Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad (27319 Views)

Four Risky Places To Use Your Debit Card Abroad / Foreign Payments With Naira ATM Cards Suspended By Zenith Bank / International Spend Restriction On Naira Card: What Is The Implication Of This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Abatsam111(m): 7:34am On Dec 28, 2015
The Central Bank of Nigeria has said the decision of Deposit Money Banks to place a restriction on the use of Automated Teller Machine cards abroad by bank customers is due to scarcity of foreign exchange.

The apex bank said while it had no powers to reverse the restriction placed by the DMBs on the use of the ATMs abroad, the CBN was in support of the decision as it would assist in reducing the pressure on the naira.

So also did the apex bank in the country said it will now start selling foreign exchange directly to end users.

The Director of Monetary Policy Department of the CBN, Moses Tule, said these in Abuja when he spoke with newsmen.

Tule said the restriction of the usage of ATM cards might continue until the country could increase its foreign exchange earnings.

He said if banks had not taken the decision to restrict the use of the ATM cards abroad, some of them would by now be experiencing challenges meeting the overseas demand of their customers.

He said would have caused huge liabilities in the balance sheet of the banks, thus affecting their operations.

Tule said though the CBN sympathised with Nigerians for the sufferings they are experiencing in carrying out transactions abroad, there was little it could do to reverse the decision of the banks.

He said: “The limitation on the use of debit or credit cards outside the country was not a limitation that was placed by the CBN.

“They were restrictions that Deposit Money Banks placed because they have to settle whatever transactions you make with your debit cards with their corresponding banks in foreign currency.

“And if the banks do not have the foreign currency to do that, then you create a liability problem for them.”

On the solution to the hardship faced by Nigerians carrying out businesses abroad, Tule said: “Our priority as a nation for the allocation or use of foreign exchange is for the settlement of matured Letters of Credit that have been opened for importation, for the importation of petroleum products, until such a time when we have our refineries fully operational and we are not in a position to import fuel again to ensure that the wheels of economic development continue turning and running and for the importation of raw materials.

“By the time we meet these three priority areas, you will discover that people who are using their debit cards overseas for shopping can never be on the priority list.

“We do understand that it may not be all that the demands will be for shopping.

“We have seen that the reserves are not there and what we have we will use essentially for the purposes that will keep the wheels of the economy running.

“We have to produce for export.
“We can’t continue to depend only on the export of crude oil.

“It is a healthy development where Nigerians can no longer use debit cards abroad.
“But it is inconvenient.

“Right now the country is going through very difficult times because of developments in the oil market.

“Foreign exchange under the condition Nigeria has found itself has become a seasonal commodity.

“Seasonal in the sense that it depends on the movement of the price of oil.

“If oil prices are high, then we build reserves.

“If oil prices are low, then we have no reserves and we will be in a crisis situation.

“Does the CBN sympathize with the situation Nigerians find themselves not being able to use their debit cards outside the country?

“Yes the CBN certainly does sympathize with the hardship Nigerians are facing.

“But can the CBN stop it?
“The CBN cannot stop what the banks are doing now and the reason is very obvious.”

Source: https://www.today.ng/business/57950/cbn-insists-it-wont-reverse-restriction-on-naira-atm-card-abroad?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Cc: Lalasticalala

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by mccoy47(m): 7:37am On Dec 28, 2015
A Government that listens. #EmefieleEconomics

*MODIFIED*

OMG!! FTC shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Gbengard(m): 7:37am On Dec 28, 2015
Na wa oooooooooo......
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by brunofarad(m): 7:41am On Dec 28, 2015
So what's the wisdom behind this

19 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by ojun50(m): 7:42am On Dec 28, 2015
If he like he should even close all banks self, Nigeria are survives

11 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Vision4God: 7:49am On Dec 28, 2015
Allll izzzzzz weeeelllllll
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by pendusky(m): 8:05am On Dec 28, 2015
Its quite unfortunate that 2016 will be difficult year for Nigerians in diaspora,

we are waiting for =N=1 equall 1$ promises Buhari promised Nigerians,

1 US dollar = 199.0500 Nigerian nairas

I am still buying Fuel at 130 a liter,

From the OP post

"Tule said the restriction of the usage of ATM cards might continue until the country could increase its foreign exchange earnings."

