Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,577 members, 7,958,785 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 12:26 AM

Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In (4391 Views)

Are Their Any Hausa Or Nupe Emir? ? / White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently / The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Nobody: 6:13am On Jan 02, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Lots of Hausas living in the east speak Igbo fluently. You just don't find them online. Neither would you easily find them in the North or West. You need to be in the east to see them. I grew up partially in Owerri and in the state capital, the Hausas have a thriving settlement called 'ama awusa' in Igbo meaning 'Hausa settlement/area', where they live, trade and co-habit peacefully with the Igbos. Tons of those Hausas speak and understand Igbo fluently, many times with an Hausa accent. Just walking past that area you would find several smart well-dressed Hausa businessmen by the roadside speaking fluent Igbo to you trying to attract you to their line of business. These men trade in several lines of business from currency exchange, tailoring, suya businesses etc.

The fact is that Hausas are just not predisposed like the Igbos or Yorubas to actively use social media and it explains why you don't find much of them on this forum. Thus you have a very small sample size for your statistics.

I have seen several Yorubas who can speak Igbo as well, but they were mostly in the East. Heck while I was in UNN, this yoruba man, ayo, could speak not just Igbo but very core Nsukka dialect, as natively as the lead actress in the Igbo movie, Nwa Nsukka, could speak it. Yorubas are not predisposed to traveling to the east that much so you have a smaller number of those who speak Igbo.

Just as the multi-lingual Igbos you see are those living outside Igboland, you would have to travel to Igboland to find Igbo-speaking non natives.

From my observation, Yorubas are not as inclined to learn Igbo language as Igbos are to learn Yoruba or Hausa. The Hausas seem to be more inclined to learn Igbo than Yorubas. I know this Yoruba real estate agent in Owerri who speaks Igbo very well and it really helps his business. This is the very same ideology that the Igbos realize that makes those living outside Igboland willing to learn the language of their hosts to promote their business.

In Nigeria, those from the south-south especially the Ibibio/Efik, parts of Ijawland etc. and the Idomas, Hausas etc. show the most willingness to learn Igbo language.

I've written about this before. There are lots of Igbo-speaking non Igbos especially in the south east but you don't often see them. Nollywood should begin producing movies acted entirely by Igbo-speaking non Igbos and watch how these movies would sell. There are many of them out there. It would definitely be a pleasant sight to tune to an Igbo language movie with cast names all of non-Igbo origin but acted entirely in Igbo language.

Lol! Maybe you're right. Coming from a hausa family and growing up in the north I've never actually met one myself nor heard of such instances, I guess they have motives for learning the language since they need it to trade but over here the motive completely absent I guess that's why I thought it almost impossible.

Good info. Would love to meet such hausas.
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by bigfrancis21: 7:51am On Jan 02, 2016
MorrowCaligari:

Lol! Maybe you're right. Coming from a hausa family and growing up in the north I've never actually met one myself nor heard of such instances, I guess they have motives for learning the language since they need it to trade but over here the motive completely absent I guess that's why I thought it almost impossible.

Good info. Would love to meet such hausas.

Yea just take a trip down to Owerri. Ask of ama awusa, which is located along Douglas road.

1 Like

Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 02, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Yea just take a trip down to Owerri. Ask of ama awusa, which is located along Douglas road.

When I finally get the courage to leave the north I'll be sure to check it out. grin
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Phut(f): 4:46am On Jan 03, 2016
DanZubair:
O bu n'imaghi maka mkpuruokwu ndi oyibo kporo "Typographical error" A mam n'onweghi mgbe mga asukata maobu dekata ka ndi afo...

Ashi'm na igbaniri agbani. Nye'm aka. grin

3 Likes

Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by 2prexios: 8:46am On Jan 03, 2016
MorrowCaligari:

Radoillo in disguise.

You don't know radoillo, he is above such petty affairs.

I think you create duplicate people with ease, opcnairaland, gataino etc.

You almost confused me once. Until you created duplicate opc / tpa.

happy new year radoillo, the great.

1 Like

Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Nobody: 9:05am On Jan 03, 2016
2prexios:

Happy new year, Ladi, word de-encryptor extraordinaire. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 03, 2016
2prexios:

lol! so youve noticed gat.iano and opc are the same person? same thing i concluded when one of them was busy trying to insult me and the other trying to play gandhi. besides, opc/gat is sort of my nemesis, check my previous posts. seems i didnt almost confuse you, i did confuse you. though i admit having multiple accounts, i deactivate before moving to another, e.g parrishnorwood voslergrimsbane valhalladrabek (notice the trend?) etc and tpia is a different person entirely, all his accounts have similar names though lie tpiar. and btw, i did respect radoillo until i discovered hes a colossal arsehole.
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 03, 2016
Radoillo:

more like re.tard extraordinaire
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Nobody: 10:14am On Jan 03, 2016
2prexios Radoillo

Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 03, 2016
MorrowCaligari:

lol! so youve noticed gat.iano and opc are the same person? same thing i concluded when one of them was busy trying to insult me and the other trying to play gandhi. besides, opc/gat is sort of my nemesis, check my previous posts. seems i didnt almost confuse you, i did confuse you. though i admit having multiple accounts, i deactivate before moving to another, e.g parrishnorwood voslergrimsbane valhalladrabek (notice the trend?) etc and tpia is a different person entirely, all his accounts have similar names though lie tpiar. and btw, i did respect radoillo until i discovered hes a colossal arsehole.

