Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android (1990 Views)

Infinix Hot 6 Unboxing & Advantages over the Infinix Hot 6 Pro! / Reasons Why I Think The Iphone X Is An Overrated Piece Of Metal - Naijatechguy / 11 Hilarious Ways The Internet Reacted To The Iphone 7 Release (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 16, 2016
We hate to kick a dead horse but unfortunately, Android fragmentation is an issue that continues to rear its ugly head. Time and time again we see problems arise that call Google’s Android strategy into question, and fragmentation has to be at the top of the list for consumers. Because of the nature of Google’s mobile software, new versions don’t typically reach end users for several months or even several years after release. Why? Because updates have to be tweaked and thoroughly tested by device vendors and then again by wireless carriers before they reach end user handsets.

This means that the latest and greatest features Android has to offer won’t even reach users with brand new flagship smartphones for two, four, even six months or more after release. And now, a new study once again reminds us that this is a big pain point for consumers.

Android 6.0 Marshmallow was first released to the public in early October, more than three months ago. According to Google’s latest Android version distribution data, which is current as of January 4, 2016, Marshmallow is currently installed on just 0.7% of all Android handsets that access the Google Play store. The most popular version of Android is currently Android 4.4 KitKat, which was released in October 2013.

Meanwhile, Apple’s latest major release came less than one month prior to Android 6.0 in September of last year. In the same amount of time it took Marshmallow to reach 0.7% of devices, iOS 9 was installed on 75% of all iOS devices that access the App Store as of January 11th, 2016, according to Apple’s data.

Apple doesn’t have the same barriers as Google when it comes to distributing software updates, and end users benefit as a result.

Why are we bringing this issue up again? The results of a study conducted recently by researchers from the University of British Columbia and the University of California, Berkeley are yet another reminder of the issue.

As relayed by CNET, the study found that 80% of respondents want the ability to block apps they install from being granted certain permissions. For example, an app might request access your photos, contacts and location upon installation. Rather than grant all of these permissions to an app, 80% of people would like the ability to grant some but block others, as is the case in iOS.

Here’s the problem: Android already has this functionality, it’s just that more than 99% of Android users don’t yet have access to the updated version of Android that includes this feature.

Android 6.0 Marshmallow, first released in 2015, will not be the most popular version of Android among users until late 2017 into early 2018. By then, Android 8.0 will have been released and people on Marshmallow will be using software that is painfully old and outdated. Meanwhile, the vast majority of iPhone and iPad users will be on Apple’s just-released iOS 11 software, and they’ll have access to all of the new features that come with it.

Source:
http://bgr.com/2016/01/15/android-vs-iphone-updates-study
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by oluwafreshkid(m): 1:01pm On Jan 16, 2016
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by destino24(m): 1:09pm On Jan 16, 2016
Rubbish!
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 16, 2016
OK oo
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Whizpeter(m): 1:29pm On Jan 16, 2016
Waste of MB
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by respect80(m): 1:36pm On Jan 16, 2016
We still prefer am
I nor fit get phone make I dey buy opera mini b4 I use am
tongue

2 Likes

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by pillan(f): 1:45pm On Jan 16, 2016
Good points..but still doesn't change nofin
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by divinehand2003(m): 1:56pm On Jan 16, 2016
True talk dear OP. I am also guilty of denying updates that pop up regularly because they consume data. How I wish these updates were free.
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by CallmeKola(m): 3:19pm On Jan 16, 2016
#Fandroid
Ride or Die!

1 Like

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by invisibility: 7:40pm On Jan 16, 2016
Dear Op, have you heard about rooting and custom Roms.

Even without rooting there are Android apps that give you almost all those enhanced functionalities you mentioned.

IPhones are simply a bunch of overhyped and over-priced piece of junk.

Or should I start naming the countless number of advantages Android has over IPhones. Does your iPhone even have common Bluetooth or memory card slot?

Don't start a war you can't ever win.

2 Likes

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 16, 2016
divinehand2003:
True talk dear OP. I am also guilty of denying updates that pop up regularly because they consume data. How I wish these updates were free.

