Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Banking Blues In 2016 - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banking Blues In 2016 (19253 Views)

Brief Summary Of All My Business Encounter In 2016. - I Take A Bow / Customs Generated N898bn As Revenue In 2016 / Mike Adenuga Is The Biggest Billionaire Gainer In Africa In 2016 - Forbes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by mickey45: 11:09am On Jan 05, 2016
Demmocrats:

To me there is no safe way to invest this days, the best way is to convert your wealth by buying gold instead of raw cash that doesn't have value much.

You know how to do that?
Buy Gold profitably?
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by 1freshdude: 11:23am On Jan 05, 2016
ejibaba:

What do you know is my opinion about TSA? I wrote from experience so I know what I wrote. If you doubt me find out the rate of Treasury bills before TSA implementation and after implementation, or wait am working on a research paper on it now so I can direct you to the paper when published or do your own research.

But my point is what do you think is my opinion about TSA?

While your opinion about the TSA implementation been the reason for this hullabaloo in the banking sector may be right, its just a proximate cause of the problem.
The ultimate cause is the Dutch disease!
This term was coined by the Economist 1977 to describe the woes of the Dutch economy. And it can be defined as the negative impact on an economy of a commodity that gives rise to a sharp inflow of foreign currency, such as the discovery of large oil reserves. The currency inflows lead to currency appreciation, making the country's other products less price competitive on the export market and in turn encouraging too much investment on this single commodity, leaving the other sectors of the economy far underdeveloped.
The oil is our curse, funds mobilized from savings are funneled into it exploration activities to the detriment of other sectors, it only makes sense that banks and the people will suffer when this oil becomes worthless.

Its like putting all your eggs in a basket, you know what happens when it falls now?
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by CashdownNG: 11:30am On Jan 05, 2016
Aviero:

Lalasticlala, you know this guy is right. This thread is our FP thread. F*cck that shiit! Nairalanders ti take over. Every f**king sentence is a hit.. from the banker jumping out of the window, to oil and gas. ko ni da fun iya anybody. *slams phone* *middle finger* angry

Werey... grin grin
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 11:36am On Jan 05, 2016
mickey45:

You know how to do that?
Buy Gold profitably?
Gold has actually lost 50 percent of its value in the last 3 years and continues to keep falling; investing in any commodity right now isn't the best decision, as commodity continue to suffer oversupply in the market. you can invest your money in durable organic investments as local agricultural production for a hungry market. entering the service sector.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 05, 2016
1freshdude:

While your opinion about the TSA implementation been the reason for this hullabaloo may be right, its just a proximate cause of the problem.
The ultimate cause is the Dutch disease.
This term was coined by the Economist 1977 to describe the woes of the Dutch economy. And it can be defined as the negative impact on an economy of commodity that gives rise to a sharp inflow of foreign currency, such as the discovery of large oil reserves. The currency inflows lead to currency appreciation, making the country's other products less price competitive on the export market and in turn encouraging sole focus on that single commodity, leaving the other sectors of the economy undeveloped.

I never disputed any economic theory to explaining this problem. However, I state confidently that the banking problems did not start as a result of the drop in oil prices. The CBN before the decline in oil prices did a review of cash reserve ratio of government funds increasing it upward (75%) and most banks couldn't cope with the increase as it affected them greatly even when the prices of oil was still high. This prompted an eventual reduction considering it affects on banks, which was a template that was presented to the previous government to jettisoned the idea as it result in mass sack that is on already. There is no fund as sweet as government fund as it is more stable than oil money ask any marketer in the bank. Now, no government money to loan to government, no government money to recycle, no government money to charge for transaction.

Most of this banks charge government agencies COT and other charges but they won't even dare it on oil company's cos what they want is the money to enjoy spread but in government money then enjoy both float and spread.

I know and understand the various economic theories and views on this issue but this is my own practical perspective from experience in working in retail focused and public sector focus era of banking.

