Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,865 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. (2601 Views)

Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2013/2014 / Premier League Games Live Online / HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by biina: 2:34am On Jun 23, 2009
ESPN, the sports television channel controlled by Walt Disney, last night broke into the lucrative market to show live English Premier League football.

In a move that will pitch it against Rupert Murdoch's British Sky Broadcasting, ESPN was awarded the rights to show football matches previously held by Setanta, the Irish pay-TV broadcaster on the brink of administration.

ESPN has gained the rights to broadcast 46 live games in the coming season, and 23 matches in each of the three years to 2012-13.

Full story http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/656e1c98-5f8d-11de-93d1-00144feabdc0.html
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by FBS: 6:31am On Jun 23, 2009
WHAT IT MEANS TO YOU
-ESPN's matches will be available on BSkyB
-You will pay an extra amount for the ESPN matches
-Games likely to be on a new branded ESPN channel - separate from the existing ESPN Classic and ESPN America
-ESPN wants it on platforms other than BSkyB, and is in talks with Virgin Media and BT Vision

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8113702.stm
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Nobody: 7:48am On Jun 23, 2009
FBS,
Abeg,I'd like to know.
Setanta doesn't have a great deal of games to broadcast if I'm correct.I wouldn't think it would be a wise move for them (ESPN)to float a separate station just for a handful of games.
Please educate me.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 11:41am On Jun 23, 2009
Eastbay:

FBS,
Abeg,I'd like to know.
Setanta doesn't have a great deal of games to broadcast if I'm correct.I wouldn't think it would be a wise move for them (ESPN)to float a separate station just for a handful of games.
Please educate me.

The FA sells 138 LIVE league matches to TV every season.
SKYSPORTS used to beam the whole 138 games with 92 games on the normal SKYSPORTS channels and 46 games on PREMPLUS.
Then there were some peops who didn't like SKY's monopoly and they were asked to let other TV stations bid for the 46 games on PREMPLUS.
Setanta won the bid and has been showing those 46 league games(late kick-off on saturdays/monday night matches). . . . .
Unfortunately, Setanta failed to come up with the money to buy next season's games so ESPN have taken their place.

To be honest, Setanta Sports are a pile of self-service. . . . .Their TV analysts are quack and their presentation is rubbish compared to SKY.
Steve McManaman is so biased towards Liverpool he doesn't hide it and the way he tele-fellates on Gerrard is so irritating to me.
I am chuffed to bits they won't be airing any LIVE GAME next season, good riddance to bad rubbish.
On the other hand, my subscription to them won't expire until November and i won't get a refund. cry cry cry cry cry cry
Besides, what is to say ESPN won't be worse than Setanta?? I hate American accents in Football games.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by HNIC(m): 1:46pm On Jun 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

Besides, what is to say ESPN won't be worse than Setanta?? I hate American accents in Football games.

When you were dissing setanta, I wanted to say that you should wait for those silly Americans when they start analysing footie.
Is it just the American accent or Pronounciation of names and clubs?
Ajax instead of[i] Ayax[/i] grin angry angry
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Kx: 2:05pm On Jun 23, 2009
HNIC:

When you were dissing setanta, I wanted to say that you should wait for those silly Americans when they start analysing footie.
Is it just the American accent or Pronounciation of names and clubs?

Not really.ESPN analysts aint that bad.
Matter of fact,to me,Tommy smith is my best analyst anytime anyday.

Pls what about the nigerian side of it.
Ist still HITV or SS this season?
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 2:41pm On Jun 23, 2009
HNIC:

Then UK viewers are in trouble. . . . . . .

ESPN will even be worse than Setanta Sports.
What do Americans know about football?
Someone said Tommy Smith is his best analyst. . . . .Hold your breath till you see Andy Gray or Martin Tyler.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by MrCrackles(m): 2:49pm On Jun 23, 2009
I love American accents in soccer analysis actually!

~Sauron~:

Then UK viewers are in trouble. . . . . . .
ESPN will even be worse than Setanta Sports.

No trouble here Sharo-Wiwa
ESPN is better than Setanta
Setanta is absolutely crap and i am sure ESPN will do better tongue
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 2:56pm On Jun 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

I love American accents in soccer analysis actually!

