Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,933 members, 7,824,932 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC (3200 Views)

My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! / Changed Fan,top Gasket But My Car Still Over Heats. / Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by natakin(f): 5:02pm On Jan 05, 2016
I just realised that any time i switch on my vehicle AC, it over heats...i have checked the entire cooling system and they are fine (100 percent)...i drove all day under heavy traffic jam without the AC on and everything is fine but once i switch on the AC it begins to over heat.

Can any body advice on the likeable cause?

The vehicle is Honda Civic.........

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 05, 2016
What of the engine fans r they working properly. look into it quickly so u dont get a knocked engine

1 Like

Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by natakin(f): 5:45pm On Jan 05, 2016
prettysolid:
What of the engine fans r they working properly. look into it quickly so u dont get a knocked engine

They are working very fine...
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by honmusa(m): 6:04pm On Jan 05, 2016
your fan seems to be working fan but the cooling capacity has reduced .this is what u get if your fan has been run direct.
your fan is only designed to work intermittently not continuously. so change your fan
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by natakin(f): 6:09pm On Jan 05, 2016
honmusa:
your fan seems to be working fan but the cooling capacity has reduced .this is what u get if your fan has been run direct.
your fan is only designed to work intermittently not continuously. so change your fan

You are right, the fan runs direct but changing fan to what type...cos the fans are pretty working fine
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by honmusa(m): 7:28pm On Jan 05, 2016
natakin:

You are right, the fan runs direct but changing fan to what type...cos the fans are pretty working fine
the fan is seemly working fan but not up to the best capacity to remove heat when your car has been loaded with the extra Ac compressor load.
buy the same type and compare the speed ,u will surely observe the difference .
and don't forget to connect your fan to the default

1 Like

Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:46pm On Jan 05, 2016
natakin:
I just realised that any time i switch on my vehicle AC, it over heats...i have checked the entire cooling system and they are fine (100 percent)...i drove all day under heavy traffic jam without the AC on and everything is fine but once i switch on the AC it begins to over heat.

explain the overheating, what most nigerian call overheating is not overheating as most car have thermo taken off fan running directly the temp gauge is always reading quater, then when the temp goes half way they assume its overheating
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by natakin(f): 9:27pm On Jan 05, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

explain the overheating, what most nigerian call overheating is not overheating as most car have thermo taken off fan running directly the temp gauge is always reading quater, then when the temp goes half way they assume its overheating

the guage reading is about 8/10 guage range...
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by natakin(f): 9:29pm On Jan 05, 2016
honmusa:

the fan is seemly working fan but not up to the best capacity to remove heat when your car has been loaded with the extra Ac compressor load.
buy the same type and compare the speed ,u will surely observe the difference .
and don't forget to connect your fan to the default

Ok but lets assume that the fans a re working perfectly, what other fault options do we have?
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 05, 2016
Are your condenser & radiator fins free from blockage or dirt?

1 Like

Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by natakin(f): 10:33pm On Jan 05, 2016
0rex:
Are your condenser & radiator fins free from blockage or dirt?

hmmmm...the radiator is new...double cell filled with coolant and all air purged...still the old condenser in it....and i had the condenser blown.
could a bad condenser be the problem?
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 05, 2016
natakin:

hmmmm...the radiator is new...double cell filled with coolant and all air purged...still the old condenser in it....can condenser really cause this?
Yes. If it is not allowing proper airflow to the radiator.

1 Like

Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by honmusa(m): 11:34pm On Jan 05, 2016
yes condenser and radiator clogged with dirt can also be responsible.

1 Like

Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by MrPristine: 3:04pm On Jan 08, 2016
natakin:

Ok but lets assume that the fans a re working perfectly, what other fault options do we have?

