Stats: 3,154,138 members, 7,821,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? (3089 Views)

Write For A Magazine / What Does It Entail To Own Or Publish A Monthly Glossy Magazine? / I Want To Publish A Book (2) (3) (4)

What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by cooldud62: 5:25pm On Jun 19, 2009
Hi guys, does anyone know what it actually takes to publish a magazine?
What i mean is this: what are the regulatory bodies you need to see and make payments of some sort to?
How much are these payments?
Its urgent please,
Thanks a million.
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by gen2genius(m): 3:01pm On Jun 21, 2009
The most important "regulatory body" you must see is the National Library. It's there you'll get to know if the name you've chosen for the mag is "available" - that is, not in use. It's also there you'll register the magazine and get an ISSN - International Standard Serial Number - for it. Take about 3 copies of the (proposed) magazine with about N5,000 naira (I'm not sure it's up to that) to any of the branches of the National Library. They'll give you further guidelines when you get there. But in your own interest, make sure the name you're choosing for the magazine is UNIQUE, one that is not likely to have been taken by someone else. Remember it's "international" number you're going for. Apart from the name you have in mind, go there with at least two other names, in case you're told the preferred one is unavailable. Good luck! wink
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by cooldud62: 11:56pm On Jun 21, 2009
thanks for replying,
are you saying this is all i have to do and i can hit the market with my magazine?
Do i need to join a body?
I will just do that and roll out my magazine?
please reply Sir/Ma.
Thanks so much.

E.g, to own a TV station, you need to buy a license, does that apply too?
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by gen2genius(m): 11:14am On Jun 22, 2009
This case is different from TV or Radio. You need a licence for these because you're using what belongs to the public, or shall I say, the government. And that is the electromagnetic spectrum. So, they are the ones to decide your frequency and other stuffs, most especially to avoid airwaves jamming. Publishing a magazine is much easier because you're using your things to do your thing (pardon the pun). What will make it a bit complex is if you're starting a magazine publishing[b] company[/b]. In that case you'll need to register the company separately, just as you'll contact the National Library to get the ISSN for the magazine.
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by cooldud62: 12:33pm On Jun 22, 2009
hmmm, you have confused me there lol,
whats the difference between publishing a magazine and
owning a magazine publishing company?
please explain to me like a toddler.

My own case is this: I want to hit the market with my own
magazine, i am going to print copies and start selling to the public,
what do i need to do so i wont break a law,
what am i supposed to know before i roll out the magazine?
Thats what i want to know.
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by JJYOU: 12:41pm On Jun 22, 2009
cooldud62*:

hmmm, you have confused me there lol,
whats the difference between publishing a magazine and
owning a magazine publishing company?
[size=18pt]please explain to me like a toddler.[/size]

My own case is this: I want to hit the market with my own
magazine, i am going to print copies and start selling to the public,
what do i need to do so i wont break a law,
what am i supposed to know before i roll out the magazine?
Thats what i want to know.
toddler want to make money? i beg google the thing and see what you get.   do we have naija isbn registration ?
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by cooldud62: 12:48pm On Jun 22, 2009
lol@ JJYOU, olodo like you telling me to google,
do you knwo how google works?
abegi, if you know what i need to know, just tell me. You funny no be small.

E.g, what did OVATION magazine do before hitting the shelves for the first time?
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by JJYOU: 2:18pm On Jun 22, 2009
cooldud62*:

lol@ JJYOU, olodo like you telling me to google,
do you knwo how google works?
abegi, if you know what i need to know, just tell me. You funny no be small.

E.g, what did OVATION magazine do before hitting the shelves for the first time?
well done. u want make money but you no wan pay anyone
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by gen2genius(m): 3:32pm On Jun 22, 2009
You could stay in your house and publish a magazine without having a company for it. A company could for example be Daily Times Press. This company could publish magazines, newspapers and books. The company must be registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission, in order to get a registration code (RC). At the same time EACH OF the books, magazines being published by the company must be registered with the National Library in order to get the International Standard Book Number and International Standard Serial Number respectively. So there's a big difference in publishing and owning a publishing company. You could write a book and another publishing company publishes it for you. Does the fact that you author a book make you an owner of a book publishing company? No. Same applies to magazine. I don't know what you're afraid about actually. I helped a lady to start a mag in Port Harcourt a few years back and no one has arrested her. I mean, she is using her money for the printing!!! I discussed with someone at the National Library and he gave me the details I gave you earlier. If you still prefer to dilly-dally, you're on your own. But I advise you, make hay while the sun shines. SPREAD YOUR WINGS AND FLY!!! wink
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by JJYOU: 4:38pm On Jun 22, 2009
gen2genius:

You could stay in your house and publish a magazine without having a company for it. A company could for example be Daily Times Press. This company could publish magazines, newspapers and books. The company must be registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission, in order to get a registration code (RC). At the same time EACH OF the books, magazines being published by the company must be registered with the National Library in order to get the International Standard Book Number and International Standard Serial Number respectively. So there's a big difference in publishing and owning a publishing company. You could write a book and another publishing company publishes it for you. Does the fact that you author a book make you an owner of a book publishing company? No. Same applies to magazine. I don't know what you're afraid about actually. I helped a lady to start a mag in Port Harcourt a few years back and no one has arrested her. I mean, she is using her money for the printing!!! I discussed with someone at the National Library and he gave me the details I gave you earlier. If you still prefer to dilly-dally, you're on your own. But I advise you, make hay while the sun shines. SPREAD YOUR WINGS AND FLY!!! wink
does naija have its isbn registration ?
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by gen2genius(m): 4:53pm On Jun 22, 2009
Sure, what do you think the National Library does? wink grin
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by cooldud62: 6:53pm On Jun 22, 2009
lol@genius,
thanks so much.
Never knew it was that easy!

I'll hit the shelves soon then!
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by gen2genius(m): 6:57pm On Jun 22, 2009
Good luck. wink

By the way, what's the magazine about? smiley
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by cooldud62: 7:44pm On Jun 22, 2009
Thanks, genius, you have been so helpful.
its going to be a true life story telling magazine.
Re: What Does It Take To Publish A Magazine? by gen2genius(m): 7:52pm On Jun 22, 2009
Good. But think deeply about the idea and make sure it is a sustainable one. There's nothing more embarrassing and humiliating than starting something you cannot sustain for a long time. undecided

Since you say you're focusing on real-life stories, be sure you have a sure FOUNTAIN or FOUNTAINS of stories that'll keep flowing for a long time.

God's speed! wink

Out Of A Nigerian Slum, A Poet Is Born / Free Audio Book Download / The Writing Life By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie