Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,715 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? (3544 Views)

How Do You Tell Siblings To Give You Space Without Hurting Them Feelings / What Will You Do If Your Partner Is A Chronic Liar? / What To Do If Your Partner Is Avoiding You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by MizMyColi(f): 10:02pm On Jan 10, 2016

Good Evening Everyonesmiley

The new year offers us a moment in time to renew our commitments to ourselves, our relationships, and the larger world. Today, I take a look at the role of good communication in foster fulfilling intimate relationships, all year long. 

"How can I tell my man what I want? If I get even slightly turned on, he takes it as a sign that he can simply proceed straight to the gate for take-off. He’ll stimulate me for 30 seconds and get inside me. And in my mind I’m thinking: ‘I wish he would move a little gently, have his hands all over my body. Then I might ask him to kiss me in a certain spot, so I’ll give him a sort of hint of what would feel good.’ Sometimes he gets it, and he responds. But other times – he doesn’t seem to hear me."  - Amy, 43

If everyone communicates their needs openly, everyone gains.

Women are constantly told that they need to tell their partner what feels good to them sexually, to be proactive with their desire, to be more assertive and bold. For many people, this is easier said than done. It can feel safer to remain passive and take from our sexual encounters what we can get. Women often tell me that they really like to linger in the pleasures of the preliminaries, that they like them as much, if not more, than the act itself, yet they tend to accommodate their partner and abdicate their wants. They tend to go along with a more stereotypically male definition of sex, where pre-intimacy is the mere introduction to the ‘real’ thing.

However, it is precisely the anticipation, the seduction, the playful touch, the kissing, stroking, and gazing into each other’s eyes – all the stuff that fuels desire and excitement – that make them feel desired. It is those exquisite aspects of pre-intimacy that, for women, often make up the real thing.

Many of the women I work with in my practice worry that they take too long to climax in an orgasm, that their partner will be bored. Once he reaches orgasm, they give up theirs as if his rhythm defines hers. They fake their orgasms, they pretend. They tell me: ‘His ego is too fragile’. ‘I don’t think he can hear me’. ‘I don’t want to hurt him.’ Or: ‘I don’t want him to be angry and to reject me.’ Or even, sometimes, ‘I don’t know what I want, all I know is that I don’t want what I have.’ Men like to hear the guidance, but they can’t stand the criticism. It eats away at their sexual confidence. ‘No sooner do I touch her than she starts dictating to me what to do. I feel so tense following instructions. This tickles, this rubs. Here, she is too dry; there, she is too wet. Slower, faster, harder, softer, it doesn’t stop.’

Obviously, it’s tough on the partners too -- these sorts of requests can come across as instructions at a time when both people in the room are at their most vulnerable.

Talk about your preferences and desires before and after intimate moments, not only during them. 

For women and for men, when we feel sexually frustrated we are likely to be irritable, less patient, more aggressive and tactless. Instead of saying ‘I would like more stroking’, we say: ‘Why do you always go straight for my breasts?’ or ‘You never kiss me’ or the crowning put-down: ‘I never had this problem with my previous boyfriend.’ As a rule, sexual communication around what we want and how we want it is better discussed outside the bedroom, not while we are engaging with each other.

Utilize non-verbal communication.

I am a therapist, so I obviously value talking, but I also challenge the insistence of the verbal as the superior way to communicate. We speak with our bodies, with actions, with a gaze. The body, as a matter of fact, is our mother tongue; we express so much in the physical language long before we can utter one word. While I think that talking is important for couples, we are facing a situation where sharing is not a choice but a mandate. There is this perceived wisdom that if you don’t share or talk, you are not close. That is a false assumption and one that puts a lot of pressure on men in particular. There’s a lot to gain from showing your partner, non-verbally, what you like. Gently take his or her hand, guide it, move around so that you have got it where you like it. Books, magazines and videos might help you, too. And expressing appreciation for having your partner in your life is critical to helping him or her feel confident to take in all your needs, without seeing your complaint as a diminishment of his masculinity or femininity.

Both men and women fall in the trap of believing that if you need to discuss methods, it means there is not a good sexual connection. How about rethinking that? Doesn’t it make more sense that if you feel you can communicate your wants openly, that’s the ‘real’ sign of a good sexual vibe?

