Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami (28477 Views)

Access Bank Plc Salary Structure: How Much Does Access Bank Pay Staff? / Massive Sack At Zenith Bank Plc Over The Weekend. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by naijaboy756: 10:39am On Jan 18, 2016
Another April 2nd approaches.. From an in-house source,it is a ritual in Diamond Bank. They call it TSUNAMI. I heard it is an annual exercise. That is a sad day that many are advised to resign. My friend has a very bad experience about it. This is someone that is a very smart and hard worker, very intelligent individual, whose last annual appraisal was about 88.8%,has not committed any fraud, had no query in his human resources file, gave his life to the job only to be locked out of the system and his boss called to tell him to resign WITHOUT any reason(@ least known to any). The irony of this exercise is that it can affect anyone. This wicked act also has a ripple effect on future job search for the sacked staff. My friend has been faced with the dilemma of explaining why he was asked to resign. He answers that it is a mystery. This unconvincing answer make him loose jobs. And the truth is that he doesn't know why he was sacked. That's double tragedy and has left him devasted.. What can he be telling them as the reason for his sack? Pls note that no fraud was committed, appraisal was very ok.
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by abimbawealth(f): 10:42am On Jan 18, 2016
Oh
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by naijaboy756: 10:45am On Jan 18, 2016
abimbawealth:
Oh
he should tell them oh? cheesy
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by abimbawealth(f): 10:48am On Jan 18, 2016
naijaboy756:
he should tell them oh? cheesy
Yesna grin
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by naijaboy756: 10:50am On Jan 18, 2016
abimbawealth:

Yesna grin
abeg be serious na grin
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by abimbawealth(f): 10:58am On Jan 18, 2016
naijaboy756:
abeg be serious na grin
Who seriousness don help?

13 Likes

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by naijaboy756: 11:01am On Jan 18, 2016
abimbawealth:

Who seriousness don help?
so if dem ask him why did you leave Diamond Bank, he will answer *oh*
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by abimbawealth(f): 11:04am On Jan 18, 2016
naijaboy756:
so if dem ask him why did you leave Diamond Bank, he will answer *oh*
Kidding tho...
But on a serious note there's no reason to point at, he should just find his way around the question, next time

Someone else may have a reasonable answer for him *modified* you see what I meant? Shameseun is here
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by shameseun: 11:05am On Jan 18, 2016
Some times there is no just reason for that on the part of the affected staff. But to the company, there must be a justifiable reason.

In most cases, it is Cost Cutting Measures. As they are sacking the experienced ones, the recruitment for contract/inexperienced staff that can take peanuts is ongoing.

The truth is that, the business environment is hostile presently. So the obvious reason is Cost/overhead management as a result of economic meltdown

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by naijaboy756: 11:15am On Jan 18, 2016
shameseun:
Some times there is no just reason for that on the part of the affected staff. But to the company, there must be a justifiable reason.

In most cases, it is Cost Cutting Measures. As they are sacking the experienced ones, the recruitment for contract/inexperienced staff that can take peanuts is ongoing.

The truth is that, the business environment is hostile presently. So the obvious reason is Cost/overhead management as a result of economic meltdown
the worst part of the wickedness is he wasn't paid a kobo after about 4 years of service
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by naijaboy756: 11:35am On Jan 18, 2016
Cc: lalasticlala FP.. Pls assist as the guy is in a dilemma and needs urgent help cum ideas from Nairalanders...
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by shameseun: 11:55am On Jan 18, 2016
naijaboy756:
the worst part of the wickedness is he wasn't paid a kobo after about 4 years of service

So sad, especially after working with all you've got.

Truth be told, Banks are under serious pressure. The reason they are diplomatic in sacking is because of the signal it sends. Banks are still window-dressing because Banking is like 419 business where you access your banker before commencing business.
Buhari did not think bank is very sensitive before mandating immediate TSA implementation that has been on for years. Now the little public fund they enjoy float on has been taken away. Not that l support their inability to do real banking business in Nigeria. The gospel truth is that they do robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Could it not have made more economic sense if Buhari had directed an audit to know the amount each bank controls, and then mandate them to remit a certain percentage, and also reduce their interest rate so that masses can get low cost loans for businesses.

He did it his own way and the economy is crumbling. He promised around 2million jobs annually and people are losing jobs on daily basis. His boy Okoro mallam of Imo state just sacked over 3,000 civil servants recently. Barely one week after FG had pleaded with the private sector not to sack workers now.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by naijaboy756: 11:59am On Jan 18, 2016
shameseun:

So sad, especially after working with all you've got.

Truth be told, Banks are under serious pressure. The reason they are diplomatic in sacking is because of the signal it sends. Banks are still window-dressing because Banking is like 419 business where you access your banker before commencing business.
Buhari did not think bank is very sensitive before mandating immediate TSA implementation that has been on for years. Now the little public fund they enjoy float on has been taken away. Not that l support their inability to do real banking business in Nigeria. The gospel truth is that they do robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Could it not have made more economic sense if Buhari had directed an audit to know the amount each bank controls, and then mandate them to remit a certain percentage, and also reduce their interest rate so that masses can get low cost loans for businesses.

He did it his own way and the economy is crumbling. He promised around 2million jobs annually and people are losing jobs on daily basis. His boy Okoro mallam of Imo state just sacked over 3,000 civil servants recently. Barely one week after FG had pleaded with the private sector not to sack workers now.

