Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,575 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

A Little Drizzle – TEMILADE LADEJOBI - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Little Drizzle – TEMILADE LADEJOBI (513 Views)

The DSF Story With A Little Twist. / Penastory: A Little Something For The Groom (18+) / Penastory: A Little Drizzle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Little Drizzle – TEMILADE LADEJOBI by RothmasPop: 11:35am On Jan 11, 2016
http://penastory.com/2016/01/11/a-little-drizzle-temilade-ladejobi/

This was the fifth day and the rain showed no signs of stopping. Baby had developed a cold from the chilly weather and the lack of heat. I watched as Papa adjusted the tarpaulin cover on the ceiling causing water that had gathered on it to spill on the already wet floor. Mama rubbed Robb on Baby’s chest and covered him up with her best church wrapper.

“Lord of Host! What kind of rain is this? Ehn?” She exclaimed loudly as she lay down to sleep beside Baby. I remember the first day the rain came. It started as a drizzle and we were sure it would soon pass so none of us prepared for heavy rain. Eventually the downpour increased and before we knew it, it was heavier than a drizzle. I remember running outside to join mama in removing our clothes from the line where they were spread to dry earlier that afternoon. Papa wasn’t at home when the rain started and he came home that day wet as if he had had a swim in the river with his clothes on. Now five days later, the rain showed no signs of stopping.
The next day, Mama was in the kitchen trying to fix something for lunch when we heard the screams. Papa took an umbrella and rushed out to see what the noise was about. He came back and informed mama that the river had overflown it’s banks. Water was covering the whole village. Quickly, Mama started scrambling to save the most important items she could lay her hands on. She and Paper kept transferring the suitcases and boxes on the floor to the bed and in her haste Mama dropped a heavy suitcase of clothes on Baby’s leg. Baby screamed out in pain and Papa quickly lifted off the suitcase from his leg while cautioning Mama to be more careful.

Mama paused to pet Baby and he was just beginning to abate the cries when I saw water seeping into the house from the door. I never got to raise the alarm as the torrents came rushing into the house through the cracks and every opening available. Mama screamed and I saw the look of dread on my parents’ faces even as Mama started crying and praying in our native dialect. Papa swiftly began his rescue attempt of blocking the water from entering any further. He used the excess rags in the kitchen to block the main path the water was entering from and even used the last tarpaulin we had to block the water. It worked! Papa sighed in relief and stretched his back. “Oh thank you Lord” Mama exclaimed amidst sobs and tears. Papa sat on the bed next to Mama who clutched Baby tightly to herself like she was afraid the water would suddenly come in and snatch him from her.

Later that evening, after we had succeeded in mopping off all the water from the room, Mama cooked rice and stew with boiled egg. Papa was not happy that he was being served egg instead of meat, his favourite but Mama reminded him that no one had stepped out of the house due to the rain and that she had exhausted the meat in the house. After the meal, Papa and I put all the suitcases and boxes that were on the bed back on to their right positions on the floor while Mama tried her hands at cleaning. Baby was not the only one that fell asleep as Mama sang lullabies and hours later Papa woke me up to prepare my bed on the floor and sleep. It took me a few moments to get my thoughts together and stand up from the bed. I hastily prepared my bed and as I laid down, I said my night prayers. I looked at the flickering lantern flame as I felt myself slowly drifting off to the sound of the rain still pouring.

That night, I had a dream. I dream’t I was in the river swimming. I was doing every trick I knew and I was doing it well when I suddenly felt myself getting heavy and unable to swim anymore. It felt like I had reached the bottom of the river and I started drowning. Immediately I woke up and everything was wet. I tried to stand and I realized my whole bed was soaked with water.

“Papa!” I screamed and he woke up immediately. He switched on the flashlight and woke Mama as well as he told me to get on the bed. As I climbed on the bed, papa opened the window And I saw that it was nearly dawn. Papa and Mama were talking about what they were going to do to try stop the waters when it was fully daylight when we heard the sound of water crashing our door down. The water came in heavy torrents and it didn’t swept everything in its path. Within a matter of seconds, it covered everything and the water level was rising to our 24-inches bed. Mama began to get hysterical while Papa told us we had to vacate the house. Mama carried Baby in her arms and looked at Papa from her position on the bed as he stepped into the water. The water got to Papa’s thighs. He held out his arm to support Mama who was clinging to Baby again. I joined them in the water and I was almost out of the door when I struck my foot on something. I shouted in pain and Papa shouted at me to be careful and watch my steps. Steps I can never retrace back to a house that was destroyed by the flood.

http://penastory.com/2016/01/11/a-little-drizzle-temilade-ladejobi/

(1) (Reply)

The Lost Song (ghoulish Vibes). / My Dream Woman / Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.