Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank (40547 Views)

How To Figure Out If You’re In The Wrong Job / 5 Signs You Are In The Wrong Job / Thinking Of Working In The Bank? My 25 Years Of Experience Will Help You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 1:03pm On Dec 09, 2015
Hello career Men and Women in the house. I seriously need your guide on this. Non career Men and women are also welcome provided you're vast in the area of administration.

Lawyers and Accountants in the house, you're welcome. Lalasticlala, Mr. Jarus please honour me with your time.

I created a new ID for this purpose not because I want to hide my identity from fellow forumite but from my siblings and a colleague and an ex-colleague who are aware of my membership and regular commenter here.

I work with a private company were corruption, back biting and witch hunting is the order of the day. Am not here to talk about the corruption aspect but the witch hunting and back biting. This happens if you don't belong to their clique.

If I told you I am angry and feel like exploding I won't be far from the truth.

Aside previous issues which I don't want to go into, it started towards the end of last month (November). I forwarded the soft copies of our salary schedule to the bank after the account department have gone to the bank with the cheque and hard copies for our November salary to be credited into our various accounts.

Over 24hours later, alert were not forth coming; of which payment due date was the same day the documents was sent to the bank. Our account officer was contacted and he said the bank was having network issues.

The next day, our accountant came to me and asked me to forward the soft copy to another receipiant saying the former receipiant was on leave. This I tried to do with the system but was unsuccessful due to bad network. Due to the urgency of the matter, I resorted to using my phone. I opened my sent folder and did the forwarding and it went on the first click.

I later left the office for breakfast. I was in the middle of it when my phones started buzzing. I was confused and alert on what could make 3different people be calling me at the same time. I decided to pick the most senior (position) persons own. He asked me to come to the office immediately that my immediate boss seeks my presence, this I oblige. I picked the next, she said same. I left my food for my colleague I went out with to bring it down to the office for me.

On getting to the office, I met the accountant at the entrance of my own office furious; she asked to know the month(salary) I forwarded to the bank. I don't understand I responded! Still furious, she told me I sent October instead of November. At this state I was confuse and was trying to confirm her assertion by checking my sent folder. She was still vibrating and saying all manners of things I can't remember. I kept her quite because I don't want to involve her in a show of shame and secondly she have a speech defect (stammerer). It got to a point her presence beside me and her noise became irritating. I shut her up; asking her to stop raising her voice on me and that I am not a kid. This actually worked because she kept quite and left for her office.

I was able to access my sent folder after countless refresh. Behold, it was actually October I sent cry. The head of management requested I print both October and November schedule for him. This I did. Maybe they went to the bank with it, I don't know.

A circular was released informing staff that a mistake was made in the schedule sent to the bank and will be rectified in December salary were credit or debit should be expected.

Minutes later, I was issued a query. Worthy of mention is that "I sent October salary schedule instead of November to the bank thereby causing embarrassment to staff and management and that I should explain why disciplinary action should not be taken against me for the serious mistake"

I replied thus "that I had diffulties using the system due to bad network and had to use my phone to forward the mail. Unknown to me that october schedule was the last item on the sent folder and I forwarded same without refreshing. And that I acknowledge my mistake and take responsibilities for the EMBARRASMENT my action has caused"

Just yesterday, the accountant called me asking if I have received a letter from my immediate boss, I told her no. She said OK and that I should expect one. And that I was being asked to pay for the over credit some staff got. She added that the head of management insisted on it even after she and my immediate boss kicked against it (washy).

Though am still expecting the letter, I was able to get access to my file and the comment reads "she take responsibilities for (as indicated in her last paragraph) so be it!

Hmmmmm, now, ladies and gentlemen, please analyse and tell me how to react upon receiving the letter.

Is their decision legal and morally right?

What action should I take.

Thanks for taking your time to read the long epistle. I await your comments and directions.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by midehi2(f): 1:08pm On Dec 09, 2015
oh gosh!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by ministeriallist: 1:19pm On Dec 09, 2015
The bank has a duty of care to verify the total amount in the cheque for conformity with sum total of scheduled amount. Hard copy was sent to the Bank. Why didn't they also verify. It's negligent on the part of the Bank also.

103 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by PresVA: 1:22pm On Dec 09, 2015
What a costly mistake! I will wait for professionals to come and answer. ..

