Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,181 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition (26825 Views)

Robot Demoted And Fired At A Supermarket In UK After A Week Of Incompetence / Nigerian Man Become A US Soldier As He Completes His Training (Photos) / This Lady Was Fired For Being Too Pretty In London (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by CELEBRITIZ(m): 1:41pm On Jan 07, 2016
OohLalah:

Now you are crying about 2000 non MTN employees fired by their employer Visafone as the owner jumps a sinking ship? Were you not the same people calling for MTN to leave? You can't eat your cake and have it. Good move by MTN, colonizing Nigeria from 1994! cheesy

Now, lets what Buhari's govt will do regarding the fine? Any further loss of jobs on his watch will dent his presidency big time. Let the games, continues. cheesy
i concord
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by OohLalah(f): 1:43pm On Jan 07, 2016
emmanuelgon:
Almost subscribed to visafone, but MTN buying it I'll never do it, already pot my MTN line to ETISALAT by saying NO to south African firms, I HATE THEM with PASSION!!!

Your hate is useless, Nigeria cannot take it to the bank. cheesy If your hate was anything to be bothered about it should have saved Visafone by buying it and preserving the jobs.

Just generate more hate until it becomes dollars or kill you tongue
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by comos: 1:50pm On Jan 07, 2016
ajebuter:
Liar-in-chief: Blame GEJ

If PDP had not stolen the world wealth, such would have been avoided: Ngenekunu

If PMB had A1 in Economics, this would have been avoided: Barcatalkie

Nigeria is messed up and hold GEJ: Omen-burukutu

Una don shack ogogoro and Akure weed again, abi? : Ajebuter

grin grin grin grin grin grin

take it easy, why drink panadol for another man's headache.
moreover GEJ dose not know if you exist.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by Kaysalas(m): 1:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
Don999:

If dem like make dem change d name from visafone to passportfone e no concern me but na beta thunder go fire dem if dem try scrap the bb 1tb,10tb data allowances angry sad
My Broda! Na wetin I dey consider be that O, now wey I wan go buy my own
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by Seun360(m): 1:55pm On Jan 07, 2016
Jim Ovia don cash in on visafone?
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by Godmother(f): 1:56pm On Jan 07, 2016
pocohantas:

Any person with good foresight should have seen it coming. Visafone has been on life support...

Yea, they knew Visaphone would fold, but a lot of them expected that to happen much later in the year not the first month of the year.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by Idrismusty97(m): 2:18pm On Jan 07, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
Buhari has plunged this country into misery
But what is wrong with you? Are you this dumb or you are just pretending?
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by VickyRotex(f): 2:20pm On Jan 07, 2016
XtraSmooth404:

RIP English cry cry cry

lmao!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by VickyRotex(f): 2:20pm On Jan 07, 2016
BABANGBALI:
who tolded you to weep for me?are you a member of the wailing wailers?

See your life outside? Sho ra ye, e lo de? embarassed cry
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by Boeing777pilot: 2:42pm On Jan 07, 2016
Godmother:
Its so sad that when a company is being acquired most times a lot of the staff get sacked. Its worse in this case because these people didn't see the sack coming

That's why a plan b is always necessary

1 Like

Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by arabianights: 2:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
chi4ik4:
there's no difference between MTN & Lai Mohammed.

Please educate us on this comparism and how you arrived at it
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by princeattah1: 2:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
Please has anyone gotten TSA Alert - MTN fine . Have they paid because last time I checked FG and NCC gave them 31st Dec 2015 to pay regardless of the pending court issue.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by ojnnaco(m): 4:11pm On Jan 07, 2016
OohLalah:

Now you are crying about 2000 non MTN employees fired by their employer Visafone as the owner jumps a sinking ship? Were you not the same people calling for MTN to leave? You can't eat your cake and have it. Good move by MTN, colonizing Nigeria from 1994! cheesy

Now, lets see what Buhari's govt will do regarding the fine? Any further loss of jobs on his watch will dent his presidency big time. Let the games, continue. cheesy
Lolzxz.. U said colonizing Nigeria since when
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by playboy19(m): 5:49pm On Jan 07, 2016
MediaDeveloper:
How long can 3 months salary sustain someone who must likely have a family and need to care for in this go-slow government and economy?

MTN should have retained at least 45 per cent of Visafone's workforce following its acquisition.

How will Nigerians have work if a foriegn company will come and buy an indigenous company and lay off over 80 per cent of its workforce whom are likely to be Nigerians?

MTN should consider calling back some of the sacked workers or labour unions should step in to protect the common interest of its members.

For those looking for a job and those that have a nice job but do not want to be taken by suprice...

Here are some reasons to start job hunting now: http://www.234jam.com/2016/01/got-ambition-you-should-job-hunt-for.html

I feel sorry for the affected workers and wish them good luck and success in their job hunt and career.

That's the general idea. Bargain with the FG to reduce or write off their fine while they call the 2000 workers back and maybe employ a thousand more. Business is more than buying and selling. Business is a game of wit.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by mzilakazi(m): 6:38pm On Jan 07, 2016
ojnnaco:
High rate of Unemployment
High rate of Corruption
High rate of Poverty
Yet, MTN is still owing the Nigerian Govt and boldly acquiring Companies and still sacking its citizens thereby creating massive unemployment in the same nation its owing ...
Where is FG??