But updates are free lol

1 Like

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jan 16, 2016
invisibility:
Dear Op, have you heard about rooting and custom Roms.

Even without rooting there are Android apps that give you almost all those enhanced functionalities you mentioned.

IPhones are simply a bunch of overhyped and over-priced piece of junk.

Or should I start naming the countless number of advantages Android has over IPhones. Does your iPhone even have common Bluetooth or memory card slot?

Don't start a war you can't ever win.

Aw cmon it hasn't come to that. Rooting u say? Abeg tell me wetin concern a busy businessman with rooting and custom rom? That sh*t is meant for the youths and power users. Unfortunately, power users only make up about 10% of total Android users. I'm an Android user, but I can't deny I get jealous of ios when they get timely updates. Let's stop deceiving ourselves. The rooting, tweaking and flashing is the reason Android phones get infected with virus... Something u can hardly find on ios and windows. Almost everyday someone opens a thread about his Android getting infected with a virus. Also lots of people have bricked their phones as a result of flashing this flashing that. Yes ios has limited functionalities compared to Android, but it is an OS that just works with limited issues. It is designed for people that want something that works without hazzles of tweaking. U can pick up an iPhone 5s (a 2013 flagship) and it is already running the latest ios. But most 2013 Androids are still running kitkat, only a few has lollipop and marshmallow is still a no go area.

I love Android, I'm not switching to ios for now (personal preference) but that won't stop me from saying the truth. I have an htc one m7 since 2013 and it is running lollipop because I rooted it and flashed a custom rom. It will probably not get marshmallow. I have an LG g3 that is running marshmallow but that is because I flashed the official LG marshmallow, I didn't update through ota. My s6 is still running lollipop because it is a t mobile version and marshmallow is not available yet. Now do u think many people have that time and privilege to be flashing roms? There's nothing as sweet as ota updates which doesn't go well with Android.

So lets say u flash a custom rom, and then Google release a small security patch for the os, since u wont get ota then u have to download and flash a complete rom of about 1.2gb just to get a security patch that is not more than 60mb when pushed through ota. Then a few months later Google release another 20mb security patch, u go again and download a 1.2gb complete rom just to have the update. Tell me where is the sense in that? On ios every security patch is pushed through ota. It is a luxury Android is lacking , let's be honest.

5 Likes

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by invisibility: 8:52pm On Jan 16, 2016
greenhulk:

Aw cmon it hasn't come to that. Rooting u say? Abeg tell me wetin concern a busy businessman with rooting and custom rom? That sh*t is meant for the youths and power users. Unfortunately, power users only make up about 10% of total Android users. I'm an Android user, but I can't deny I get jealous of ios when they get timely updates. Let's stop deceiving ourselves. The rooting, tweaking and flashing is the reason Android phones get infected with virus... Something u can hardly find on ios and windows. Almost everyday someone opens a thread about his Android getting infected with a virus. Also lots of people have bricked their phones as a result of flashing this flashing that. Yes ios has limited functionalities compared to Android, but it is an OS that just works with limited issues. It is designed for people that want something that works without hazzles of tweaking. U can pick up an iPhone 5s (a 2013 flagship) and it is already running the latest ios. But most 2013 Androids are still running kitkat, only a few has lollipop and marshmallow is still a no go area.

I love Android, I'm not switching to ios for now (personal preference) but that won't stop me from saying the truth. I have an htc one m7 since 2013 and it is running lollipop because I rooted it and flashed a custom rom. It will probably not get marshmallow. I have an LG g3 that is running marshmallow but that is because I flashed the official LG marshmallow, I didn't update through ota. My s6 is still running lollipop because it is a t mobile version and marshmallow is not available yet. Now do u think many people have that time and privilege to be flashing roms? There's nothing as sweet as ota updates which doesn't go well with Android.

So lets say u flash a custom rom, and then Google release a small security patch for the os, since u wont get ota then u have to download and flash a complete rom of about 1.2gb just to get a security patch that is not more than 60mb when pushed through ota. Then a few months later Google release another 20mb security patch, u go again and download a 1.2gb complete rom just to have the update. Tell me where is the sense in that? On ios every security patch is pushed through ota. It is a luxury Android is lacking , let's be honest.

