Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,322 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid (60044 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / Woman Sets Facebook On Fire With Strong Grammatical Blunders, Awful Misspellings / Common Grammatical Errors To Avoid In English Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 9:22pm On Aug 03, 2016
As humans, we learn new things everyday. Only a dead man that doesn't learn and the foolish man picks offence unnecessarily when he's corrected! cool I'm not perfect and you, yes, you over there, reading this, can't be too. We all learn but it's good you share the knowledge you have because there could be others out there who might need whatever you have to share. You can also learn from what others have to share. Below are 10 common grammatical blunders we make in Nigeria when speaking:

1) 'Who is that'? People often ask this question when they hear a knock on their door. The proper question to ask should be: 'Who is it'? This is because you don't know who's at your door. It's even preferable to ask: 'Who be that'? At least, we know you are speaking Pidgin English cheesy

2) Answering a question with just a simple YES or NO only. This is very wrong. Example1: 'Do you work on Sundays'? Instead of answering 'No', you should say 'No, I don't'. Example2: 'Do you know him'? Instead of saying just 'Yes' if you know who the first speaker is referring to, you should say 'Yes, I do'. That makes it a complete answer.

3) Using the word 'offer' in school subjects. Many teachers make this terrible mistake!!! You would hear statements like 'My students don't offer Literature' or 'If you know you are not offering Government, leave the class'. WRONG!!! Students don't OFFER subjects; they TAKE subjects! To offer means to give or present something to someone. Does it mean you are presenting something to Literature or Government? grin Naija teachers, una no go kill person!

4) Using a plural verb for collective pronouns: 'Everybody ARE coming'. EVERYBODY is a collective pronoun. Collective pronouns (Collective nouns inclusive), carry a singular verb which is 'IS' and not 'ARE'. Many people also make the mistake of adding 'S' to staff, when addressing a collection of workers in an organisation. Don't say 'All the staffs in this firm'. Instead, say 'All the staff in this firm'.

5) 'I want to buy COOK egg' (Lol, not even cooked egg! grin). It's a common blunder when we go to the neighbourhood shop. Bros, it's either you are buying a boiled egg or one that is not cooked (raw) because even the one that's fried is cooked!

6) 'The shoes do not size me'. Wrong!!! 'SIZE', in this context, is a noun! It cannot function as a verb here. The correct way to say this is: 'The shoes do not fit me' or 'The shoes are not my size'. You can still say 'The shoes are over-sized or under-sized'.

7) 'My stomach or my head is paining me'. WRONG! It's not only a terrible mistake to make grammatically; it's also a useless statement!!! Why add ING to PAIN to create a verb that's not only useless but non-existent? You can say 'My stomach aches' or 'I feel pain in my stomach'.

The following are more of Oral English (correct pronunciation; that's speaking right).

cool Pronouncing FEBRUARY as 'FEBUARY'. When you pronounce this word, the 'U' and 'A' are to be silent. Pronounce it as if you are saying 'FEBRY'.

9) When you pronounce WEDNESDAY, the 'D' should be silent. It should come as 'WENSDAY'.

10) When you pronounce POLICE, the 'O' should be silent. It should come as 'Plice'.

Godbless!

469 Likes 81 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by boss096(m): 9:31pm On Aug 03, 2016
I was hoping to see something new... now some dude is gonna tell me i cant add -ing to hope. mtcheew walks outa thread.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 03, 2016
Ye
Ye
Ye
I know some set of students that won't know all but lemme lipsrsealed

Tanks Op wink
It's not easy to be a grammarian smiley

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 9:44pm On Aug 03, 2016
boss096:
I was hoping to see something new... now some dude is gonna tell me i cant add -ing to hope. mtcheew walks outa thread.
People like you hardly learn! Why not move to the Celebrity Section if you don't have anything meaningful to say here? Busy body!!!

107 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 10:00pm On Aug 03, 2016
HateU2:
Ye
Ye
Ye
I know some set of students that won't know all but lemme lipsrsealed

Tanks Op wink
It's not easy to be a grammarian smiley
Thanks! I appreciate! cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by weblord1900: 10:32pm On Aug 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
As humans, we learn new things everyday. Only a dead man that doesn't learn and the foolish man picks offence unnecessarily when he's corrected! cool I'm not perfect and you, yes, you over there, reading this, can't be too. We all learn but it's good you share the knowledge you have because there could be others out there who might need whatever you have to share. You can also learn from what others have to share. Below are 10 common grammatical blunders we make in Nigeria when speaking:

1) 'Who is that'? People often ask this question when they hear a knock on their door. The proper question to ask should be: 'Who is it'? This is because you don't know who's at your door. It's even preferable to ask: 'Who be that'? At least, we know you are speaking Pidgin English cheesy

2) Answering a question with just a simple YES or NO only. This is very wrong. Example1: 'Do you work on Sundays'? Instead of answering 'No', you should say 'No, I don't'. Example2: 'Do you know him'? Instead of saying just 'Yes' if you know who the first speaker is referring to, you should say 'Yes, I do'. That makes it a complete answer.

