Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,875 members, 7,817,576 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord (6481 Views)

Mikkyphp's Free Paint Job / The Thread For Free Paint Job / FREE Paint Job For 1 Lucky Nairalander. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:30pm On Jan 14, 2016
Clear coat application complete.

Baking starts...Burner turned on

Can you smell what Piyke the Rock is cooking cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:33pm On Jan 14, 2016
All finished and lo, the car is a mirror smiley

Peeling off masking tape, paper et al in progress...

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:36pm On Jan 14, 2016
Good to go
Thank you Lord!

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 10:37pm On Jan 14, 2016
Car hasn't been washed yet. Will be doing that on day 5.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 14, 2016
It's looking good, Piyke.

Are you dong the work yourself, or assisting who ever is?
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 11:18pm On Jan 14, 2016
Siena:
It's looking good, Piyke.

Are you dong the work yourself, or assisting who ever is?

Thanks Siena.
Was just assisting the guy I paid to get the job done. Not that he needed my assistance, but I had to be eagle-eyed to ensure blemishes were dealt with.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jan 14, 2016
Piyke:

Thanks Siena.
Was just assisting the guy I paid to get the job done. Not that he needed my assistance, but I had to be eagle-eyed to ensure blemishes were dealt with.

I understand.

I just thought as it's your own car, you would have stripped a lot off before paint, so you have minimal masking, and paint edges.

Lights.
Grille.
Bumpers.
Door handles.
Windscreen washer jets.
Aerial.
Side mouldings.
Side windows (you can wind them down, and mask the aperture).

I do painting too, when I have time, and a booth available to rent when required. I strip my car completely, even going as far as removing my doors, trunk, hood and fenders.

If it's being done by a shop, they strip the car too. There is no better way to prep and paint a car.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 11:51pm On Jan 14, 2016
Siena:

I understand.

I just thought as it's your own car, you would have stripped a lot off before paint, so you have minimal masking, and paint edges.

Lights.
Grille.
Bumpers.
Door handles.
Windscreen washer jets.
Aerial.
Side mouldings.

I do painting too, when I have time, and a booth available to rent when required. I strip my car completely, even going as far as removing my doors, trunk, hood and fenders.

If it's being done by a shop, they strip the car too. There is no better way to prep and paint a car.

Can't agree more. That's certainly the correct way to do it. Would like to do it that way on my next paint job. Would at the very least remove all in the first list.
Thanks.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by grimadult(m): 11:54pm On Jan 14, 2016
Nice one Oga Piyke, car looks so fresh. Did u bake the car in owerri??
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 11:57pm On Jan 14, 2016
grimadult:
Nice one Oga Piyke, car looks so fresh. Did u bake the car in owerri??

Nope. Asaba, Delta state

1 Like

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by grimadult(m): 12:00am On Jan 15, 2016
Piyke:

Nope. Asaba, Delta state

OK. Been looking for an oven at owerri but found none yet. My car has same faded spots on the bonnet, roof, boot and rear side panels.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by adanny01(m): 8:52am On Jan 15, 2016
Siena:

I understand.

Lights.
Grille.
Bumpers.
Door handles.
Windscreen washer jets.
Aerial.
Side mouldings.

With our mechanics, the more they strip the car the more broken parts you get. At the end after reinstallation, a bucket full of bolts, nuts and clips would have been left behind and you would wonder if the car was fixed back correctly.

When my friend replaced his 2008 Honda Accord engine a lot of bolts, nuts, clips were missing. The entire air resonator box and its associated parts was missing. Engine mount stop bracket is still missing. Any where there is supposed to be 5 bolts, 3 or 4 are installed. All bolts are torqued till they can no longer move. All clips and grommets are broken or lost at the time of stripping. The mechanic didnt have patience when disconnecting connector for O2 B1S2, they pulled out the harnesses from the the connector. The sensor was destroyed in the process. Coolant hermostat housing was broken. PS oil tank was broken too. Gear shifter cable was broken. The list is endless.