First of all IOS has its own type of rooting, its called jailbreaking.

Second IOS also has virus issues too. There are many good ways of dealing with virus issues on Android whether rooted or not.

You also forgot that I mentioned that many enhanced features you get from Android OS upgrades are already available from Android apps on playstore or trusted sites.

For instance enhanced battery functionalities can be easily gotten by downloading very good battery apps.

Permissions apps on playstore also deal with the issue of Permissions, Data restriction apps are available that mimic the data restriction functionalities in an OS upgrade.

Besides no one wants to be tied to the boring use of the same phone always. So an android user can sell his phone and buy an OS upgraded type. Same with a car, clothes, shoes or things people use.

You are also forgetting the Google nexus phones or "Android One" phones that recieve super fast OS updates for those that are crazy about updates.

In summary even if truely OS update issues is an advantage an IPhone has over Android (Which is not exactly the case as I've clearly shown) it is not enough reason for me to give up my cheaper android phone that has far more functionalities and specifications for an IPhone that sells 6 times more than it.

Other facts:

1.Android began to enjoy 5inch and 5.5-inch bigger screens, biggers RAM, 4G LTE network up to two years ahead of iPhone.

2.Many cheap Android phones have bigger and better batteries than an iPhone.

3. You can opt for a dual sim card or even a triple sim card in an android phone if you hate the inconveniences of carrying multiple phones... a feat impossible in an iPhone.

4. You enjoy the ease of Bluetooth file transfers, Bluetooth headset, handsfree etc.

5. Memory card space allowing you expansion of up to 128Gb to stuff movies, music, memorable events and most importantly business videos. There's even 256Gb SD in the making. IPhones can only dream.

6. You have wide array of thousands to choose from android phones with different added functionalities from heart rate monitor to multi-screen features. For IPhone you are tied to the same boring costly type of phone without array of choices.

7. Some Android phone can boast of dual OS of Windows and Android all in one. Impossible in IOS environment.

Should I Continue.... Or is it already obvious that Android murdered IPhones long time ago.

4 Likes

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 16, 2016
invisibility:

First of all IOS has its own type of rooting, its called jailbreaking.

Second IOS also has virus issues too. There are many good ways of dealing with virus issues on Android whether rooted or not.

You also forgot that I mentioned that many enhanced features you get from Android OS upgrades are already available from Android apps on playstore or trusted sites.

For instance enhanced battery functionalities can be easily gotten by downloading very good battery apps.

Permissions apps on playstore also deal with the issue of Permissions, Data restriction apps are available that mimic the data restriction functionalities in an OS upgrade.

Besides no one wants to be tied to the boring use of the same phone always. So an android user can sell his phone and buy an OS upgraded type. Same with a car, clothes, shoes or things people use.

You are also forgetting the Google nexus phones or "Android One" phones that recieve super fast OS updates for those that are crazy about updates.

In summary even if truely OS update issues is an advantage an IPhone has over Android (Which is not exactly the case as I've clearly shown) it is not enough reason for me to give up my cheaper android phone that has far more functionalities and specifications for an IPhone that sells 6 times more than it.

Other facts:

1.Android began to enjoy 5inch and 5.5-inch bigger screens, biggers RAM, 4G LTE network up to two years ahead of iPhone.

2.Many cheap Android phones have bigger and better batteries than an iPhone.

3. You can opt for a dual sim card or even a triple sim card in an android phone if you hate the inconveniences of carrying multiple phones... a feat impossible in an iPhone.

4. You enjoy the ease of Bluetooth file transfers, Bluetooth headset, handsfree etc.

5. Memory card space allowing you expansion of up to 128Gb to stuff movies, music, memorable events and most importantly business videos. There's even 256Gb SD in the making. IPhones can only dream.

6. You have wide array of thousands to choose from android phones with different added functionalities from heart rate monitor to multi-screen features. For IPhone you are tied to the same boring costly type of phone without array of choices.

7. Some Android phone can boast of dual OS of Windows and Android all in one. Impossible in IOS environment.

Should I Continue.... Or is it already obvious that Android murdered IPhones long time ago.