Just show me where this colossal 'arseholery' was displayed in the discussion leading up to you calling me Dan Zubair's alternate account.

1 Like

Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by 2prexios: 10:50am On Jan 03, 2016
Radoillo:

Like seriously? gringringringrin

We have a decoder of the year be that oooooo.

I'm really excited that you appreciate something like that, LOL. I swear we are belittling our languages.

In time, the Igbo decryptor will come here too. We just have to move up to the codes in our languages, they will never come down to us.

I wish we can all learn the tricks, it's a great subject, waiting to be explored.

Hope to learn wonderful world that's going to unfold from you, my boss and all, this year. Igbo never disappoints.

I'm sending my heartfelt greetings to the most erudite bigfrancis, by the grace of God.

1 Like

Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by uncjay(m): 10:51am On Jan 03, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Contrary to your submissions about the yoruba not too willing to learn the igbo language, I think that's not so true, the fact is that certain factors are responsible of which their not travelling out of the homeland especially to eastern part is a chief, is responsible. Northern parts has large concentration of yoruba settling there, and 80% of them speak hausa language very well. For one, I don't know why they don't trail the east the way the did with the north. Trust me, if a large number of them are found in the east, just as the few there that speak moderate igbo language, so also will be the larger part. Except for few gifted people, it is very difficult to learn other people's language outside their enclave sphere.
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by 2prexios: 11:56am On Jan 03, 2016
MorrowCaligari:
2prexios Radoillo
LOL,
You duplicated me with my boss.
Megida, you are an impossible guy.
cheesy
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jan 03, 2016
2prexios:

LOL,

You duplicated me with my boss.

Megida, you are an impossible guy.

cheesy

alobam, shuuut the fvck up. read between the lines, didnt say you were the same person, clearly hes smarter than you. thats not a compliment.
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by 2prexios: 12:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
MorrowCaligari:

eh,

who is safe?

I don't think opcnairaland is the same as gati.ano.

Gati.ano is another impossible nairalander.

each of us have one issue or the other, only few teach and represent what the platform is made for,

hence I respects radoillo and co, one of the most clean guys around.
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by 2prexios: 12:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
MorrowCaligari:

alobam, shuuut the fvck up. read between the lines, didnt say you were the same person, clearly hes smarter than you. thats not a compliment.

It's ogbeni,

I be Omo Ogun.

cheesy
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by itstpia8: 7:28am On Jan 04, 2016
2prexios:

stop mentioning my name and more importantly, stop telling lies about me.
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by 2prexios: 8:23am On Jan 04, 2016
itstpia8:

stop mentioning my name and more importantly, stop telling lies about me.

Read the post.
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Shymm3x: 2:10pm On Jan 04, 2016
2prexios:

Read the post.

cc: absolutesuccess

Lado, we need you on this medium cos of ya knowledge of Yoruba history/culture/etymology.

This is the link: Yoruba
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by absoluteSuccess: 2:19pm On Jan 04, 2016
Shymm3x:

cc: absolutesuccess

Lado, we need you on this medium cos of ya knowledge of Yoruba history/culture/etymology.

This is the link: Yoruba

Great man,

happy new year and thanks for the invitation,

I'll come with useful materials.

Yoruba Arise.
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by tpiar: 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
2prexios:

Read the post.

i am not reading anything.

stop mentioning my moniker.
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Shymm3x: 7:18pm On Jan 04, 2016
absoluteSuccess:

Great man,

happy new year and thanks for the invitation,

I'll come with useful materials.

Yoruba Arise.

Happy new year, bro.

We're expecting you and ya supreme knowledge. grin
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by absoluteSuccess: 9:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
Shymm3x:

Happy new year, bro.

We're expecting you and ya supreme knowledge. grin

LOL,

We are incredibly blessed, great and awesome.

I tried the link but its not going earlier. I'll try again.

...Wow, that's a Library of congress for good!
Re: Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In by Omotaday(m): 12:58am On Jan 15, 2016
FisifunKododada:

cool Mosdef - although its been awhile I saw him on NL
he may be using google translator

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Ibo Girls More Fair And Prettier Than Other Tribe's Girls In Nigeria? / Top 10 Most Gruesome Torture Devices In Medieval Europe / Translate This Yoruba Sentence Into English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.