Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,628 members, 7,809,340 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony (1448 Views)

The Irony Of Bbnaija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by wolewole200(m): 11:44pm On Jan 01, 2016
ABEOKUTA : A name ; an irony.

By 2030, it will be two hundred years since Abeokuta was founded and so named by the Egbas who took refuge under the Olumo rock. Thus, the name Abeokuta literally meaning "Under the Rock" was adopted after they were asked where they lived. Today however, the story has somehow changed, indigenes, citizens and residents do not live "under" the rock, but rather on it.

I have often found it hilarious, that names of certain areas or junctions in Abeokuta, when translated literally would make you laugh, wonder or even sometimes shocked. Please note that this piece is just a fiction of my writer's imagination and should not be in anyway misconstrued as deregatory but a source of comic relief (I am from Abeokuta myself ).

Let's begin our journey from Iyana Mortuary, haba! That's Mortuary junction, guess you may not want to go where it leads. Others are:

Itoku - Cemetery / court of the dead
Ago-oko - Camp of stones (stone throwers)
Ago-ika - Camp of the wicked
Ago-odo - Camp of the dullard
Ago-iba - Camp of Malaria
Saje - come and become a witch
Adigbe - place of constipation
Kugba - offered to death
Mawuko - Don't cough
Adatan - Cutlass have finished
Kolobo, kotopo - small, petite, roundish
Oke-efon - Hill of the buffalo
Onikoko - cocoyam seller
Alabata- We lick sandals
Alamala - Amala seller
Ita ika - Frontage of the wicked
Kuto - Death urinates
Totoro - so narrow
Enu gada - Foot of the bridge
Apakila - The hill of Kila
Amolaso - Our clothes are clean
Oke ilewo - The hill of prosperity

Wow! Terrific names, don't you agree?
Probably that's why the city has produced and is still producing leading leaders in the Nation. The likes of ex-President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Chief Ernest Sonekan, June 12 hero, Chief MKO Abiola, Rev and Chief mrs Ransome Kuti, Fela and his siblings, Chief Ebenezer Obey, Segun Odegbami et al and my wonderful self.

Abeokuta, on the rock we stand.

#wolewole

2 Likes

Re: Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by jaymejate: 12:02am On Jan 02, 2016
[size=15pt]Don't forget,

Obantoko - king of village
Somorin - can he/she trek, you no get choice but to trek if you reach there grin

Alogi - plank twister
Aregbe - we see our group
Osiele - your poverty has calm
Arinlese - Leg walker, maybe
Itoko - open place of stone( pls don't go there to make trouble, that's where charm resides)
Ijeja - Did you fight

E. T. C.

ABK [/size]

Lalasticlala, biko promote our town grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by wolewole200(m): 12:22am On Jan 02, 2016
Don't forget,

Somorin - can he/she trek, you no get choice but to trek if you reach there grin

Alogi - plank twister
Itoko - open place of stone( pls don't go there to make trouble, that's where charm resides)
Ijeja - Did you fight

E. T. C.

ABK [/size]

Lalasticlala, biko promote our town grin[/quote]

Thanks, almost forgot those. lol
@Somorin actually got me knocked off. can he/she treck? lol
Re: Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by economia: 12:58am On Jan 02, 2016
jaymejate:
[size=15pt]Don't forget,

Alogi - plank twister
Ijeja - Did you fight

E. T. C.

ABK [/size]

Re: Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by economia: 1:01am On Jan 02, 2016
wolewole200:
Don't forget,

Alogi - plank twister
Ijeja - Did you fight

E. T. C.

ABK [/size]

Thanks, almost forgot those. lol
@Somorin actually got me knocked off. can he/she treck? lol
Re: Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by economia: 1:02am On Jan 02, 2016
wolewole200:

By 2030, it will be two hundred years since Abeokuta was founded and so named by the Egbas who took refuge under the Olumo rock. Thus, the name Abeokuta literally meaning "Under the Rock" was adopted after they were asked where they lived. Today however, the story has somehow changed, indigenes, citizens and residents do not live "under" the rock, but rather on it.

I have often found it hilarious, that names of certain areas or junctions in Abeokuta, when translated literally would make you laugh, wonder or even sometimes shocked. Please note that this piece is just a fiction of my writer's imagination and should not be in anyway misconstrued as deregatory but a source of comic relief (I am from Abeokuta myself ).

Let's begin our journey from Iyana Mortuary, haba! That's Mortuary junction, guess you may not want to go where it leads. Others are:

Kugba - offered to death
Mawuko - Don't cough
Onikoko - cocoyam seller
Alabata- We lick sandals
Alamala - Amala seller
Kuto - Death urinates
Totoro - so narrow

Probably that's why the city has produced and is still producing leading leaders in the Nation. The likes of ex-President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Chief Ernest Sonekan, June 12 hero, Chief MKO Abiola, Rev and Chief mrs Ransome Kuti, Fela and his siblings, Chief Ebenezer Obey, Segun Odegbami et al and my wonderful self.

#wolewole
Re: Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by miteolu(m): 4:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
grin

So nice
Re: Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by miteolu(m): 4:18pm On Jan 07, 2016
grin

So nice

What of Ilugun, Isale Abetu, Lantoro, Oke Mosan?
Re: Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by wolewole200(m): 11:12pm On Jan 10, 2016
miteolu:
grin
So nice
What of Ilugun, Isale Abetu, Lantoro, Oke Mosan?
Ilugun - Long town Isale Abetu - under the blacksmith Oke mosan - Hill of eating oranges Asero - drop passengers Omida - water has stopped running

1 Like

Re: Abeokuta: A Name, An Irony by skillip(m): 12:49pm On Jan 13, 2016
wolewole200:

Kugba - offered to death
Mawuko - Don't cough
Onikoko - cocoyam seller
Alabata- We lick sandals
Alamala - Amala seller
Kuto - Death urinates
Totoro - so narrow

#wolewole

@Op, nice one you got there but not all the interpretations you gave are correct.
Ago-odo - Camp of youths, odo means youth. Even others up are not really correct you just gave a vague/general meaning to it. If you do your research well even from the elders in Abeokuta you will get a different meaning to some NOT all you put up. Enjoy!

(1) (Reply)

The Chiefdom Of Ogiso And Kingdom Of Bini Both Have Roots In Ile-ife / Hello Narialand, From Ireland / How ‘village’ Has Harmed The Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.