When?

grin grin grin

Till 2019 cheesy

I shake my head!

This is real Change!

Those who were canvassing for Change, The Change has come! Let's embrace it! lets endure it! grin The change is here to stay! grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 28, 2015
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by dunkem21(m): 8:07am On Dec 28, 2015
grin
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by dridowu: 8:16am On Dec 28, 2015
when two elephants fight , it is the grass that get trampled.

Ti elese ba ji ya, olododo ma ba pi ni inu re.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:16am On Dec 28, 2015
This will be tough for diasporans

2 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by captain247: 8:16am On Dec 28, 2015
Give my $$ cash -No
make I use my card - No
To keep d money for bank don turn another problem o. undecided

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Bevista: 8:18am On Dec 28, 2015
He said: “The limitation on the use of debit or credit cards outside the country was not a limitation that was placed by the CBN.

“They were restrictions that Deposit Money Banks placed because they have to settle whatever transactions you make with your debit cards with their corresponding banks in foreign currency.

“And if the banks do not have the foreign currency to do that, then you create a liability problem for them.”
That explanation is plain ridiculous. How can the CBN blame the banks, when they (CBN) are the ones that stopped banks from receiving dollar cash lodgements into domicilary accounts. Where did they expect banks to get FX to meet their international payment obligations, especially with the meagre Dollar sells to BDCs.
---
For the records, I fully understand the constraint the CBN is facing from low FX inflow into the Foreign Reserves due to low oil prices, however, the restrictions imposed by the Central Bank are extreme. With a daily limit ranging from $100 to $1000, How do I make a payment of $1500 for my professional exams? Or am I not supposed to write such exams again because the government is on a fvcking mission?
---
I believe the current CBN Governor is a weak link in this administration, as he may not providing the president with the right monetary policy options/advice. While there are obvious benefits from the CBN policy, I strongly believe that the NET result of the policy on the economy will be negative.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Nobody: 8:19am On Dec 28, 2015
This is the height of stupidity from this inept government, the CBN will now sell directly to companies instead of BDCs and banks. Which kind of crazy monitoring is this?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by PassingShot(m): 8:22am On Dec 28, 2015
Unfortunately this is where GEJ and his cohorts brought us.

If you like, call it blaming or whatever, it is the dollarized foreign reserves that determine the pressure on naira. And it is the same reserve that Jonathan dipped his hands and that of his comrades' to loot like there was no tomorrow. Now that the "tomorrow" is upon us, we're excusing them instead of calling for their head.

Una never see anything!

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by dunkem21(m): 8:24am On Dec 28, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
This will be tough for diasporans

They already know and that's why they campaigned for change .. Remember, good things don't come easy ..

Maybe, they will all have to come back because Nigeria is now better than Dubai with constant 23 hrs/day power supply .. and the price of fuel to be reduced in January ..

11 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by dunkem21(m): 8:29am On Dec 28, 2015
PassingShot:

If you like, call it blaming or whatever, it is the dollarized foreign reserves that determine the pressure on naira. And it is the same reserve that Jonathan dipped his hands and that of his comrades' to loot like there was no tomorrow. Now that the "tomorrow" is upon us, we're excusing them instead of calling for their head.

Una never see anything!

For once, you sound incoherent ..

Who be *una* here .. Diasporans, PDP, Nigerians, CBN or the govt ..

22 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:37am On Dec 28, 2015
dunkem21:

They already know and that's why they campaigned for change .. Remember, good things don't come easy ..

Maybe, they will all have to come back because Nigeria is now better than Dubai with constant 23 hrs/day power supply .. and the price of fuel to be reduced in January ..