It is a lot safer for us to do what we do. Last time i painted my car, the mechanic forgot a huge metal mallet in the boot liner. I had constant noise which i thought to be a failing rear suspension part. The rear wheel was desembled several times looking for the source of the noise but it turned out to be a mallet left behind.

10 Likes

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by redcliff: 9:55am On Jan 15, 2016
adanny01:

With our mechanics, the more they strip the car the more broken parts you get. At the end after reinstallation, a bucket full of bolts, nuts and clips would have been left behind and you would wonder if the car was fixed back correctly.

When my friend replaced his 2008 Honda Accord engine a lot of bolts, nuts, clips were missing. The entire air resonator box and its associated parts was missing. Engine mount stop bracket is still missing. Any where there is supposed to be 5 bolts, 3 or 4 are installed. All bolts are torqued till they can no longer move. All clips and grommets are broken or lost at the time of stripping. The mechanic didnt have patience when disconnecting connector for O2 B1S2, they pulled out the harnesses from the the connector. The sensor was destroyed in the process. Coolant hermostat housing was broken. PS oil tank was broken too. Gear shifter cable was broken. The list is endless.

It is a lot safer for us to do what we do. Last time i painted my car, the mechanic forgot a huge metal mallet in the boot liner. I had constant noise which i thought to be a failing rear suspension part. The rear wheel was desembled several times looking for the source of the noise but it turned out to be a mallet left behind.

I feel your pain man..next times if your friend wants to engage in that kind of process, its better that he is there while all these are done so that he instructs them on what and how to do it and also he should notice what bolt belongs to what part and makes sure that every single bolt or part taken out is kept in a safe place otherwise you would get these kinds of things. When i did a clutch job on one of the cars, i was there for the 2days it was done. I monitored every single process from beginning to the end and i also made corrections. Otherwise these guys would turn your car into a joke.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by redcliff: 9:57am On Jan 15, 2016
Siena:

I understand.

Lights.
Grille.
Bumpers.
Door handles.
Windscreen washer jets.
Aerial.
Side mouldings.

Sometimes its better off just left like that especially when the new paint is same with the old one, otherwise the car may be in a far terrible shape than the moment it went in...
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 1:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
grimadult:

OK. Been looking for an oven at owerri but found none yet. My car has same faded spots on the bonnet, roof, boot and rear side panels.

The easiest way to find one in Owerri, would be to use a painter. The actual shop were my job was done doesn't have a booth, but they have a partnership with a bigger shop that has. So he simply rents their booth.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 15, 2016
Mr Piyke how many years have you been using ur honda accord and is a V6 engine under d hood of the car?
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 8:28pm On Jan 15, 2016
dumo1:
Mr Piyke how many years have you been using ur honda accord and is a V6 engine under d hood of the car?

I've used it for 7 complete years. 2016 is my 8th year of having the car. How time flies! It was just like yesterday!
It's a 4 cylinder.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:09pm On Jan 15, 2016
adanny01:

Adanny in this response lies a fundamental problem we face as car owners; a lot of workmen are heavy handed, inpatient and sometimes don't appreciate the level of attention to detail required for fixing cars. This paint job would have been a lot less than it turned out had I not been around. In fact, some of the blemishes I was pointing out for the painter correct, he regarded as insignificant; "Oga that one no matter nau", "Oga you too worry". Maybe the guy would have died if he was doing a paint job for Siena cheesy grin grin grin

I just found out my rear left power window no longer works, following the loosening and reinstall of the panel to correct dents the door. Guess the panel beater forgot to attach the connector for that. Will sort it out myself.
I totally get the point of loosening less. Should I go the stripping down route next time, I will do the stripping myself while the painter does the painting.

