Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,973 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

How To Learn A Foreign Language Fast, Efficiently And Fluently - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Learn A Foreign Language Fast, Efficiently And Fluently (2082 Views)

Why Every Nigerian Lady Must Learn A Skill. / How To Work Effectively And Efficiently / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Learn A Foreign Language Fast, Efficiently And Fluently by Michozil(m): 1:54am On Dec 28, 2015
Learning a new language or perhaps a second language is really exciting and also of great benefit to all ages. Learning a new language offers practical, intellectual and many inspirational benefits. Being bilingual certainly has nothing to do with your age or career or family background for its advantages, especially in today's global society are enormous.

Before I continue on how you could effectively and quickly learn a new language and not forget it, let me give you a brief definition of what a new language is.

According to Wikipedia : 'A foreign language is a language indigenous to another country. It is also a language not spoken in the native country of the person referred to'.

Why you need to learn a New Language and its Benefits

You think its not needed to have a second language? After I probably give you reasons on why you should learn a new language, you might want to start having a rethink.

Learning a new language enables you meet new people and develop long term relationship with them.
When you learn a new language it allows you as well as exposes you to a new culture.
Learning a new language forces you to become open minded. The moment you become aware of the fact that we are all cultural beings, products of our own environments, and that you recognize the cultural base for your own attitudes and behavior, you are ready to consider others in a more reasonable and fair manner.
Learning a new language boosts your chances of being employed anywhere. Here's what i mean; Between two prospective job seekers with the exact same skill set and experience, the person who is bilingual is arguably much more likely to get the job than you that only knows one language.
Learning a new language increases your brain power. A study conducted by Researchers from University College London has shown that learning other languages altered grey matter. Now grey matter is the area of the brain which processes information – in the same way exercise builds muscles. In addition to this a psychologist at York University in Toronto, Ellen Bialystok, has found that students who study foreign languages tend to score better on standardized tests than their monolingual peers, particularly in the categories of math, reading, and vocabulary.

I could go on and list up to 20 reasons on why you need to learn a new language but that's not even the main reason I decided to write this blog post. Well I'm happy with the idea that most Nigerian schools are adopting mostly our primary and secondary schools where every student is advised to pick a foreign language to briefly study at least getting the basics.

Moving on to the most asked question when it comes to learning a new language which is "How fast can I learn a new language?"

Personally i feel the question and answer “How long or fast can i learn a language?” Answer: “X months/years/months” is dumb, as it leaves far too much undefined and only caters to lazy one-size-fits-all mentalities, which is something that's not cool at all.

I'm sorry if that hit you hard but for your sake since it's my duty to make things easier for you I was able to come up with a time frame. After much deliberation and research I was able to come up with 3 months as the time frame you could use to learn a new language quickly and efficiently. I say this because that’s typically the tourist visa limit for visiting a country, or the time most tourists like to spend in a country. This statistics is not language dependent rather its lifestyle dependent.

Moving on to the main reason for this blog post, How you can Learn a New Language quickly and not forget it.
I've defined what a foreign language is, I've listed a good number of reasons why you need to have a second language or perhaps learn a new language and I'm sure I was able to answer your question as to how long it could take you to learn a new language.

Let’s compare two experiences...

Here’s the first one: Your in a Latin class and your (Latin) teacher writes the following on the board: "quod est tuum nomen?" Meaning "what is your name?" He tells you that this is going to be on your vocabulary quiz next week, along with twenty other words you don’t care much about.

Experience two: You and your most adventurous friend are at a restaurant downtown, somewhere in Paris. And after buying a take-away meal the waiter says "merci" and you're confused but your friend quickly tells you that merci means thank you, instantly you reply her saying "merci"

As a result of this experience, you are going to remember the word “Merci” forever, and if you still remember the Latin translation for "what is your name?" you’re likely going to forget it within a few minutes. If you're going to learn a language and retain it, you’ll need to build a Merci- like connection into your words.
However, if you know what you’re doing, you can do this methodically and rapidly, and you don’t even need to travel to Paris.

Below are 3 hacks you could use to learn a new language quickly and efficiently.

