Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria (21381 Views)

5 Things To Consider Before Investing Fund In A Business / 7 Things To Do Before Investing In Properties / 4 Questions To Ask Before Investing In Real Estate In 2016. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by femliany(m): 3:31pm On Jan 13, 2016
You must belong to a ruling party or have one Oga at the top before you can have huge bizness in Nija.

I don't like where you mentioned cheap labour is not good.If you are cheap I am not...

1 Like

Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by emonkey(m): 3:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
olisasegun:
Hello friends,

Have you ever asked yourself these questions?
What are the best small scale business ideas in Nigeria? What is the best business to start in a harsh environment like Nigeria? What are the best small business opportunities for Nigerians (Investment Opportunities) living in Diaspora or oversea?
Think about it!

Are you an entrepreneur or investor looking for where to invest your money with good returns? Do you want to invest in Nigeria but you don’t know where to invest your money?? Do you want to know where to find fast growing business ideas in Nigeria? Then I advice you read on because this article was written specially for you.

For quite sometime now, my email box has been filled with request from fellow Nigerian entrepreneurs asking for the fastest growing business opportunities in Nigeria which they can invest in. Before I proceed with any detailed explanation, I want to state clearly that there are untapped small scale business opportunities in every industry both in Nigeria and all over the world; you just need to dig deeper to find such niches.

Now from my personal experience and interaction with Nigerians both home and abroad, I came to observe that many people are interested in investing in Nigeria by setting up their own companies but fear seems to hold them back. I have met individuals who have been living and working abroad for over ten years; they have made a lot of money over there.

But rather than come back to Nigeria and start a business, taking advantage of the currency exchange difference between the Naira and Dollar, Euro or Pounds; they would rather stay abroad because they are afraid of the uncertainty of doing business in Nigeria.

Over the years of doing business, I have met a lot of Nigerians and some foreigners with a lot of cash; but they just don’t know where to invest their money. Some even tried to invest in the stock market and they lost their money, not because the stock market is bad but because they lack the needed experience and knowledge to invest in the stock market. Well, I still invest in the stock market regardless of its ups and downs; because I have the needed technical know-how.

Well, if you are one of such individuals that is scared of coming back to Nigeria to establish a company, the points below will help quell that fear.

6 Reasons Why You Should Start a Business in Nigeria Today;

1. Now Nigeria still remains a hub for most entrepreneurs and investors despite economic challenges. In fact, Nigeria is now the largest economy in Africa, the number one destination for Foreign Direct Investment in Africa and one of the fastest growing economies in the world. That’s why South African and Chinese companies are scrambling to invest in Nigeria.

Tiger brand acquired Aliko Dangote’s stake in Dangote Flour. MTN South Africa mopped up shares of MTN Nigeria and Wal-Mart has moved heavily into Nigeria through its subsidiary, Shop Rite. GlaxoSmithKline U.K has increased its stake in GlaxoSmithKline Nigeria PLC. General Electric is partnering with power generation companies in Nigeria to boost the nation’s power supply. Chinese companies are partnering with Nigerian companies to setup manufacturing plants right here in Nigeria. An example of such plant is Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing company in Nnewi. Nissan has also established an auto manufacturing plant in Nigeria.

The list goes on and on but the point I want to stress is that this is the right time to invest in Nigeria. Please if you are in doubt of any of the information listed above, Google it. Just do a search.

2. There are over 150 million people resident in Nigeria and the population in Nigeria is been predicted to overtake that of United States by 2050. Now what this means in essence is that the market is big enough to absorb any product, provided enough marketing and awareness is created. Another positive impact of this population statistics is that there is cheap labour. One of the reasons China grew to become an industrial hub is because of her large population, which in turn brought down the cost of labour.

3. Nigeria is fast developing and there is a huge need for innovative products. If you are resident in Nigeria, kindly reflect on the position of Nigeria ten years back and compare it with her present state; you will agree with me that there is a huge change.
Economically, technologically, etc.; Nigeria is growing, whether you admit it or not won’t change the fact. That is why entrepreneurs and institutional investors from countries like South Africa, China, Lebanon, Brazil, India, etc are scrambling to invest in Nigeria because they see the potential that we citizens don’t see.

4. Nigeria is currently riddled with problems and the government is currently battling to tackle these problems. I am talking about challenges such as falling oil prices, security, infrastructural decay, unemployment, power failure, corruption, fall in education standard, accommodation, etc. The average minds believe these problems can never be resolved and if it is to be resolved, it should be done by the government.
However, people with entrepreneurial mindset know that these problems are opportunities; and only those who act will turn these opportunities into profitable businesses.

5. The government is working to improve the economic condition of the country, by implementing several policies aimed at encouraging local content production and small scale enterprises. If you are well positioned to take advantages of such opportunities, you will make something from it.