The issue is complicated to be honest with you.
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Demdem2: 8:42am On Dec 28, 2015
This is the pain will need to endure simply because during the days of plenty, Jonah-daft in his cursed state refused to save and build up our reserves. Instead, the fool was busy sharing money indiscriminately till there was nothing to share again. Even Obj that never had so much income like Jonah-daft saved, what is the drunkards excuse? This policy is also affecting me but for the collective good, it's the right decision. Thunder fire Jonah-daft and Ngozi the witch wherever they are now. Never again will we have fools like them govern us again.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Rolings: 8:47am On Dec 28, 2015
Senator Ben Murray Bruce there is the answer to your rants

4 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by PassingShot(m): 8:49am On Dec 28, 2015
dunkem21:

For once, you sound incoherent ..

Who be *una* here .. Diasporans, PDP, Nigerians, CBN or the govt ..

If it's only "for once", I deserve to be pardoned. Next?

8 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by greatiyk4u(m): 8:51am On Dec 28, 2015
We dey look
Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Rolings: 8:51am On Dec 28, 2015
Bevista:
That explanation is plain ridiculous. How can the CBN blame the banks, when they (CBN) are the ones that stopped banks from receiving dollar cash lodgements into domicilary accounts. Where did they expect banks to get FX to meet their international payment obligations, especially with the meagre Dollar sells to BDCs.
---
For the records, I fully understand the constraint the CBN is facing from low FX inflow into the Foreign Reserves due to low oil prices, however, the restrictions imposed by CBN are extreme. With a daily limit of $1000, How do I make a payment of $1500 for my professional exams? Or am I not supposed to write such exams again because the government is on a fvcking mission?
---
I believe the current CBN Governor is a weak link in this administration, as he is not providing the president with the right monetary policy options/advice.

Let's see where the policy will lead before condemning it. No one say you cannot pay $1500 for your professional exam just source the dollars through the proper channel .

9 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by dunkem21(m): 8:54am On Dec 28, 2015
PassingShot:

If it's only "for once", I deserve to be pardoned. Next?

It's actually a complement ..

2 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by bloodykiller: 8:55am On Dec 28, 2015
[s]
PassingShot:

Una never see anything!
[/s]

i know you to be daft but I didn't expect it to be this much

chaii till 2019 it will be always Gej's fault.

well that's one thing I like you apc guys for we call it loyalty (but it's a stupid loyalty)

34 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by modath(f): 9:07am On Dec 28, 2015
PassingShot:

Una never see anything!

God bless you & all yours!!!

This your submission is why I no longer join issues with the wailers!!! No bueno, Ayaf tire.

They argue to suit their bias without bearing in mind that oil ain't making money & don Fortunato done fritter away family savings on his failed reelection bid!

You can't eat your cake & have it!!!

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:07am On Dec 28, 2015
Our current CBN governor's methods of "defending" the naira brought us here. The facts on the ground clearly make nonsense of his restrictive forex policies. What does not work simply doesn't work!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by wadetaw202: 9:10am On Dec 28, 2015
brunofarad:
So what's the wisdom behind this

Did you read that thing at all? If you truly read it, you won't ask that question.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Emekamex(m): 9:10am On Dec 28, 2015
Students abroad go hear am

1 Like

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by modath(f): 9:13am On Dec 28, 2015
Emekamex:
Students abroad go hear am

Their politico fathers now have no choice but to improve the educational system..

90% of them are being financed through public funds anyway, so......

BTW, I have folks schooling abroad too!!

10 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by Ghandi12: 9:13am On Dec 28, 2015
Rolings:

Let's see where the policy will lead before condemning it. No one say you cannot pay $1500 for your professional exam just source the dollars through the proper channel .

Could you please advise him and thousands of other victims (from the CBN response above) what the proper channel of sourcing $ is.

11 Likes

Re: CBN Insists It Won’t Reverse Restriction On Naira ATM Card Abroad by brunofarad(m): 9:14am On Dec 28, 2015
I don't engage in E fights
TOO BIG FOR THAT wink

wadetaw202:

Did you read that thing at all? If you truly read it, you won't ask that question.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BREAKING: Lagos Govt Demolishes Shops Near Ikeja Computer Village / Custom Officials, Soldiers Raid Lagos Rice Stores. History Repeating Itself? / Facebook Ads Beginner's Free Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.