However, I will suggest you appeal to them when you get the letter..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by MrBen10(m): 2:41pm On Dec 09, 2015
...take responsibilities for the
EMBARRASMENT my action has caused
This is where your mistake lies, they asked for a letter stating reasons why u are not to be blame. AND you are not to take responsibilities because you dnt knw what the responsibilties(consequence) are to be (Whether sack, demotion, to pay from ur salary etc).
You are suppose to give them a full detail of what happened, accept to be blame but plead it wouldnt happen again and promise to be extra careful not to repeat such financial misrepresentation again.
.***
Their decision is legal and morally right, But it will be morally wrong if you followed your first letter with a letter of apology and they still took such decision. Tho its a grave mistake from your side as we are talking about a company's finance(liquidity).
...***
I would advice you to temper a letter of apology to them, so as to show a feel of remorse about your error and giving them reasons why it may not happen again.
Dnt feel bossy here, be humble and retain your job back.
In the banking industry u get fired with immediate effect from such a gross error.
My advise is for you to send a follow up letter of apology to the management, to your boss and any other person holding a top independent position in the company.
Goodluck

151 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Sisiedo: 4:32pm On Dec 09, 2015
MrBen10:

This is where your mistake lies, they asked for a letter stating reasons why u are not to be blame. AND you are not to take responsibilities because you dnt knw what the responsibilties(consequence) are to be (Whether sack, demotion, to pay from ur salary etc).

The responsibilties here, is for the embarrassment (as stated in their letter) my misrepresentation caused.

MrBen10:

You are suppose to give them a full detail of what happened, accept to be blame but plead it wouldnt happen again and to be extra careful not to repeat such financial misrepresentation again.
.***

The full details of what happened was clearly stated and I accepted my fault.

I'd adhere to your advice and humble myself.

The letter have been served. I know they will not go back on their decision because my issue gives them sleepless night. They're are constantly on my case.

Thanks for your contribution. I feel a little better.

4 Likes

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by freemanbubble: 5:11pm On Dec 09, 2015
good
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by sukkot: 5:11pm On Dec 09, 2015
ok
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ok

- I can assure you that you would not be responsible for any excess or surcharge for the last payment to any employee.Your immediate boss or line manager would be queried.

- Expect a graded warning letter from HR.

- I see nothing wrong in accepting responsibility for the human error. However, your competence is really in doubt judging by the language of your write-up.

- Are you a qualified finance officer or manager?

- I expect you to modify the schedule as soon as possible so that management can see the extent of liability and plan how to remedy.

- I disagree that the October payroll would be higher than November especially if you consider bonus and 13th month payments.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by TrollTrap: 5:11pm On Dec 09, 2015
Didn't bother reading. Too long for man
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Berrylite: 5:12pm On Dec 09, 2015
That's a costly mistake from you there. Since you have signed to bear the consequence, nothing much to advice..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by looseweight: 5:12pm On Dec 09, 2015
I don't really know much about finances, but as people has rightly said, tender a letter of apology..

3 Likes

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by gebest: 5:13pm On Dec 09, 2015
then u are in trouble.
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by nastyesco(m): 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
End time salary payment grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by MadCow1: 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
Sorry

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by labakeJ(f): 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ehya embarassed
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Jchi9876: 5:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
you are too cocky and it will land you the commiserate punishment.

6 Likes

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by SQLmastar(m): 5:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
angry
You are here, you can never hide…
You are the reason I wasn't paid, abi? I just wish I could squeeze that your neck angry angry
Tell me, how would you feel if you were in my shoes ?? And to think the company pays you higher, when we all know how incompetent you are …

You never hear from me finish …

13 Likes

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Fernandowski(m): 5:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
dem don do Christmas finish!!!

hope dem sent you an appreciation letter?
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by BTT(m): 5:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
Wash.

Worst case scenario: You will loss your job and you have vindicated your organization by 'claiming responsibility' for that mix-up. Perfect excuse to excuse an arrogant staff. Except you are not known for errors and are loved by the power brokers.

Otherwise they are just threatening you, especially if you are the kind with padded shoulders. Thank your stars you didn't credit wrong accounts or double-pay your colleagues.

I opine that you honestly acknowledge your error and be a little more agreeable, especially with your superiors as your writing makes you cut across like an arrogant and pompous staff.

I am neither a lawyer nor an accountant but I manage dozens of people and I know errors happen. What happens next is usually your reactions after the error.

Good luck.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by JideTheBlogger(m): 5:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by sukkot: 5:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
smiley
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by madridguy(m): 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2015
GOD WILL HELP YOU OUT MY BROTHER. I SENSE SO MANY ENEMIES WITHIN . MISTAKE HAS NO MASTER, I WILL ADVISE YOU TO PRAY HARD IF YOU UNDERSTAND ME BETTER.

Sisiedo:
Hello career Men and Women in the house. I seriously need your guide on this. Non career Men and women are also welcome provided you're vast in the area of administration.