2 Likes

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by 1freshdude: 11:58am On Jan 05, 2016
[quote author=ejibaba post=41674188]
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by 1freshdude: 12:07pm On Jan 05, 2016
ejibaba:

I never disputed any economic theory to explaining this problem. However, I state confidently that the banking problems did not start as a result of the drop in oil prices. The CBN before the decline in oil prices did a review of cash reserve ratio of government funds increasing it upward (75%) and most banks couldn't cope with the increase as it affected them greatly even when the prices of oil was still high. This prompted an eventual reduction considering it affects on banks, which was a template that was presented to the previous government to jettisoned the idea as it result in mass sack that is on already. There is no fund as sweet as government fund as it is more stable than oil money ask any marketer in the bank. Now, no government money to loan to government, no government money to recycle, no government money to charge for transaction.

Most of this banks charge government agencies COT and other charges but they won't even dare it on oil company's cos what they want is the money to enjoy spread but in government money then enjoy both float and spread.

I know and understand the various economic theories and views on this issue but this is my own practical perspective from experience in working in retail focused and public sector focus era of banking.

I agree with you bro. I agree with you bro. The falling oil price will compound their woes.
But i tell you, they only lost access to cheap capital with the new CRR but with the crashing oil price, they will lose invested funds. Their is a difference between losses and access to cheap capital.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2016
1freshdude:

I agree with you bro. The falling oil price will compound their woes.

Certainly it will disgrace them completely
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by 400billionman: 12:47pm On Jan 05, 2016
Tired of reading shiit..

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Austyn44(m): 1:20pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nice post. The best rule for investment is the " Umbrella and ice cream " method.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by jpphilips(m): 3:09pm On Jan 05, 2016
Sibrah:
The easy money presented by booming oil prices had rendered Nigerian banker so lazy they will have no way out but to face the reality of competitive economics this year. MFB and CB could easily give loan to workers at 24-30% because the 'workers' were having it easy hitherto. Ideally, the CB were suppose to be driving the core of the economy with low interest lending but have derailed so much because of the easy money virtually poking their nose and begging to be made.
I have said before, this is the time to start anything that leads to export-ready produces. If as a honey farmer or yam seller, for every $1000 you made before now you had 1000 X N165/$ to spend then by now you have some 1000 X N250/$ plus to spend. Our problem is lack of competitiveness in exportation caused by years of easy oil money. The easy oil money sure held us back for decades like a curse.

High interest rate on Treasury bills rendered bankers more useless than the oil boom, the writer only made a speculation.
The bankers books are there to see where the highest money was invested, It has never been oil and gas, NEVER!!
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Objektive: 3:23pm On Jan 05, 2016
SELECTIVE AMNESIA OP............................HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE EFFECT OF SANUSI IN ALL THESE?

WHAT SANUSI DID WAS TO UNDO THE WORK OF SOLUDO AND INCREASE JOB LOSES AND THE OPPOSITION WAS CLAPPING FOR HIM BECAUSE IT SUITED THEM.............

PLEASE ERASE SOLUDO AND WRITE SANUSI.

SAI BABA

theV0ice:
Food for thought

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/banking-blues-in-2016/
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 05, 2016
ejibaba:

What do you know is my opinion about TSA? I wrote from experience so I know what I wrote. If you doubt me find out the rate of Treasury bills before TSA implementation and after implementation, or wait am working on a research paper on it now so I can direct you to the paper when published or do your own research.

But my point is what do you think is my opinion about TSA?
There is no direct correlation btwn Tsa and treasury bills.
I wonder where u r getting ur info from
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Sibrah: 3:54pm On Jan 05, 2016
jpphilips:

High interest rate on Treasury bills rendered bankers more useless than the oil boom, the writer only made a speculation.
The bankers books are there to see where the highest money was invested, It has never been oil and gas, NEVER!!
It has always been, at least indirectly. Most loans given out are for housing, cars etc and were repaid with easy money from oil earnings. Let's see how many people rush to take loan at 24-30% interest rate with govt struggling to pay salaries. The easy money is taking a short break for now I tell you.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by theV0ice: 4:22pm On Jan 05, 2016
Objektive:
SELECTIVE AMNESIA OP............................HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THE EFFECT OF SANUSI IN ALL THESE?

WHAT SANUSI DID WAS TO UNDO THE WORK OF SOLUDO AND INCREASE JOB LOSES AND THE OPPOSITION WAS CLAPPING FOR HIM BECAUSE IT SUITED THEM.............

