Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Banking Blues In 2016 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banking Blues In 2016 (19247 Views)

Brief Summary Of All My Business Encounter In 2016. - I Take A Bow / Customs Generated N898bn As Revenue In 2016 / Mike Adenuga Is The Biggest Billionaire Gainer In Africa In 2016 - Forbes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banking Blues In 2016 by theV0ice: 4:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
Food for thought

If you see a banker jump out of the window; follow him. There must be money in it.” Anonymous.Once upon a time, that was considered good advice. Bankers, in those halcyon days, could do no wrong. They had a sure nose for sound investments from which to profit. For decades in Nigeria the wisest investment a banker could make was in oil and gas.

So, bankers literally jumped out of the window to get their own pieces of the action in oil and gas. Money in local and foreign currency flowed into their coffers; so much so, they could, like Gowon in the 1970s say “Money is not our problem, but, how to spend it”.

What better way was there to spend it than to invest in more oil and gas ventures? If one goose lays a golden egg a day, surely two birds will lay two eggs a day; three layers will produce three eggs – ad infinitum.Unfortunately, life does not always move in straight lines. Sometimes it is like a boomerang; the stuff you throw out, turn your back and which returns to crack your skull.

It was one of our brightest and best bankers, Mr Atedo Peterside, who during the debate on banking Con-SOLUDO-tion, who warned his fellow bankers, lining up to support Professor Soludo, that it is easier for an economist to understand banking than for a banker to understand economics. He earned my everlasting gratitude for that frank admission – as an economist naturally.

Economics is full of paradoxes. At least two of them are responsible for the dire situation facing the banks in 2016. The first is the idea of economic cycle. Plainly stated, it means that nothing lasts for ever – neither good times nor bad periods. When global or national economic boom occurs the incentive is there for more investors to enter the key sectors and for those already there to expand.

When the global price of crude, driven by double digit GDP growth in China, India, Russia and near eight per cent in Brazil, Indonesia and South Africa, shot up to $145 per barrel in 2008/9 there were speculations that it might eventually reach $200 per barrel. The frenzied search for more oil deposits globally was only equaled by the famed search for gold in Colorado in America’s early days.

Every puddle containing a “spoonful” of crude became valuable and more crude oil was pumped into the world than ever in history. Even the export embargo placed on Iran and Libya’s inability to produce were unnoticed by a world swimming in the “black gold”. Come to think of it, when was the last time oil was called “black gold”?

Crude started to lose steam as several countries in Europe went into economic recession and Greece twice threatened to default on loans. This was followed by economic slowdown in other countries as well – Nigeria is as good an example as one can get. From annual growths of 6.5% to 7.2% in 2008 to 2014 — the best racer on the continent during the period — our country crawled to 2.8% growth in the first three quarters of 2015.

China is expecting less than 5% growth, Brazil and Russia are in recession and Saudi Arabia has a $200bn budget deficit to manage. Suddenly, the gold had become dross on our hands globally. Another economic principle which explains why all the banks might suffer the consequences of “Group Think” is called the “Fallacy of Composition”. Again simply explained, it warns economic units that if one or two profit from a venture and later everybody else joins disaster will follow.

We are all familiar with drivers on Nigerian roads in a hold up. Suddenly, one driver peels off and goes down the wrong way which is free and beats the traffic jam. Then two others follow down the wrong way. Soon every vehicle is going down the wrong way and standstill occurs – until Road Safety comes to restore sanity. When all the banks in Nigeria jumped out of the window in pursuit of oil and gas companies, a good economist could have told them that financial paralysis would follow eventually.

Financial paralysis is round the corner because the investments in oil and gas, which made sense at $145-90 per barrel, are now threatening to result in bankruptcy as the price of crude dives closer to $30 per barrel. Production has been halted in many rigs, meaning no money flowing in.

When oil companies fail to pay, bankers are in a fix. But, not just bankers; we are all in a fix. Shareholders of Nigerian banks, already waving off a bad 2015, will again have to endure two economic woes – low or no dividends and plummeting share prices. Currently, only two banks shares are above N15 per share: ECOBANK and GTB. None of the others is above N6 per share.

These are shares that were eagerly purchased at N40-70 per share when Professor Soludo assured Nigerians that we could put our money in banks and go to sleep with our eyes closed. Nobody is sleeping now because the economic wolves at the gate are set to swallow what is left of bank share prices and, perhaps, the banks themselves.

Unfortunately, for the banks and the rest of us, “returning to base” – meaning a more diversified client base will not be easy. The easy money available in oil and gas rendered Nigerian banks lazy and, to some extent, unprofessional. It will not be easy for them to identify the next golden opportunities; and they might not even have the funds to lend. Turning back from the wrong road takes a lot of time and eats up your fuel.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/banking-blues-in-2016/

71 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by gunpoint(m): 4:57pm On Jan 04, 2016
How an article like this will not make front page but tonto dike's dog giving birth will never ceases to amaze me on nairaland undecided

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by jbcul4ril(m): 5:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
Good piece....Investors take note

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by kennyman2000(m): 7:30pm On Jan 04, 2016
Hmmmmmm.... It's well...

Check my signature for ur customised wristbands.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by theV0ice: 7:54am On Jan 05, 2016
gunpoint:
How an article like this will not make front page but tonto dike's dog giving birth will never ceases to amaze me on nairaland undecided

The matter is tiring I tell ya...