American accents with the way they stress "r"?
They are a pile of self-service. . . . . .They cannot pronounce the European way.
Vidic=/Vi-ditch/ will become /Vi-deek/

No trouble here Sharo-Wiwa
ESPN is better than Setanta
Setanta is absolutely crap and i am sure ESPN will do better tongue

How do you know ESPN will be better than Setanta?
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by MrCrackles(m): 3:03pm On Jun 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

American accents with the way they stress "r"?
They are a pile of self-service. . . . . .They cannot pronounce the European way.
Vidic=/Vi-ditch/ will become /Vi-deek/

Is pronunciation of names crucial to you enjoying a football game? shocked grin tongue

~Sauron~:

How do you know ESPN will be better than Setanta?

I know because Setanta have crap analysts on thier rota
Setanta is not in the same league in terms of sports broadcasting compared to ESPN in terms of experience and financial muscle! grin
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 3:07pm On Jun 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

Is pronunciation of names crucial to you enjoying a football game? shocked grin tongue

Yes it does. . . . . .This is why you will never catch me watching football with Arabic commentaries.
How can i be paying so much for crap?
Well, i don't blame you. . . . . .Your SKY subscription expired since 2004(the last time Arsenal won the league) grin grin grin

I know because Setanta have crap analysts on thier rota
Setanta is not in the same league in terms of sports broadcasting compared to ESPN in terms of experience and financial muscle! grin

It's not about experience or financial muscle. . . . . .It is about the analysts invited to do justice to league games.
Look at Jamie Carragher. . . .when did he join SKYSPORTS? He has been superb since he joined and i would take him ahead of those idiots on BBC Sports and ITV.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by MrCrackles(m): 3:14pm On Jun 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

Well, i don't blame you. . . . . .Your SKY subscription expired since 2004(the last time Arsenal won the league) grin grin grin

The bar level on my skysport subscriptions shoots through into heaven! grin cheesy
Arsenal will win the league this season! shocked grin cheesy

~Sauron~:

Look at Jamie Carragher. . . .when did he join SKYSPORTS? He has been superb since he joined and i would take him ahead of those idiots on BBC Sports and ITV.

Believe me, ESPN will do better than Setanta
Setanta is low budget, it is like NTA Sports Analyst compared to Supersports Analysts in Africa
The Nigerian game was on some NTA last wkd, i flicked through to check the scores and i was sick as a dog because of the idiot commentating! embarassed
ESPN wont top SKY, but will do better than Setan-trash!
They will try and make some improvements as a result of the new terrain they have found themselves in, trust me
I just want to see what changes are going to be implemented in readiness for the footy season! cheesy
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 3:26pm On Jun 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

The bar level on my skysport subscriptions shoots through into heaven! grin cheesy
Arsenal will win the league this season! shocked grin cheesy

Debosky and Dr. Kit have been saying the same thing since i joined NL. grin grin grin
Arsenal fans have never celebrated a league victory on this forum and a school of thunks believe it will never happen. grin

Believe me, ESPN will do better than Setanta
Setanta is low budget, it is like NTA Sports Analyst compared to Supersports Analysts in Africa
The Nigerian game was on some NTA last wkd, i flicked through to check the scores and i was sick as a dog because of the idiot commentating! embarassed
ESPN wont top SKY, but will do better than Setan-trash!
They will try and make some improvements as a result of the new terrain they have found themselves in, trust me
I just want to see what changes are going to be implemented in readiness for the footy season! cheesy

Setanta is low budget but they have been doing great in North America ever since.
It's just that the idiots they bring on TV don't know nowt about football like Richard Keys or Andy Gray.

How can u compare the Nigerian commentators to the pundits on SuperSports??
SuperSports ain't a Terrestrial channel, NTA are.

ESPN might end up like Setanta. . . . . .Setanta also found themselves in a comfort zone when they won the bid in 2007/8 season.
They couldn't hold up because of the recession. . . . .ESPN might follow suit.
Abeg, the FA should leave SKYSPORTS' monopoly alone. . . . .I want good value for ma money, i don't care about monopoly.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by MrCrackles(m): 3:31pm On Jun 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

ESPN might end up like Setanta. . . . . .Setanta also found themselves in a comfort zone when they won the bid in 2007/8 season.
Abeg, the FA should leave SKYSPORTS' monopoly alone. . . . .I want good value for ma money, i don't care about monopoly.

