.
Be a man/woman of prayers. Sow a seed of free website designed for somebody or a company.

Strategy Six: Develop more plans not listed above.

It will amaze you the amount of money you can make in 2007 if you take some lessons from my experience
/opinion has highlighted above.

Remain blessed,

Olu Joseph in Abuja.
Re: How To Market My PHP And MySQL Skills by ladimbiz: 2:30am On Jan 06, 2007
Yea!

This is where you can't rule out marketing your portfolio or whatever your profession is.

You can engage in "guerrilla marketing" grin and people will know you and your abilities, but ensure you have a good job to show for it. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Who Can Help? / Hyperlink Not Visible In My Browser / Eyowo.com Has Improved Its Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.