I had a similar problem with my car, it turned out that the gasket was flat. You may need to change your gasket but before then have your thermostat checked to ensure it's a tropicalised one you have.
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by autologic: 10:06pm On Jan 08, 2016
MrPristine:

I had a similar problem with my car, it turned out that the gasket was flat. You may need to change your gasket but before then have your thermostat checked to ensure it's a tropicalised one you have.
you are wrong sir

1 Like

Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by MrPristine: 3:11pm On Jan 09, 2016
autologic:

you are wrong sir

Kindly explain.
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by autologic: 5:38am On Jan 10, 2016
MrPristine:

Kindly explain.
Head gasket don't just go rupture unless there is a hidden overheating cause so it better to troubleshoot the root first which can range from leaking cooling system ,stuck closed thermostat ,faulty fan which in the case of the op and also u mentioned tropicalized thermostat ,there is nothing like tropicalized thermostat but stuck open or stuck closed thermostat fault .
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by MrPristine: 4:15pm On Jan 11, 2016
autologic:

Head gasket don't just go rupture unless there is a hidden overheating cause so it better to troubleshoot the root first which can range from leaking cooling system ,stuck closed thermostat ,faulty fan which in the case of the op and also u mentioned tropicalized thermostat ,there is nothing like tropicalized thermostat but stuck open or stuck closed thermostat fault .

In my case my car had previous overheating problems which was probably the cause of the rupture, concerning thermostat, to the best of my knowledge and from personal experience the temperature rating for cars in temperate regions is different to those in tropical region so he might also need to ensure he has the right thermostat meant for this region in his car.
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by autologic: 4:55pm On Jan 11, 2016
MrPristine:

In my case my car had previous overheating problems which was probably the cause of the rupture, concerning thermostat, to the best of my knowledge and from personal experience the temperature rating for cars in temperate regions is different to those in tropical region so he might also need to ensure he has the right thermostat meant for this region in his car.
Discussion on thermostat has been over stressed times without number on Nairaland.
A thermostat is expected to maintain the internal temperature of a engine at a certain range regardless of the external ambient temperature .
so a thermostat is the same thing for the same car all of the world .
As part of a regular schedule maintaince of a car ,a thermostat is a serviceable part that is expected to be replaced every one year as stated in most car manual. but if you prefer to let it fail before replacement ,u might not be able to arrest the overheating situation and can lead to bigger issue like head gasket rupturing ,engine block warping etc.

1 Like

Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by MrPristine: 2:46pm On Jan 13, 2016
autologic:

Discussion on thermostat has been over stressed times without number on Nairaland.
A thermostat is expected to maintain the internal temperature of a engine at a certain range regardless of the external ambient temperature .
so a thermostat is the same thing for the same car all of the world .
As part of a regular schedule maintaince of a car ,a thermostat is a serviceable part that is expected to be replaced every one year as stated in most car manual. but if you prefer to let it fail before replacement ,u might not be able to arrest the overheating situation and can lead to bigger issue like head gasket rupturing ,engine block warping etc.

Alright thanx for the info.
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by Lincolnburrows(m): 6:11am On Mar 09, 2018
natakin:

Has the problem been solved? If yes, tell us how. Thanks
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by MostWanted007(m): 4:06pm On Jun 10, 2022
What if in a case where the Fan goes off once the AC starts working for a few minutes and latter the car goes off
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by aaking(m): 10:26pm On Jun 10, 2022
natakin:

Sample: tell your mechanic to remove the thermostat from the engine. Do not change the fans unless if they're not working fine.
If the problem persist then go for bigger radiator to replace the one in the car
Re: My Car Over Heats When I Switch On My AC by olumzzz(m): 4:23am On Jun 11, 2022
aaking:

Sample: tell your mechanic to remove the thermostat from the engine. Do not change the fans unless if they're not working fine.
If the problem persist then go for bigger radiator to replace the one in the car
Damn.
Me: Doctor, food doesn't stay in my belly, I'm purging.
Doctor: Just eat more food, you go purge but small go remain for your belly.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Remove This Wheel Lock No Key Came With Car / The Man Who Owns 400 Cars / High performance Cars info Zone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.