In a way, i agree SKY should hold the sole rights!
I dont think anyone can do it better
ESPN wont fold like that, trust me, they are well grounded!

~Sauron~:

Yeah i know, i was just trying to compare sport analysts! grin
NTA should stick to NTA News or whatever they are reputed for! grin

~Sauron~:

Debosky and Dr. Kit have been saying the same thing since i joined NL. grin grin grin
Arsenal fans have never celebrated a league victory on this forum and a school of thunks believe it will never happen. grin

Arsenal will win the title Sharon, dont worry!
And to smack the flaks back in your face, we might even do it again at OT! tongue grin cheesy
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 3:43pm On Jun 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

In a way, i agree SKY should hold the sole rights!
I dont think anyone can do it better
ESPN wont fold like that, trust me, they are well grounded!

Time will tell. . . . .tick-tock-tick-tock.

Yeah i know, i was just trying to compare sport analysts! grin
NTA should stick to NTA News or whatever they are reputed for! grin

Naija analysts are sick to the brain.
They commentate 20 secs after an incident musta happened plus they don't give incisive background on players or managers.
I normally turn the volume down when i am watching matches on NTA. . . .It's not worth it. grin

Arsenal will win the title Sharon, dont worry!
And to smack the flaks back in your face, we might even do it again at OT! tongue grin cheesy

Crashy, just win it.
I don't care if you do it at the White House or on top of Kilimanjaro, just WIN the league title.
Sauron is tired of taking the piss on Debosky, Kit, Mukina and MrCattles. grin
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by eldee(m): 4:43pm On Jun 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

Setanta is low budget but they have been doing great in North America ever since.
It's just that the idiots they bring on TV don't know nowt about football like Richard Keys or Andy Gray.

How can u compare the Nigerian commentators to the pundits on SuperSports??

Come on . . . you do know you can't compare ESPN to Setanta
ESPN is a real brand, Setanta was made for the EPL, I watch Presspass on ESPN and it's not that bad

Besides they've go money to employ coaches and retired footballers for analysis
I've seen Ruud Gullit and many other top class coaches there . . . that's a winning recipe, not Ray Parlour and Steve Mcmanaman
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by biina: 6:22pm On Jun 23, 2009
Me I dont like monopolies. There should be two providers for every region. One for the key matches, and another for the [i]dugbe [/i]ones.
Competition keeps everyone on their toes. The concept of good, better or worse, are only valid when you have something to compare to.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 6:47pm On Jun 23, 2009
biina:

Me I dont like monopolies. There should be two providers for every region. One for the key matches, and another for the [i]dugbe [/i]ones.
Competition keeps everyone on their toes. The concept of good, better or worse, are only valid when you have something to compare to.

I beg to differ. . . . . .

Man Utd games are shown more on TV and once they miss the early kick-off at 12.45pm on Saturday. . . .then it's 5.30pm on crappy TV stations.
I remember the Villa game on Sunday 4.00 pm and the Porto game barely 48 hours later.
If there were no Setanta Sports, SKYSPORTS woulda re-arranged the game to be played 5.30pm on Saturday evening instead of 4pm on Sunday.
Big clubs who have engagements in the Premiership and the UCL suffer the wrath of TV stations haggling about which games to show.
The issue of monopoly should be put to bed. . .Setanta was used an experiment and they failed woefully. . .They have now gone into administration,
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by A40(m): 7:02pm On Jun 23, 2009
This is nice hopefully we get to see more crisp analysis from Tommy,Derek,Shaka,Robert and Janusz they have been analysing other leagues for too long.Don't know who would be analysing these games but i hope its them

@Sauron
ESPN fold up? Hahaha it would be easier for you to pound yam with a syringe. . .
They don't call em the Worldwide Leader in Sports for nothing
I think you should watch some Soccernet Press Pass those dudes do know their onions
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 7:06pm On Jun 23, 2009
A-40:

@Sauron
ESPN fold up? Hahaha it would be easier for you to pound yam with a syringe. . .
They don't call em the Worldwide Leader in Sports for nothing
I think you should watch some Soccernet Press Pass those dudes do know their onions

Worldwide leader in SPORTS is different from Worldwide leader in FOOTBALL.
If you see a PL game on SKYSPORTS, U would be convinced no one can touch SKYSPORTS as far as the Premiership games are concerned.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by A40(m): 7:34pm On Jun 23, 2009
@Sauron
I didn't say ESPN would top Sky in EPL coverage same way as i would not expect anyone to tell me Sky would top ESPN in an NBA or NFL game broadcast what i'm trying to tell you is they are good and bring out the best in whatever they do and they certainly wouldn't go the Setanta route they have too much cash and manpower
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 7:37pm On Jun 23, 2009
A-40:

@Sauron
I didn't say ESPN would top Sky in EPL coverage same way as i would not expect anyone to tell me Sky would top ESPN in an NBA or NFL game broadcast what i'm trying to tell you is they are good and bring out the best in whatever they do and they certainly wouldn't go the Setanta route they have too much cash and manpower

Noted. . . . .

But ma point is. . . . .If ESPN cannot do better than SKY, why bring em aboard in the first place.
Why pay ESPN to watch live games when SKY can do 1% better than ESPN?
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by A40(m): 7:57pm On Jun 23, 2009
@Sauron
Simple! They probably want to tap into the vast North American market not too many people do Sky at the other end of the pond.The Prem ain't exactly a big deal to them they have MLB,NBA,NFL and NHL to worry about

Plus its all about the cash,pesos argent and dinheiros which ESPN have plenty of
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by FBS: 8:01pm On Jun 23, 2009
I watch GOlTV and me thinks they have the best commentator in Ray Hudson. The guy is second to none.
As regards ESPN, well except the hire British guys who understand that football ain't soccer and that the EPL is as good as a way of life, me thinks they can't do much to surpass Setanta. Plus, damn its very strange to me when these Americans anaylse soccer.
ME just try not to listen at all.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by A40(m): 8:12pm On Jun 23, 2009
I'm sure they would probably strike a balance because they would have their international audience in mind and also their North American audience
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by mbulela: 8:39pm On Jun 23, 2009
Macca (Steve McManaman) is not bad at all.he is not without intelligence - a rarer commodity in football studios than it should be.

the major problem of Setanta is a lack of content outside the EPL games. as much as their are mad football fans, their number is not enough to sustain a channel without other drawing factors (i am looking at you HITV). that in my view was the singular most important factor why Setanta failed.

eldee:

Come on . . . you do know you can't compare ESPN to Setanta
ESPN is a real brand, Setanta was made for the EPL, I watch Presspass on ESPN and it's not that bad

Besides they've go money to employ coaches and retired footballers for analysis
I've seen Ruud Gullit and many other top class coaches there . . . that's a winning recipe, not Ray Parlour and Steve Mcmanaman
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by mbulela: 8:48pm On Jun 23, 2009
i wish Sky will just replace Jamie Redknapp with McManaman. Redknapp is awful (the exact words running through my mind are unprintable).his tired cliches are horrible and in his eyes, his cousin can do no wrong.

in my view the best pundit is James Richardson. very broad view, insightful comments and extremely witty.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by davidif: 9:22am On Jun 24, 2009
This is the best news that one has heard in a while.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 24, 2009
I expect ESPN/SKY to add another ESPN channel. I dont think ESPN classic will cater to the EPL.

Good to see the back of Setanta.
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by eldee(m): 2:20pm On Jun 24, 2009
A-40:

@Sauron
Simple! They probably want to tap into the vast North American market not too many people do Sky at the other end of the pond.The Prem ain't exactly a big deal to them they have MLB,NBA,NFL and NHL to worry about

Plus its all about the cash,pesos argent and dinheiros which ESPN have plenty of
I beg to differ . . . the rights are limited to the UK and probably Scotland
Fox Sports own the rights in the States . . . it's business as usual at that end of the pond.

mbulela:

Macca (Steve McManaman) is not bad at all.he is not without intelligence - a rarer commodity in football studios than it should be.

the major problem of Setanta is a lack of content outside the EPL games. as much as their are mad football fans, their number is not enough to sustain a channel without other drawing factors (i am looking at you HITV). that in my view was the singular most important factor why Setanta failed.