I feel it is high time we started to look for ways to survive. Government has always failed..

16 Likes

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by looseweight: 12:05pm On Jan 18, 2016
I really pity the guy in question. However, every banker should know that he/she can be sacked @ any time. So you need to prepare for the worst. Saving part of your income will really help you to have something to rely on if sacked.

You don't pack your eggs in one basket.

1 Like

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by tunwumi: 12:06pm On Jan 18, 2016
@topic lol
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 18, 2016
ok
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by koxi: 12:06pm On Jan 18, 2016
Na wa
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by ifeelgood: 12:07pm On Jan 18, 2016
My son dont forget this. "Nothing works for ever". Not even your JOB.

2 Likes

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by Swaggzkid: 12:09pm On Jan 18, 2016
Diamond bank na OLE dem be.

Everything about diamond bank is just a replica of MTN short and simple.

In other words am patronising both companies.
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by nwekeg: 12:09pm On Jan 18, 2016
..kk
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by zopaks: 12:09pm On Jan 18, 2016
wow!
The job losses in this past 6 months has been super alarming.
The tsunami reminds me of those days in UI where students who fail to meet up with the minimum cgpa are sent packing
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 18, 2016
He should tell them he was let go in a
''mass downsizing exercise''.

I do not see how this is difficult to explain. Does his termination letter say he did anything wrong?
Best option is for him to start a business IF HE HAS SOME SAVINGS. The problem with being a banker is everything is available as a loan and your salary is practically mortgaged. Car loan, House Hold Appliance Loan, Laptop Loan (Yes! I am not joking), Housing Loan, Holiday Loan, Kids School Fees Loan, etc. etc.
I never liked the life of a being a banker in Nigeria. I left the moment I had the opportunity. We worked even up till Saturday back then (Saturday Banking) and our life was all about:
Targets/Marketing
Shortage
Overage
Till and Balancing/Zeroing your Cash Account
How to look good at work.

We had no time to develop ourselves or diversify our skills. Where is the time to go for that course or that professional certificate exam? The banks will only send you on courses they think will benefit their business. Training then was mainly scheduled in the early and late parts of every year. I feel I was lucky to be in Aba at the Ariaria market branch of the bank I worked for. I saw INDUSTRIOUS YOUNG MEN who were into everything in the ARIARIA INTERNATIONAL MARKET. I sharpened my business skills from some of these ordinary looking young Ibo guys who had millions in their accounts. Some even took loans from our branch. We marketed them and chased them about as prospects for facilities to meet our targets. These were ordinary looking young men, but getting their cash or partnering with their business through loans would either make or break our jobs. ''WHY NOT BE LIKE THESE GUYS'' I thought. Their level of commitment opened my eyes to the business world.

When you are let go in most of these banks you are hardly paid anything for severance. Unless you are leaving at some managerial level I think. The bank should be temporary for youths. If you get in, have a valid plan to get out as soon as possible. If you are taking a loan make sure it is for a business venture (which is difficult because the banks do not provide this type of loan for their staff) you will have to partner with an outsider to source for this.

SHORTLY PUT, BE THERE, DO YOUR JOB WELL, GATHER THE SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE AND HAVE AN EXIT PLAN

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by ayindepremier: 12:09pm On Jan 18, 2016
and one mofo was quoting me upandan when I said bank job is a modern day slavery!!

I had worked in a bank before and I can say is, I went their to learn, add value and improve my C.V!

don't fool yourself thinking banks are Kind Samaritans, they're only there to make money and nothing more! They give no bleep about your f.ucking career!

I repeat, DO NOT MISINTERPRET BANK WORK WITH A SECURED JOB!!!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by ossaisly(m): 12:10pm On Jan 18, 2016
One foolish morning, a bank would just ask workers to resign just like that? Na wa o.
But if I may ask, is this a new banking practise? Whether yes or no, is the regulatory body i.e CBN aware of this wicked practise?

If it is true, maybe I should say thunder should that inhuman diamond bank. Maybe sha.
Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by Nova15: 12:10pm On Jan 18, 2016
He was asked to resign by the bank which he did. So that technically means he resigned.
So how did his interviewers know that he was asked to resign from the bank?

5 Likes

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by eluquenson(m): 12:10pm On Jan 18, 2016
2016 will be a tough year for Nigeria economy and the globe. The global economy is challenged with so many issues and Nigeria Banking industry will never be left out, Banker's prayers is to survive June 2016 as a banker.

We bankers/bank workers should look for exit route before they how us oh
na wao undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by kingobozy: 12:11pm On Jan 18, 2016
I totally understand his plight and trepidations. My Dad also experienced the same thing with Zenith bank.
Truth is that there is no job security anywhere. No matter your managerial position or impressive track record you still face a very intimidating possibility of being laid off in certain circumstances irrespective of if you're at fault or not. Dedication is no longer a regarded trait in Work places instead Man Know Men, Bottom Power and Office politics is the new game play. That my friend is the harsh reality of the Outside world.

2 Likes

Re: Diamond Bank PLC: Annual Tsunami by dannewlife(m): 12:11pm On Jan 18, 2016
He should tell them that he was sacked by Diamond tsunami
. Shekena !

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Your Experience As A 3rd Class Graduate / Talent Is Better Than Education / Nurse Sacked For Preaching To Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.