Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,575 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:10 PM

NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 (6516 Views)

Nigerian University With The Highest Number Of Professors? / Nigerian University With The Best Hostel Facilities? / FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by SaaAondo: 3:00pm On Nov 05, 2005
NUC decision on admission policy

The new decision taken by the Nigerian University Commission (NUC) reducing the number of candidates admitted in Nigerian Universities has been a puzzle to me since i heard the news.

Is this decision for good or for worse?
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by owo(m): 4:08pm On Nov 05, 2005
Good policy...
admit what you can effectively and correctly train.
Quality, in education, is more important than quantity.
If you think otherwise, consider the case of a wrong Engineering, medical or even legal judgement .
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by Seun(m): 5:05pm On Nov 05, 2005
From the News: NUC Pegs Varsity Admission to 147,000
Based on the new direction of limiting enrolment to the carrying capacity of institutions as laid down by National Universities Commission (NUC), all 75 federal, state and private universities in the country will admit no more than 147,000 candidates for the next academic year.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=30495 (if prompted use nairaland as username and password)

My question is this: what do you expect the 2 million other university admission seekers to go, especially when days when Polytechnic graduates are being marginalized in the workplace?
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by c0dec(m): 6:51pm On Nov 05, 2005
it'll only lead to crime and massive foreign embassy activity.

nigeria's biggest problem is over-population.
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by DEKING3(m): 8:04pm On Nov 05, 2005
The questions that follows this new development would be, where would all other qualified and able students go? Secondly, what should they be doing at the interim of waiting for their turn? What guarantees their admission the next academic session? So many question like these. I really don't know but I don't think pegging the number of student should be the best solution.
-The govt should encourage and monitor the activities of the existing and intending private universities.
-Build more institutions
-Properly fund the existing ones etc.
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by skima(m): 10:16pm On Nov 05, 2005
This is a welcome development if polytechnic graduates are not marginalised in the work place. It will increase interest in polytechnics. And things will balance. Government funding is also very important. More private institution should be established.
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by joftech(m): 2:14pm On Nov 06, 2005
The mostly like solution to overcrowding of institutions will be reducing the number of chidlren a household can have as it's been done in China.

When so many people go to school, millions will end up in the job market i think this is what the government is trying to curb.

As long as people continue to have an average of 4 chidlren per household, there's surely bound to be overpopulation.
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by gbengaijot(m): 3:35pm On Nov 07, 2005
@joftech, good idea u've got about reducing the number of children a household can have but do u realise that creating morejobs will solve the problem?.the inabilityof banks and financial institutions to give credit facilities to people who want to set up companies, insecurity of life and property, bad policy and regulations are not helping situations either.i think the best bet is for the government to produce more jobs, which will reduce the rate of unemployment.considering the Uk, do u knw how many student graduates in a year. a lot of them, and the job market finds nearly a place for everyone who is competent in their own capacity.
Nigeria..., we av a long way to go.
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by SaaAondo: 6:53pm On Nov 07, 2005
I am very happy that many Nigerian youths  are reasoning along same line with me.

I believe that our problem in Nigeria especially in the area of school population has to be traced back to overpopulation and not by pegging admission into tertiary institutions down.

If NUC truely gave this decision a second thought before revealing it, I think she should give it a third thought - it will bring more evil in our land as millions of Nigerian youth will be left Idle.
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by brick(m): 5:02am On Dec 28, 2005
the decision is for good seeing that the infrastruture can no longer support the number of students. it is not a news that students pack like sardines into a small room standing for hours to receive lectures. where is the concentration?
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 19, 2006
I second all u guys said with regard to NUC pegging the number of students to be given enrolment in Nigerian Tertiary Institutions. But why do Government not worry about Secondary school and primary school? We have got so many of them and they take all who want to study in that category but some are below par. One needs more money for better college.

So while family size is reduced,Government should do its homework. Or since the Government is corrupt, it is wiser to send its wards abroad?
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 06, 2010
Hmmm
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 05, 2015
Re: NUC decision To Peg Nigerian University Admission to 147,000 by Sveen: 11:28am On Jun 05, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Unizik Tuition Fee Is Still The Same For The Old Students, And For The New Students It Is Still The / Nigeria Army To Establish School Of Language / Umahi Sacks Workers In Ebonyi In EBSU & College Of Education, Ikwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.