Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,169 members, 7,835,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

World’s First University Was Founded By A Muslim Woman!!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / World’s First University Was Founded By A Muslim Woman!!!! (828 Views)

Kogi Muslim Woman: "Jesus Appeared To Me 4 Times & Said He Will Save Me" / Christianity; The Religion Not Founded By Jesus / Muslim Woman In Kaduna Donates Bible To Pastor, Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World’s First University Was Founded By A Muslim Woman!!!! by yazach: 7:50pm On Jan 11, 2016
If you ask someone to name an inspirational person, dead or alive; they will probably name someone like Martin Luther King, Tariq Ramadan, or Neil Armstrong depending on their preference. There is no denying the fact that these men have indeed done amazing things; they are powerful people. But many people are not aware of the fact that, women are doing and have done amazing things too.
Source: My Hijab
It’s not our fault, we live in a patriarchal society. I just want to remind you of these names, and I want you to consider them in your list. Marie Curie, she was the first woman who was awarded the first noble prize in chemistry and physics. Maria Michell, an American was the first professional astronomer.
If we talk about contribution of great Muslim women the name of Fatima Al Fihri.
The daughter of a Merchant, was known as “The mother of boys” and “The Lady of Fez”. I am talking about Fatima Al Fihri. Who is the founder of the first university (academic university). Okay, lets take a step back.
Around 1215 years ago, a girl named Fatima was born in 800 CE in Tunisia. After a few years her family moved to Fez, which was an influential Muslim city back in the days. It was a city for people with ambition, and it was the perfect city or the Al Fihri family.
They were struggling with money, but the merchants hard work paid off; and he turned out to be a successful business man. Soon after Fatima’s brother and father passed away, she was left alone with her sister Mariam.
As they had a generous sum of money, they decided to invest in something that would be beneficial for the community. Her sister decided to build a mosque, which is known as the Al Andalus Mosque. And Fatima wanted to benefit the community on an educational level, so she founded the Al Qarrawiyyin University in 859.
Source: Archnet
This university was a huge achievement, and a great way to link the Muslim culture’s alliances with European culture. Muslims and non-Muslims both studied at the Al Qarawiyyin University.
It was a university built in the 9th century, and most of you would think it only tough Quran and Fiqah; but in reality it taught astrology, geology, chemistry, grammar, music, medicine, and mathematics.

The most inspirational and admirable things about Fatima is undoubtedly her vision. She decided to use her wealth in a way that would benefit the society in the long run. She passes away in 880 CE, but the Al Qarrawiyyin University is still existent; and is one of Morocco’s highly appreciated university.
Guinness book of world record recorded the Qarrawiyyan university as the most oldest in the world, which is still providing education to students. To honor Fatima’s great contribution, a program was developed with 20 universities of North Africa and Europe, to promote higher education. Woman like Fatima Al Fihri have inspired millions of people.

1 Like

Re: World’s First University Was Founded By A Muslim Woman!!!! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 11, 2016
Ehya!!!
Re: World’s First University Was Founded By A Muslim Woman!!!! by tswitch: 9:54pm On Jan 11, 2016
When I see topics like this I just shake my head and wonder.......

http://www.topuniversities.com/blog/10-oldest-universities-world

http://www.degreelibrary.org/30-of-the-oldest-universities-in-the-world/

http://www.degreelibrary.org/30-of-the-oldest-universities-in-the-world/

http://veda.wikidot.com/tip:world-first-university-takshila

Almost broke my keypad typing "Al Qarrawiyyin", it is okay to promote a religion but do not distort history.
Keep the whitewash for people of same belief who would not spend some kb to find out the truth.

1 Like

Re: World’s First University Was Founded By A Muslim Woman!!!! by kevoh(m): 10:50pm On Jan 11, 2016
^^ ^^Calm down! Despite all those links. Al Qarrawiyyan still trumps them as it was founded in 859 AD. The oldest University among your links was Al-Azhar University founded in 970 AD. I think you are the one who needs to spend some KB or MB in order not to distort history.

According to google, The oldest existing, and continually operating educational institution in the world is the University of Karueein, founded in 859 AD in Fez, Morocco. The University of Bologna, Italy, was founded in 1088 and is the oldest one in Europe.
Much emphasis on oldest existing and continually operating, as there are other school of thoughts which hold that Takshila in India (Bihar) is the first ever university founded about 700 BC but was destroyed by invaders.

I would say does it really matter which is the first or oldest?
Re: World’s First University Was Founded By A Muslim Woman!!!! by tswitch: 7:35pm On Jan 13, 2016
Why put up wrong information when "it doesn't matter which university is first" (the emphasis being your own words).

If you were anywhere near as smart as you were trying to appear you would realise that accurate history is as important as the difference between night and day......but you obviously dont know any better.

Two traits exhibited- gullibility (don't want to use the obvious term of fanatic) and a compulsive behaviour to justify the lies with your febble attempt to hoodwink your obvious betters.

By the way all those information you quoted are sourced from the links I posted above and you obviously have no privy to them prior to opening the link (as your post apparently shows) so take your lying self outta the thread!
Re: World’s First University Was Founded By A Muslim Woman!!!! by analice107: 11:10am On Jan 14, 2016
Yea, And see how well they have done over the years. "I had it", is not the same thing as "I have it" See how good they have developed in making bombs to kill the world. How many Nobel prices have they received since it's inception? Islam is SHIT.
Re: World’s First University Was Founded By A Muslim Woman!!!! by jcross19: 11:47am On Jan 14, 2016
Am still wondering about this achievement you are the first or that , the issue is your achievement like in english premier league, the first football club was Sheffield united organised by church members but in term of achievement they are nothing to show of . And since this islamic goons started the first university,ask them what are their contribution in modern world? What they will come up are lies upon lies that's their achievements that's all. All the machines, cars , sophisticated weapons, electricity and technology were invented by the infidels why?.

(1) (Reply)

Awise Awo Agbaye Wande Abimbola (must Watch) / Believing God For The Fruit Of The Womb??? Then Try This Programme / The Battle For Spirituality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.