Lawyers and Accountants in the house, you're welcome. Lalasticlala, Mr. Jarus please honour me with your time.

I created a new ID for this purpose not because I want to hide my identity from fellow forumite but from my siblings and a colleague and an ex-colleague who are aware of my membership and regular commenter here.

I work with a private company were corruption, back biting and witch hunting is the order of the day. Am not here to talk about the corruption aspect but the witch hunting and back biting. This happens if you don't belong to their clique.

If I told you I am angry and feel like exploding I won't be far from the truth.

Aside previous issues which I don't want to go into, it started towards the end of last month (November). I forwarded the soft copies of our salary schedule to the bank after the account department have gone to the bank with the cheque and hard copies for our November salary to be credited into our various accounts.

Over 24hours later, alert were not forth coming; of which payment due date was the same day the documents was sent to the bank. Our account officer was contacted and he said the bank was having network issues.

The next day, our accountant came to me and asked me to forward the soft copy to another receipiant saying the former receipiant was on leave. This I tried to do with the system but was unsuccessful due to bad network. Due to the urgency of the matter, I resorted to using my phone. I opened my sent folder and did the forwarding and it went on the first click.

I later left the office for breakfast. I was in the middle of it when my phones started buzzing. I was confused and alert on what could make 3different people be calling me at the same time. I decided to pick the most senior (position) persons own. He asked me to come to the office immediately that my immediate boss seeks my presence, this I oblige. I picked the next, she said same. I left my food for my colleague I went out with to bring it down to the office for me.

On getting to the office, I met the accountant at the entrance of my own office furious; she asked to know the month(salary) I forwarded to the bank. I don't understand I responded! Still furious, she told me I sent October instead of November. At this state I was confuse and was trying to confirm her assertion by checking my sent folder. She was still vibrating and saying all manners of things I can't remember. I kept her quite because I don't want to involve her in a show of shame and secondly she have a speech defect (stammerer). It got to a point her presence beside me and her noise became irritating. I shut her up; asking her to stop raising her voice on me and that I am not a kid. This actually worked because she kept quite and left for her office.

I was able to access my sent folder after countless refresh. Behold, it was actually October I sent cry. The head of management requested I print both October and November schedule for him. This I did. Maybe they went to the bank with it, I don't know.

A circular was released informing staff that a mistake was made in the schedule sent to the bank and will be rectified in December salary were credit or debit should be expected.

Minutes later, I was issued a query. Worthy of mention is that "I sent October salary schedule instead of November to the bank thereby causing embarrassment to staff and management and that I should explain why disciplinary action should not be taken against me for the serious mistake"

I replied thus "that I had diffulties using the system due to bad network and had to use my phone to forward the mail. Unknown to me that october schedule was the last item on the sent folder and I forwarded same without refreshing. And that I acknowledge my mistake and take responsibilities for the EMBARRASMENT my action has caused"

Just yesterday, the accountant called me asking if I have received a letter from my immediate boss, I told her no. She said OK and that I should expect one. And that I was being asked to pay for the over credit some staff got. She added that the head of management insisted on it even after she and my immediate boss kicked against it (washy).

Though am still expecting the letter, I was able to get access to my file and the comment reads "she take responsibilities for (as indicated in her last paragraph) so be it!

Hmmmmm, now, ladies and gentlemen, please analyse and tell me how to react upon receiving the letter.

Is their decision legal and morally right?

What action should I take.

Thanks for taking your time to read the long epistle. I await your comments and directions.

1 Like

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by adedam007(m): 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2015
T
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by abumeinben(m): 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2015
Recall mail
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by cremedelacreme: 5:18pm On Dec 09, 2015
It was a grave mistake you made, though nobody is above mistake. The management asking you to pay the differential is both legally and morally wrong. What they should have done is to give an instruction to the bank to restrict any form of withdrawal (by placing a no debit) on all staff accounts till the anomaly is corrected, with that everybody is fine. This is also the reason most banks also ask for hard copies of salary schedule before it is processed. Anyway, I wish you luck.

7 Likes

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Abimloaded(m): 5:18pm On Dec 09, 2015
why telling us ? Go to the bank and explain to the department-in-charge.

4 Likes

Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by Chimaritoponcho: 5:18pm On Dec 09, 2015
pics or adonbilivit
Re: I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank by tpiar: 5:19pm On Dec 09, 2015
will read as soon as it's summarized.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 5 High Paying Side Hustles For Working Class People / 9 Clear Signs You Will Be Poor - FinancialSlot / Sergeant First Class Ifeanyi Rapu Honored In The US After Completing 3-Year Tour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.