6. The eye of most entrepreneurs and investors doing business in Nigeria is usually on Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. However, tremendous opportunities are laying waste in other states cities such as Owerri, Aba, Onitsha, Nnewi, Kano, Akwa Ibom, Ogun, Ibadan, Enugu, etc.
Now to be honest with you, I don’t take heed to what the World bank and IMF statistics say about Nigeria. I am equally not moved by the politically inclined propaganda promoted on the media about Nigeria. I am an entrepreneur on ground, and I have personally assessed the situation on ground and charted out ways to harness it.

I would rather work with my own hard facts and proposed solutions than work with the media statistics. I think I have said enough. So without wasting your time, below are some small scale business ideas and opportunities in Nigeria you can invest in today.

Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing in Nigeria

Now for those who are eager to start a business or invest in Nigeria, there are a few criteria you must meet; so as to ensure you are well positioned for success.

1. You must be prepared to be on ground in Nigeria

Yes, I have had so many people call me to talk to me about the possibilities of starting a business in Nigeria while running it from overseas. Now the honest truth is that you can successfully operate a business in Nigeria without being physically present; but not in the start-up phase of the business.

You just don’t start a new business, turn it over to someone and travel out of the country; hoping that the person you handed your business over to will do a good job. This is one of the mistakes most Nigerians in Diaspora make.
If you are really serious about establishing a business in Nigeria, then you must be willing to be on ground to run the business for at least one year. Secondly, forget about doing business with your family members or close friends; it usually doesn't end well. Rather, I will advice you seek professional help, incorporate your company and make sure your back is covered legally.

2. You must have knowledge of the business

To succeed as an entrepreneur in Nigeria, you must have skill and competence. Competence is a product of knowledge mixed with experience while skill is something you can develop over time through training. Please don’t start a business blindly simply because a family member or friend recommended such a business, the result of such a venture is usually devastating. Invest time first to learn everything you can about a business before you invest your money.

3. You must have a short or long term plan to employ people

To keep cost low, you may choose to start as a self employed entrepreneur operating from home, a shop or an office. There is nothing wrong with starting out this way, after all; I started out as a self employed entrepreneur working from home. But as you grow in business, you will need to bring in competent hands. However, you shouldn't wait till then before you plan towards it, start now.

4. You must have capital

There is no much explanation to do here. To successfully set-up a business in Nigeria, you must have capital. This is needed to get things done. Now when I say capital, I want to emphasize that it doesn't have to be a million dollars. You can start with the little you have even if it is just enough money to get a laptop and an internet connection.

5. You must make sure your proposed business has an evergreen demand

Another mistake you must avoid is starting a business whose trend is dying. Take for instance a cyber café business, this business is dying because the trend is shifting towards mobile connectivity. Why go to a cyber café to access the internet when you can do it more cheaply at home?

6. You must always remember that success is not an overnight flight

Yea, this one is especially for those who are looking for a business to start that will provide a steady cash flow or a return of 30% – 50% in approximately one year. The truth is that it doesn't work that way. Success can never be achieved or attained by sudden flight; it is a product of consistent, unyielding effort. So stop looking for the best business to start, instead; look for the best business you are willing to stick to regardless of the surrounding circumstances.

For Your Success

Written and submitted by Sunday I. E.

Source; http://olisasegun..com.ng/2016/01/six-criteria-you-must-meet-before.html
[size=18pt]
7. You must be prepared to lose all your money and become bankrupt.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by ooshinibos: 4:15pm On Jan 13, 2016
olisasegun:
Hello friends,

What are the best small scale business ideas in Nigeria? What is the best business to start in a harsh environment like Nigeria? What are the best small business opportunities for Nigerians (Investment Opportunities) living in Diaspora or oversea?
Think about it!

Are you an entrepreneur or investor looking for where to invest your money with good returns? Do you want to invest in Nigeria but you don’t know where to invest your money?? Do you want to know where to find fast growing business ideas in Nigeria? Then I advice you read on because this article was written specially for you.

For quite sometime now, my email box has been filled with request from fellow Nigerian entrepreneurs asking for the fastest growing business opportunities in Nigeria which they can invest in. Before I proceed with any detailed explanation, I want to state clearly that there are untapped small scale business opportunities in every industry both in Nigeria and all over the world; you just need to dig deeper to find such niches.

Now from my personal experience and interaction with Nigerians both home and abroad, I came to observe that many people are interested in investing in Nigeria by setting up their own companies but fear seems to hold them back. I have met individuals who have been living and working abroad for over ten years; they have made a lot of money over there.

But rather than come back to Nigeria and start a business, taking advantage of the currency exchange difference between the Naira and Dollar, Euro or Pounds; they would rather stay abroad because they are afraid of the uncertainty of doing business in Nigeria.

Over the years of doing business, I have met a lot of Nigerians and some foreigners with a lot of cash; but they just don’t know where to invest their money. Some even tried to invest in the stock market and they lost their money, not because the stock market is bad but because they lack the needed experience and knowledge to invest in the stock market. Well, I still invest in the stock market regardless of its ups and downs; because I have the needed technical know-how.

Well, if you are one of such individuals that is scared of coming back to Nigeria to establish a company, the points below will help quell that fear.

