Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? (699 Views)

Teaser Highlights The UI Changes Coming To The G6 / Is This Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:19pm On Jan 18, 2016
Now, we all know that if you weigh yourself on the moon, it is less than your weight on the earth.
And we all know why right? Yeah, one key word is "Gravity" and a few more things come to mind...

Can you think of something that "actually" weighs more on the moon than on the earth?

Okay Scientists, scientist-wannabes, and more.... Show me what you got.

It might be easy or it may take some thinking on your part..... *smiles*

So who's reasoned it out?
Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:55am On Jan 19, 2016
Hmm.... Seems no one wanna reason this out. Maybe I'll wait a little more before I provide clues or maybe the answer. *smiles*
Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by RobinHez(m): 6:55am On Jan 19, 2016
baloon filled with Helium gas...
Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:06am On Jan 19, 2016
Hmm.... Okay Sir. I gotta give it to ya... You're right.
*smiles*

So please explain why that's the answer for the benefit of those who will surely view this thread.

Nice work.

Also, is it just a helium-filled baloon that fits the bill here?

RobinHez:
baloon filled with Helium gas...
Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by RobinHez(m): 7:18am On Jan 19, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Hmm.... Okay Sir. I gotta give it to ya... You're right.
*smiles*

So please explain why that's the answer for the benefit of those who will surely view this thread.

Nice work.

Also, is it just a helium-filled baloon that fits the bill here?

well... i dunno how you'd expect me to explain it... but my little understanding of the concept can be summarised as: "any object which cant be measured on a scale on earth due to its density... would seem heavier on the moon, given that the moon itself is like a vacuum chamber of some sorts... and so, every tiny little bit of details would be considered. "
so how would u explain it?
Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:52am On Jan 19, 2016
Cool... Now that's another way of looking at it.

Well, I see it from the view of the Earth's atmosphere.

Now a helium-filled baloon (as you pointed out) or a baloon filled with any gas lighter than air (e.g. Ammonia, Hydrogen, Water vapor, Hot Air, Coal gas, etc) fits the bill.

Earth's atmosphere causes a helium-filled baloon or a "gas lighter than air"-filled baloon to float which makes it practically impossible to weigh.

On the moon, the lack of an atmosphere like Earth's causes the baloon to sink thus making it possible for it to be weighed.

So that's it... Summary-wise.

So thanks again Sir. Nicely done. *smiles*

RobinHez:

well... i dunno how you'd expect me to explain it... but my little understanding of the concept can be summarised as: "any object which cant be measured on a scale on earth due to its density... would seem heavier on the moon, given that the moon itself is like a vacuum chamber of some sorts... and so, every tiny little bit of details would be considered. "
so how would u explain it?
Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by RobinHez(m): 8:21am On Jan 19, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Cool... Now that's another way of looking at it.

Well, I see it from the view of the Earth's atmosphere.

Now a helium-filled baloon (as you pointed out) or a baloon filled with any gas lighter than air (e.g. Ammonia, Hydrogen, Water vapor, Hot Air, Coal gas, etc) fits the bill.

Earth's atmosphere causes a helium-filled baloon or a "gas lighter than air"-filled baloon to float which makes it practically impossible to weigh.

On the moon, the lack of an atmosphere like Earth's causes the baloon to sink thus making it possible for it to be weighed.

So that's it... Summary-wise.

So thanks again Sir. Nicely done. *smiles*

lol... cool! cool
Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 19, 2016
on the earth, bodies are exposed to the force of upthrust and gravity. gravity depends on mass, upthrust inversely depends on density. objects which are very light experience a great amount of upthrust which exceeds the gravity.

on the moon, there is no upthrust, but gravity remains the same. so, any lighter than air object will be heavier on the moon than on earth.
I'm including feather, and human hair.

note that all this depends on fooling the scale. a beam balance that is developed to account for upthrust will give the same result on any celestial body.

1 Like

Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:37pm On Jan 19, 2016
Uhmm.... Why laughing? **giggles**
Science always has various perspectives..... *smiles*
RobinHez:

lol... cool! cool
Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:42pm On Jan 19, 2016
**smiles**

Now, this is a nice top-up on my summary.

Teempakguy:
on the earth, bodies are exposed to the force of upthrust and gravity. gravity depends on mass, upthrust inversely depends on density. objects which are very light experience a great amount of upthrust which exceeds the gravity.

on the moon, there is no upthrust, but gravity remains the same. so, any lighter than air object will be heavier on the moon than on earth.
I'm including feather, and human hair.

note that all this depends on fooling the scale. a beam balance that is developed to account for upthrust will give the same result on any celestial body.
Re: Science Gravitation Teaser: Weight, Is This Possible? by RobinHez(m): 5:53am On Jan 20, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Uhmm.... Why laughing? **giggles**

Science always has various perspectives..... *smiles*

thats the beauty of it....

(1) (Reply)

Airtel Becomes The First Ever To Enable The Use Of TV In SPACE Through 4gnetwork / How Car Engines Are Made (world Smallest V12 Engine ) / Will The World END This Month? !!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.