Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,099 members, 7,814,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Code To Upload Files To Server, Help - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Code To Upload Files To Server, Help (1981 Views)

How To Upload A Song(your Song) Or Other Application Or File To Waptrick / Web Content Scattered After Upload To Live Server! Help / How To Upload Mysql Database To Server (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Joit(m): 11:44am On Jun 13, 2009
Nairalander webmaster I used the php code below which worked well on php 5.0.4 but not on php 5.2.8

<?php

// start it now because it must go before headers
session_start();

//This is the directory where the zipped folder will be saved
$target = 'uploads/';
$target = $target . basename( $_FILES['uploadedfile']['name']);

//create a short variable names for upload
$uploadedfile=($_FILES['uploadedfile']['name']);
$uploadedfile_type=($_FILES['uploadedfile']['type']);

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['uploadedfile']['tmp_name'], $target))
{
//successful upload message
echo "<p>The file ". basename( $_FILES['uploadedfile']['name']).
" has been successfully uploaded</span>";

}
else
{
echo "<p>Sorry, the file could not be uploaded.</span>";
}

?>

Pls help me on the upload code to work on all versions
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jun 13, 2009
Sorry, i seem to have forgotten how to write upload codes in all versions!

Nonsense, your post is lacking too much information, what is the server you are using?
localhost/cpanel/bluehost or what?

And what was the error report you saw? this is not a downloading place but rather discussing. . .
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by segsalerty(m): 1:30pm On Jun 13, 2009
Uhmmm lipsrsealed
codes fit bbreak somebody's head for here ooooo!
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by kolitos007: 6:03pm On Jun 13, 2009
Good point dhtml, can't debug your issue without knowing what error messages you are getting, you may be using a different path on your upgraded server, can you pass more info and also check your form tag that you have got (enctype="multipart/form-data") in it.
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jun 13, 2009
Exactly, i can list like up to 20 different kinds of errors you could get,
but what i really suspect is that you are not getting a server configuration right (the new server). . .maybe max_upload_size or
even post_upload_size provided you have not tampered with the code. . .

'cos all the sites i have done since the time of php 4 till now are still uploading fine, i am not aware of a new uploading code. . .
it is either you make use of http upload or ftp. . . .

Give us more details, or at least give up a link to that page on your site. . .that is the best i can do
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by kolitos007: 7:38pm On Jun 13, 2009
Exactly, i can list like up to 20 different kinds of errors you could get,
but what i really suspect is that you are not getting a server configuration right (the new server). . .maybe max_upload_size or
even post_upload_size provided you have not tampered with the code. . .

'cos all the sites i have done since the time of php 4 till now are still uploading fine, i am not aware of a new uploading code. . .
it is either you make use of http upload or ftp. . . .

Give us more details, or at least give up a link to that page on your site. . .that is the best i can do

Excellent point, i think it is the php.ini setting, could be trying to upload files that are above the maximum setting, some people dont' know that when they need help they need to be more specifi to solve problems.
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by quadrillio(m): 2:43pm On Jun 14, 2009
people need to learn how to explain their problem, I always tell my students that one of the major rule of asking computer related questions is "WRITE DOWN THE ERROR MESSAGE"

maybe we need to add that tutorial to our post, LOL
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jun 14, 2009
That one is even more tiresome in the computer section when someone just comes and says my pc is not booting or my printer is not working. . .

No operating system, version, model of pc, model of printer. . . .no error message report. . . .i am tired of shouting!
Once the question is not clear, i usually skip it and wait for the next good samaritan come
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by NAIJAVOICE(m): 8:44pm On Jun 14, 2009
why don't you use of smf to upload direct from control panel.
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Nobody: 5:31am On Jun 15, 2009
NAIJAVOICE:

why don't you use of smf to upload direct from control panel.
smf keh? there are times when you need to create an upload script, possibly for your client to upload something. . .

Just like sometimes, you may need a site to dynamically generate flash content, for instance, i can write a php script to say
read a thread on NL, and render that thread as flash content using the php ming functions. . .

Just like, i can write a php script to convert the same thread to an image - like a screen capture. . . .