1. Now Nigeria still remains a hub for most entrepreneurs and investors despite economic challenges. In fact, Nigeria is now the largest economy in Africa, the number one destination for Foreign Direct Investment in Africa and one of the fastest growing economies in the world. That’s why South African and Chinese companies are scrambling to invest in Nigeria.

Tiger brand acquired Aliko Dangote’s stake in Dangote Flour. MTN South Africa mopped up shares of MTN Nigeria and Wal-Mart has moved heavily into Nigeria through its subsidiary, Shop Rite. GlaxoSmithKline U.K has increased its stake in GlaxoSmithKline Nigeria PLC. General Electric is partnering with power generation companies in Nigeria to boost the nation’s power supply. Chinese companies are partnering with Nigerian companies to setup manufacturing plants right here in Nigeria. An example of such plant is Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing company in Nnewi. Nissan has also established an auto manufacturing plant in Nigeria.

The list goes on and on but the point I want to stress is that this is the right time to invest in Nigeria. Please if you are in doubt of any of the information listed above, Google it. Just do a search.

2. There are over 150 million people resident in Nigeria and the population in Nigeria is been predicted to overtake that of United States by 2050. Now what this means in essence is that the market is big enough to absorb any product, provided enough marketing and awareness is created. Another positive impact of this population statistics is that there is cheap labour. One of the reasons China grew to become an industrial hub is because of her large population, which in turn brought down the cost of labour.

3. Nigeria is fast developing and there is a huge need for innovative products. If you are resident in Nigeria, kindly reflect on the position of Nigeria ten years back and compare it with her present state; you will agree with me that there is a huge change.
Economically, technologically, etc.; Nigeria is growing, whether you admit it or not won’t change the fact. That is why entrepreneurs and institutional investors from countries like South Africa, China, Lebanon, Brazil, India, etc are scrambling to invest in Nigeria because they see the potential that we citizens don’t see.

4. Nigeria is currently riddled with problems and the government is currently battling to tackle these problems. I am talking about challenges such as falling oil prices, security, infrastructural decay, unemployment, power failure, corruption, fall in education standard, accommodation, etc. The average minds believe these problems can never be resolved and if it is to be resolved, it should be done by the government.
However, people with entrepreneurial mindset know that these problems are opportunities; and only those who act will turn these opportunities into profitable businesses.

5. The government is working to improve the economic condition of the country, by implementing several policies aimed at encouraging local content production and small scale enterprises. If you are well positioned to take advantages of such opportunities, you will make something from it.

6. The eye of most entrepreneurs and investors doing business in Nigeria is usually on Lagos, Abuja, and Port Harcourt. However, tremendous opportunities are laying waste in other states cities such as Owerri, Aba, Onitsha, Nnewi, Kano, Akwa Ibom, Ogun, Ibadan, Enugu, etc.
Now to be honest with you, I don’t take heed to what the World bank and IMF statistics say about Nigeria. I am equally not moved by the politically inclined propaganda promoted on the media about Nigeria. I am an entrepreneur on ground, and I have personally assessed the situation on ground and charted out ways to harness it.

I would rather work with my own hard facts and proposed solutions than work with the media statistics. I think I have said enough. So without wasting your time, below are some small scale business ideas and opportunities in Nigeria you can invest in today.

Now for those who are eager to start a business or invest in Nigeria, there are a few criteria you must meet; so as to ensure you are well positioned for success.

Yes, I have had so many people call me to talk to me about the possibilities of starting a business in Nigeria while running it from overseas. Now the honest truth is that you can successfully operate a business in Nigeria without being physically present; but not in the start-up phase of the business.

You just don’t start a new business, turn it over to someone and travel out of the country; hoping that the person you handed your business over to will do a good job. This is one of the mistakes most Nigerians in Diaspora make.
If you are really serious about establishing a business in Nigeria, then you must be willing to be on ground to run the business for at least one year. Secondly, forget about doing business with your family members or close friends; it usually doesn't end well. Rather, I will advice you seek professional help, incorporate your company and make sure your back is covered legally.

To succeed as an entrepreneur in Nigeria, you must have skill and competence. Competence is a product of knowledge mixed with experience while skill is something you can develop over time through training. Please don’t start a business blindly simply because a family member or friend recommended such a business, the result of such a venture is usually devastating. Invest time first to learn everything you can about a business before you invest your money.

To keep cost low, you may choose to start as a self employed entrepreneur operating from home, a shop or an office. There is nothing wrong with starting out this way, after all; I started out as a self employed entrepreneur working from home. But as you grow in business, you will need to bring in competent hands. However, you shouldn't wait till then before you plan towards it, start now.

4. You must have capital

There is no much explanation to do here. To successfully set-up a business in Nigeria, you must have capital. This is needed to get things done. Now when I say capital, I want to emphasize that it doesn't have to be a million dollars. You can start with the little you have even if it is just enough money to get a laptop and an internet connection.

Another mistake you must avoid is starting a business whose trend is dying. Take for instance a cyber café business, this business is dying because the trend is shifting towards mobile connectivity. Why go to a cyber café to access the internet when you can do it more cheaply at home?