I am not going to argue with u about which is the better OS between android and ios. I'll ask u a simple question. Have u ever used and ios device? If no then this argument is pointless. If yes then read on.

Whcih OS is more functional: definitely android
Which os has a better user experience: ios
Which os is safer: ios
Which os has less bugs: ios

Like I said earlier, I'm a core android user and I prefer android to ios, but I have used both. This topic is not about which is the better OS, it is about which os gets timely updates and it is obvious ios muders android in this department. Almost Every 2013 model iPhone 5s already has the latest ios while android oems are still releasing phones running lollipop I'm 2016, just imagine that.

When u talked about bigger batteries on android I laughed. For what reason do we have bigger batteries in phones? To increase battery life of course. Did it occur to u that ios is more optimized than android so there's no point putting a bigger batteries on their phones when a smaller battery will give same battery life. IPhone 6s plus is one of the phones with best battery life in 2015. It's battery is less than 3,000mah, yet it gives a better battery life than many android phones with 3,500 and even 4,000mah battery. Apple did a good job in optimizing the OS, fitting a smaller battery thereby keeping the sexyness of the phone.

And about RAM... What's the point of adding more RAM to the phone when the phone will still lag at the end of the day? Ios don't need more RAM to perform. Iphone 6s has only 2gb of ram and it performs better than LG g3 with 3gb of ram. What am I even saying, iPhone 6 with 1gb of ram performs better than lots of android phones with 3gb of ram. So y see ale don't need to add more rams just for the sake of it.. They will only increase the ram when it is necessary. There is no app... I repeat no app that an android phone with even 4gb of ram can run that an iPhone 6 with 1gb of ram cannot run.. There are even some apps on ios that are heavier and more beautiful on ios than android. Developers put more work in creating ios apps becausse they make money from ios than android. U can do the research and find out urself. Same thing with camera.. Apple don't need to add more megapixels just for the sake of it. IPhone 6 has just 8mp camera and it takes better pictures than lots of android with 13 or even 16mp camera.

The bottom line is android is more power hungry, it requires bigger battery and more cores to match the performance of ios.. That is not apples fault is it? Does it occur to u that iPhone 6s is just dual core? Yes, freaking dual core clocked at 1.4ghz yet is it faster than every android phones with quad core processor, some clocked at 2.4ghz. So next u are going to tell me android is better because they have quad cores lol. Tell me do these people just add more cores for the sake of it? It is a mobile phone for God's sake. If an iPhone with dual core can perform better than android with quad cores then that should tell u something is wrong with android. I know we will see android phones with decacores in 2016, then the size will just keep getting bigger because they need bigger batteries to power these cores.. And what would be the end result? Still won't be as fast as a corresponding iPhone.

I know android has some advantages over ios, like Bluetooth transfer, memory card, ability to drag and drop, etc. But the truth is Apple has built an os that is so optimized that it doesn't need to many power to run smoothly. That is where I give them credit. An os that works and that is why apple is the biggest brand in the world. Apple doesn't need to add memory card support to their phones, they made 128gb version available if u need more space. U cannot expect someone to buy an expensive iPhone and then he goes to buy a cheap memory card to use with it, when his phone slows down then he goes back and blame Apple. Even Samsung ditched the memory card support for this reason. Lots of android oems are already ditching the memory card support.. The ones still adding it are the ones that are looking for customers. I used a galaxy s4 in the past and the memory card I had in it was substandard which made my phone slow down.

So bros, I'm not saying ios is better, but ios has the most important thing an average user wants which is ease of use, rest of mind. I still love my android though.

3 Likes

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by PhonePlanet(m): 12:26am On Jan 17, 2016
*just passing cool*

Some people can just argue, they would never learn, and never willing to learn. They have little knowledge an claim to know much, they have little experience and claim to have seen all.

Just because you can afford a little android phone, and used it for sometime, you now feel your phone is the best, comparing it to what "you heard" not what "you experienced or know"

And when someone tries to correct you, the person automatically becomes an iphone user?