Depending on the task at hand, and of course, those same tasks i mentioned, of course, you can do them manually too. . .depends
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by segsalerty(m): 8:13pm On Jun 15, 2009
shocked over dependency on SMF ! where my friend Mr Dual Core? he is the number 1 grin
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 15, 2009
@segsalert, dont let DC ban u o, u know he is still more highly rated as a mod compared to me. . .
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Joit(m): 11:01am On Jun 16, 2009
I'm very sorry for not giving the details. Here are the details:

Assuming I upload a file named 'license.rtf', it brings this error message:

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/fceobudu/public_html/uploads/license.rtf) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/fceobudu/public_html/admin_upload_fns.php on line 57

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpdAFrb1' to '/home/fceobudu/public_html/uploads/license.rtf' in /home/fceobudu/public_html/admin_upload_fns.php on line 57

System details
Operating system: Linux
Apache version: 1.3.41 (Unix)
PHP version 5.2.8

Pls I'm waiting your replies.
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by kolitos007: 2:02pm On Jun 16, 2009
Joit:

I'm very sorry for not giving the details. Here are the details:

Assuming I upload a file named 'license.rtf', it brings this error message:

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/fceobudu/public_html/uploads/license.rtf) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/fceobudu/public_html/admin_upload_fns.php on line 57

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpdAFrb1' to '/home/fceobudu/public_html/uploads/license.rtf' in /home/fceobudu/public_html/admin_upload_fns.php on line 57

System details
Operating system: Linux
Apache version: 1.3.41 (Unix)
PHP version 5.2.8

Pls I'm waiting your replies.

Hello mate,

Your problem is the fact that you are trying to upload rtf file as, however so far, this program does not recognise rtf, and docx as a document type, so I suggest converting it to something else

hope that helps
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jun 16, 2009
I will take a look at it later
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by nitation(m): 5:09pm On Jun 16, 2009
On the contrary kolitos007 the user didn't specify what file extension must be accepted according to his code. One of the problems is that he should change the permission for his directory uploads to 0777 and lets see what happens.

- nitation
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 16, 2009
Looking at the code again, the code is very much alright. . . .

step 1: follow nitation's advice, hopefully that should work, or else

step 2: change the line
to
if(copy($_FILES['uploadedfile']['tmp_name'], $target))

that is because some servers will not give you right to move a temp file, and will auto delete it followin end of session
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Joit(m): 7:59am On Jul 22, 2009
Hello xhtml

*dhtml:

Looking at the code again, the code is very much alright. . . .

step 1: follow nitation's advice, hopefully that should work, or else

step 2: change the line
to
if(copy($_FILES['uploadedfile']['tmp_name'], $target))

that is because some servers will not give you right to move a temp file, and will auto delete it followin end of session

The error changed to this when I tried to upload a file name 'Brief296.pdf':

Warning: copy(uploads//Brief296.PDF) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/fceobudu/public_html/admin_upload_fns.php on line 60

Please help
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by yawatide(f): 11:10am On Jul 22, 2009
Joit,

Did you do as nitation said? Change permissions on the file to 777?

Do that at the very least then let us know what's up. There should be a chmod() fxn in php I believe.

Good luck!
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Joit(m): 8:31am On Jul 24, 2009
yawa-ti-de

The error continues:

Warning: copy(uploads//Brief296.PDF) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/fceobudu/public_html/admin_upload_fns.php on line 62

but 0755 is the permission on 'upload' folder in the public_html
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Afam(m): 9:16am On Jul 24, 2009
Joit:

yawa-ti-de

The error continues:

Warning: copy(uploads//Brief296.PDF) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/fceobudu/public_html/admin_upload_fns.php on line 62

but 0755 is the permission on 'upload' folder in the public_html

The problem can only be diagnosed if we know what is happening on line 62 on the file admin_upload_fns.php.

Without the specific content on that line being made available it will be like someone going into a battle with a blindfold.

Possible causes will range from write access to the folder specified to non existence of the folder itself, incorrect folder path to disallowed file extension etc.

PHP error reporting style makes life easy for anyone.
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by biggjoe(m): 3:01pm On Jul 24, 2009
he just said it, the permission is 0775

why not chmod it to 777, i believe thats where the whole issue lies.

or cant you chmod?

@ afam,
line 62 is presumably where he has: if(copy($_FILES['uploadedfile']['tmp_name'], $target))
Re: Code To Upload Files To Server, Help by Afam(m): 5:05pm On Jul 24, 2009
biggjoe:

he just said it, the permission is 0775

why not chmod it to 777, i believe thats where the whole issue lies.

or cant you chmod?

@ afam,
line 62 is presumably where he has: if(copy($_FILES['uploadedfile']['tmp_name'], $target))

@biggjoe,

Thanks for pointing that out. It would everyone if you could post exactly what line 62 is telling him considering the fact that the error has come on different lines depending on what he is doing at different times. Hope he sorts out the permission problem first anyway to help narrow down the options.

(1) (Reply)

Biggest Website In Nigeria / Naija Bloggers And Their Net Worth / Correct Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.