Yea, this one is especially for those who are looking for a business to start that will provide a steady cash flow or a return of 30% – 50% in approximately one year. The truth is that it doesn't work that way. Success can never be achieved or attained by sudden flight; it is a product of consistent, unyielding effort. So stop looking for the best business to start, instead; look for the best business you are willing to stick to regardless of the surrounding circumstances.

For Your Success

Source; http://olisasegun..com.ng/2016/01/six-criteria-you-must-meet-before.html

I am in diaspora , do you have any advise for us on what we should invest in ? ..remember we are not on ground so its difficult to monitor business on a daily basis
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 13, 2016
Addicted2Women:
The only investment i will make in Nigeria is boarding a flight from USA to Nigeria every month to change my hard earned dollar into naira at the black market and stash it into my Nigerian bank accounts.

$1 is now 300 naira.
So, my dream of buying a house in banana island is gonna come through.
I hope $1 gets to 500 naira

Thank you lord.

You can save money on the flights, you know except you got money to blow
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by MrMcJay(m): 4:26pm On Jan 13, 2016
ooshinibos:

I am in diaspora , do you have any advise for us on what we should invest in ? ..remember we are not on ground so its difficult to monitor business on a daily basis

Build rental apartments in any of the estates along the Lekki-Epe expressway corridor. You get a lawyer to manage it for you and u come periodically to inspect and collect rent.

However, during the time you buy the land and build on it, you need to be around.
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 13, 2016
I absolutely agree with all what Op listed. But I will be very honest with fellow Nigerians in Diaspora, Invest only in Real Estates for now till you are ready to go back to Naija to run the show yourself. Dont gamble with your hard earned money by thinking you can run a biz in Naija remotely successfully.

3strikes!!!

2 Likes

Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by hilltop93(m): 4:53pm On Jan 13, 2016
Investment for naija sef!
Am a student final year, in 2014 I bought Audi to use a taxi in Abj bt it nearly gave me High Blood pressure. 2015 I saved 100k+ bought fearly used Kekenapepe by octber and till date av nt gotten a kobo from dat Keke. I wanted to collect it and sale during Xmas bt we traveled and hadn't time and enof excuse to leave fam/home forr such trip bt I plan to do dat by February aftr my 1st semester exams.
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by millhouse: 4:54pm On Jan 13, 2016
Hy
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by kolokolobi(m): 5:04pm On Jan 13, 2016
I had posted something related to this on answer to a question by a nairalander. It's here below and hope it helps on this topic.
Firms make foreign direct investment decisions based on certain factors. These could be firm specific factors ranging from revenue drive, following a competitor to a new market in another country, the strain of the liability of foreigness which includes distance language culture and country specific advantages, identification of a viable and vibrant market in terms of size and economy of the target demographics.
There are certain factors that make a country attractive to FDI. These include legal issues, investment laws that bother on allowed ownership structures, tax holidays if any, are it's laws similar in style from country of origin of the FDI etc. Security is another consideration. Infrastructure.... Power roads transport Internet ports banking etc. Then institutions...... Police judiciary arbitration panels customs immigration etc... Are they operating at best practice levels. Furthermore the foreign exchange regime.... Can I get my profit out without stress. Another consideration is polilitical... Is it a democracy? Is there a possibility that the government and governance is unstable and so will translate to unstable policies.
All the issues raised above are major considerations for FDI and no one wants to take their funds to invest in a country where the outlook for these factors are either vague or unhealthy. As I type this Nigeria does not look good. There's a competition out there for this FDI and countries that know the implications are doing all that they can to put these issues which form country specific advantages in the right position. Any one of these not put in place is a risk and nobody likes taking risks or at least let the risk be minimal. For Nigeria to attract FDI I've identified 3 areas that must be tackled.... Security, infrastructure and institutions.
If I may discuss further.
Security: It's a no brainer what the book haram issue has meant to the business climate. The firm I work with had a couple of opportunities in the outgoing year in the north east of Nigeria. We turned them down. How do you feel foreigners who have security alerts from their various countries and embassies will feel. I've seen expertriates riding with armed guards all over the place and I tell you non is happy about it. Some firms even pay special hazards allowances for staff deployed to Nigeria. This adds to the cost of doing business generally and it's not attractive. This is not to say that security is perfect even at the countries of origin of FDI but it should be minimal and seen as controllable and manageable. Can we recall the spate of kidnappings for ransom etc. I can see why the current zero tolerance for any uprising is quashed with albeit in overkill I must admit. Business and I dare FDI thrives in an atmosphere of peace and tranquility.
INSTITUTIONS: We must be quite familiar with some unwholesome acts going on at the ports. Under hand deals, blatant request for bribes from all quarters even for people to carry out their paid jobs. Scandals from the judiciary, customs, immigration police. All operating below part in terms of ethics. The civil service filled with tin gods that see your legitimate request on their table as am opportunity to shake you down not minding the effects of this behaviour on the long run. The culture of nothing moves unless someone's palm is greased has to stop. There has to be an integrity in the system to promote trust that if we bring our business to Nigeria things will be done properly in good time without any hassles. I'll add here that a lot of people did not understand what the South African govt was doing when they decided to broadcast live the high profile case involving the blade runner Oscar Pistorious murder trial to the whole world. They wanted to show the world that our judiciary can be trusted to fair and firm. That we are transparent and even prompt. On that back drop imagine the rigmarole and opaque system in Nigeria. The world is watching. The people that are in a position to know these things behave like children unfortunately.
INFRASTRUCTURE : have you wondered that the largest economy in Africa is operating on about 5000 watts of power. Even smaller SA is operating on four times that amount. It is laughable really. So generating your own power is a consideration to be made by an FDI aspirant. It cost loads to generate private power. Weak transport outlay is not beneficial to consideration too as the movement of people goods and services is a key factor in ensuring success.

