Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,068 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! (900 Views)

Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) / Google Celebrates Nigerian Author - Flora Nwapa / Chinua Achebe's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by lalasticlala(m): 7:44am On Jan 13, 2016
Flora Nwapa Turns 85 Today!

Florence Nwanzuruahu Nkiru Nwapa (13 January 1931 – 16 October 1993) was a Nigerian author best known as Flora Nwapa, who has been called the mother of modern African literature. The forerunner to a generation of African women writers, she is acknowledged as the first African woman novelist to be published in the English language in Britain and achieve international recognition,[1] with her first novel Efuru being published in 1966 by Heinemann Educational Books. While never considering herself a feminist, she is best known for recreating life and traditions from an Igbo woman's viewpoint.[2] Later she went on to be one of the first African women publishers when she founded Tana Press in the 1970s.

Nwapa also is known for her governmental work in reconstruction after the Biafran War. In particular she worked with orphans and refugees who were displaced during the war. Further she worked as a publisher of African literature and promoted women in African society.[3]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_Nwapa

2 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Dygeasy(m): 8:19am On Jan 13, 2016
Truly I am FTC!!!! Nothing is changed though, no bank alerts, still haven't had breakfast and I don't know what I'll eat but I commented first on this topic. Feels good.

However, I dedicate this space to everyone out there struggling to make ends meet through short and little means. One day you'll make it the way you want. Just keep keeping on and I pray whatever you belive in will give the strength to carry on.

One love!! cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Jboyossai(m): 8:59am On Jan 13, 2016
ok
Re: Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Ussyyn(m): 9:26am On Jan 13, 2016
HBD smiley
Re: Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by DahtzFestjayz: 11:08am On Jan 14, 2016
HBD mama RIp
Re: Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by mytime24(f): 3:30pm On Jan 14, 2016
Goddey

Rip maa

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by gossipatrol(f): 5:54pm On Jan 16, 2016
oh i love her books. she always wrote about strong, industrious and independent women with their own flaws and weaknesses. Efuru, Idu. i loved her and buchi emecheta, i see their influences in Chimamanda especially in her book 'Americannah'
Re: Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Omotayor123(f): 7:38am On Feb 01, 2016
Abeg where the birthday cake
Re: Flora Nwapa's 85th Posthumous Birthday Is Today! by Divepen1(m): 7:59am On Feb 01, 2016
lalasticlala:
Flora Nwapa Turns 85 Today!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_Nwapa
You don't here on normal days ... Gist me... Something's up.

(1) (Reply)

How I Almost Died Because Of 4 Cubes Of Sugar / The Incarnation (tale Of A Dead Mother's Return). / HOW TO WRITE A 30,000 Words + Book In A Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.