Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience (11648 Views)

Marian Adejokun Suffers Allergic Eyedrop Reaction (Graphic Photos) / Please! Help With Rashes On My Face Caused By Drug Reaction / Drug Reaction Is Tearing My "LUCIFER" Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by Outstrip(f): 4:12pm On Jun 19, 2009
I am allergic to quinine but last year I went to Nigeria and when I got back turned out I had malaria. The doctors knew I was allergic to quinine but because I was already in bad shape when I got to the hospital they decided to go with quinine but gave me benadryl before. I did not itch for the 1 week plus I was on quinine. Who knew that just simple benadryl would stop that ungodly itching
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by agabaI23(m): 6:03pm On Jun 19, 2009
It does not work for everybody.
Antihistamines could be of help but most times, nothing for me esp if the itching has started. The only thing that may help is dexamethasone 1 or 2 tabs daily until the dose of the drug is over.
not the best of drugs anyway.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by biolabee(m): 10:45pm On Jun 19, 2009
i remember resochin,, very bitter

i also react to the quinine family though piriton helps in reducing the itches,
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by ifyalways(f): 12:07am On Jun 20, 2009
lol.nice and at same time educative smiley
Mine was Fansidar.Me and my GFs went shopping for a party we are suppossed to attend at the evening,while shopping,i had this funny headache and one of my Gfs just fished out this panadol from her purse,i swallowed 3 shocked never wanted to risk missing tha party cos of any headache.lol It turned it what she gave me was fansidar and i even took more than the normal dosage.
I did not get to finish the shopping with them,never attended the party,infact i was at the hospital that nite.My head was like exploding,i was itching all over plus the fever.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by dominique(f): 12:08am On Jun 20, 2009
I reacted to quinine too. . .nothing too dramatic, my body was itching allover and i was just too weak to care.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by nana(f): 12:32am On Jun 20, 2009
Oh My! I hate anything that has got to do with 'quine'. Back in Naija,I was in and out of hospital like no man's business. That wasn't an issue oh,but once I swallow Nivaquine 2-2-1 and likes of it,madness galore starts. And no allergy drug could take the itching away.
When the doctor in charge of my case got fed up of seeing my face,He prescribed paludrine which meant I had to take it everyday as my body was a home to malaria parasites.

Oh yeah. . .I wish they could stop injecting people with analgin. Each time I was injected with it, I used to pray not to get paralysed.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by lalaboi(m): 12:42am On Jun 20, 2009
nana:

Oh My! I hate anything that has got to do with 'quine'. Back in Naija,I was in and out of hospital like no man's business. That wasn't an issue oh,but once I swallow Nivaquine 2-2-1 and likes of it,madness galore starts. And no allergy drug could take the itching away.
When the doctor in charge of my case got fed up of seeing my face,He prescribed paludrine which meant I had to take it everyday as my body was a home to malaria parasites.

Oh yeah. . .I wish they could stop injecting people with analgin. Each time I was injected with it, I used to pray not to get paralysed.

me u. . , same same lol. , that analgin. . . . .baddest injection, then it looks lik someone is pulling ya tissues againt ya femur lol. , imagine dem giving you the injection in both parts of the bum, u gona av to crawl home lol
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by debosky(m): 12:43am On Jun 20, 2009
lalaboi:

me u. . , same same lol. , that analgin. . . . .baddest injection, then it looks lik someone is pulling ya tissues againt ya femur lol. , imagine dem giving you the injection in both parts of the bum, u gona av to crawl home lol
That analgin was nasty stuff - your legs feel like lead. grin

Luckily, that aside, I've never had any adverse reaction to drugs.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by lalaboi(m): 12:46am On Jun 20, 2009
debosky:

That analgin was nasty stuff - your legs feel like lead.  grin

Luckily, that aside, I've never had any adverse reaction to drugs.

Go use overdose of any drug. . . grin
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by oyinda3(f): 12:48am On Jun 20, 2009
I haven't swallowed a pill in a very long time (almost two years ago to be exact is the last time i took a multivitamin in the pill form). Everytime I swallowed one, i felt as though it was stuck in my throat no matter how much water i drink and I get a nauseous feeling. ugh. . .
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by informat09(m): 7:57am On Jun 20, 2009
i still believe that the best way against illnesses is to practice preventive medicine and this is done by eating the right kinds of foods,
food is medcine ,you can Take charge of your health by experiencing the healing power of everyday foods.

Personally i dont take drugs anytime i get symptoms, when your body manifest symptoms of a disease it's a way of your body telling you that its fighting unwanted intrusions in your body system, rather thatn help our bodies in the fight we simply take drugs which just cover up the symptoms without solving the real problems.

2 Likes

Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by iice(f): 11:34am On Jun 20, 2009
lalaboi:

me   u. . ,  same same lol. , that analgin. . . . .baddest injection, then it looks lik someone is pulling ya tissues againt ya femur lol. , imagine dem giving you the injection in both parts of the bum, u gona av to crawl home lol

laughin ma frozen butt off grin grin

Haven't noticed anything. No adverse reaction yet.
I used to wonder why they asked if one was allergic to quinine when i was small, thankfully i wasn't. 
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by agabaI23(m): 12:11pm On Jun 20, 2009
nana:

NAFDAC banned the use of analgin in 2003 or so. Any use in nigeria is illegal. Apart from the pain, the damn thing has some other side effects    which include blood dyscrasia and her brothers.
That was why paracetamol injection is everywhere in naija even though it cannot be panadol if it is not panadol
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by darqly(m): 1:36pm On Jun 20, 2009
Took Anafranil and I had my JAWS locked open from night till dawn. Seriously, my mouth was just wide open thruout the night. And I had strange nightmares to boot.
Damnest drug I ever took angry

1 Like

Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by nana(f): 2:18am On Jun 21, 2009
darqly:

Took Anafranil and I had my JAWS locked open from night till dawn. Seriously, my mouth was just wide open thruout the night. And I had strange nightmares to boot.
Damnest drug I ever took angry
Lol!!! I can't imagine what ur face looked like. Sowie.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by darqly(m): 9:23am On Jun 22, 2009
U don't know de half of it grin
I was on a company sponsored training and they set me up in this nice hotel and I woke up looking like death-warmed over de following morning. Needless to say I had a very "quiet-day" cos of tired jaws.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by yewaman: 12:45pm On Jun 22, 2009
I remember when I was like fourteen, had maleria and was giving this injection that had been
faced out in Europe and America, but trust us here, men! the story no get partII,
I itched for dayz, I itched even in the darkest part of the body.

People have lost their loved ones to adverse drug reaction. May God HELP Us.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by agabaI23(m): 12:46pm On Jun 22, 2009
Darqly

You are one of those who abuse anafranil for sexual strength. I am sure you do not need an antidepressant in a company sponsored trip. Naija grin grin

Too bad!
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by yewaman: 12:55pm On Jun 22, 2009
Some of us have mobile Chemist/Pharmacy in purse's or hand bags,
self medication is Dangerous.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by dominique(f): 2:19pm On Jun 22, 2009
LMAO@ darqly. . . sorry o! grin grin cheesy

yewa man:

Some of us have mobile Chemist/Pharmacy in purse's or hand bags,
self medication is Dangerous.

you're right but some people still get reactions from drugs that are recommended by doctor and purchased from reputable pharmacy. just pray it doesn't happen to you wink
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by darqly(m): 6:00pm On Jun 22, 2009
@agaba, I doubt very much if It's possible to shag with mouth ajar sad, and de condition I was in, only a brave woman would wait to see the outcome undecided
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by agabaI23(m): 6:04pm On Jun 22, 2009
darqly:

@agaba, I doubt very much if It's possible to shag with mouth ajar sad, and de condition I was in, only a brave woman would wait to see the outcome undecided

Yea that was because it all went wrong. grin grin Otherwise you would have pumped away under the influence. You should have gone for Via . . instead or magani burantashi grin grin. It is only in the north that I learnt why old men came for anafranil. I was shocked. lol
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by aieromon(m): 8:48am On Jun 23, 2009
@daryl
Agaba is right.agaba,this trend has spread to lagos but i never dispense anafranil for that purpose when you have cheaper forms of sildenafil.i don't want anybody comin' back with an ADR.
My body has banned me from takin' sulfa-based drugs because i used to abuse Septrin,,,,a lot.i came down with some bad a** skin reaction and since then,i use myself as an example to counsel my patients who love takin' sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine(Fansidar) whenever they have a fever.yukk
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by Huan: 1:02pm On Jun 25, 2009
Whenever I hear SEPTRIN, my heart aches. This drug enlarged my breasts, five minutes after application, with watery discharge from the breasts. As if that was not enough the old scars on my body reopened with fresh wounds and my private parts so responded that I was hospitalised for two days. My tongue became swollen and blistered. Since I had never experienced such a thing I was dead scared but the doctors only laughed and came to my rescue. Therefore, anytime I have cause to attend clinic, the next thing after stating my ailment is to notify the doctor about SEPTRIN.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by agabaI23(m): 5:32pm On Jul 22, 2009
Huan:

Whenever I hear SEPTRIN, my heart aches. This drug enlarged my breasts, five minutes after application, with watery discharge from the breasts. As if that was not enough the old scars on my body reopened with fresh wounds and my private parts so responded that I was hospitalised for two days. My tongue became swollen and blistered. Since I had never experienced such a thing I was dead scared but the doctors only laughed and came to my rescue. Therefore, anytime I have cause to attend clinic, the next thing after stating my ailment is to notify the doctor about SEPTRIN.