Do you successfully communicate your physical and emotional needs to your partner(s)? If not, what's holding you back? What tactics have been most successful to getting what you want?

http://www.estherperel.com/2016/01/how-can-you-tell-your-partner-what-you-want-in-bed/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by foxe(m): 10:04pm On Jan 10, 2016
inspiring ....will comment tomorrow adannaya

1 Like

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Cutehector(m): 10:07pm On Jan 10, 2016
What's hard there to tell ur man what u want in bed?

Jeez!

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Iamlordgee(m): 10:20pm On Jan 10, 2016
Just Wait O.. I da come make I read am finish
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by 2dice(m): 11:08pm On Jan 10, 2016
Most 9ja women think their Men will take them as a Hoe
#Not the one for digging Ground grin
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Dezzx(m): 11:26pm On Jan 10, 2016
cool
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by kilokeys(m): 3:10am On Jan 11, 2016
Mizmycoli long time..
https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/59385 listen to my single.. Did it for bae.

Ehen, back to the question...

I think the communication should be more when u rnt having sex.

It takes a good sense of humor to ask ur partner what just happend, what was good, what should be better, after u guys are done with the shagging.

When u start this kain gist @ op. Our finest philosopher

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by itstpia8: 4:09am On Jan 11, 2016
op are you married!

1 Like

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Haywhymido(m): 7:00am On Jan 11, 2016
Owk
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by MizMyColi(f): 7:30am On Jan 11, 2016
kilokeys:
Mizmycoli long time..
https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/59385 listen to my single.. Did it for bae.

Ehen, back to the question...

I think the communication should be more when u rnt having sex.

It takes a good sense of humor to ask ur partner what just happend, what was good, what should be better, after u guys are done with the shagging.

Great!
Just downloaded it.
I'll listen to it after I'm done with my meditative songs.

@Dis kyn Gist,
Well, it's a new year...
grin

1 Like

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by 2sex(m): 12:11am On Jan 12, 2016
2dice:
Most 9ja women think their Men will take them as a Hoe
#Not the one for digging Ground grin
It's not "think", it's a fact!
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by LegatusGlaber(m): 2:17am On Jan 12, 2016
angry
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Exponental(m): 7:14am On Jan 12, 2016
if you are not dumb, speak the language he understands to communicate what you want.
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Jackrich: 8:55am On Jan 12, 2016
Ok grin
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by PresVA: 8:57am On Jan 12, 2016
Husbands and wives do that easily. . So I see no biggie about it. ..

You'll only be scared to communicate if you're fornicating cos the confidence isn't there...

1 Like

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by MizMyColi(f): 9:21am On Jan 12, 2016
cheesy
LegatusGlaber:
angry

Good Morning
What's the matter?cheesy
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by MizMyColi(f): 9:23am On Jan 12, 2016
Jackrich:
Ok grin

Lol

Hey Dearsmiley
That's how I didn't see you again yesterday o tongue

@Topic, contribute suntin nagrin
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by MizMyColi(f): 9:24am On Jan 12, 2016
Exponental:
if you are not dumb, speak the language he understands to communicate what you want.

cheesy
Bros, na fight?
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Jackrich: 9:24am On Jan 12, 2016
MizMyColi:

Lol

Hey Dearsmiley
That's how I didn't see you again yesterday o tongue

@Topic, contribute suntin nagrin
Event took over me - sorry , I'll make it up by not contributing anything on this thread. grin tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by LegatusGlaber(m): 10:13am On Jan 12, 2016
MizMyColi:
cheesy
Good Morning What's the matter?cheesy
grin
Top of the morning to you dear, have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by EzePromoe: 1:13pm On Jan 12, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 12, 2016
Just here to read what the ladies will say.
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jan 12, 2016
For me it goes like this: We are either compatible or we are not. I don't like such conversations. Where is the fun in all of it?

I know what it is like when it is perfect and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am not willing to make an effort out of something that is supposed to be fun.

2 Likes

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 12, 2016
I don't think there should be any big deal telling your partner what and how you feel about your sexuality.
For Christ sake he is your confidant and someone you can easily shares your mind and emotions with.
Me think its high time women folks get rid of this hypocritical behavioral attitude of being shy when it comes to sexual matters. They are not interested in fore-play but fast forward to the middle of the main thing, they are the most active with different sorts of moans and groans!
Shame the shame itself, tell him this is what turns me on, this is what and how you must do it for me to enjoy the moment with you. Let me say this, Sex is no way clean, its always dirty so get dirty with your partner and let him know how to make you feel in that seventh cloud!
Ire o

1 Like

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by zainabicy: 7:42am On Jan 13, 2016
Dere r some kindof cultures crythat encourage this 'free talk'
In my side, if u r telling ur husband how u want it...ah, You be 'ashawo' b dat or u r spoilt

U r 2 just lie down on ur back and take it...like literally grin
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Dcholeric: 8:30am On Jan 13, 2016
zainabicy:
Dere r some kindof cultures crythat encourage this 'free talk'
In my side, if u r telling ur husband how u want it...ah, You be 'ashawo' b dat or u r spoilt

U r 2 just lie down on ur back and take it...like literally grin
that your side get how e be for sex matter o
how woman go just lie down collect whatever that is given?, me too as the man won't be pleased o.

well....