Finally you may say but other foreign companies are still operating in Nigeria. Yes they are... The high population is so so attractive but you may also be aware that they are outsourcing some of the aspects of their businesses to Benin and Ghana for ease.

2 Likes

Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by olayinkafuny80(m): 7:18pm On Jan 13, 2016
please i
in those diasporan that want to invest in nigeriainnigeria can contact me
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by 400billionman: 7:22pm On Jan 13, 2016
There are so many business opportunities in this country.

This nation is blest.
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by 400billionman: 8:07pm On Jan 13, 2016
free2ryhme:
also remember that people are waiting to frustrate your business

I dey tell you.

Our people hate seeing sucessful people arnd them..
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by 400billionman: 8:12pm On Jan 13, 2016
ooshinibos:

Real Estate..
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by 400billionman: 8:18pm On Jan 13, 2016
hilltop93:
Investment for naija sef!
Am a student final year, in 2014 I bought Audi to use a taxi in Abj bt it nearly gave me High Blood pressure. 2015 I saved 100k+ bought fearly used Kekenapepe by octber and till date av nt gotten a kobo from dat Keke. I wanted to collect it and sale during Xmas bt we traveled and hadn't time and enof excuse to leave fam/home forr such trip bt I plan to do dat by February aftr my 1st semester exams.

What are the problems you had with your Audi and what are the problems you had wth your keke napep ?

List them, let me help you out.

May i also remind you that a businessman who runs away from business challenges can be likened to a newly married who abandons his marital vows because of challenges..

It took me 3 good years of suffering and losses in transport business before i got it right.

Waiting...
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by megawave(m): 8:28pm On Jan 13, 2016
By Bayo Adeyinka

My dear Nigerian Youth,

I am very angry and that is why I am addressing you. You are the source of my anger and I want to vent my spleen- maybe not at you directly- but at the arrogance of your ignorance. Of all nations of the world, you are to be most pitied. Do you still wonder what you have done?

You don’t have an Ivy League education but with the little below-standard education you got, all you could do with it is to write a petition against someone with the benefit of an Ivy League education. You can’t even run your personal economy as you’re almost always and perpetually broke yet you arrogate to yourself superior knowledge about the nation’s economy.

You sit in front of a computer and rant all day through social media but with every click, you make money- not for yourself- but for Mark Zuckerberg. With every megabyte of data you spend complaining and maligning, you make stupendous bucks for Etisalat, Glo and Airtel.

Over the next two years, the number of Nigerian millionaires will jump by 47% but most likely you will not be among because you are too busy whining and complaining. And yet about 60% of Nigeria’s 170m population are below 35 years. Oh, what a waste!

By the way, Mark Zuckerberg was 19 when he started facebook. Africa’s youngest billionaire, Ashish Thakkar, is 31. He escaped from the Rwandan genocide and relocated to Uganda where he started an IT business. Collin Thornton, who made his millions by fixing bad computers and setting up Dial-a-Nerd, is 35. Adam Horowitz, an 18-year-old entrepreneur, started 30 websites in 3 years before he became successful.

The only thing you have ever started is an online petition. Have you heard of Jason Njoku? He’s 33 and the founder of Iroko TV. He received $8m investment into his company just a few years ago. What he does? Sharing the same Nollywood films that you spend hours to watch online. He didn’t just hang around waiting for Buhari to make something happen or blaming Jonathan for not making anything happen.

Kamal Budhabhatti was deported from Kenya but while on the flight, he thought of the opportunities in Kenya. He found his way back after 6 months and today his company is valued at $30m. He’s 36. Have you heard of Chinedu Echeruo? Apple just paid $1b for his app. He’s a Nigerian like you and all he did was attempt to fix a problem.

But for you, the only thing you attempt to fix are your nails- and your hairdo! Chinedu moved to New York in 1995 and found it difficult to navigate the city with ease so he developed HopStop to fix the problem. Stop listing all the problems- we know them already but what are you doing about them?

Awolowo was 37, Akintola was 36, Ahmadu Bello was 36, Tafawa Balewa was 34, Okotie-Eboh was 27 and Enahoro was 27 at the time of independence of Nigeria. In 1966, the first coup was led by Kaduna Nzeogwu (29) and stopped by Murtala Mohammed (28), TY Danjuma (28), IBB (25), Sanni Abacha (23) and Shehu Yaradua (23). It brought in Yakubu Gowon as Head of State at 32 and Obasanjo at 29. You are in your 40s and you still sag your trousers.