3) Using the word 'offer' in school subjects. Many teachers make this terrible mistake!!! You would hear statements like 'My students don't offer Literature' or 'If you know you are not offering Government, leave the class'. WRONG!!! Students don't OFFER subjects; they TAKE subjects! To offer means to give or present something to someone. Does it mean you are presenting something to Literature or Government? grin Naija teachers, una no go kill person!

4) Using a plural verb for collective pronouns: 'Everybody ARE coming'. EVERYBODY is a collective pronoun. Collective pronouns (Collective nouns inclusive), carry a singular verb which is 'IS' and not 'ARE'. Many people also make the mistake of adding 'S' to staff, when addressing a collection of workers in an organisation. Don't say 'All the staffs in this firm'. Instead, say 'All the staff in this firm'.

5) 'I want to buy COOK egg' (Lol, not even cooked egg! grin). It's a common blunder when we go to the neighbourhood shop. Bros, it's either you are buying a boiled egg or one that is not cooked (raw) because even the one that's fried is cooked!

6) 'The shoes do not size me'. Wrong!!! 'SIZE', in this context, is a noun! It cannot function as a verb here. The correct way to say this is: 'The shoes do not fit me' or 'The shoes are not my size'. You can still say 'The shoes are over-sized or under-sized'.

7) 'My stomach or my head is paining me'. WRONG! It's not only a terrible mistake to make grammatically; it's also a useless statement!!! Why add ING to PAIN to create a verb that's not only useless but non-existent? You can say 'My stomach aches' or 'I feel pain in my stomach'.

The following are more of Oral English (correct pronunciation; that's speaking right).

cool Pronouncing FEBRUARY as 'FEBUARY'. When you pronounce this word, the 'U' and 'A' are to be silent. Pronounce it as if you are saying 'FEBRY'.

9) When you pronounce WEDNESDAY, the 'D' should be silent. It should come as 'WENSDAY'.

10) When you pronounce POLICE, the 'O' should be silent. It should come as 'Plice'.

Godbless!

OP no vex o.
is it neighbourhood shop or neighbourhood's shop
grin

10 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 6:07am On Aug 04, 2016
weblord1900:

OP no vex o.
is it neighbourhood shop or neighbourhood's shop
grin
I saw it coming...before Moses, there was Jesus. What you saw up there is correct! There is no need for an apostrophe.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Funnyguy83: 6:39am On Aug 04, 2016
correct op. I just learnt something new now . Its FUNNYGUY again.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Opistorincos(m): 7:01am On Aug 04, 2016
Thanks a lot @op, as a masscomm student my English needs to be near perfect and with this, I've learnt new stuffs and I'll keep my spoken English in check

12 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 7:02am On Aug 04, 2016
Funnyguy83:
correct op. I just learnt something new now .
Thanks. We all learn everyday!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 7:04am On Aug 04, 2016
Opistorincos:
Thanks a lot @op, as a masscomm student my English needs to be near perfect and with this, I've learnt new stuffs and I'll keep my spoken English in check
Thank you; I appreciate cheesy

5 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 7:10am On Aug 04, 2016
Fynestboi, Richiez, olawalebabs...let's promote learning on this platform. This is an educative stuff. We are all learning. There are people who this post might help. Thanks!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by LOVEGINO(m): 7:16am On Aug 04, 2016
Who English don epp for Nigeria? Leave matter for dem Dogara and d polithiefcians

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 7:19am On Aug 04, 2016
LOVEGINO:
Who English don epp for Nigeria? Leave matter for dem Dogara and d polithiefcians
That's why most of you fail job interviews!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by babyfaceafrica: 7:23am On Aug 04, 2016
That you no 1 and 2 is crap!!!!!....there is absolutely nothing wrong in saying who is that?..who is it sometimes is even demeaning,as it is used for animals or inanimate entities.my advise to anyone just saying who is that ,is that such individual should use''please".because it might be an elder...say who is that please? Or please,who is that?...you could also say who is there ,please?..

