Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,925 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use (6378 Views)

Torrot: A Vehicle Made For Lagos Traffic / (Price reduced) / Policeman In Ojota Assists With A Vehicle Causing Traffic - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 1:57am On Jan 08, 2016
Hello everyone, I want to buy a cheap but very good/ reliable vehicle scanner for private use and would welcome suggestions from those who currently use or have experience working with any of the not so expensive but reliable vehicle scanners available in the market.
Thank you.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by jum33: 7:09am On Jan 08, 2016
Ty

1 Like

Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by BOUNTYDOG(m): 9:24am On Jan 08, 2016
@OP I think you need to specify the brand of car u need it for
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 2:40pm On Jan 08, 2016
BOUNTYDOG:
@OP I think you need to specify the brand of car u need it for

Scanners are not vehicle specific.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 2:44pm On Jan 08, 2016
jum33:
Try obdlink sx ,rich in functions and easy to understand for private users ,and affordable .Since I have been using it ,I can easily see if anything is going wrong with my vehicle and make it cheaper to maintain my vehicle myself .
Apart from reading and erasing of codes, the scanner also have other function of display fuel comsumption ,also have a live display of your instrument guages etc.
Get it from autologic ,they will ship it directly to u free .
https://www.nairaland.com/2078663/bonanza-fastest-automobile-scanner-obdlink

Thanks. That's PC based. I want a normal hand held type.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mayor2013: 3:20pm On Jan 08, 2016
mexxy1:

Thanks. That's PC based. I want a normal hand held type.

We have the hand held type in stock. Can scan your powertrain, abs and airbag. Clear check engine light. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837. Bb pin is 7BE1C522

1 Like

Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 3:24pm On Jan 08, 2016
mayor2013:

We have the hand held type in stock. Can scan your powertrain, abs and airbag. Clear check engine light. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837. Bb pin is 7BE1C522

Kindly post pictures and price here if you don't mind. Thanks.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by dammiedot(m): 3:36pm On Jan 08, 2016
i use this and it works really well, i scan my car, get the error code, find out more about the error through https://www.google.com.ng/ , then tell the mech what to check or fix wink

https://www./maxiscan-509-obdii-diagnostic-car-scanner-autel-mpg2001.html

saves me money wink
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mayor2013: 5:04pm On Jan 08, 2016
mexxy1:

Kindly post pictures and price here if you don't mind. Thanks.

On personal request, thats why I dropped my bbm pin
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 5:28pm On Jan 08, 2016
mayor2013:

On personal request, thats why I dropped my bbm pin

I've sent a bbm request.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 5:34pm On Jan 08, 2016
dammiedot:
i use this and it works really well, i scan my car, get the error code, find out more about the error through https://www.google.com.ng/ , then tell the mech what to check or fix wink

saves me money wink

Thanks. How much did you get it and where?
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 8:46am On Jan 09, 2016
Can anyone tell me which is preferable between Maxiscan MS509 and Maxiscan MS609?
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by sammily(m): 1:04pm On Jan 09, 2016
I bought this little OBDII Bluetooth device which I use with the Torque Pro App (paid version) on my phone and its works for me. I've used it to scan for faults, clear faults and also see the parameters of cars I've used it with in real time. You can try it out.

Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 1:17pm On Jan 09, 2016
sammily:
I bought this little OBDII Bluetooth device which I use with the Torque Pro App (paid version) on my phone and its works for me. I've used it to scan for faults, clear faults and also see the parameters of cars I've used it with in real time. You can try it out.

I got one of these ELM Bluetooth scanners through konga. Not this exact one you posted though but it refused connecting with my phone so I returned it. View the screenshot from it.

That's why I'm trying to get a normal handheld type. The ELM Bluetooth types are cheaper. I wish it had worked.

Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by sammily(m): 1:29pm On Jan 09, 2016
mexxy1:

I got one of these ELM Bluetooth scanners through konga. Not this exact one you posted though but it refused connecting with my phone so I returned it. View the screenshot from it.

That's why I'm trying to get a normal handheld type. The ELM Bluetooth types are cheaper. I wish it had worked.

You can try it with Torque pro, maybe it will connect. Also make sure you use the right pairing key, its either 1234 or 0000 to pair it with your phone.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 3:11pm On Jan 09, 2016
sammily:

You can try it with Torque pro, maybe it will connect. Also make sure you use the right pairing key, its either 1234 or 0000 to pair it with your phone.