1 Like

Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by IdaraCHODB(m): 11:00am On Jan 24, 2016
Welldone dear friend

Painting a car takes a lot of time and patience, but with some handy tips and tricks you can easily do it yourself at home. Luckily with YouTube you can get the training you need to perform incredible paint jobs without spending all of that money on training at an auto school or shop. On the YouTube channel Rodsshop they have several different videos that help train people in all thing auto body. In this video we learn how to fix the horrible peeling clear coat on a vehicle that we all hate. The process is way easy then you would think and will leave your car looking absolutely brand new! To check it out click the video below!

http://speed.legendaryspeed.com/learn-how-to-easily-fix-the-peeling-clear-coat-on-your-car/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwtTqy4OQM?list=PL7bCv2WuVwPTLUjthH2WUtreLEaU5Miht

isn't that your model? lol!
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 11:55am On Jan 25, 2016
IdaraCHODB:
Welldone dear friend

Painting a car takes a lot of time and patience, but with some handy tips and tricks you can easily do it yourself at home. Luckily with YouTube you can get the training you need to perform incredible paint jobs without spending all of that money on training at an auto school or shop. On the YouTube channel Rodsshop they have several different videos that help train people in all thing auto body. In this video we learn how to fix the horrible peeling clear coat on a vehicle that we all hate. The process is way easy then you would think and will leave your car looking absolutely brand new! To check it out click the video below!

http://speed.legendaryspeed.com/learn-how-to-easily-fix-the-peeling-clear-coat-on-your-car/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRwtTqy4OQM?list=PL7bCv2WuVwPTLUjthH2WUtreLEaU5Miht

isn't that your model? lol!

Funny enough its my model, the coupé. Many thanks for sharing these links. We keep learning everyday!
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Coolexty(m): 2:14pm On Jan 25, 2016
Piyke:
Clear coat application complete.

Baking starts...Burner turned on

Can you smell what Piyke the Rock is cooking cheesy cheesy
I honestly never knew there's oven spray in Asaba. I live in warri and would love to bake my Honda Accord. Could you please send me the address of the place where u baked ur car and also the cost, thanks.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Denn(m): 3:27pm On Jan 25, 2016
Nice job....
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:42pm On Jan 25, 2016
Coolexty:

I honestly never knew there's oven spray in Asaba. I live in warri and would love to bake my Honda Accord. Could you please send me the address of the place where u baked ur car and also the cost, thanks.

Address: Doesn't have a house address number, but it's off College of education road. If coming from the Nnebisi end, it's the next left turn after the school gate. Once on this untarred road, its the 2nd green gate on the right.

Cost depends on the level of panel beating your car would require. I paid 60k for the paint job, panel beater charged an additional 5k for his own work.

If you need more directions to the place you could send me a PM
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 9:44pm On Jan 25, 2016
Denn:
Nice job....

Thanks Denn
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by obitryce(m): 11:38am On Jan 29, 2016
There's also an oven bake shop around that market by okumagba estate, where you have the police station. Not familiar with the street name but it connects you to a popular old college around there.
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Coolexty(m): 12:16pm On Jan 29, 2016
obitryce:
There's also an oven bake shop around that market by okumagba estate, where you have the police station. Not familiar with the street name but it connects you to a popular old college around there.
Where is that you re talkin about, Asaba?
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by melviniyke2002(m): 4:25am On Dec 15, 2019
Piyke:

Nope. Asaba, Delta state
pls where in asaba
Re: Paint-job Diary: Respray Of 03 Accord by Piyke: 1:30pm On Dec 15, 2019
melviniyke2002:
pls where in asaba

Piyke:

Address: Doesn't have a house address number, but it's off College of education road. If coming from the Nnebisi end, it's the next left turn after the school gate. Once on this untarred road, its the 2nd green gate on the right.

Cost depends on the level of panel beating your car would require. I paid 60k for the paint job, panel beater charged an additional 5k for his own work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Between A 406 And A Camry: Pls Advise / 2007 Camry Hesitates At Startup / Innoson Massive Production Of IVM-IKENGA-2019 At Anambra Base- PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.