Of course you know Linda Ikeji. You’ve spent hundreds of hours on her blog laughing and commenting while she smiles her way to the bank. She’s just built a house for her father in the village- just by you clicking on her gossip and sharing. Your day is not complete without a stop by at her blog. She was as broke as you are but she turned a hobby into a business. Are you that void of understanding?

You think the politicians have any regard for you? That is why I referred to the arrogance of your ignorance at the beginning of this diatribe. You have a false estimation of yourself. You have an over bloated ego. You are only as good as an election ticket- pure and simple.

You are only good to used and discarded like a used ballot paper. Who keeps a used ballot paper anyway? That is why they only remember you every four years. You are like a menstrual pad that is only useful during the menstrual period. Are you hurt? Okay, let me help you. Have you heard of Prof Olusola Adeyeye before?

He is a Senator of the Federal Republic at the moment. But before he became a senator, he was popular on facebook. Even more popular than so many latter day facebookivists. I was one of his many followers. He put up posts after posts and pander to populist thinking. Then he was elected and one of the first things he did was to deactivate his facebook account. Yes, you read me right. Deactivate. How many times do you still see El-Rufai’s tweets? No longer regular? That is how it will dwindle until he disappears totally. I’m not limiting it to the aforementioned alone and this is not about any party. They are all the same.

Yet you falsely believe your future is in the hands of one politician. You will grow grey hair with that belief. And by the time you wise up, you’re on your way to the grave- not with a life expectancy of less than 60 years in this clime. Can you see you have wasted your time? And possibly your life? See, people have been complaining since independence. And they will still complain in 4 years. Will you be among them?

I agree with my friend who said Nigerian youth need mental detoxification. And maybe I should add that you need a brain transplant. Let me give you another example. I’ve watched you try to pull some people down when you don’t like their face- or their comments. You report them to facebook. And they get pulled down. Momentarily. Just momentarily.

Do you know why? Facebook knows those people draw traffic. Their posts get huge numbers of comments. And with every comment and click, someone is making money. Will you allow your best customers to leave? That is why though facebook pulled down Adeyinka Grandson’s page, he was given a facebook fan page in return. Yes, a fan page. You need to get a job and you need to get a life. There is life away from facebook or social media.

If you’re not making money from social media and you sleep on it, you’re merely existing- you’re not living. I have seen some of you take selfies and pose in all manner of ways as you paste your photos on social media. Are you a photographer or are you selling something that we don’t know? You’re unemployed because you’re unemployable. You don’t have skills. Sorry, the major skill you have is that of pointing out the problems and debating about them. That’s a no brainer! You can’t even diagnose the problems properly.

You think Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala is your problem? You are a self-inflicted problem. You are afflicted with yourself and by yourself. If you’re looking for the reason why you are the way you are- look no further than your mirror. Instead of occupying Nigeria, you should occupy your brain. The only witch chasing you from your village is you. It’s time to stop bewitching yourself.

Stop whining about lack of electricity or fuel. Do something about it. Every adversity has a seed of opportunity embedded in it. Create something. Invent something. Start something. Read up a book. Write a book. Take advantage of the present situation. Nigeria is a huge market. Nigeria is a virgin market. Waiting for you. Unleash yourself. Release your passion. Follow your potential. Invent your way to prosperity. Stop waiting for government- government only needs you when they need your taxes. Don’t depend on welfare. People who depend on welfare don’t fare well.

You think you lack capital? No, the problem is not lack of capital but lack of ideas. Just today, two men stepped into my wife’s office selling the new portraits of Buhari and Osinbajo. That’s someone grabbing an opportunity and seizing the moment. I have a friend who started out by offering after-school lessons to kids on her street- now she has a school.

I know a lady who was indigent and self-sponsored on campus. Each night, she soaked beans and made ‘moin-moin’ in the morning for sale on campus. I bought out of the moin moin as well as some other students and that was how she paid her way through University. Not prostitution. Have you heard of Ayodeji Megbope? She started her business with the last N1,000 she had on her by making moin moin. She is the CEO of No Leftovers.

I have shared the story of ‘Akara Ayo’ and invited him to talk to us before. He left his banking job to start a business frying Akara (bean cake) in Ibadan. And added some innovation to it.

Start a snail farm. You can start it with less than N100,000. I started it with nothing- I just picked up snails in my compound and raised them. In a couple of months, I had raised close to a thousand. You have a car and you are complaining you don’t have a job? Convert it for car hire. Take it to the airports and see how people will hire it for the day. Liase with good hotels and place it at their disposal. I met a young man in Calabar who charges N1,500 per hour for the use of his car. There is something in your hand that can give you the future you want. The best moment to start is now.

For God’s sake, just do something!

