Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,215 members, 7,829,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Most Common Grammatical Blunder In Nigeria Today - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Common Grammatical Blunder In Nigeria Today (425 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid / National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Most Common Grammatical Blunder In Nigeria Today by engrbrume(m): 1:53pm On Jan 13, 2016
I can't help but express my irritation at the wrong use of "am" these days. Youngsters who are supposedly secondary school leavers and University graduates use this word wrongly. e.g
Am a graduate of computer science
Am going to school
Am an upcoming actress
Am doing my Master's. ..........The list goes on.

Corrections to the examples above.

WRONG : Am a graduate of computer science
CORRECT : I am a graduate of computer science (or I'm a graduate of computer science)

WRONG : Am going to school
CORRECT :I am going to school (or I'm going to school)

You can use "am" to start a question, e.g. Am I?

I hope someone here benefits from this unambiguous correction. This kind of mistake can make you lose opportunities. I've seen it happen before.

Have a nice day!
Re: Most Common Grammatical Blunder In Nigeria Today by Nobody: 1:00am On Jan 14, 2016
#Fail. The most common is 'Goodluck'. Since the name conjoined belonged to our former president, Nigerians now use it mistakenly where its meant to separate. Examples are 'goodluck to you', 'goodluck on your journey' and 'I wish you goodluck'.

Goodluck is the name, good luck is the proper english use. Take note.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tai Solarin Uni Matriculation / Gulen Institute Youth Platform Essay Contest 2016. / Trainersglobe.com - Your IT Training Partner!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.