PLEASE ERASE SOLUDO AND WRITE SANUSI.

SAI BABA

Obvious Dyslexia....

Can you not see it's a write up culled from a newspaper with reference? Why not take up your grouse with the author?

Also the article is about the problems banks will face in 2016, why reduce it to Soludo or Sanusi's problem? Are you Soludo's mouth piece? Why are you bothered about inanities?

Pls focus on the substance of the article and stop being petty bothering about personalities....
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by jpphilips(m): 4:35pm On Jan 05, 2016
Sibrah:

It has always been, at least indirectly. Most loans given out are for housing, cars etc and were repaid with easy money from oil earnings. Let's see how many people rush to take loan at 24-30% interest rate with govt struggling to pay salaries. The easy money is taking a short break for now I tell you.

grin grin grin grin grin grin in bankers voice
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by jpphilips(m): 4:37pm On Jan 05, 2016
Bobbysworld28:

Most of the money Banks were investing in TB were govt idle funds, TSA ensured those good days never returned.

1 Like

Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by jpphilips(m): 4:41pm On Jan 05, 2016
Bobbysworld28:

Most of the money Banks were investing in TB were govt idle funds, TSA ensured those good days never returned.
Also TB is an OMO policy designed to mop up excess liquidity in the Economy, by implementing the TSA, the mop up was exponential hence no need to give chaps attractive interest rates on TB.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 05, 2016
Bobbysworld28:

The one you tested or your opinion? Pally leave trash for lawama
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 05, 2016
jpphilips:

Also TB is an OMO policy designed to mop up excess liquidity in the Economy, by implementing the TSA, the mop up was exponential hence no need to give chaps attractive interest rates on TB.

Abeg keep the guy quite...His statement has shown his ignorance
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by laprince(m): 5:46pm On Jan 05, 2016
Quality article
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by mandy4s: 6:41pm On Jan 05, 2016
Sibrah:
The easy money presented by booming oil prices had rendered Nigerian banker so lazy they will have no way out but to face the reality of competitive economics this year. MFB and CB could easily give loan to workers at 24-30% because the 'workers' were having it easy hitherto. Ideally, the CB were suppose to be driving the core of the economy with low interest lending but have derailed so much because of the easy money virtually poking their nose and begging to be made.
I have said before, this is the time to start anything that leads to export-ready produces. If as a honey farmer or yam seller, for every $1000 you made before now you had 1000 X N165/$ to spend then by now you have some 1000 X N250/$ plus to spend. Our problem is lack of competitiveness in exportation caused by years of easy oil money. The easy oil money sure held us back for decades like a curse.

NOW THIS IS THE FIRST REAL CONTRIBUTION TO THE ORIGINAL POST! NICE THOUGHTS FROM YA. THE REST JUST CONTRIBUTED TO THE WOES OF VALUABLE POSTS LIKE THIS NOT BUILDING STRONG FOLLOWERSHIP AND AS A RESULT NEVER GET TO MAKE IT TO FRONTPAGE. PRESENTS A SORE CASE OF DEARTH OF ACADEMIC KNOWLEDGE AND CRITICAL THINKING!
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by internetpo(m): 1:22pm On Jan 06, 2016
Aviero:

Lalasticlala, you know this guy is right. This thread is our FP thread. F*cck that shiit! Nairalanders ti take over. Every f**king sentence is a hit.. from the banker jumping out of the window, to oil and gas. ko ni da fun iya anybody. *slams phone* *middle finger* angry
werey. u and Olamide R one. lol
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by 2sexycom(m): 2:19pm On Jan 06, 2016
ishilove, lalasticlala this deserve front page.
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by missionmex(m): 8:34pm On Jan 06, 2016
An inteligent
Re: Banking Blues In 2016 by SunkyAde: 7:17pm On Jan 12, 2016
I like that idea of getting in any export related business now. Anyone with an idea of where i can get export seminar training.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help: How Can I Collect Money Through Western Union Without ID Card. / Dangote Refinery Suffers Supply Hiccups: Completion Shifted Till 2020 / Fidelity Bank CEO, Nneka Onyeali-ikpe, Emerges Anambra Woman Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.