Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,132 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! (12814 Views)

AS E DEY Happen(a Pidgin Story) / Naruto Chapter 593 (pidgin English) / Would You Buy A Book Written In Pidgin English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by RuuDie(m): 9:21am On Jul 17, 2009
Akanniade:

Which flavour u wan learn? Lagos or warri.

or aboki

grin
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by amy120705(f): 10:20pm On Jul 17, 2009
RuuDie:

"How mush u go pay me sef ?" = how much are you going to pay *(presumably for the lessons)
your doin it 4 free lol wink,
Akanniade:

Which flavour u wan learn? Lagos or warri.
most ppl i kno frm lagos or abuja, so tht i guess is there alot of difference thn
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by RuuDie(m): 8:39am On Jul 20, 2009
amy120705:

your doin it 4 free lol wink,

Free ke. . . . no carry me play oh!? abi u wan make yawa gas for here!? grin (Try saying to yourself & translating that!)

amy120705:

most ppl i kno frm lagos or abuja, so tht i guess is there alot of difference thn

walahi, difference a dey flenty flenty! grin (Try saying to yourself & translating that too!)

1 Like

Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by amy120705(f): 12:45pm On Jul 20, 2009
RuuDie:

Free ke. . . . no carry me play oh!? abi u wan make yawa gas for here!? grin (Try saying to yourself & translating that!)

walahi, difference a dey flenty flenty! grin (Try saying to yourself & translating that too!)

guy u r too funny!! why cnt u rite da pidgin thn rite the translation?? im not gd at translatin wat i dnt kno lol, soooooooooooooooo agen i dunoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lol
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by firestar(f): 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2009
Start watching naija comedy shows like : nite of a thousand laughs, rhythm unplugged. . . listen to naija musicians.
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by amy120705(f): 12:57pm On Jul 21, 2009
firestar:

Start watching naija comedy shows like : nite of a thousand laughs, rhythm unplugged. . . listen to naija musicians.
i do listen to nigerian singers, thnx mite try da comedy stff
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by RuuDie(m): 5:28pm On Jul 24, 2009
where u dey since sef

where have u been all this while
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by amy120705(f): 9:05pm On Jul 24, 2009
RuuDie:

where u dey since sef

i bin here :S
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by Goldpeas(m): 8:50am On Jul 25, 2009
Nawa see me see whala so tay wytee wan learn we major lang. E no mean sha as long as AMY fit cope.oya come folo me yan d pidgin.ho ho ho
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by Goldpeas(m): 8:57am On Jul 25, 2009
See if u wan reali learn pidgin locate me 4 emypeas@gmail.com.tho categories yakpa sha lyk niger-delta, lagos even fulani etc.jus try pin me down 4 dat e-mail
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by amy120705(f): 2:57pm On Jul 25, 2009
RuuDie:

where u dey since sef

haha i used this on my nigerian m8 yday, he wants to kno my source smiley i fink thy gettin mad im knowin 2 much smiley fnx smiley
Goldpeas:

See if u wan reali learn pidgin locate me 4 emypeas@gmail.com.tho categories yakpa sha lyk niger-delta, lagos even fulani etc.jus try pin me down 4 dat e-mail
ermm ok will do
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by agboifo(f): 11:59am On Aug 13, 2009
Pratix mak pafeckt smiley www.pijjin.com
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by dgreatrock(m): 11:20pm On Aug 21, 2009
you don fall your hand
you have performed below expectaion
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by dgreatrock(m): 11:21pm On Aug 21, 2009
hunger dey kpokpo me

i am very hungry
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by dgreatrock(m): 11:22pm On Aug 21, 2009
no be today yansh dey for back

whatever you are trying to say is not a new thing
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by dgreatrock(m): 11:23pm On Aug 21, 2009
i dey kolo for you

i am crazy about you
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by nex(m): 2:58am On Aug 22, 2009
@amy120705

before I can say anything about learning pidgin, I have to know how good your English grammar is so at least I can explain some basic concepts in pidgin English.

If you can lay your hands on some decent videos of Fela Kuti which has subtitles, it'll do you some good.
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by amyb1(f): 4:51pm On Aug 22, 2009
nex:

@amy120705

before I can saw anything about learning pidgin, I have to know how good your English grammar is so at least I can explain some basic concepts in pidgin English.

If you can lay your hands on some decent videos of Fela Kuti which has subtitles, it'll do you some good.

my English grammer is very good I am English afterall lol tongue

will c if ne of my m8s hav da vids, fnx
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by nex(m): 7:23pm On Aug 22, 2009
Okay, lemme start with the verb "be" which can be conjugated to to various forms: "am" "are" "is"  (in the first person, second person or third person singular or plural  present tense) remains as "be".