To your number 2,there are questions that we call yes or no questions,therefore telling me to answer in full sentence sounds funny,if someone should ask me;are you at home? And I answer yes.what's wrong with that!!!!....am I not clear enough?...language is all about competence and performance....comprehension is paramount....Nice points from 3 though

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 7:53am On Aug 04, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
That you no 1 and 2 is crap!!!!!....there is absolutely nothing wrong in saying who is that?..who is it sometimes is even demeaning,as it is used for animals or inanimate entities.my advise to anyone just saying who is that ,is that such individual should use''please".because it might be an elder...say who is that please? Or please,who is that?...you could also say who is there ,please?..

To your number 2,there are questions that we call yes or no questions,therefore telling me to answer in full sentence sound funny.If someone should as me,are you at home? And I answer yes.what's wrong with that!!!!....am I not clear enough?...language is all about competence and performance....comprehension is paramount....Nice points from 3 though
Pick up English Grammar books and see if you are not entirely wrong for saying the first and second points are wrong! You don't just sit somewhere and assume that what someone has posted is wrong without you doing any research to find out the facts! I challenge you today to do better than this. Are you trying to tell me that you know English more than the English man? Who introduced the language to you? Was it introduced to you by your ancestors? Or you think this is African tradition we are discussing?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Cephydeen(m): 7:58am On Aug 04, 2016
learn a new thing today

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 8:01am On Aug 04, 2016
Cephydeen:
learn a new thing today
cheesy Thanks
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by babyfaceafrica: 8:09am On Aug 04, 2016
Rapmoney:
Pick up English Grammar books and see if you are not entirely wrong for saying the first and second points are wrong! You don't just sit somewhere and assume that what someone has posted is wrong without you doing any research to find out the facts! I challenge you today to do better than this. Are you trying to tell me that you know English more than the English man? Who introduced the language to you? Was it introduced to you by your ancestors? Or you think this is African tradition we are discussing?

There is more to language than picking up English grammar books? Even the English man himself is confused?why do we have various shades of English? ,the Briton has his own version(even within Britain the variant someone from newcastle(Toon) speak is different from the liverpool (scouse)),while the American(AME) has its own,likewise the Canadians and Aussies!!!...My friend even the English that you so much defend is an accumulation of different indo-germanic languages.English is crap!!!!!!....what do they have?...see different dictionaries with different phonetic transcriptions all by renowned linguist and English scholars!!!!.....Just go and sit down!!!!!....Speak and be understood...yeye

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Rapmoney(m): 9:54am On Aug 04, 2016
babyfaceafrica:

There is more to language than picking up English grammar books? Even the English man himself is confused?why do we have various shades of English ,the Briton has his own version(even within Britain the variant someone from newcastle(scouse) speaks is different from the liverpoon(toon)),while the Americans has its own,likewise the Canadians and Aussies!!!...My friend even the English that you so much defend is an accumulation of different of indo-germanic languages.English is crap!!!!!!....what do they have?...see different dictionaries with different phonetic transcriptions all by renowned linguist and English scholars!!!!.....Just go and sit down!!!!!....Speak and be understood...yeye
Chill and take a glass of water. Sorry, you can claim to have more knowledge than the English man when it comes to your local language! Not on this one! Bye!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by babyfaceafrica: 10:10am On Aug 04, 2016
Rapmoney:
Chill and take a glass of water. Sorry, you can claim to have more knowledge than the English man when it comes to your local language! Not on this one! Bye!
yimu

10 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Fidelismaria: 11:18am On Aug 04, 2016
Op
Enlightening or enlightning
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by milky3(f): 11:40am On Aug 04, 2016
thanks Op, I will save that

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by herzern(m): 5:35pm On Aug 04, 2016
cheesy

3 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by herzern(m): 5:35pm On Aug 04, 2016
undecided
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by winkmart: 5:36pm On Aug 04, 2016
abeg leave am for the QUEEN

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by herzern(m): 5:36pm On Aug 04, 2016
kiss
Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Jarus(m): 5:38pm On Aug 04, 2016

Answering question with "yes" or "no" is not "grammatical blunder" as your title says.

You may say it is not the best way to answer someone, but it is not a blunder. It's perfectly grammatically correct.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by Babysho(m): 5:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
Here's one I hear too often---[size=18pt]"DID NEPA BROUGHT THE LIGHT?"[/size]

I'll be like...

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by manuel80(m): 5:40pm On Aug 04, 2016
Rapmoney you try
Nice

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by izzou(m): 5:41pm On Aug 04, 2016
Nice info

But that Police own go hard to correct oh

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid by henrydadon(m): 5:42pm On Aug 04, 2016
u mean grammar like "shortnicker"

op leave us is it your grammer?

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Daughter Faked Studying Medicine At Oxford Uni To Con Penniless Mum (Pics) / Faith Omodon, Missing Delta Student 'Spotted In Her Boyfriend’s Residence' / Covenant University Is The Best In Nigeria-pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.