1 Like

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by Griffon(m): 4:43am On Jan 14, 2016
That communication can be carried out before the sex.

Being a couple connotes that you two must understand what eachother detests and savours. So in your spare time, endeavour to talk about virtually everything, sex inclusive.

Moreover, this is why its important to give courtship a shot before moving into marriage. It should be a period to understand what tickles the fantasy of your spouse.

2 Likes

Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by BreezyRita(f): 4:20pm On Jan 21, 2016
kilokeys:

Just what I wanted to ask her grin

Neways, like you said, it should be done. But not during the act; before and after.

I just can't imagine myself doing something I/ we haven't done before immediately he mentions it. Nah! I'll have to think it out. Decide whether or not to oblige.

BTW, Mizmycoli wassup? You disappeared here

We on a hiatus?
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by francizy(m): 4:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
MizMyColi:

Good Evening Everyonesmiley

The new year offers us a moment in time to renew our commitments to ourselves, our relationships, and the larger world. Today, I take a look at the role of good communication in foster fulfilling intimate relationships, all year long. 

"How can I tell my man what I want? If I get even slightly turned on, he takes it as a sign that he can simply proceed straight to the gate for take-off. He’ll stimulate me for 30 seconds and get inside me. And in my mind I’m thinking: ‘I wish he would move a little gently, have his hands all over my body. Then I might ask him to kiss me in a certain spot, so I’ll give him a sort of hint of what would feel good.’ Sometimes he gets it, and he responds. But other times – he doesn’t seem to hear me."  - Amy, 43

If everyone communicates their needs openly, everyone gains.

Women are constantly told that they need to tell their partner what feels good to them sexually, to be proactive with their desire, to be more assertive and bold. For many people, this is easier said than done. It can feel safer to remain passive and take from our sexual encounters what we can get. Women often tell me that they really like to linger in the pleasures of the preliminaries, that they like them as much, if not more, than the act itself, yet they tend to accommodate their partner and abdicate their wants. They tend to go along with a more stereotypically male definition of sex, where pre-intimacy is the mere introduction to the ‘real’ thing.

However, it is precisely the anticipation, the seduction, the playful touch, the kissing, stroking, and gazing into each other’s eyes – all the stuff that fuels desire and excitement – that make them feel desired. It is those exquisite aspects of pre-intimacy that, for women, often make up the real thing.

Many of the women I work with in my practice worry that they take too long to climax in an orgasm, that their partner will be bored. Once he reaches orgasm, they give up theirs as if his rhythm defines hers. They fake their orgasms, they pretend. They tell me: ‘His ego is too fragile’. ‘I don’t think he can hear me’. ‘I don’t want to hurt him.’ Or: ‘I don’t want him to be angry and to reject me.’ Or even, sometimes, ‘I don’t know what I want, all I know is that I don’t want what I have.’ Men like to hear the guidance, but they can’t stand the criticism. It eats away at their sexual confidence. ‘No sooner do I touch her than she starts dictating to me what to do. I feel so tense following instructions. This tickles, this rubs. Here, she is too dry; there, she is too wet. Slower, faster, harder, softer, it doesn’t stop.’

Obviously, it’s tough on the partners too -- these sorts of requests can come across as instructions at a time when both people in the room are at their most vulnerable.

Talk about your preferences and desires before and after intimate moments, not only during them. 

For women and for men, when we feel sexually frustrated we are likely to be irritable, less patient, more aggressive and tactless. Instead of saying ‘I would like more stroking’, we say: ‘Why do you always go straight for my breasts?’ or ‘You never kiss me’ or the crowning put-down: ‘I never had this problem with my previous boyfriend.’ As a rule, sexual communication around what we want and how we want it is better discussed outside the bedroom, not while we are engaging with each other.

Utilize non-verbal communication.