I am a man
I be man (removal of the article "a"wink

we are women
we be women

she is a thief
she be thief (removal of the article "a"wink.

You are a tailor
You be tailor.

They are police
Dem be police ( the pronoun "they is never used in pidgin English)

The verb be in the present continuous, which remains the same in English, changes form in pidgin. So am, are or is becomes "dey" (this has nothing to do with they in English). The "ing" in English is then done away with where necessary. eg:

I am going
I dey go

they are coming
dem dey come

you are learning
you dey learn

it is there (no "ing"wink
e dey there ("e" is a very important pronoun in pidgin English sometimes for the second person singular but always for non-humans.)

"Na" is another word that can be used as a universal indicative form of the verb "to be". It can be used for the present, past, future, and also both singular and plural to replace the verb "be" in the forms "it is", "it was" and it not only replaces the verb, but the pronoun which follows. eg:

It is my book
na my book

it is her house
na her house

it is mike
na mike

it was mike
na mike

it was mike who beat me
na mike beat me

it was she who killed the snake
na she kill the snake (there's no expression of the past tense using "ed" in pidgin)

it is I who will pray
na me go pray ("will" is always presented as "go" to establish future tense or indicate promise and future action. However, the word "go" which means motion still exists as "go" in pidgin English ).

Be, dey and na are very important words in basic Pidgin English grammar.

Some very basic vocabulary which you may need to converse with in Pidgin English are:

Abeg - Please
Sabi - know
chop - eat
jones - suffer
oyibo - non-African
jand - the UK (or generally abroad)

TBC.

2 Likes

Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by dgreatrock(m): 10:04pm On Aug 22, 2009
good work, nex.
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by amyb1(f): 3:08pm On Aug 23, 2009
nex:

Okay, lemme start with the verb "be" which can be conjugated to to various forms: "am" "are" "is" (in the first person, second person or third person singular or plural present tense) remains as "be".

I am a man
I be man (removal of the article "a"wink

we are women
we be women

she is a thief
she be thief (removal of the article "a"wink.

You are a tailor
You be tailor.

They are police
Dem be police ( the pronoun "they is never used in pidgin English)

The verb be in the present continuous, which remains the same in English, changes form in pidgin. So am, are or is becomes "dey" (this has nothing to do with they in English). The "ing" in English is then done away with where necessary. eg:

I am going
I dey go

they are coming
dem dey come

you are learning
you dey learn

it is there (no "ing"wink
e dey there ("e" is a very important pronoun in pidgin English sometimes for the second person singular but always for non-humans.)

"Na" is another word that can be used as a universal indicative form of the verb "to be". It can be used for the present, past, future, and also both singular and plural to replace the verb "be" in the forms "it is", "it was" and it not only replaces the verb, but the pronoun which follows. eg:

It is my book
na my book

it is her house
na her house

it is mike
na mike

it was mike
na mike

it was mike who beat me
na mike beat me

it was she who killed the snake
na she kill the snake (there's no expression of the past tense using "ed" in pidgin)

it is I who will pray
na me go pray ("will" is always presented as "go" to establish future tense or indicate promise and future action. However, the word "go" which means motion still exists as "go" in pidgin English ).

Be, dey and na are very important words in basic Pidgin English grammar.

Some very basic vocabulary which you may need to converse with in Pidgin English are:

Abeg - Please
Sabi - know
chop - eat
jones - suffer
oyibo - non-African
jand - the UK (or generally abroad)

TBC.

ohhhh thnx alot v v helpful smileysmiley

1 Like

Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by dgreatrock(m): 8:23pm On Aug 23, 2009
chief, next
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by nex(m): 1:55am On Aug 24, 2009
Let's quickly look at some auxillary verbs

"will" and "shall" are substituted by "go" to state promise or obligation to future action usually in combination with other verbs. It is also used to show the future tense. The auxillary verb "go" should not be mistaken or cannot be used interchange with the verb "go" which is also used just as in English to mean to move, to leave or depart, to travel. This auxillary verb "go" can be used as indicated below. eg:

I will pay
I go pay

Mike will drive
Mike go drive

It is Mike who will drive.
Na Mike go drive.

I shall go home
I go go house (home in pidgin english is used to indicate hometown only)

we will know what happened
we go sabi  wetin happen

They shall sleep here
Dem go crash for here  (for in pidgin can be used to stress indication location or situation)

The auxillary verb "should" is replaced by "suppose" in pidgin english to show duty or also generally in expressing the future tense too, but regarding duty or events "meant to" happen with a high degree of certainty. Similar to the use of the "suppose" in English, but in pidgin english, suppose is more widely used. eg:

You should be online
You suppose dey online

Peters should beat Tyson
Peters suppose beat Tyson

They should be in prison
Dem suppose dey creg (in is never used in pidgin sometimes replaced by "inside" but generally, It's just done away with).