Hack 1: Meet with a Native Speaker

Believe me you this is the best way to learn a new language and all you need do is speak it the way you hear it, most times people spend all of their time studying grammar and memorizing lists of words instead of actually going out there and putting what they've learned into practice. Speaking with a real, live person would surely help you to feel much more motivated about learning the language than probably staring at a book, smartphone or computer screen.

I advise you try looking for a friend or colleague who speaks the language you wish to learn and who'd be willing to sit down with you and help you practice daily.

Hack 2 : Study your desired Language every day

You often claim to have studied a language a whole year and still not be fluent. Truth is you think you studied for a whole year meanwhile you only studied for a month or two. How do you explain it when you only studied the language for only a couple of hours a week over that entire time period?

Read my writings very well now and lets get one thing straight, if you want to learn a new language quickly, by this I mean in the space of a few months, you're going to have to commit to studying the language for a couple of hours every day.

Hack 3: Have a
- See more at: http://www.mozentre.com/2015/12/how-to-learn-a-foreign-language-fast.html
Re: How To Learn A Foreign Language Fast, Efficiently And Fluently by rachelle52(f): 4:54pm On Dec 28, 2015
I'm a foreign language student.Portuguese major though I've done and I'm still doing some courses in french.I'm also learning german nd one thing I can say is if the passion ain't there,its very very difficult to learn a foreign language
Re: How To Learn A Foreign Language Fast, Efficiently And Fluently by vtino13(m): 4:37pm On Jun 05, 2017
LACLIC SERVICES (Language Clinic)
Is an organization dedicated in the promotion of foreign and local languages in Nigeria.
We offer offline and online courses in French, English, Spanish, German, Hindi, Chinese, Arabic, Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.
We have about 13 centers in Lagos with the Head Office at 2nd Floor Dicon Tower, 16 Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
We are also located in IMO state(Owerri), Anambra(Onitsha), Enugu(Enugu), Rivers State(Port-Harcourt), FCT(Abuja).
We conduct online contest in Accra (Ghana), Johannesburg (South Africa), Hong Kong(China).
We have radio and television programs as well as multilingual newspapers to aid our learning process.
We organize excursions in Africa (Cameroon, Senegal) and Europe (Belgium, Germany, France).
We also organize an international cultural event. THE GOLDEN HEROES CUP (28th July to 5th of August yearly).
We also do translation in all the languages we offer.
Visit www.laclicservices.com to enroll today.
Contact no: 08130551118, 08140933480.
Email: bofedeakpos@gmail.com
Re: How To Learn A Foreign Language Fast, Efficiently And Fluently by Pamelayoung: 11:08am On Jun 06, 2017
vtino13:
LACLIC SERVICES (Language Clinic)
Is an organization dedicated in the promotion of foreign and local languages in Nigeria.
We offer offline and online courses in French, English, Spanish, German, Hindi, Chinese, Arabic, Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.
We have about 13 centers in Lagos with the Head Office at 2nd Floor Dicon Tower, 16 Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
We are also located in IMO state(Owerri), Anambra(Onitsha), Enugu(Enugu), Rivers State(Port-Harcourt), FCT(Abuja).
We conduct online contest in Accra (Ghana), Johannesburg (South Africa), Hong Kong(China).
We have radio and television programs as well as multilingual newspapers to aid our learning process.
We organize excursions in Africa (Cameroon, Senegal) and Europe (Belgium, Germany, France).
We also organize an international cultural event. THE GOLDEN HEROES CUP (28th July to 5th of August yearly).
We also do translation in all the languages we offer.
Visit www.laclicservices.com to enroll today.
Contact no: 08130551118, 08140933480.
Email: bofedeakpos@gmail.com

What's the course fee

2 Likes

Re: How To Learn A Foreign Language Fast, Efficiently And Fluently by vtino13(m): 9:23am On Jun 07, 2017
The course fee is based on the section you attend.
We have the morning, afternoon and the evening section.
Morning section(monday-friday) costs 52k
Afternoon, Evening(Monday,Wednesday and Friday) and Weekend sections cost 32k.
We have different modules as well, thanks
Re: How To Learn A Foreign Language Fast, Efficiently And Fluently by Lukas001: 4:27pm On Sep 19, 2017
Incase you need a private tutor, i can also help you with German (A1, A2, B1 etc)

(1) (Reply)

What Sites Do You Visit When You Are Bored At Work? / Uba Banking School Reopened! / Hse Beginner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.