Well

I'm still Just passing cool

5 Likes

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by teelaweee(m): 6:35am On Feb 24, 2016
destino24:
Rubbish!
loool they have to test run the os to be sure if it will be better than the former u dont just release and send u check for users experience
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 24, 2016
walescounis:
We hate to kick a dead horse but unfortunately, Android fragmentation is an issue that continues to rear its ugly head. Time and time again we see problems arise that call Google’s Android strategy into question, and fragmentation has to be at the top of the list for consumers. Because of the nature of Google’s mobile software, new versions don’t typically reach end users for several months or even several years after release. Why? Because updates have to be tweaked and thoroughly tested by device vendors and then again by wireless carriers before they reach end user handsets.

This means that the latest and greatest features Android has to offer won’t even reach users with brand new flagship smartphones for two, four, even six months or more after release. And now, a new study once again reminds us that this is a big pain point for consumers.

Android 6.0 Marshmallow was first released to the public in early October, more than three months ago. According to Google’s latest Android version distribution data, which is current as of January 4, 2016, Marshmallow is currently installed on just 0.7% of all Android handsets that access the Google Play store. The most popular version of Android is currently Android 4.4 KitKat, which was released in October 2013.

Meanwhile, Apple’s latest major release came less than one month prior to Android 6.0 in September of last year. In the same amount of time it took Marshmallow to reach 0.7% of devices, iOS 9 was installed on 75% of all iOS devices that access the App Store as of January 11th, 2016, according to Apple’s data.

Apple doesn’t have the same barriers as Google when it comes to distributing software updates, and end users benefit as a result.

Why are we bringing this issue up again? The results of a study conducted recently by researchers from the University of British Columbia and the University of California, Berkeley are yet another reminder of the issue.

As relayed by CNET, the study found that 80% of respondents want the ability to block apps they install from being granted certain permissions. For example, an app might request access your photos, contacts and location upon installation. Rather than grant all of these permissions to an app, 80% of people would like the ability to grant some but block others, as is the case in iOS.

Here’s the problem: Android already has this functionality, it’s just that more than 99% of Android users don’t yet have access to the updated version of Android that includes this feature.

Android 6.0 Marshmallow, first released in 2015, will not be the most popular version of Android among users until late 2017 into early 2018. By then, Android 8.0 will have been released and people on Marshmallow will be using software that is painfully old and outdated. Meanwhile, the vast majority of iPhone and iPad users will be on Apple’s just-released iOS 11 software, and they’ll have access to all of the new features that come with it.

Source:
http://bgr.com/2016/01/15/android-vs-iphone-updates-study
it seems everybody wants android to be iOS.the way google treat updates means most features on new android versions are usually passed down to old ones and the biggest difference between a new version of android and an older one is usually in aesthetics.every android user using kit kat(and maybe even 4.0 ICS) and above have all new updates to material design for google apps,all new google now features etc.and majorly most skinned version of android have far far more features than stock android e.g apps permission has been on some android devices since kit kat and on many lollipop(5.x) devices(even my zero 3 has it) and google only just released it on marshmallow.split screen multitasking can be found on some android devices(on many Samsung devices since 2012/2013) but android 6.0 doesn't have it.another thing most new apps and games on the playstore support android 4.1 devices and above even the play store automatically updates itself without the need for any system or app update.
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Elsquidme(m): 11:01am On Feb 24, 2016
greenhulk:

I am not going to argue with u about which is the better OS between android and ios. I'll ask u a simple question. Have u ever used and ios device? If no then this argument is pointless. If yes then read on.

Whcih OS is more functional: definitely android
Which os has a better user experience: ios
Which os is safer: ios
Which os has less bugs: ios

Like I said earlier, I'm a core android user and I prefer android to ios, but I have used both. This topic is not about which is the better OS, it is about which os gets timely updates and it is obvious ios muders android in this department. Almost Every 2013 model iPhone 5s already has the latest ios while android oems are still releasing phones running lollipop I'm 2016, just imagine that.