Setanta failed because of the global economic meltdown . . . simple
Getting viewers was not a problem, they had the FA Cup, England's Away fixtures, for sometime they had control over England's highlights . . . they had us feeding off their hands.
I even forgot to mention the French League and the SPL

But as many other businesses, they couldn't restructure their loans mainly because banks were not willing to lend, so they lost EPL and SPL. . . the rest was a downward spiral from then.

~Sauron~:

Noted. . . . .

But ma point is. . . . .If ESPN cannot do better than SKY, why bring em aboard in the first place.
Why pay ESPN to watch live games when SKY can do 1% better than ESPN?
Monopoly is bad for any industry . . . Rupert Murdock had to sell his shares in ITV to ensure competition remained
Competition helped to provide motivation for Sky to make their work better
Can you count how many invite friends and get £50 deals you saw during 24's ad breaks??
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by Sauron1: 2:30pm On Jun 24, 2009
eldee:

Setanta failed because of the global economic meltdown . . . simple
Getting viewers was not a problem, they had the FA Cup, England's Away fixtures, for sometime they had control over England's highlights . . . they had us feeding off their hands.
I even forgot to mention the French League and the SPL

U can also add the Eredivisie to them.
At the end of the day, SKY is responsible for crashing them down.
As much as UK residents love football, most of them refused to subscribe to Setanta Sports.
One thing about Britz, they are very resistant to CHANGE.

But as many other businesses, they couldn't restructure their loans mainly because banks were not willing to lend, so they lost EPL and SPL. . . the rest was a downward spiral from then.

They have gone into administration now. . . . . .Over 400 jobs were lost. . . .
I feel for those kikes working with them.

Monopoly is bad for any industry . . . Rupert Murdock had to sell his shares in ITV to ensure competition remained
Competition helped to provide motivation for Sky to make their work better
Can you count how many invite friends and get £50 deals you saw during 24's ad breaks??

At the end of the day. . . . . .It was SKY that came out to break barriers in 1992.
They took risks too and they are now enjoying the fruits of their labour.
Monopoly is bullshit and ITV should be scrapped. . . . . .Remember what happened during Everton/Liverpool FA cup game.
The only goal was missed by ITV cos they were doing moronic commercial during a LIVE game.
Many viewers are sued and The Watchdogs are still probing. . . . .For the sake of QUALITY viewing, Bleep MONOPOLY!!!
Re: ESPN Wins Rights To Premier League Games, Setanta Loses Out. by eldee(m): 3:14pm On Jun 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

U can also add the Eredivisie to them.
At the end of the day, SKY is responsible for crashing them down.
As much as UK residents love football, most of them refused to subscribe to Setanta Sports.
One thing about Britz, they are very resistant to CHANGE.

I think it was just the wrong time to land a major contract
How can you say they didn't get enough viewers?? These people were gradually gaining ground
Any other year that's not 2009, they'll have arranged a loan to get the £30mil ASAP
Do you know how many banks woulda been willing to help them out in 2005??
You seem to forget that the first season is always rough, ask HiTV in Nigeria

~Sauron~:

At the end of the day. . . . . .It was SKY that came out to break barriers in 1992.
They took risks too and they are now enjoying the fruits of their labour.
Monopoly is bullshit and ITV should be scrapped. . . . . .Remember what happened during Everton/Liverpool FA cup game.
The only goal was missed by ITV cos they were doing moronic commercial during a LIVE game.
Many viewers are sued and The Watchdogs are still probing. . . . .For the sake of QUALITY viewing, Bleep MONOPOLY!!!

Lol . . . its Rupert Murdoch, he's got more power in the UK than the Prime Minister and the whole House of Commons put together
You're only talking like this because you've got £50 to pay every month, think of those manual workers in Newcastle . . . they'll prolly never agree with you.
They'll prefer to sit in pubs and not listen to Andy Gray

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mosseuir Wenger's Race Fight With The English: Can He Survive This? / Photo: Ronaldo And Bale Spotted Going To Training Together / Man United(0) Vs Arsenal(0) On Saturday May 16th

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.