NB: This is just an article to stir up and challenge people

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by Kbraims(m): 10:13pm On Jan 13, 2016
That capital u made mentn is d main problm,because I tink wit capital 70per of d unemployd graduate outside dia wl knw how to run tinz on dia own
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by wadetaw202: 1:14am On Jan 14, 2016
niggi4life:
The company where I work is being bought over by some American and UK investors, they are therefore restructuring the whole firm, also getting rid of the casual staffs and turning them into full staffs with full benefits... All I can see in this country is a bright future and though some people will say there are no jobs but believe me in some few years to come there will be massive employment in Nigeria...All I see is Hope, hope for a better future.

Where people are crying you shall smile

Where people are hungry you shall be filled

Where people are dying you shall live

Amen!!!!!!

What is the name of your company. Or at least whcih city is is located.
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by sundoj08(m): 5:58am On Jan 14, 2016
megawave:

By Bayo Adeyinka

My dear Nigerian Youth,

I am very angry and that is why I am addressing you. You are the source of my anger and I want to vent my spleen- maybe not at you directly- but at the arrogance of your ignorance. Of all nations of the world, you are to be most pitied. Do you still wonder what you have done?

You don’t have an Ivy League education but with the little below-standard education you got, all you could do with it is to write a petition against someone with the benefit of an Ivy League education. You can’t even run your personal economy as you’re almost always and perpetually broke yet you arrogate to yourself superior knowledge about the nation’s economy.

You sit in front of a computer and rant all day through social media but with every click, you make money- not for yourself- but for Mark Zuckerberg. With every megabyte of data you spend complaining and maligning, you make stupendous bucks for Etisalat, Glo and Airtel.

Over the next two years, the number of Nigerian millionaires will jump by 47% but most likely you will not be among because you are too busy whining and complaining. And yet about 60% of Nigeria’s 170m population are below 35 years. Oh, what a waste!

By the way, Mark Zuckerberg was 19 when he started facebook. Africa’s youngest billionaire, Ashish Thakkar, is 31. He escaped from the Rwandan genocide and relocated to Uganda where he started an IT business. Collin Thornton, who made his millions by fixing bad computers and setting up Dial-a-Nerd, is 35. Adam Horowitz, an 18-year-old entrepreneur, started 30 websites in 3 years before he became successful.

The only thing you have ever started is an online petition. Have you heard of Jason Njoku? He’s 33 and the founder of Iroko TV. He received $8m investment into his company just a few years ago. What he does? Sharing the same Nollywood films that you spend hours to watch online. He didn’t just hang around waiting for Buhari to make something happen or blaming Jonathan for not making anything happen.

Kamal Budhabhatti was deported from Kenya but while on the flight, he thought of the opportunities in Kenya. He found his way back after 6 months and today his company is valued at $30m. He’s 36. Have you heard of Chinedu Echeruo? Apple just paid $1b for his app. He’s a Nigerian like you and all he did was attempt to fix a problem.

But for you, the only thing you attempt to fix are your nails- and your hairdo! Chinedu moved to New York in 1995 and found it difficult to navigate the city with ease so he developed HopStop to fix the problem. Stop listing all the problems- we know them already but what are you doing about them?

Awolowo was 37, Akintola was 36, Ahmadu Bello was 36, Tafawa Balewa was 34, Okotie-Eboh was 27 and Enahoro was 27 at the time of independence of Nigeria. In 1966, the first coup was led by Kaduna Nzeogwu (29) and stopped by Murtala Mohammed (28), TY Danjuma (28), IBB (25), Sanni Abacha (23) and Shehu Yaradua (23). It brought in Yakubu Gowon as Head of State at 32 and Obasanjo at 29. You are in your 40s and you still sag your trousers.

Of course you know Linda Ikeji. You’ve spent hundreds of hours on her blog laughing and commenting while she smiles her way to the bank. She’s just built a house for her father in the village- just by you clicking on her gossip and sharing. Your day is not complete without a stop by at her blog. She was as broke as you are but she turned a hobby into a business. Are you that void of understanding?

You think the politicians have any regard for you? That is why I referred to the arrogance of your ignorance at the beginning of this diatribe. You have a false estimation of yourself. You have an over bloated ego. You are only as good as an election ticket- pure and simple.

You are only good to used and discarded like a used ballot paper. Who keeps a used ballot paper anyway? That is why they only remember you every four years. You are like a menstrual pad that is only useful during the menstrual period. Are you hurt? Okay, let me help you. Have you heard of Prof Olusola Adeyeye before?

He is a Senator of the Federal Republic at the moment. But before he became a senator, he was popular on facebook. Even more popular than so many latter day facebookivists. I was one of his many followers. He put up posts after posts and pander to populist thinking. Then he was elected and one of the first things he did was to deactivate his facebook account. Yes, you read me right. Deactivate. How many times do you still see El-Rufai’s tweets? No longer regular? That is how it will dwindle until he disappears totally. I’m not limiting it to the aforementioned alone and this is not about any party. They are all the same.

Yet you falsely believe your future is in the hands of one politician. You will grow grey hair with that belief. And by the time you wise up, you’re on your way to the grave- not with a life expectancy of less than 60 years in this clime. Can you see you have wasted your time? And possibly your life? See, people have been complaining since independence. And they will still complain in 4 years. Will you be among them?