Dominique naijacutee lalasticlala can you pls help move this to headquarters??

6 Likes

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by looseweight: 8:31am On Jan 05, 2016
We are in for tough time in this country. may God help us
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Aviero: 8:31am On Jan 05, 2016
gunpoint:
Lalasticlala, you know this guy is right. This thread is our FP thread. F*cck that shiit! Nairalanders ti take over. Every f**king sentence is a hit.. from the banker jumping out of the window, to oil and gas. ko ni da fun iya anybody. *slams phone* *middle finger* angry

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by brunofarad(m): 8:32am On Jan 05, 2016
smiley smiley smiley

Good for the investors
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by ofofoCEO(f): 8:33am On Jan 05, 2016
Well, I couldn't make meaning of this post. grin grin grin

All that was in my mind was reggae blues.

After the reggae play the blues,
a blues a blues
Make you do as I do
I do, I do
Enjoy yourself baby boo
Bae boo, Bae boo
Even your boo get a boo
A boo, A boo
Share the Gala, share the booze
The booze, the booze
Everybody wanna groove
They grove, they groove
As far as E-money dey pay
Dey pay, dey pay
Skiibii o pop champagne oh ah ah

**modified
Well written piece op

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Seequadry(m): 8:33am On Jan 05, 2016
Hnmmm nice breakfast
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Demmocrats(m): 8:33am On Jan 05, 2016
Every puddle containing a “spoonful” of crude became valuable and more crude oil was pumped into the world than ever in history. Even the export embargo placed on Iran and Libya’s inability to produce were unnoticed by a world swimming in the “black gold”. Come to think of it, when was the last time oil was called “black gold”?

To me there is no safe way to invest this days, the best way is to convert your wealth by buying gold instead of raw cash that doesn't have value much.

1 Like

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by korel9: 8:33am On Jan 05, 2016
This must be after the reggae.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Abduletudaye(m): 8:34am On Jan 05, 2016
angry
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Sibrah: 8:34am On Jan 05, 2016
The easy money presented by booming oil prices had rendered Nigerian banker so lazy they will have no way out but to face the reality of competitive economics this year. MFB and CB could easily give loan to workers at 24-30% because the 'workers' were having it easy hitherto. Ideally, the CB were suppose to be driving the core of the economy with low interest lending but have derailed so much because of the easy money virtually poking their nose and begging to be made.
I have said before, this is the time to start anything that leads to export-ready produces. If as a honey farmer or yam seller, for every $1000 you made before now you had 1000 X N165/$ to spend then by now you have some 1000 X N250/$ plus to spend. Our problem is lack of competitiveness in exportation caused by years of easy oil money. The easy oil money sure held us back for decades like a curse.

2 Likes

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by chiefoboh1(m): 8:34am On Jan 05, 2016
I wonder weda na everytin dem dey talk 4 dis nairaland I nor go surprise wen I go see one day person write article like how dog eat e meat
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by jtizie(m): 8:35am On Jan 05, 2016
To make front page na wahala

1 Like

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by ademoladeji(m): 8:36am On Jan 05, 2016
Still Reading...
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Youngzedd(m): 8:36am On Jan 05, 2016
Just watch shocked, even those that don't understand the subject will still come and book space.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by richardoz(m): 8:37am On Jan 05, 2016
food for thought!
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Lilimax(f): 8:37am On Jan 05, 2016
2016 must be good cos the Owner of Times and Seasons have gone ahead of me smiley
My little effort in business will yield increase.
I'm very optimistic!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Bugatie(m): 8:38am On Jan 05, 2016
Whatever you say here, Buhari will stabilise world oil price, no shaking

2 Likes

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by ultrazone(m): 8:39am On Jan 05, 2016
Ok
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Rexphobia(m): 8:39am On Jan 05, 2016
Banking reggae blues;

Even your bank get a bank.....

Share the charges, share the cash

4 Likes

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Bugatie(m): 8:39am On Jan 05, 2016
Youngzedd:
Just watch shocked, even those that don't understand the subject will still come and book space.

You that understand, we await your own analysis/input
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by gentleagu(m): 8:40am On Jan 05, 2016
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by great664(m): 8:40am On Jan 05, 2016
Good article, I learned alot of things
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by worlexy(m): 8:41am On Jan 05, 2016
From basic Economics we all know that the higher the supply, the lower the price/value of the commodity.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by bobo65(m): 8:42am On Jan 05, 2016
ofofoCEO:
Well, I couldn't make meaning of this post.

All that was in my mind was reggae blues.

After the reggae play the blues,
a blues a blues
Make you do as I do
I do, I do
Enjoy yourself baby boo
Bae boo, Bae boo
Even your boo get a boo
A boo, A boo
Share the Gala, share the booze
The booze, the booze
Everybody wanna groove
They grove, they groove
As far as E-money dey pay
Dey pay, dey pay
Skiibii o pop champagne oh ah ah

U c Ur life
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by DirtyGold: 8:42am On Jan 05, 2016
Boom and bust cycles. Thank God I didn't invest in stocks.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by ojutiku1: 8:42am On Jan 05, 2016
This story tooo long
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by habex005(m): 8:42am On Jan 05, 2016
The topic though

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote Refinery Suffers Supply Hiccups: Completion Shifted Till 2020 / Importing From China / How To Build Your Business From Scratch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.