When u talked about bigger batteries on android I laughed. For what reason do we have bigger batteries in phones? To increase battery life of course. Did it occur to u that ios is more optimized than android so there's no point putting a bigger batteries on their phones when a smaller battery will give same battery life. IPhone 6s plus is one of the phones with best battery life in 2015. It's battery is less than 3,000mah, yet it gives a better battery life than many android phones with 3,500 and even 4,000mah battery. Apple did a good job in optimizing the OS, fitting a smaller battery thereby keeping the sexyness of the phone.

And about RAM... What's the point of adding more RAM to the phone when the phone will still lag at the end of the day? Ios don't need more RAM to perform. Iphone 6s has only 2gb of ram and it performs better than LG g3 with 3gb of ram. What am I even saying, iPhone 6 with 1gb of ram performs better than lots of android phones with 3gb of ram. So y see ale don't need to add more rams just for the sake of it.. They will only increase the ram when it is necessary. There is no app... I repeat no app that an android phone with even 4gb of ram can run that an iPhone 6 with 1gb of ram cannot run.. There are even some apps on ios that are heavier and more beautiful on ios than android. Developers put more work in creating ios apps becausse they make money from ios than android. U can do the research and find out urself. Same thing with camera.. Apple don't need to add more megapixels just for the sake of it. IPhone 6 has just 8mp camera and it takes better pictures than lots of android with 13 or even 16mp camera.

The bottom line is android is more power hungry, it requires bigger battery and more cores to match the performance of ios.. That is not apples fault is it? Does it occur to u that iPhone 6s is just dual core? Yes, freaking dual core clocked at 1.4ghz yet is it faster than every android phones with quad core processor, some clocked at 2.4ghz. So next u are going to tell me android is better because they have quad cores lol. Tell me do these people just add more cores for the sake of it? It is a mobile phone for God's sake. If an iPhone with dual core can perform better than android with quad cores then that should tell u something is wrong with android. I know we will see android phones with decacores in 2016, then the size will just keep getting bigger because they need bigger batteries to power these cores.. And what would be the end result? Still won't be as fast as a corresponding iPhone.

I know android has some advantages over ios, like Bluetooth transfer, memory card, ability to drag and drop, etc. But the truth is Apple has built an os that is so optimized that it doesn't need to many power to run smoothly. That is where I give them credit. An os that works and that is why apple is the biggest brand in the world. Apple doesn't need to add memory card support to their phones, they made 128gb version available if u need more space. U cannot expect someone to buy an expensive iPhone and then he goes to buy a cheap memory card to use with it, when his phone slows down then he goes back and blame Apple. Even Samsung ditched the memory card support for this reason. Lots of android oems are already ditching the memory card support.. The ones still adding it are the ones that are looking for customers. I used a galaxy s4 in the past and the memory card I had in it was substandard which made my phone slow down.

So bros, I'm not saying ios is better, but ios has the most important thing an average user wants which is ease of use, rest of mind. I still love my android though.
This is the only argument i concur to it only that some points are lest relevant due to different manufacturers. the ram issue i strongly agree with you. i thought the better the ram means more space remaining but it seems the higher the ram, the apps takes advantage to increase their size of process which you see a 1g ram suddenly lacks enough free space for multi tasking, it seems android gingerbread is better than those latest in terms of ram management. wallahi windows is better than android (as in laptops and dextop and windows phone)
Camera quality is a problem to some low end phones while to some is very good even at low megapixels. Nokia carl zeiss camera is better, maybe iphones now are equall i dont know but nokia has the best camera quality even at low mp. so for that as technology and market strategies progress depending on the different manufacturers we have nowadays, some androids are equal to the iphones and nokias.
About SD Cards, if the manufacturers can provide better memory cards then why the fuss about memory cards causing problems to smartphones in general? despite the fact we know there are many fake memory cards out there, they should lead the war on fakes so that consumers can enjoy the advantageous use of the SD Cards. why will i have a memory that is not transferable, always fixed that if i dont have a computer i cant move my data or if the phone is accidentally broken i will lose all data. Better memory cards, atleast i will recover it easily. i know of a guy who got his phone destroyed all he could salvage was his sim and memory cards. if it was an inbuilt memory... i dont know!
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Nobody: 12:00pm On Feb 24, 2016
Elsquidme:
This is the only argument i concur to it only that some points are lest relevant due to different manufacturers. the ram issue i strongly agree with you. i thought the better the ram means more space remaining but it seems the higher the ram, the apps takes advantage to increase their size of process which you see a 1g ram suddenly lacks enough free space for multi tasking, it seems android gingerbread is better than those latest in terms of ram management. wallahi windows is better than android (as in laptops and dextop and windows phone)
Camera quality is a problem to some low end phones while to some is very good even at low megapixels. Nokia carl zeiss camera is better, maybe iphones now are equall i dont know but nokia has the best camera quality even at low mp. so for that as technology and market strategies progress depending on the different manufacturers we have nowadays, some androids are equal to the iphones and nokias.
About SD Cards, if the manufacturers can provide better memory cards then why the fuss about memory cards causing problems to smartphones in general? despite the fact we know there are many fake memory cards out there, they should lead the war on fakes so that consumers can enjoy the advantageous use of the SD Cards. why will i have a memory that is not transferable, always fixed that if i dont have a computer i cant move my data or if the phone is accidentally broken i will lose all data. Better memory cards, atleast i will recover it easily. i know of a guy who got his phone destroyed all he could salvage was his sim and memory cards. if it was an inbuilt memory... i dont know!

