Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones (5403 Views)

Snapdragon vs Mediatek vs Intel -Processor Importance When Buying a Smartphone / Mediatek MT6750T Vs Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 MSM8996 [snapshots] / How To Mannually Install Mediatek VCOM Drivers On Your Windows PC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 12, 2016
Well, Inorder to find out which chipset is better among the three chipsets, first of all we need to know how these chipsets are different from each other.
Now, let me explain them in detail
1.) Mediatek:
It is a chinese company. It uses more cores in it's processors(like octa core,hexa core,deca core).
Battery Life:
The mediatek chipsets are known to be more power draining and results in less battery life.Now they are optimizing their processors to be more power efficient but still lags behind their competetion in terms of battery life.
Performance:
Performance wise their processors are very good.Due the availability of extra cores,mediatek processors can handle intensive and heavy tasks and they are very good at multi-tasking.But we can see all this practically if we have sufficient Ram.Yes more cores demand more Ram to give best performance.
Heating Problem
Now coming to the heating problem. All the processors deliver heat while performing tasks. Mediatek processors deliver more heat(more cores=more heat) than the others.
Graphics:
Coming to graphics,Mediatek employs Mali graphics which is a third party graphics vendor(So graphics architectue is different from cpu and its performance may not match with cpu). It is really important to match the performances of cpu and gpu(graphics) so that the whole chipset performs efficiently and effectively.
2.)Snapdragon:
Snapdragon chipsets are manufactured by Qualcomm (American) company.
Snapdragon chipsets are not only just CPU's they incorporate other many processors in their chipsets.This is the main difference between Snapdragon and other chipsets.
Snapdragon chipsets are named as SoC's(System on chip) which means their chipsets(SoC's) have a CPU,GPU(Adreno Graphics),Image processor,Media processor,DSP(Digital Signal Processor),Cellular Modem unit,Wifi Modue,Radio Module,GPS Module,...etc. All these modules and Processors are inside of a snapdragon chip.Yes they incorporated all these things inside their chips.Hence their chips are costly.
Battery Life:
Snapdragon chipsets are best in terms of power efficiency compared to all other chipsets.
Performance:
Performance wise they perform really well. In multi-tasking,gaming,handling heavy and intensive tasks they are very good.
Heating Problem:
Snapdragon Processors generally deliver less heat compared to Mediatek and Intel Atom(Except the Snapdragon 810 Chipset-that faced many heating issues.)
Graphics:
Coming to graphics, they manufacture their own graphics called Adreno Graphics and incorporate into their chips. So here the performance of cpu and gpu are matched.
3.)Intel Atom:
Every one is familiar with Intel processors because they are dominant in the PC market. Intel Atom processors are the initiative taken by the company to enter into mobile segment.Intel processors are best in PC's but when it comes to mobile they have faced one problem...!
Battery Life:
Yes, the problem they faced is Battery life. Intel company has experience in manufactuting processors for PC's which consume power in watts(say 40 watts and above) but when it comes to mobile platform where the processors should run on power less than 5 watts, they had a problem in optimizing their processors to work on low power.
Don't worry that is all in the initial stage when they entered into mobile market. But recently in Q3 of 2015 they have announced their Mobile processors called core M-processors for mobile platform like tablets and smartphones. These processors are very power efficient and they consume power of 5 watts and below.But we may only see them in Smartphones or Tablets in 2016.
Performance:
Performance wise, i think i don't need to tell you how Intel Processors do. They are very good both at PC's and on Mobile.
Heating Problem:
Intel Atom Processors also deliver more heat when running heavy and CPU intensive tasks or while using for long duration.Let us see how their core M-Processors perform.
Graphics:
Intel, till now used third party graphic vendors like Power VGR and Mali graphics in their CPU's. Intel also have their own graphics called Intel Iris Graphics which they introduced in their 4th generation core i-series processors for PC's. I am not sure but i have read somewhere that core M-Processors have Intel Graphics built in. Let us see them in 2016.
After briefing all these things, Now tell me which chipset is better..?
My answer: Till now, Snapdragon is the clear winner here. I have practically used Smartphones which have all these three processors and telling you my answer.

https://www.quora.com/Which-chip-set-is-better-MediaTek-Intel-Atom-or-Snapdragon

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Segadem(m): 4:27pm On Jan 12, 2016
op, thanks
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by gabylzy(m): 5:08pm On Jan 12, 2016
bro yu sure yu research this tin well...i used one s4 that tym if e hot ehnnnn...i go press jean trouser nd getos go comot fian....instanta

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Goahead(m): 6:01pm On Jan 12, 2016
Inconclusive without Exynos chipset. cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by AwesomeRomeo: 7:44pm On Jan 12, 2016
OP you might have give some examples of devices that are using each chipset na cheesy
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Obaiyski(m): 8:10pm On Jan 12, 2016
Op this ur list is Incomplete.. Where is KIRIN chipset from Huawei, even Exynos no dey ur list... Oya assignment, complete this ur list

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Einsthawkton(m): 10:45pm On Jan 12, 2016
YEA, I OWN A WIKO RAINBOW JAM IT RUNS ON SNAPDRAGON PROCESSORS. ITS SUPERB, FAST, LESS HEAT WHILE RUNNING HEAVY APPS like charging and browsing or charging and gaming The ba3life is wonderful, it has fast charge technology, even having a 2000mah capacity a full charge would last for an hour or less and would take up to 24hrs to drain up,that's if you're a heavy phone user

Snap dragon rocks
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by nerdfrost(m): 11:14pm On Jan 12, 2016
Ur post was superb n straight to the point grin. Snapdragon it is for me then
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by martineverest(m): 12:36am On Jan 13, 2016
No need for long explanation.. Snapdragon , mediatek,Kirin,exynos,apple A-processor, NVIDIA tegra and Rockwell chips are all RISC(ARM based) processors. They are of low wattage,i.e. less power for task, and consume less power.hence the batteries last for longer time. While Intel and AMD are the CISC processors, also called 'X86' base processor. They are of high power and consumer more energy. Thus, battery last for a short time... This is why your iPhones and Android phones can never match the power of a computer.

