Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League (6222 Views)

Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2013/2014 / The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria / Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by inoo(m): 8:43am On Feb 02, 2007
Hitv Breaks Dstv Monopoly, A Good Score For Nigeria Entrepreneurs

Monopoly in Nigeria’s pay-television industry hitherto enjoyed by South Africa’s Multic-hoice, owners of DSTV, was finally broken yesterday when an indigenous firm, Enterta-inment Highway Limited (HITV), began commercial broadcast in Lagos. Minister of Information and Communications, Mr. Frank Nweke (Jnr), who was the special guest at the launch also described as “ridiculous, exploitative and unacceptable”, a situation where Nigerians pay the highest rate for Pay-TV services in any part of the world.

HITV is a wireless digital terrestrial platform that has no limit on the channels it can broadcast and is starting with 24 channels including CNN, BBC World, LBC International, Al Jazeera, God Africa, MTV Base, Fox Sports and Nicke-lodeon. It also has specially created channels like Hi-Sports, Hi-Ovation, Hi-Nolly, Nigezie, Hi-KIDS, Hi-Mix and Hi-Biz.

The direct-to-home entertainment service provider, HITV, made history late last year when it won the right to broadcast English Premier League (EPL) to its Nigerian subscribers. The implication of this is that from August, South Africa’s DSTV would no longer broadcast EPL to its Nigerian subscribers. The company already has rights to broadcast other football leagues including La Liga, Spanish League, Euro 2008 qualifiers, among others.

The Managing Director/Chef Executive Officer of HITV, Mr. Toyin Subair said at the launch that “the achievement of HITV is nothing to be boastful about, but seen as tool to create value, develop the minds of Nigerians and to sell Nigeria’s uniqueness to the world.”

A good Score for Nigerians Entrepreneurs
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by naijacutee(f): 1:12pm On Feb 02, 2007
Wow, That is such a great breakthrough! I'm proud of these people. . . Hopefully their prices would be moderate seeing that DSTV has overcharged people for too long. One question though - Would their services be restricted to Nigeria (and it's environs?) only or would it be accesible to the rest of Africa?

Have you got a website for them?
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by inoo(m): 2:48pm On Feb 02, 2007
I do not hv their modus operandi/web address yet , wil update asap
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by LoverBwoy(m): 8:05pm On Feb 02, 2007
Minister of Information and Communications, Mr. Frank Nweke (Jnr), who was the special guest at the launch also described as “ridiculous, exploitative and unacceptable”, a situation where Nigerians pay the highest rate for Pay-TV services in any part of the world.

yea this guy is as dumb as ever, common sense he doesnt have, you sell someone license and he happens to be the only one providing the service- he will charge any bloody amount he wants duhhhh no competition whatsoever!

Yea Good Job HITV, hope they grow to other parts of Nigeria and Africa, I wonder why south africa companies always have more support from their banks and government and nigerian companies just.  .  .   . undecided
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by LoverBwoy(m): 8:27pm On Feb 02, 2007
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by otokx(m): 8:30pm On Feb 02, 2007
I wonder what mytvafrica and trendtv are doing; but we should not count our chicks before they are hatched.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by naijacutee(f): 9:06pm On Feb 02, 2007
Loverbwoy, that site looks tasty! I can't wait already!!!
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by LoverBwoy(m): 2:52am On Feb 04, 2007
yea it looks quite promising, like most things in Nigeria there's "potential"
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Seun(m): 5:14pm On Feb 04, 2007
Congratulations to HITV on "breaking" a monopoly that never existed.
TrendTV and others have been doing this for a while, so why are these ones making noise?
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by inoo(m): 4:49am On Feb 05, 2007
Seun:

Congratulations to HITV on "breaking" a monopoly that never existed.
TrendTV and others have been doing this for a while, so why are these ones making noise?

