Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank (1566 Views)

Casualization, Organization Commitment And Employees’ Turnover Intentions. / Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You / I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank by Lilibeth914(f): 4:09pm On Jan 07, 2016
Hi fellow Nairalanders,
I want to know if banks practice outsourcing, i would also like to know if some bank workers are casual workers.
I just found out that outsourcing and casualization of labour are not the same.
Please, I need enlightenement of how both exists in the bank and the merits and demerits of both.
Re: Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank by Lilibeth914(f): 6:54pm On Jan 07, 2016
pls help me out, i am having issue on this with regards to my project.
Re: Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 07, 2016
Yes.
Almost all the banks in Nigeria outsource. The staff are called contract staff. Their terms are stated on the offer letter. Some for 6 months, others for one year. Most are renewed after the expiry of the contracts, however, when banks need to downsize to remain afloat, the outsourced are the first to go. This happens most times, cos they have little legal powers with the bank .

Casuals are mostly used for jobs that come once in a while , or at some particular time of the year.
Waec, nigeria population comission, etc use them most times. You are paid for everyday you come to work. Any day u dont feel like coming or u have other engagements, u can stay at home and not be paid. The terms for cvasuals are also stated. For some, if u miss work for ten days in a month, d job is terminated.

I know cos I've done the two jobs.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank by gentlekaycy: 9:46pm On Jan 07, 2016
Well said mercylicios. In addition, addition,contract staff are paid by the outsourcing firm who is their employer and not the bank they are seconded to hence they have no direct dealing with the bank

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank by Lilibeth914(f): 11:16pm On Jan 07, 2016
But are outsourced staff treated lower than direct employees by banks? i mean in terms of work conditions and salary?
Re: Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank by Lilibeth914(f): 11:20pm On Jan 07, 2016
[quote author=mercylicious post=41757549]Yes.
Almost all the banks in Nigeria outsource. The staff are called contract staff. Their terms are stated on the offer letter. Some for 6 months, others for one year. Most are renewed after the expiry of the contracts, however, when banks need to downsize to remain afloat, the outsourced are the first to go. This happens most times, cos they have little legal powers with the bank .

Casuals are mostly used for jobs that come once in a while , or at some particular time of the year.
Waec, nigeria population comission, etc use them most times. You are paid for everyday you come to work. Any day u dont feel like coming or u have other engagements, u can stay at home and not be paid. The terms for cvasuals are also stated. For some, if u miss work for ten days in a month, d job is terminated.

I know cos I've done the two jobs. [/pls does the use of outsourced staff cause problem between the management and the direct bank employees? ]
Re: Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 08, 2016
Lilibeth914:
But are outsourced staff treated lower than direct employees by banks? i mean in terms of work conditions and salary?
It depends on the bank. When I was in Uba as a contract there, the difference is very clear. It starts showing from the I'd card. Different ropes for I'd card. The contract are paid a day after the main staff has been paid. The leave days are also different. Contract had 15 days leave days while full staff had from 26 to 40 days depending on the grade then. No maternity leave for contract staff then, but currently, most bank give maternity leave to contract staff but with no pay. Staff have lot more allowances. Then, it was just our salary. No other allowances. Incentives were also withdrawn from contract staff. Today, a lot has changed in the conditions. Banks are trying to make contract staff feel better. I heard they are now included in the medical insurance. They now receive Dec essenco . essenco means essential commodities shared during Dec festivities to assist in the celebration, gifts like rice, tomatoes, oil, milk etc.

As for problem, it depends on how the bank treat the outsourced. Most outsourced staff feel inferior if the management don't recognise them. In fact, banks love employing outsourced staff cos its a form to employ cheap labour which still gets d job done.

A friend ( a contract staff) was shot by robbers during active work and the bank washed their hands off. They refered him to his outsourced coy . though contract staff work with the bank, their main employer is the outsourcing coy.
Of note is that some banks run outsourcing through their subsidiaries which is not a PLC but limited coy.

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Answers On Outsourcing And Casualization In The Bank by Lilibeth914(f): 5:59pm On Jan 08, 2016
Thank you very much mercylicious... You have just helped me out in a great way.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos State Npower Members Plans Protest. / I'm Serious, How Can I Find My Talent Or Something To Do? How Did You Find Yours / Qatar 5 years work permit within just 10 working days.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.