You probably were thinking of going under the knive to enlarge your breasts undecided
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by hannydarl(f): 10:09pm On Oct 29, 2011
It killed my dear mom last year. stupid nurses who thought swelling up was normarl after a drug was administeered told my sister not to worry that its part of side effect of the medication given to my mom who was recovering from meningitis the doctors took 1 full week to diagnose in BMH port harcourt. she had all the symptoms stiff neck, sensitivity to light, blindness etc they did not know the cause and did not bother to open their medical text books.
In all she swelled up, brain and other organs swelled and failed. They killed my mom just like that o.
Nurses were called they said oh dont worry, the swelling will go down. when persin double im normal size they say its no cause for alarm. chie it still pains me till today. Now I am a complete orphan.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by blank(f): 3:02pm On Nov 03, 2011
I gave my baby a "quine" malaria medicine prescribed for him by the doctor. He kept screaming, biting everyone, pulling his hair and his ears. I was so scared. The doctor gave me piriton for him but he continued. I went to another hospital and they told me it was a bad reaction to the drug. in 4 hours, he was totally covered, from head to toe, in hives and had lighter and darker pigmentation.

I fought with that doctor that gave me d medicine. I would av killed him if the nurses had let me. All these quacks that will be parading foreign certificates.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by debosky(m): 12:45pm On Nov 14, 2011
blank:

I gave my baby a "quine" malaria medicine prescribed for him by the doctor. He kept screaming, biting everyone, pulling his hair and his ears. I was so scared. The doctor gave me piriton for him but he continued. I went to another hospital and they told me it was a bad reaction to the drug. in 4 hours, he was totally covered, from head to toe, in hives and had lighter and darker pigmentation.

I fought with that doctor that gave me d medicine. I would av killed him if the nurses had let me. All these quacks that will be parading foreign certificates.

Adverse drug reaction can happen to anyone. . . .it doesn't necessarily mean the doctors were quacks.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by blank(f): 1:06pm On Nov 14, 2011
@ Debosky, i know that anyone can have it. My issue was that i asked the doctor for something else cos i was no too comfortable with "quine" medicine. The guy made it seem like was out of bosoms and was being too fussy. He did not even test the boy for malaria b4 sending his quack nurses with the medicine.

Okay, i know i over reacted but it was so scary. That week was hellish.
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by debosky(m): 2:05pm On Nov 14, 2011
blank:

@ Debosky, i know that anyone can have it. My issue was that i asked the doctor for something else cos i was no too comfortable with "quine" medicine. The guy made it seem like was out of bosoms and was being too fussy. He did not even test the boy for malaria b4 sending his quack nurses with the medicine.

Okay, i know i over reacted but it was so scary. That week was hellish.

I can imagine how you felt. . . . a young baby in pain is not pleasant at all!
Re: Post Your Adverse Drug Reaction Experience by Daracimi: 12:05pm On Nov 16, 2014
My first experience of allergic reaction was about 2 years ago. To the best of my knowledge, that very day I was strong and healthy, except that a friend of mine bought two sachets of alabukun that he wanted to use which I advised him its an overdose, so he heeded to my advise and took one. I already had a bottle of bitter lemon Schweppes with me which I was taking just for refreshment. After awhile I decided to take the second alabukun (so it wont got wasted) with the bitter lemon I was taking which I did without no hesitation. In less than 10 minutes I began to feel a nasal obstruction in one of my nostrils and the other fairly blocked. Subsequently my eye began to increase in size and got swollen in up to 3 times the normal size. I was restless and had to rush to the nearest drugstore. The pharmacist asked me what I had noticed before this scenario began which i told him I was fine until I took alabukun so he gave me something to use, there was no need to ask what it was cos I felt I was dying already. Well my condition remain the same till the next day and got back to normal the third day. My second reaction to drug was of recent when I took ibuprofen and I still experienced what was more serious than the first one and now I have phobia for things that tends to go into my mouth cos I have noticed I react to energy drinks too. I dont really know what my allergy is. Before I used to think it was caffeine my body is reacting to but its not after several studies and test cos I take nescafe every morning and night and nothing happens. ADVISE IS NEEDED PLEASE!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NAFDAC Arraigns Chinese National Over Import Of Fake Diapers / Coronavirus: Osagie Enahire Commends Lagos State Government / Ogun Orunkun Didun (cure For Knee Pains Or Joint Pain)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.