I am a therapist, so I obviously value talking, but I also challenge the insistence of the verbal as the superior way to communicate. We speak with our bodies, with actions, with a gaze. The body, as a matter of fact, is our mother tongue; we express so much in the physical language long before we can utter one word. While I think that talking is important for couples, we are facing a situation where sharing is not a choice but a mandate. There is this perceived wisdom that if you don’t share or talk, you are not close. That is a false assumption and one that puts a lot of pressure on men in particular. There’s a lot to gain from showing your partner, non-verbally, what you like. Gently take his or her hand, guide it, move around so that you have got it where you like it. Books, magazines and videos might help you, too. And expressing appreciation for having your partner in your life is critical to helping him or her feel confident to take in all your needs, without seeing your complaint as a diminishment of his masculinity or femininity.

Both men and women fall in the trap of believing that if you need to discuss methods, it means there is not a good sexual connection. How about rethinking that? Doesn’t it make more sense that if you feel you can communicate your wants openly, that’s the ‘real’ sign of a good sexual vibe?

Do you successfully communicate your physical and emotional needs to your partner(s)? If not, what's holding you back? What tactics have been most successful to getting what you want?

http://www.estherperel.com/2016/01/how-can-you-tell-your-partner-what-you-want-in-bed/

Kaboninc, your attention is needed here ASAP... smiley
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by RiloKiley: 4:45pm On Jan 21, 2016
Griffon:
That communication can be carried out before the sex.

Being a couple connotes that you two must understand what eachother detests and savours. So in your spare time, endeavour to talk about virtually everything, sex inclusive.

Moreover, this is why its important to give courtship a shot before moving into marriage. It should be a period to understand what tickles the fantasy of your spouse.

And how do you discuss this without engaging innpremarital sex? Or are you an advocate of such? And if yes does it mean the person has to go thru a lot of sexual partners before finding one that is compatible with him or her?
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by RiloKiley: 5:22pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sexual communication for married couples is not as easy as you might think. If it was there would be a massive reduction in cheating issues. A lot of people have the mindset that sex is 'dirty' or 'special' and should be 'spontaneous'. When their so called better half cannot meet up to standard in bed there is the tendency for the women to bear it or for the man to seek pleasure elsewhere (religion, side-chicks, prostitutes, alcohol). Discussing sex to ones partner in all is ramifications can be very awkward. A woman that likes to be touched in the butthole will feel more than mortified if she mentions it and her husband laughs at or rejects the idea. She has to face the embarrassment everytime she sees him. Same for a man that wants his woman to perform MouthAction on him and she screams that he is a demon. You can be sure such issues will most likely be used as arsenal in a few arguments.

All in all it all boils down to trust and respect and the type of person you married whether he/she is an introvert or extrovert.
Re: Sexual Communication: Easier Said Than Done - How Can You Tell Your Partner? by MizMyColi(f): 5:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin
francizy:

Kaboninc, your attention is needed here ASAP... smiley

RiloKiley:
Sexual communication for married couples is not as easy as you might think. If it was there would be a massive reduction in cheating issues. A lot of people have the mindset that sex is 'dirty' or 'special' and should be 'spontaneous'. When their so called better half cannot meet up to standard in bed there is the tendency for the women to bear it or for the man to seek pleasure elsewhere (religion, side-chicks, prostitutes, alcohol). Discussing sex to ones partner in all is ramifications can be very awkward. A woman that likes to be touched in the butthole will feel more than mortified if she mentions it and her husband laughs at or rejects the idea. She has to face the embarrassment everytime she sees him. Same for a man that wants his woman to perform MouthAction on him and she screams that he is a demon. You can be sure such issues will most likely be used as arsenal in a few arguments.
All in all it all boils down to trust and respect and the type of person you married whether he/she is an introvert or extrovert.

You're correct.
smiley
And that's why it's imperative to start early to begin building openness and trust in a relationship that'll last.

BreezyRita:

Just what I wanted to ask her grin
Neways, like you said, it should be done. But not during the act; before and after.
I just can't imagine myself doing something I/ we haven't done before immediately he mentions it. Nah! I'll have to think it out. Decide whether or not to oblige.
BTW, Mizmycoli wassup? You disappeared here
We on a hiatus?

Heyyy
Hii Dearieesmileysmileysmiley

Disappeared ke?
I've been around Darl.

I tend to talk these days, only when I really need towink
You take care of you, and be safekiss

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do Some Sistas Force Their Men Into Rituals For Money? / Are My Siblings Jealous? / My Dad Moved Away From Home Today. It's Wrong That I Didn't Stop Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.