Good point u made. I agree u can't blame OEM for a consumer that puts a fake SD card on his phone. The thing is Nigerians like cheap things. They will spend up to 50k to buy a phone but cannot afford to spend 5k to buy an SD card they would rather opt got the 1k fake ones. Actually I think all phones should have SD card support, but the substandard ones are ruining the market. Apple are not ready to add an SD card support to their iphones as they believe their phones at meant fit the elites and most of them use cloud storage anyway, here in Nigeria cloud storage is a no no... U need lots of data to save and retrieve files from the cloud.
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Elsquidme(m): 7:38pm On Feb 24, 2016
greenhulk:

Good point u made. I agree u can't blame OEM for a consumer that puts a fake SD card on his phone. The thing is Nigerians like cheap things. They will spend up to 50k to buy a phone but cannot afford to spend 5k to buy an SD card they would rather opt got the 1k fake ones. Actually I think all phones should have SD card support, but the substandard ones are ruining the market. Apple are not ready to add an SD card support to their iphones as they believe their phones at meant fit the elites and most of them use cloud storage anyway, here in Nigeria cloud storage is a no no... U need lots of data to save and retrieve files from the cloud.
frankly this is what i dont like, puting all my data on cloud including private ones naaahh! at most my contacts. presently i dey manage simple server which not all even me is satisfy with it cos of its connectivity problem, others are expensive which the average nigerians find it hard to sustain. so many people dont bother to use. data is our problem!
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by falseman(m): 8:35pm On Feb 24, 2016
Frankly speaking IPhone gives you reliable IOS but in general overhyped on the other hand the wait for OS update on Android is crazy.

My first love was IOS until I used android.... I tried again when iPhone 6 came out I ended up selling a brand new phone just after 2 days.
If you ain't techy or don't care about freedom pls stick with iPhone you will be more secured for your day to day activities otherwise android is your best bet

1 Like

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Toppytek(m): 10:31pm On Feb 24, 2016
Even if they sell iPhone at the rate of #50k I'll prefer Android to iOS.. Though iPhone is okay and well optimised but not user friendly... That's d only turn off for me.. Also I have this android app (TASKER) .. God !!... This app beats iPhone hands down... Well I can later buy iPhone someday just for showing off and using my Android phone (Sony xperia) for doing my THINGS!!
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Toppytek(m): 10:38pm On Feb 24, 2016
falseman:
Frankly speaking IPhone gives you reliable IOS but in general overhyped on the other hand the wait for OS update on Android is crazy.