A Pentium II powered device with low frequency is far more useful than snapdragon 820, which is 10x faster and more powerful than the Pentium processor.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by martineverest(m): 12:38am On Jan 13, 2016
Lalasticlala
Seun. Food is ready
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by HyDef(m): 1:24am On Jan 13, 2016
The competition in the processor market is healthy. The Helio X10 was a competitive release from Mediatek, and the X20 is highly anticipated as the first decacore. Same with SD 820 and whatever that new Kirin is called. 950? Intel is coming up as well, but still have some way to go. Exynos isn't so widely in use from anything part from Samsung, but they sure are powerful.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Nobody: 3:17am On Jan 13, 2016
Einsthawkton:
YEA, I OWN A WIKO RAINBOW JAM IT RUNS ON SNAPDRAGON PROCESSORS. ITS SUPERB, FAST, LESS HEAT WHILE RUNNING HEAVY APPS like charging and browsing or charging and gaming The ba3life is wonderful, it has fast charge technology, even having a 2000mah capacity a full charge would last for an hour or less and would take up to 24hrs to drain up,that's if you're a heavy phone user

Snap dragon rocks

I do not see how an android phone with 2,000mah battery can last 24 hrs with heavy usage. Haba... Shey the screen na 2 inch screen be the phone? Abi na monochrome phone.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Youngpo413: 3:34am On Jan 13, 2016
Nice one
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Einsthawkton(m): 9:53am On Jan 13, 2016
greenhulk:

I do not see how an android phone with 2,000mah battery can last 24 hrs with heavy usage. Haba...Shey the screen na 2 inch screen be the phone? Abi na monochrome phone.

LOL.. ITS A 5.0 INCH SCREEN.. RUNS ON ANDROID 5.1
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by omoikea(m): 12:11pm On Jan 13, 2016
very informative...
am sure most people don't even know what's processors
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 13, 2016
Einsthawkton:

Then it is impossible for the battery to last 24hrs under heavy usage.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Xhaka(m): 2:32pm On Jan 13, 2016
Einsthawkton:

And lasts for how long?
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 13, 2016
Xhaka:

And lasts for how long?

He claims it lasts 24 hrs with heavy usage sad sad angry
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Xhaka(m): 2:55pm On Jan 13, 2016
greenhulk:

He claims it lasts 24 hrs with heavy usage sad sad angry
Lmao!!!! grin
Even the likes of L5 and Gionee M3 don't last for 15hrs on heavy usage
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Dreyl(m): 2:57pm On Jan 13, 2016
Good
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 13, 2016
Xhaka:

Lmao!!!! grin
Even the likes of L5 and Gionee M3 don't last for 15hrs on heavy usage

u dey mind the guy. Phones with 5,000mah will struggle to last 18 hrs under heavy usage not to talk of a phone with 2,000mah
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Einsthawkton(m): 5:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
Xhaka:

And lasts for how long?
I had a full charge (trickle) in the morning.. See what I got left

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jan 13, 2016
Einsthawkton:

If indeed ur phone has 2,000mah battery, and u still have 74% battery left by 5pm after charging in the morning, then u probably don't know what 'heavy usage' means. Trust me if i handle that phone the battery will be at 10% by 2pm.
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Einsthawkton(m): 6:13pm On Jan 13, 2016
greenhulk:

If indeed ur phone has 2,000mah battery, and u still have 74% battery left by 5pm after charging in the morning, then u probably don't know what 'heavy usage' means. Trust me if i handle that phone the battery will be at 10% by 2pm.
Maybe you should check one out
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jan 13, 2016
Einsthawkton:
Maybe you should check one out

Na, I'll pass.
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Einsthawkton(m): 6:22pm On Jan 13, 2016
greenhulk:

Na, I'll pass.

Ogbasaragi dia grin
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 13, 2016
Einsthawkton:

Ogbasaragi dia grin

Nwanne, e ne we iwe?
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Einsthawkton(m): 6:27pm On Jan 13, 2016
greenhulk:

Nwanne, e ne we iwe?
maka gini kwanu
Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by MrBONE2(m): 7:09pm On Jan 13, 2016
greenhulk:

You are right.

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Xhaka(m): 7:51pm On Jan 13, 2016
Einsthawkton:
I could tell you the same thing about a phone i just finish charging
A 2000mAh battery can't last for 24hrs on heavy usage undecided

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Mediatek, Intel Atom and Snapdragon Phones by Einsthawkton(m): 8:13pm On Jan 13, 2016
Xhaka:

I could tell you the same thing about a phone i just finish charging
A 2000mAh battery can't last for 24hrs on heavy usage undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Factory Reset Itel It5010 / Gionee A1: Price, Specs, Release Date And Rumours / Gbwhatsapp New Version Has Anti-ban Feature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.