I agree with my friend who said Nigerian youth need mental detoxification. And maybe I should add that you need a brain transplant. Let me give you another example. I’ve watched you try to pull some people down when you don’t like their face- or their comments. You report them to facebook. And they get pulled down. Momentarily. Just momentarily.

Do you know why? Facebook knows those people draw traffic. Their posts get huge numbers of comments. And with every comment and click, someone is making money. Will you allow your best customers to leave? That is why though facebook pulled down Adeyinka Grandson’s page, he was given a facebook fan page in return. Yes, a fan page. You need to get a job and you need to get a life. There is life away from facebook or social media.

If you’re not making money from social media and you sleep on it, you’re merely existing- you’re not living. I have seen some of you take selfies and pose in all manner of ways as you paste your photos on social media. Are you a photographer or are you selling something that we don’t know? You’re unemployed because you’re unemployable. You don’t have skills. Sorry, the major skill you have is that of pointing out the problems and debating about them. That’s a no brainer! You can’t even diagnose the problems properly.

You think Ngozi Okonjo- Iweala is your problem? You are a self-inflicted problem. You are afflicted with yourself and by yourself. If you’re looking for the reason why you are the way you are- look no further than your mirror. Instead of occupying Nigeria, you should occupy your brain. The only witch chasing you from your village is you. It’s time to stop bewitching yourself.

Stop whining about lack of electricity or fuel. Do something about it. Every adversity has a seed of opportunity embedded in it. Create something. Invent something. Start something. Read up a book. Write a book. Take advantage of the present situation. Nigeria is a huge market. Nigeria is a virgin market. Waiting for you. Unleash yourself. Release your passion. Follow your potential. Invent your way to prosperity. Stop waiting for government- government only needs you when they need your taxes. Don’t depend on welfare. People who depend on welfare don’t fare well.

You think you lack capital? No, the problem is not lack of capital but lack of ideas. Just today, two men stepped into my wife’s office selling the new portraits of Buhari and Osinbajo. That’s someone grabbing an opportunity and seizing the moment. I have a friend who started out by offering after-school lessons to kids on her street- now she has a school.

I know a lady who was indigent and self-sponsored on campus. Each night, she soaked beans and made ‘moin-moin’ in the morning for sale on campus. I bought out of the moin moin as well as some other students and that was how she paid her way through University. Not prostitution. Have you heard of Ayodeji Megbope? She started her business with the last N1,000 she had on her by making moin moin. She is the CEO of No Leftovers.

I have shared the story of ‘Akara Ayo’ and invited him to talk to us before. He left his banking job to start a business frying Akara (bean cake) in Ibadan. And added some innovation to it.

Start a snail farm. You can start it with less than N100,000. I started it with nothing- I just picked up snails in my compound and raised them. In a couple of months, I had raised close to a thousand. You have a car and you are complaining you don’t have a job? Convert it for car hire. Take it to the airports and see how people will hire it for the day. Liase with good hotels and place it at their disposal. I met a young man in Calabar who charges N1,500 per hour for the use of his car. There is something in your hand that can give you the future you want. The best moment to start is now.

For God’s sake, just do something!

NB: This is just an article to stir up and challenge people

Thanks for expressing my mind to most of the delusional Nigerian youths who are busy fighting for one political party or the other and causing ethnic divide instead of taking hold of their future and realising that all these govt elites are one and same

I weep for Nigeria not cos of its leaders nor its current situation but because its youths are way asleep.

2 Likes

Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by peleson: 10:00am On Jan 14, 2016
olisasegun:
Hello friends,

Think about it!

4. You must have capital

For Your Success

Nice one
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by ooshinibos: 10:39am On Jan 14, 2016
400billionman:

Real Estate..

Thank you Bruv , I have bought a couple of plots in the ibeju lekki area , hopefully this turns out ok ..we bought some in Ibadan too
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by Spydamannn(m): 11:01am On Jan 14, 2016
Investing in nigeria is only for the bravehearts, you will lose some to win some and when u get your trophy some bad belle will want to snatch it from you
Re: Six Criteria You Must Meet Before Investing In Nigeria by berry5: 12:40pm On Dec 14, 2018
Hello,

As an investor, you can invest here and start making a good daily living incomes money from this great legit website company http://www.virtatrade.com/index.php where you can make big source of incomes from the comfort of your home without trading risk.

This how this company work, You buy your virta stock from this modern company at the current market price and sell when the price value of a virta stock rise up to make your instant profit with them.

This modern company does not involve risk trading where traders need to trade with either to loss or gain.

All you do is to sell your virta stock and make your instant profits.

I make good daily incomes from this company platform as my extra source of incomes to my bitcoin wallet. every day.

Visit and register with the company here http://www.virtatrade.com/index.php and test their trading platform with just one dollar to earn your first profit from their market to see how great their trading platform work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Monitor My CSCS Account Online / New 4 Bedrooms Bungalow Architectural Design with interior view / How Do I Buy Btc At Official Dollar Rate From A Foreign Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.