MTN is not owing anyone anything. You can't give telecom companies only seven day to disconnect unregistered sim cards without considering their respective size of customers. That seven days deadline might be well suited for Etisalat but not MTN. Moreover you should ask yourself if the fine is in consistent with the offences that MTN is accused of. Fine should be imposed on the total of a whole and not on individual unregistered number. That's madness and that action is tantamount to suggest that the fine was predetermined.

BP was fined $18 billion by the federal government of USA and the fine was to be paid back in 18 years.

MTN was fined $5.2 billion by the NCC and was instructed to pay the fine in just a month. Is this a madness.

Matters that concerns or threatens state security must be addressed by the federal government and not NCC as it is way far outside their jurisdiction. They are tasked to regulate the industry and not to act as lawmakers, police, prosecutors and judges should any federal government laws are broken.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by 4C2215131: 6:43pm On Jan 07, 2016
It comes with the terrain, the firing that is, with most mergers and acquisitions.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by MediaDeveloper(m): 8:05pm On Jan 07, 2016
playboy19:

That's the general idea. Bargain with the FG to reduce or write off their fine while they call the 2000 workers back and maybe employ a thousand more. Business is more than buying and selling. Business is a game of wit.

I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by awa(m): 8:20pm On Jan 07, 2016
stevealibi:
D 3 month severnce py no do una? Greedy peeps

Bros just pray you don't loose your work this way after working over 10 Years with a Company. Stop being insensitive to others plights or better still, don't even comment instead of calling them names.

Thanks and just before you call me greedy Peep; I am not working with Visafone.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by onunwa21(m): 8:28pm On Jan 07, 2016
Change

Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by Diamond69(m): 1:28am On Jan 08, 2016
SECONDED !!!
lofty900:
My own is that MTN should pay their fine. The money is not coming into my pocket but it will make me happy
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by mikolo80: 4:39am On Jan 08, 2016
Godmother:
Its so sad that when a company is being acquired most times a lot of the staff get sacked. Its worse in this case because these people didn't see the sack coming
if the staff had done their job their company would not need to be acquired
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by Godmother(f): 7:06am On Jan 08, 2016
Boeing777pilot:

That's why a plan b is always necessary

Yea, you are right.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by Godmother(f): 7:09am On Jan 08, 2016
mikolo80:
if the staff had done their job their company would not need to be acquired

Hmmm, you think so?
Well, I believe they are victims of the market and the competitiveness of the telecoms market. Even if they had put in their best, visaphone would most likely still have been sold
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by mikolo80: 7:25am On Jan 08, 2016
Godmother:

Hmmm, you think so?
Well, I believe they are victims of the market and the competitiveness of the telecoms market. Even if they had put in their best, visaphone would most likely still have been sold
etisalat came after visaphone o.
they were simply useless and not competitive
just interested in salary and swag
no real contribution
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by asalimpo(m): 6:09pm On Feb 13, 2016
Businesses exist for profit. First. Anything/person that does'nt contribute to the bottom line must be excised.
I wonder why people get so worked up about being sacked/losing their jobs. Expecting a company to baby sit them.
This is a fact of life. There's risk everywhere and in every venture. If you are an employee you can be sacked. If you are an economy you can be depressed. If you are a corporation, you can go bankrupt, if you are an expectant mum, you could miscarry, if you take a flight, the plane may crash. If you make a proposal, you could be rejected. If you invest in stocks, the market may collapse.
At least they got some severance pay.
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by asalimpo(m): 6:14pm On Feb 13, 2016
mzilakazi:

MTN is not owing anyone anything. You can't give telecom companies only seven day to disconnect unregistered sim cards without considering their respective size of customers. That seven days deadline might be well suited for Etisalat but not MTN. Moreover you should ask yourself if the fine is in consistent with the offences that MTN is accused of. Fine should be imposed on the total of a whole and not on individual unregistered number. That's madness and that action is tantamount to suggest that the fine was predetermined.

BP was fined $18 billion by the federal government of USA and the fine was to be paid back in 18 years.

MTN was fined $5.2 billion by the NCC and was instructed to pay the fine in just a month. Is this a madness.

Matters that concerns or threatens state security must be addressed by the federal government and not NCC as it is way far outside their jurisdiction. They are tasked to regulate the industry and not to act as lawmakers, police, prosecutors and judges should any federal government laws are broken.

this country is run by idio.ts and m.orons. That's why nothing works
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by asalimpo(m): 6:21pm On Feb 13, 2016
playboy19:

2000 workers they dont need. C'mon bro, dyu keep around excess body fat? Last i heard, health-conscious people are trying to get rid of theirs. The only place where people dont get sacked is in the federal civil service, that's y its unable to compete with private corporations. It's full of unreliable, unqualified sit tight lazy ungrateful workers. You want mtn or any corporation to become like that?
Re: 2,000 Visafone Workers Fired As MTN Completes Acquisition by Ndipe(m): 1:20am On Mar 14, 2017
Godmother:

It happened here in Silicon Valley. I read of some employees who had to train people who lived abroad, unaware that these trainees were actually their replacement and that their jobs were about to be outsourced to them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

House, I Am Confused / Customer Service Agents Might Go Hungry In The Nearest Future / MTN Nigeria Statement On Their Alleged Plan To Sack Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.