Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

Yoruba And The Two Prominent South African Languages-zulu And Xhosa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba And The Two Prominent South African Languages-zulu And Xhosa (1051 Views)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / 45,000 Virgin Zulu Maidens Step Out Topless For Testing In South Africa (Photos) / African Languages And Cultures Need To Be Eliminated As Soon As Possible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba And The Two Prominent South African Languages-zulu And Xhosa by ziinee: 10:17am On Jan 01, 2016
SA has 2 main languages Zulu and Xhosa. They call it 2 but they can communicate with each other.In nig context it not 2 diff lang but accent. The nation has 11 languages .The Zulu have the highest population followed by the Xhosa.
Some of them look like ibo, some like hausa while some have the look of Yoruba. they used the word 'sisi' to address a females while it is an insult to call your mother's agemate sisi, just the same way it is used in yoruba. Dog is called Nja while Yoruba call it aja. When unmodernised yorubas we talk they used the exclamation 'awu'. It is used the same way here in the same context.Joy here means yoolo with dots under the 1st 2 o's. 'Rejoice' in Yoruba is yo with dot under the first two o's.All of of them get deceived by my look to think I am a SA. They only get shocked when I talk. Clicking is part of their language though and the Xhosa do more clicking more than the Zulu.I am still making my observations cos I am still new in this land....
Re: Yoruba And The Two Prominent South African Languages-zulu And Xhosa by poundlander: 10:24am On Jan 01, 2016
noted
Re: Yoruba And The Two Prominent South African Languages-zulu And Xhosa by Wizprodigy: 4:55pm On Jan 02, 2016
Space booked
Re: Yoruba And The Two Prominent South African Languages-zulu And Xhosa by Wizprodigy: 4:56pm On Jan 02, 2016
2nd space booked
Re: Yoruba And The Two Prominent South African Languages-zulu And Xhosa by Wizprodigy: 4:58pm On Jan 02, 2016
Attack space booked
Re: Yoruba And The Two Prominent South African Languages-zulu And Xhosa by scholes0(m): 5:45pm On Jan 02, 2016
Space Booked.
Nice submission, OP

(1) (Reply)

Nri Villages In Igbo And Anioma / Motivational Thursday: Be Humble / King Saheed of Ikate-Elegushi Celebrating His Birthday Today. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.