Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules (809 Views)

Naira Gains As CBN Injects $210m Into FX Market / CBN Injects $280M Into FX Market, Increases Sale To Bdcs / CBN Pumps Fresh $80m To FX Market For School Fees, PTA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by Adesiji77: 8:52am On Jan 12, 2016
Financial analysts and bankers last night commended the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for lifting the ban on Foreign Exchange (FX) cash deposits and discontinuation of Foreign Exchange supplies to the Bureau De Change operators.

Some analysts said last night that the bold step is capable of restoring sanity to the market....

http://businessdayonline.com/2016/01/analysts-welcome-cbns-review-of-fx-market-rules/
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by Seun(m): 12:27pm On Jan 12, 2016
I think this is the smartest thing the CBN has done since the issue started. They've finally agreed that the laws of Economics apply to Nigeria.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by bizgenius1: 12:31pm On Jan 12, 2016
Very smart move i just hope they will also remove the useless restriction on the atm and allow people to collect western union in $ back
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by Bevista: 12:40pm On Jan 12, 2016
As regards the issue of accepting FX cash deposits to domicilary accounts, I think the CBN has done the right thing by reversing itself.
---
On the issue of stopping sales of FX to BDCs, I think the CBN has been constrained to take this position due to the continuous decline in oil prices (today $31) and the resultant decline in FX Reserves. This will, however, have serious implications on the exchange rate in the parallel market (expect N290 - N320 soon).
---
Sadly, this is not the fault of CBN, it is the result of the collective failure of our past leaders to diversify the economy and promote exports. The last administration left us with $30bn in Reserves (despite high oil prices). In comparison, Russia has FX Reserves of $450b+, Saudi Arabia has over $750bn, China has over $3tn.

1 Like

Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by kennyman2000(m): 12:43pm On Jan 12, 2016
Nice one..
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by DonBobes(m): 4:07pm On Jan 12, 2016
nice move!
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by ZUBY77(m): 4:38pm On Jan 12, 2016
Bevista:
As regards the issue of accepting FX cash deposits to domicilary accounts, I think the CBN has done the right thing by reversing itself.
---
On the issue of stopping sales of FX to BDCs, I think the CBN has been constrained to take this position due to the continuous decline in oil prices (today $31) and the resultant decline in FX Reserves. This will, however, have serious implications on the exchange rate in the parallel market (expect N290 - N320 soon).
---
Sadly, this is not the fault of CBN, it is the result of the collective failure of our past leaders to diversify the economy and promote exports. The last administration left us with $30bn in Reserves (despite high oil prices). In comparison, Russia has FX Reserves of $450b+, Saudi Arabia has over $750bn, China has over $3tn.

In Comparison, return to black Africa where you belong for now. You have neighbors in Ghana and Cameroon.
Stop comparing your black self with people who are way out of your reach.

How many trillions did the previuos administrations left before Jonathan?

I understand you will grasp Saudi Arabia and leave the other two in your quest to tell me they are not China and Russia.
There is the development and Population factors.
How many Saudi Arabians come to Nigeria to spend their foreign reserve yearly?
How many Nigerians go to Saudi Arabia and Israel to spend our foreign reserve yearly?
The number of Nigerians buying from outside are way too much compared to that of Saudi Arabia.
The population of Nigeria is 5 times higher than that of Saudi Arabia.
The production of oil by Nigeria is below that of Saudi Arabia.

When next you google up foreign reserve figures, find out why it has to be that way.
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by ALVA001: 4:46pm On Jan 12, 2016
Seun:
I think this is the smartest thing the CBN has done since the issue started. They've finally agreed that the laws of Economics apply to Nigeria.
hello goodday sir, pls is dia anyway i can access my e-mail via nairaland?
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by Bevista: 5:05pm On Jan 12, 2016
ZUBY77:
In Comparison, return to black Africa where you belong for now. You have neighbors in Ghana and Cameroon.
Stop comparing your black self with people who are way out of your reach.

How many trillions did the previuos administrations left before Jonathan?

I understand you will grasp Saudi Arabia and leave the other two in your quest to tell me they are not China and Russia.
There is the development and Population factors.
How many Saudi Arabians come to Nigeria to spend their foreign reserve yearly?
How many Nigerians go to Saudi Arabia and Israel to spend our foreign reserve yearly?
The number of Nigerians buying from outside are way too much compared to that of Saudi Arabia.
The population of Nigeria is 5 times higher than that of Saudi Arabia.
The production of oil by Nigeria is below that of Saudi Arabia.

When next you google up foreign reserve figures, find out why it has to be that way.

Apparently, you have a prejudiced notion about my objective for comparing the various economies.
---
In any case, for the benefit of other readers, my objective was simply to show how constrained the CBN is in continuing to support the BDCs due to our relatively low FX Reserves.
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by DaBullIT(m): 7:43pm On Jan 12, 2016
Let the importing begin

Yaaay
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by grandstar(m): 12:19am On Jan 13, 2016
Adesiji77:
Financial analysts and bankers last night commended the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for lifting the ban on Foreign Exchange (FX) cash deposits and discontinuation of Foreign Exchange supplies to the Bureau De Change operators.

Some analysts said last night that the bold step is capable of restoring sanity to the market....

http://businessdayonline.com/2016/01/analysts-welcome-cbns-review-of-fx-market-rules/
Only a devaluation will restore sanity
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by grandstar(m): 12:22am On Jan 13, 2016
Bevista:
---
---
The answer is a devaluation. Even Russia with thee huge figures yiu gave devalued its currency. Is GEJ supposed to come out of retirement and devalue for them?
Re: Analysts Welcome Cbn’s Review Of FX Market Rules by grandstar(m): 12:24am On Jan 13, 2016
Bevista:
Apparently, you have a prejudiced notion about my objective for comparing the various economies.
---
In any case, for the benefit of other readers, my objective was simply to show how constrained the CBN is in continuing to support the BDCs due to our relatively low FX Reserves.
There is no constraint! Devalue the currency!

(1) (Reply)

Simple Reason Why The Naira Depreciates Against The Dollar / Best Way To Move Fund / Why Agriculture Is Not The Solution To Job Creation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.