Bross,

I thnk the Monopoly meant here is the right to broadcast English Premier League (EPL) 2Nigerian subscribers

though I still stand 2 b corrected
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by inoo(m): 8:01am On Feb 05, 2007
@seun shocked shocked shocked

Oga gomina or Sole Administrator

Nice 2 meet u, am honored as u can c, am very new in ur territory

big ups 2 u man wink wink
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Seun(m): 10:44am On Feb 05, 2007
The direct-to-home entertainment service provider, HITV, made history late last year when it won the right to broadcast English Premier League (EPL) to its Nigerian subscribers. The implication of this is that from August, South Africa’s DSTV would no longer broadcast EPL to its Nigerian subscribers.
You mean DSTV lost the right to broadcast the English Premier League in Nigeria?
What about those Nigerians who have invested a lot into their DSTV equipment? This is bad news for them!
They have "broken" the DSTV monopoly by establishing their own more monopoly. So the customer loses.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by stanech: 1:41pm On Feb 05, 2007
Seun:

You mean DSTV lost the right to broadcast the English Premier League in Nigeria?
What about those Nigerians who have invested a lot into their DSTV equipment? This is bad news for them!
They have "broken" the DSTV monopoly by establishing their own more monopoly. So the customer loses.

that is one thing we must correct in this country,

How can they just seize the licence of DSTV like that, and then these dude's take their fat tommy to oversies crying for foreign investors to come and invest. I don't know how much HITV gave to the minister for this rubbish decision and I don't know who took the decision but my brothers It is not fair.

Who gave the licence to DSTV in the first place?
And how many people uses HITV
What happens to those equipment we bought for DSTV
What happens to those equipment DSTV uses to operate in Nigeria
How good is the services of HITV

Men I must say that this is another example of the STUPID economic reforms of OBJ's administration 

Check out the fake site http://www.hientertainment.tv/

Still under construction
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by delarontus(f): 2:35pm On Feb 05, 2007
DSTV has so many channels so why are people fretting over the premiership? Moreover, the premiership is not exclusive to HITV so DSTV can still broadcast the same channel from other African countries.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by inoo(m): 8:40pm On Feb 05, 2007
we should b applauding the fed gov nd the Minister 4 this wise decision because the monopoly was broken in order to favor Nigerian entreprenuer nd i thk Hitv will work sumfin out with DSTV in order they dnt lose out
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by delarontus(f): 11:07am On Feb 06, 2007
I agree with inoo but Hitv does not have to collaborate with DSTV. It has promised to charge more affodable fees.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Razorr(f): 3:31pm On Feb 07, 2007
HITV is going to charge N3000. I heard this from a reliable source.
I'm gonna buy it soon as it is launched.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Razorr(f): 3:33pm On Feb 07, 2007
HITV is going to charge N3000. I heard this from a reliable source.
I'm going to buy it soon as it is launched.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Seun(m): 8:32am On Feb 11, 2007
DSTV has so many channels so why are people fretting over the premiership?
The Premier League is a major factor that drives the purchase of DSTV. Soccer fanatics need it.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by inoo(m): 2:33pm On Feb 11, 2007
@Seun

If what you mean is that Nigerian Soccer fanatics needs the entertainment, Yeah

But why not Nigerians(HiTV) benefit from the sales, y foreigners?

We should support our own businesses to grow into multi nationals too

charity they they say begins @home

Besides you sound as if u hv a stake in DSTV,
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Seun(m): 2:43pm On Feb 11, 2007
Because I won't want South Africans stealing a license I have in a similar manner.
(A man of integrity treats others as he would want and expect them to treat him.)

As long as DSTV is serving Nigerians like you and me, I see no problem with supporting them.
Think about those Nigerians who are customers of DSTV. How would they feel to lose the EPL?

HiTV can't have more than 50 employees, but DSTV customers are in the thousands.
Why should the government of Nigeria issue a directive that harms thousands for the benefit of 50 people?

How would you feel, as a soccer-loving DSTV subscriber, to be forced to get a new decoder and reciever?
How would you feel to be forced to subscribe to two different networks to recieve the same channels?
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by manu4laif: 11:43pm On Feb 19, 2007
I am a dstv subscriber and have been for close to 10 years now.I am happy with this new development and I'll explain.

6 years ago Nigeria offered GSM licences to 3 networks,MTN,ECONET(now CELTEL) and NITEL.For obvious reasons let us not even discuss Nitel.For 2 years the 2 Southern African networks bestrode the Nigerian terrain and licked the GSM booty .They paid for it ,so good.We also enjoyed the new found love/experience of GSM but it was not until Glo came on board that you could say the common man really began to benefit from this new era.That was when the benefits of GSM really trickled down.Now MTN easpecially has to sit up.Who benefits?The consumer!and by extension every other person.

