Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Eye – Service - Workplace Syndrome. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Eye – Service - Workplace Syndrome. (1648 Views)

4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / How To Easily Manipulate Your Way To The Top At Your Workplace:Johnspeak Uwangue / 4 Easy Ways To Become More Productive & Attract Favour In Your Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Eye – Service - Workplace Syndrome. by Michelle26(f): 2:15pm On Jan 11, 2016
Eye – Service - Workplace syndrome.[b][/b]
I cannot believe I am writing an article on this topic. Well it’s a norm in Nigeria as you all know and it needs to be addressed.
Definition of eye- service: The dictionary describes it as a noun and it is defined as “work or service done only when the employer is watching”.
The urban dictionary defines it as – “the act of using the eyes when a teacher, boss or parent is looking to cause the target to think you are working when actually you are thinking of nothiness.”
If I am correct we in Nigeria have our own definition and we describe it in various ways, I will give a few examples-
 When a person is forming busy when in actual sense he or she is not doing any work.
 Always trying to look good in the eyes of your boss or employer.
 Looking for favors with top management staffs.
 The I –TOO-KNOW syndrome when you actually don’t know anything.
 Turning yourself into a house boy or house girl in the office just because you want your boss to like you and give you good appraisal scores.[color=#990000][/color][i][/i]
A little analysis would be given as you read further. We are all employees of company A, in a particular department we are 12 who report to a supervisor.
We have one particular Mr B who Is forever ready to run to the boss to tell tales and epistles. Its so sad that in offices today you have a lot of people who just loaf around but once the boss is around they pretend to know what their job descriptions entails. Imagine having a group meeting with your boss and someone in the room just likes to hear his own voice, talking and making funny remarks , shutting every other persons opinion down but at the end when projects are given he cannot even complete a task and meet up with deadlines.
Once the boss is not around he is either watching a movie, surfing pictures on instagram or chatting away. Unserious people forming seriousness in the work environment.
Let us analyze the houseboy syndrome I mentioned earlier. An employee that is ready to even work overtime in your bosses’ house. Suggesting buying lunch for your boss, picking up his kids from school, cooking for your boss, buying presents etc. please don’t get me wrong about the last point I just mentioned. Yes you can buy presents for your boss i.e. Christmas presents, birthday presents that’s fine but when it becomes too much and I know you will say which one is when it becomes too much but some people over do it. Being nice to your boss is fine but get the job done, know what you are doing. Face your job description.
I’ll like to wrap this up by saying your work speaks for you, you need to be professional at all times in the workplace. Let’s avoid looking for favors everywhere, let’s say no to lobbying.
As for our employers please treat all workers fairly and equally, avoid favoritism. Grade workers based on the quality of their work and not by the amount of gifts you have received or how many favors the individual has done for you.
We need to make our employees feel valued based on their efficiency and contribution to company goals and not by sentiments.
TO BE CONTINUED.
Re: Eye – Service - Workplace Syndrome. by Elgaxton(m): 5:07am On Jan 02, 2019
Nice article! Good job

(1) (Reply)

. / Pls, Help A Geographer Secure A Job On The Aviation Industry In Nigeria. Thanks / Difference Between A Talent, A Potential, And An Attribute

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.