Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? (1515 Views)

What You Wear To Church Really Matter? / How Long You Pray - Does It Really Matter? / As A Christian, Does Your Dressing Really Matter ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by TaniCarr(f): 9:52am On Oct 25, 2006
We all have theories on different things concerning the bible,I was wondering when it really boils down to it do the details matter? Is the most important thing, that Jesus died for or sins and that's it?does the history and all that comes with it really matter?What do you think?I really don't know what to think. undecided
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by olabowale(m): 1:30pm On Oct 25, 2006
It is very interesting to note that if Jesus truly died and just believing in that death guarantees paradise, then one will wonder what will happen to the likes of Hitler and his associates. They were christians and probably delieved in Jesus as the Bible has preached it. One will then ask if it is necessary to do any work of goodness, along with that'belief in Jesus' death.'

I am just asking, from what point is the blanketted believe in the death of Jesus and his saviorship start, from when he was born,when he was baptised, when he began his mission, or when. Just in case someone died before Jesus died, or according to the Bible rose up the third day (72 Hours), what happen. By the way from Friday evening to Sunday morning is not up to 48 hours, using any system. Would grace of Jesus covered those who were before him, eg, Adam, Noah, Ibrahiim, Moses, etc.
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Grouppoint(m): 7:02pm On Feb 22, 2007
The details do matter.
Perhaps not for your salvation, but to live a life of victory.

@ Olabowale.
Where did you read that Christ arose after 72hrs? if Friday was the first day, does that not make Sunday the 3rd day? Who mentioned hours?

You see TaniCarr, the details do matter.
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by agnesoseka: 5:07pm On Mar 18, 2007
LoL
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by jayriginal: 9:32am On Sep 13, 2011
TaniCarr:

We all have theories on different things concerning the bible,I was wondering when it really boils down to it do the details matter? Is the most important thing, that Jesus died for or sins and that's it?does the history and all that comes with it really matter?What do you think?I really don't know what to think. undecided
Yes dear, the details are very important because of the outrageous claims made in the bible.  It is supposed to be inerrant and infallible and authored or inspired (depending on your perspective) by a perfect god. In that case when there are elementary errors in the the bible, it is important in refuting claims of divinity. Religion has many absurdities and in this day and age more absurdities are added to explain the existing illogicality.

Others have given examples of the death of Jesus and at least you can see where details and facts differ.
Let me then point you in the direction of another. Consider the genealogy of Jesus. From which son of David is he allegedly descended (hint the bible doesnt agree with itself on this issue )? We have two different genealogies in the bible each strenuously striving to link Jesus to the line of David in order to fulfill the prophecy and authenticate Jesus as the messiah. In so doing, the supposed divinely inspired book collides with itself. To make things worse, after trying so hard to prove that Jesus is the son of David through Joseph, they forget that they have strenuously claimed elsewhere that Jesus had no human father (and therefore cannot possibly be said to be of the line of David).
You see how details matter OP ?
Now, if you invite certain christians here, you will witness their excuses for things like this (there are many many more).
Also, there is a passage in Timothy that says all scripture is given for inspiration, to correct and for reproach (or something like that) . That makes details important.
My final word for now is a question. How come a perfect god saw fit to inspire men to write his word for the salvation of mankind, and yet did not see it proper to keep the same word from errors (whether of translation or willful corruption )?
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 12:46pm On Sep 13, 2011
jayriginal:

Yes dear, the details are very important because of the outrageous claims made in the bible.  It is supposed to be inerrant and infallible and authored or inspired (depending on your perspective) by a perfect god. In that case when there are elementary errors in the the bible, it is important in refuting claims of divinity. Religion has many absurdities and in this day and age more absurdities are added to explain the existing illogicality.

Others have given examples of the death of Jesus and at least you can see where details and facts differ.
Let me then point you in the direction of another. Consider the genealogy of Jesus. From which son of David is he allegedly descended (hint the bible doesnt agree with itself on this issue )? We have two different genealogies in the bible each strenuously striving to link Jesus to the line of David in order to fulfill the prophecy and authenticate Jesus as the messiah. In so doing, the supposed divinely inspired book collides with itself. To make things worse, after trying so hard to prove that Jesus is the son of David through Joseph, they forget that they have strenuously claimed elsewhere that Jesus had no human father (and therefore cannot possibly be said to be of the line of David).
You see how details matter OP ?
Now, if you invite certain christians here, you will witness their excuses for things like this (there are many many more).
Also, there is a passage in Timothy that says all scripture is given for inspiration, to correct and for reproach (or something like that) . That makes details important.
My final word for now is a question. How come a perfect god saw fit to inspire men to write his word for the salvation of mankind, and yet did not see it proper to keep the same word from errors (whether of translation or willful corruption )?
Guy go and do your research well and stop ranting about things you have only the vaguest ideas of. MARY,not Joseph was from the House of David. Joseph was the outsider and surrogate father of Jesus
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by tpia5: 10:49am On Sep 14, 2011
@ topic

depends.
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by jayriginal: 1:23pm On Sep 14, 2011
Ishilove:

Guy go and do your research well and stop ranting about things you have only the vaguest ideas of. MARY,not Joseph was from the House of David. Joseph was the outsider and surrogate father of Jesus

Ive done my research thank you. Seems you haven't done yours. Can you trace Mary's genealogy? If you can let us know here and if you cant you have no right to accuse me of "ranting". I'm going to try not to descend to the level of hurling barbs as is common in this forum.