My first love was IOS until I used android.... I tried again when iPhone 6 came out I ended up selling a brand new phone just after 2 days.
If you ain't techy or don't care about freedom pls stick with iPhone you will be more secured for your day to day activities otherwise android is your best bet
you've said it all... Most android user are those that a very techy... And I know we have dem here on nairaland.. Most time if I go through some android phone's threads I do see myself as amateur.. Walai... #TeamAndroid
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Nobody: 11:30pm On Feb 24, 2016
Toppytek:
you've said it all... Most android user are those that a very techy... And I know we have dem here on nairaland.. Most time if I go through some android phone's threads I do see myself as amateur.. Walai... #TeamAndroid

Actually Android are more prone to attack by hackers because of non uniformity in releasing updates, and this so called 'techy' is the main reason most hackers target Android rather than ios, Windows and BlackBerry. Android users can install all sorts of jargons that are not from the play store, some of them have phishing and spying softwares embedded. To u and me it might not mean anything, but to the rich folks with that have billions it becomes important, and this is the reason most rich people don't use Android. Even if they do, the ones that are wise don't put their vital infos on their Android. Just because u are using psiphon or other tweaking softwares don't mean u are not being spied, u are not being attacked because u don't have nothing that can be stolen by these hackers.

Research has shown that 87% of Android phones are prone to attack. Main reason being that more than 90% of Android phones out right now are not running the latest software. Each software update comes with security patch. U can imagine in 2016 some Android OEMs are still making phones running lollipop, most of the phones released in 2014 are still running KitKat, something that doesn't happen on iOS. Like I said, for a common man it doesn't matter, but for a billionaire, it matters a lot. This is the reason celebrities and people that actually matter hardly use Android. FACT.

3 Likes

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by bobo65(m): 11:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
Iphone 1gb ram is equal to android 3gb ram

Lemme just say that one

1 Like

Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by KCode: 12:45am On Feb 25, 2016
The war between these 2 has been on for long and iOS always edges Android. There's a reason Apple has a giant slice of the market share. As far as am concerned Android trails. But there's no denying the limit with which Android can go.
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Toppytek(m): 6:44am On Feb 25, 2016
greenhulk:

Actually Android are more prone to attack by hackers because of non uniformity in releasing updates, and this so called 'techy' is the main reason most hackers target Android rather than ios, Windows and BlackBerry. Android users can install all sorts of jargons that are not from the play store, some of them have phishing and spying softwares embedded. To u and me it might not mean anything, but to the rich folks with that have billions it becomes important, and this is the reason most rich people don't use Android. Even if they do, the ones that are wise don't put their vital infos on their Android. Just because u are using psiphon or other tweaking softwares don't mean u are not being spied, u are not being attacked because u don't have nothing that can be stolen by these hackers.

Research has shown that 87% of Android phones are prone to attack. Main reason being that more than 90% of Android phones out right now are not running the latest software. Each software update comes with security patch. U can imagine in 2016 some Android OEMs are still making phones running lollipop, most of the phones released in 2014 are still running KitKat, something that doesn't happen on iOS. Like I said, for a common man it doesn't matter, but for a billionaire, it matters a lot. This is the reason celebrities and people that actually matter hardly use Android. FACT.
well u might be right to some extent but not all celebrities use iPhone also it depends on the country u are... For example in the UK most people use android compare to the USA where iPhone is really dominating... Concerning the hacking of a thing and viruses I think it depends on the brand of the phone u are using... High end products lik Sony ... Samsung... HTC... Nexus.. Etc might be barely affected by virus except they're are clones and u can hardly tweak them.. For me I don't download from other websites except play store and I don't tweak if not for imei tweaking that is possible to carry out on mediatek phones.. I'm saying here that iPhone isn't good but I still prefer android to iPhone for reasons best known to other high end android users
Re: New Study Shines Light On One Of The Iphone’s Biggest Advantages Over Android by Nobody: 7:35am On Feb 26, 2016
bobo65:
Iphone 1gb ram is equal to android 3gb ram

Lemme just say that one
yet the original iPad air ant do split screen multitasking becoz it only has 1gb of ram.don't get it twisted ram=better multitasking and CPU,GPU power plus software optimizations help the device perform the way it does

(1) (Reply)

Get Etisalat Free 200MB Without Downloading My Etisalat Application / Meet Tecno Spark Crew And Your Favourite Artists Today. / Chinese Version Android Stuck On 2g

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.