Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,806 members, 7,851,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:04 AM

A Most Unique Nigerian Discovered In Little Owerri - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / A Most Unique Nigerian Discovered In Little Owerri (500 Views)

Actress Oge Okoye Steps Out In Little Black Dress Oge / Jeremy-Meeks: Another Olajumoke Discovered In The USA / The 6 Most Unique Nigerian Pop Artists Of The Moment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Most Unique Nigerian Discovered In Little Owerri by AmakaEzeonuogu(f): 3:01pm On Jan 13, 2016
Most Unique Nigerian Discovered in Little Owerri (By Symphony Ndubueze)

"In my eight years as a talent scout, I have seen many talented young Nigerians; but I have never met one as intelligently practical and gifted as Chuma Mmeka. With his diverse talents and multi-faceted fields, he stands out as an extraordinarily unique skills-box; a jack of all trades and a master of all".

I had first seen his name pop up in a news item I read about the convening of actors and writers in south eastern Nigeria to campaign against broken marriages in October. Soon after, I saw the same name again as starring in a Nollywood movie. I watched him on TV playing the role of Chacha Eke Faani's protective elder brother who had returned from overseas to find that his sister had chosen to marry a mere keke rider (Victor Osuagwu) as against his own good friend (Andy Chukwu). I was impressed with that outing in Beyond Beauty Part 1, a Nigerian romance and action movie produced by Andy Best.

Popularly known as 'T-char', Chuma Mmeka is sociable, business-oriented, creative, intelligent; and his charisma casts a lasting impression on all those who come by him. It was not too difficult to locate him. He is known in Owerri where he has resided for almost two decades, and was known as an undergraduate student activist who had suffered police intimidation and incarceration to protect disadvantaged fellow students several years ago, and for the niche he had created for himself over time as a talented show business promoter, entertainment events organizer, prolific writer and graphic designer, print consultant, corporate manager, and as a gifted upcoming artiste.

Our scouting in Owerrri also revealed Chuma as a clothier who delighted in making one ethnic shirt for himself at least once a week. He is an interesting baker and confectioner; and he treated us to sumptuous pastries and vanilla ice cream fresh from his kitchen during our visit to his Owerri residence. In fact, if a member of my team had not offered to and been allowed to help out in the kitchen with preparations and serving, It would have been very difficult to believe that the snacks we had were actually 'Chuma Made'. On that day too, I learned the difference between a meat pie and a cornish pasty, and understood that Chuma had picked up a variety of practical skills from his mother many years ago.

Chuma has successfully handled the administration and operations of successful conglomerates comprising of non-profits and commercial enterprises. Indeed, his mementoes of corporate leadership profiles and acquired skills certificates when equated with his simple lifestyle, leaves no one in doubt that with the right amount of capital and government policies, this is one individual so capable of developing the mindset and productivity of young people for the better.

My team appreciated more of Chuma Mmeka's personality after looking at four of his published books. He also let us glance through thirteen others waiting to be published. He is a good writer and his poetry collection: The Broken Home tells the touching story of his childhood and the abuses he had faced while growing up. More amazing still, was seeing images of his massive support provisions to Vulnerable Children's activities in several states of the federation. On his rationale, he told us of his vulnerable child life story and other experiences; and the private covenant he had made in later years to channel 50% of his earnings from acting and writing to support what he calls "my vulnerable children". Three new sets of photo-filled catalogues and a video reel further showcased Chuma Mmeka as an effective crowd rouser, motivational speaker and trainer at various fora. 

My team and I returned to our base, gladdened by our find. Chuma Mmeka was indeed worth all the trouble: productively versatile, patriotic, humane and a role model in today's world. He deserves more recognition and accolades than he is presently getting from a country he so much believes in. Unfortunately, the Nigerian system and the Press is not doing well enough for our citizens. The nation is becoming legend for stifling individual aspirations and killing the dreams of our youths. Nigeria will gain so much more if only the authorities can leverage on the discovery of a rare skills-box like Chuma and do well to harness his overwhelming potentials to the benefit of all in society.

Ochuba is a talent scout and publicist, she wrote from Abuja.

(1) (Reply)

Celine Dion’s Husband, René Agelil Dies Of Cancer At 73 / How Wizkid Broke A Bottle On Dammy Krane’s Head At Quilox Night C / Celine Dion: Two Days After She Lost Her Hubby, Her Brother Dies Of Cancer Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.