I did pair it back then but it just wouldn't connect so I had no option than to return it for a refund.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by dhemmyhardy(m): 9:03pm On Jan 09, 2016
Hello @mexxy1 you can get the hand held scanner you at an affordable price check my store

w w w . k o n g a . c o m / s w i f t -t r a c k - n i g e r I a . e n t e r p r i s e

Pay on delivery and you get to read all about the features

Regards
Dhemmy
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 10:08pm On Jan 09, 2016
dhemmyhardy:
Hello @mexxy1 you can get the hand held scanner you at an affordable price check my store

w w w . k o n g a . c o m / s w i f t -t r a c k - n i g e r I a . e n t e r p r i s e

Regards
Dhemmy

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by dammiedot(m): 2:22am On Jan 10, 2016
mexxy1:

Thanks. How much did you get it and where?

I bought mine from jumia online store
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by autologic: 5:51am On Jan 10, 2016
obdlink Sx is also available on Konga
w w w. konga. com/fastest-car-obdii-pc-based-scanner-1619426
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 12:47pm On Jan 11, 2016
dammiedot:

I bought mine from jumia online store

Thanks.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 10:48pm On Jan 28, 2016
dammiedot:

saves me money wink

I finally got the Autel Maxiscan MS509 from Konga and it was delivered on Monday.

@dammiedot, does your own unit work with battery? Mine didn't come with the 9v battery and I bought the battery but, it doesn't work with the battery. Only works when connected to the vehicle or my laptop.

Please tell me your experience as I want to return the unit by Monday before the 7day return window elapses.
I've spoken with the seller and he said he tested the unit with him and it doesn't work with battery and I can return before the 7days elapse.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 10:50pm On Jan 28, 2016
dhemmyhardy:

Regards
Dhemmy

Does your own work with the battery if the unit is unplugged from the vehicle?
I couldn't find your store on Konga.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by pek(m): 12:20am On Jan 29, 2016
Have MS 609 which is far better than 509. Willing to sell to you.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 8:41am On Jan 29, 2016
I just got the Autel Maxiscan MS509 but it doesn't work on battery. That is, when I unplug it from the vehicle or laptop, it goes off. Is this how it works?

cc:
Siena
Egunmogaji
Ikenna357
Piyke
Cardoctor
Gazzuzz
Kingreign

Thanks
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:44am On Jan 29, 2016
mexxy1:
I just got the Autel Maxiscan MS509 but it doesn't work on battery. That is, when I unplug it from the vehicle or laptop, it goes off. Is this how it works?

cc:
Siena
Egunmogaji
Ikenna357
Piyke
Cardoctor
Gazzuzz
Kingreign

Thanks

read the manual(you can download it) try a different car.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 9:04am On Jan 29, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

read the manual(you can download it) try a different car.

I just checked now. It's supposed to work with the battery when unplugged from the vehicle. And I already upgraded the software version. I'll return it for a replacement that works with battery.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mayor2013: 9:25pm On Jan 29, 2016
mexxy1:

I just checked now. It's supposed to work with the battery when unplugged from the vehicle. And I already upgraded the software version. I'll return it for a replacement that works with battery.

Autel ms509 works with the battery. The device has got an inbuilt memory that is capable of storing information e, g when you scan a car and you forgot the fault error and you need to get hold of the scan result. You can always plug in the battery and retrieve info from the scan tool
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 10:44pm On Jan 29, 2016
mayor2013:

Autel ms509 works with the battery. The device has got an inbuilt memory that is capable of storing information e, g when you scan a car and you forgot the fault error and you need to get hold of the scan result. You can always plug in the battery and retrieve info from the scan tool

The unit I got is not working with the battery and I plan returning it for a replacement or refund.
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mayor2013: 11:45pm On Jan 29, 2016
mexxy1:

The unit I got is not working with the battery and I plan returning it for a replacement or refund.

I have a good one for sale if you need it
Re: Recommend a Vehicle Scanner For Personal Use by mexxy1(m): 12:48am On Jan 30, 2016
mayor2013:

I have a good one for sale if you need it

New or used?

If new, how much?

If used, FORGET IT!

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Was Trampled By A G-wag G63 AMG At Akure-owo Axis. / Hybrid Electric Vehicles Issues / Honda Civic 2006/7 Problems. (us Spec)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.