The near monopoly of DSTV(at least over the EPL) has been really frustrating.To purchase a decoder costs close to 40k(single) or 70k PVR.Just like SIM packs were exhorbitant 5 years ago.Then they cost N20,000.Today?less than N500.

In spite of the love of the EPL in Nigeria how many people can boast of having DSTV at home or if they do how many can afford to pay for the monthly full bouquet which guarantees you the Prem.Folks how many.I swear DSTV decoders will crash to half the price in the next 2 years and they will still be making profit.Subscription amount will also crash and they won't fold up.Just like GSM companies have not yet folded up.

Monopoly is not good and Hitv will break that somewhat.Knowing where we are coming from they will make their prices affordable,like Glo.Unlike DSTV they will tend to be more populist in their pricing.And like Glo they will gain a lot of disenchanted subscribers who feel ripped off by high tariffs/outlay. Being Nigerian their errors will be more tolerated than that of a foreign firm.Good?Maybe not .But about time we begin to  sell the country to some Nigerians too.

I understand there was a bid for the EPL for Nigeria and HiTV  won.DSTV had previously lumped Nigeria as part of South Africa which the FG disagreed with.Fair is fair.

I think like the GSM companies who lost their market to Glo, if consumers had seen DSTV as friendly(especially with their pricing)the celebration of a new entrant will be less subdued.

I will buy HiTV.and I will not feel bad for DSTV.They will not collapse.N10200 monthly is a lot to pay for cable TV.Just like telecoms we will get to a point considered fair to all(consumer and investor).Then we'll move on.

For now though I am excited.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by kitaun(m): 3:42am On Feb 20, 2007
Brilliant post!!
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Razorr(f): 8:19am On Feb 20, 2007
Geez guys, can you imagine paying only 3000 naira a month for the same channels that we watch on DSTV?  cheesy
Its just too fantastic.
I'm so excited!   cheesy
And to top it all, I heard that the decoder would cost only 25,000 or 27,000 (I'm not so sure). My goodness, I get to watch my favourite channels, E and sports channels.    :-j

You can all say what you want, but I think this package is brilliant!   cheesy    cheesy
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by otoidea(m): 11:41pm On Feb 20, 2007
@razorr
u sure u avnt hooked 1 bobo from hitv thts leakin all this top secret info to u wink
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by LoverBwoy(m): 2:00am On Feb 21, 2007
hmm Don't you guys get locked unto 12months minimum subscription contracts with dtsv?  grin

Being Nigerian their errors will be more tolerated than that of a foreign firm
  cool

I heard they'll only be operating in Lagos for now  angry

When do they start, what channels have they got? WHO owns it? what is the koko?
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by inoo(m): 4:55am On Feb 21, 2007
@manu4laif

Perfect analogy, you are a true son of the Soil

10x so much 4d exceptional analysis
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Razorr(f): 8:13am On Feb 21, 2007
otoidea:

@razorr
u sure u avnt hooked 1 bobo from hitv thts leakin all this top secret info to u wink

I actually have! grin grin
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by delarontus(f): 9:03am On Feb 21, 2007
You are truly a 'Man U' fan. I love your simple analysis.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by otoidea(m): 10:29am On Feb 21, 2007
sharp grl
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Seun(m): 12:39pm On Feb 21, 2007
Monopoly is not good and Hitv will break that somewhat.
What you don't seem to realise is that HiTV itself is now a monopoly as far as the premier league is concerned.

Look, if I was interested, I could easily beat DSTV without stealing any license. DSTV is no monopoly.

Geez guys, can you imagine paying only 3000 naira a month for the same channels that we watch on DSTV?
That is impossible. HiTV cannot afford to charge 3,000 per month if they have all the channels we have on DSTV.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Razorr(f): 12:43pm On Feb 21, 2007
Seun, I got my info from a 100% reliable source.

No shaking!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Manchester City Vs Arsenal [0 - 3] On Sun. 24th October 2010 / Chelsea Vs Swansea (2 - 0) On 28th April 2013 / Whose Goal Celebration Do You Fancy Most

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.