The Isrealites were/are a patrilineal nation as we are in Nigeria. We have Mathew 1: 1-17 and Luke 3: 23-38 with two different genealogies both traced to a man (Joseph) who isnt supposd to be the father of Jesus. Sure he could be his surrogate father, but that fact alone disqualifies Jesus from being the "seed" or of the "line" of David to which the bible says  Joseph belongs.

Instead of invectives, please pick up your bible and point me in the direction of Mary's genealogy which clearly shows that she is from the house of David. Either that or an apology. Im waiting.

Back at OP. You see how details matter? People have been killed over details. Details such as the trinity, whether Jesus is God or is lesser,etc have caused much bloodshed. Details are the reason you have so many different denominations today. Details dear OP are very important.

You can see the point I was making earlier about a bible divinely inspired, containing absurdities and needing to be patched with further absurdities.
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 6:28pm On Sep 14, 2011
jayriginal:

Ive done my research thank you. Seems you haven't done yours. Can you trace Mary's genealogy? If you can let us know here and if you cant you have no right to accuse me of "ranting". I'm going to try not to descend to the level of hurling barbs as is common in this forum.

The Isrealites were/are a patrilineal nation as we are in Nigeria. We have Mathew 1: 1-17 and Luke 3: 23-38 with two different genealogies both traced to a man (Joseph) who isnt supposd to be the father of Jesus. Sure he could be his surrogate father, but that fact alone disqualifies Jesus from being the "seed" or of the "line" of David to which the bible says  Joseph belongs.

Instead of invectives, please pick up your bible and point me in the direction of Mary's genealogy which clearly shows that she is from the house of David. Either that or an apology. Im waiting
Hmmm. . .
Ok here goes. *raise foot,insert foot in mouth, and chew slowly*
So there,my blushing friend,does that suffice?
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 6:32pm On Sep 14, 2011
jayriginal:

Instead of invectives, please pick up your bible and point me in the direction of Mary's genealogy which clearly shows that she is from the house of David. Either that or an apology. Im waiting
Hmmm. . .
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by jayriginal: 11:05pm On Sep 14, 2011
Ishilove:

Hmmm. . .
Not quite what I had in mind.
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 3:37am On Sep 15, 2011
jayriginal:

So what did you have in mind? :-D
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 3:39am On Sep 15, 2011
jayriginal:

Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by jayriginal: 9:43am On Sep 15, 2011
Ishilove:

If I said it, they might have to remove this thread from the religion section and place it more appropriately.
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 5:07pm On Sep 15, 2011
jayriginal:

If I said it, they might have to remove this thread from the religion section and place it more appropriately.
And which "appropriate" section would that be mon ami blushé?
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by jayriginal: 9:40pm On Sep 15, 2011
Ishilove:

And which "appropriate" section would that be mon ami blushé?

*blushing furiously*
*stuttering*
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 4:22am On Sep 16, 2011
jayriginal:

*blushing furiously*
*stuttering*

Lol. Out with it Jay,coyness is reserved for women :-D
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by jayriginal: 8:55am On Sep 16, 2011
Ishilove:

Lol. Out with it Jay,coyness is reserved for women :-D

I know, I know but *gulps* , err, umm, how do I put this.
*Looking* downwards. *Trying to remember the lines I practiced*.
You see, *clears throat*. *Opens mouth but words fail me*

OMG why are you torturing me ?
Until now, I've never had any problem expressing myself.
Damn !
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 10:19am On Sep 16, 2011
Lol. Yeye. We've succeeded quite nicely in derailing the thread,have'nt we Jay? This is the first time i'm an active participant in thread hijack and derailment on nairaland,this is the first time words are failing you,so that makes us even smiley
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by jayriginal: 12:09pm On Sep 16, 2011
Ishilove:

Lol. Yeye. We've succeeded quite nicely in derailing the thread,have'nt we Jay? This is the first time i'm an active participant in thread hijack and derailment on nairaland,this is the first time words are failing you,so that makes us even smiley

:-)
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 10:28pm On Sep 16, 2011
:-)
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Image123(m): 11:14am On Sep 17, 2011
Eiya, love in india. Call us when the song begins.
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 11:29am On Sep 17, 2011
We will
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by jayriginal: 3:06pm On Sep 17, 2011
Image123:

Eiya, love in india. Call us when the song begins.

Yes oh. I hope you have dancing shoes.
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 3:44pm On Sep 17, 2011
O I'm sure he does Jay
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by jayriginal: 11:55pm On Sep 17, 2011
Ishilove:

O I'm sure he does Jay

Just noticed you are online. We should practice our song.
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 7:48am On Sep 18, 2011
Ok. You pick a song then :-)
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by afroxyz: 2:49pm On Sep 18, 2011
Ishilove you promised to send me a mail on script writing but u hv not. My email is afroxyz@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Do The Details Really Matter That Much,really? by Ishilove: 3:42pm On Sep 18, 2011
Im so sorry dear,it seems i sent it to afroxyz@yahoo.com. I wil resend it today

(1) (Reply)

Child Christening On The Eighth Day Is It A Biblical Observation Or? / How The Bible Condemns Oyakhilome, Oyedepo, Adeboye And Co / Why Did God Set The White Man Up To Fail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.