In questions which begin with "should", the pidgin translation "make" should be used. "make" is also used to replace "let" when used in requests or suggestions. eg:

Should I marry her?
Make I marry am?

Should there be light?
Make light dey?

Let's get stoned
Make we high

Let there be light.
Make light dey.  

Some basic useful phrases in pidgin english.

Which levels?
What's up?

Fall hand
disappoint

shine eye
be observant

Siddon look
docile

Wetin dey?
What's happening?

How far?
What's new?

Go Slow
Traffic Jam

Area boy
Thug/Tout

Bad Belle
Jealous/Jealousy

1 Like

Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by nex(m): 12:40pm On Aug 24, 2009
@dgreatrock, amy

thanks y'all.

1 Like

Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by nex(m): 2:38pm On Aug 24, 2009
Let's explore the past tense and past participles.

In the past tense, the "ed" is simply excluded from the verb to form a statement that may seem like the present continuous in English. eg:

You you cried yesterday
You cry yesterday

We begged him
We beg am (am is the second person singular in the objective. it, she he all translate to "am" in pidgin english.)

I ate breakfast
I chop morning food.

She walked away.
She waka commot.  (waka means walk. Then come out is the origin of commot which means to leave, or to exit)

I browsed the web this morning
I browse this morning.

I looked at her
I look am

The past participle is mostly translated by adding the word "don" in front of the unconjugated form of the verb and exclusion of the word "have". Don originated from wide use of the English word "done" in accentuating verbs for actions that have already been done. eg:

I have spoken
I don yarn

Mike has seen her
Mike don see am

John has met Helen
Johnny don meet Helen

They have  enjoyed themselves
Dem don enjoy (there's no object in enjoying self in pidgin english).

Usain has broken a record
Usain don break record

You have paid
You don pay/Una don pay  (in pidgin english, the singular second person is differentiated from the plural: "you" and "una"wink

Has he woken up?
E don wake?

We have won
We don win

Translation of some regularly used pidgin english words:

trowey
cast/throw away

waka
walk

spoil
destroy/corrupt/ruin/rot

mend
beat up/complain

creg
jail/prison

vex
anger/ annoy

tackle
harass

borku
much

barf
cloth/clothe

chook
stab/insert/pierce/penetrate/fuçk

yankee
USA/USA citizen

show
concert

bone
ignore

chin
ignore

dough/bar/pepper
money

minerals
soda

baff
bath/bathe

sharp
smart/intelligent/wise

wahala/gbeghe
trouble/problem/issues

Naija
Nigeria/Nigerian

bazz/cigar
cigarette

mumu
stupid/stupidity/idiot/idiocy/dull/fool/foolish/foolishness

crase/kolo
craze/crazy/crazed/mad/madness/insane/insanitypsycho

pally
friend/befriend/buddy

2 Likes

Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by dgreatrock(m): 10:33pm On Aug 24, 2009
e dey tortor ri me

it is tickling me cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by amyb1(f): 2:23pm On Aug 25, 2009
omg!!! how am i gnna remmeber all of this? lol fnx agen
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by dgreatrock(m): 2:36pm On Aug 26, 2009
Dont worry, take it a step at a time
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by Nobody: 3:55am On Aug 28, 2009
Uhm.
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by dgreatrock(m): 7:37pm On Aug 28, 2009
:-x :-x :-x
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by Scofield007(m): 10:59am On Aug 29, 2009
Nice 1 nex. How far u don tish dis tin bifor? Na wa o. Na difsent tin mek u get sometin an mek u fi giv am out. , Now AMY, this one's for you. I'm sure if those Naija friends have noticed the lil pidgin in you, they'll want to continue testin your knowledge especially wit questions like 'how far' and 'how you dey'. Just reply them saying 'i firm wellishly'. Wait to see the look on their faces cos i'm sure most of them have not known about that reply yet. Its a new slang for the normal 'i dey' which means "i'm fine' and the two pidgin questions above means how are you.
Re: I Wanna Learn Pidgin English! by Scofield007(m): 11:05am On Aug 29, 2009
Nice 1 nex. How far u don tish dis tin bifor? Na wa o. Na difsent tin mek u get sometin an mek u fi giv am out. , Now AMY, this one's for you. I'm sure if those Naija friends have noticed the lil pidgin in you, they'll want to continue testin your knowledge especially wit questions like 'how far' and 'how you dey'. Just reply them saying 'i firm wellishly'. Wait to see the look on their faces cos i'm sure most of them have not known about that reply yet. Its a new slang for the normal 'i dey' which means "i'm fine' and the two pidgin questions above means how are you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Can I Download African Novels?? / Nairaland Authors And Their Books (Updated 15th September, 2023) / The Devil's Love (a Tale Of A Rapist) By John Mfon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.