Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Is This Possible? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Is This Possible? (742 Views)

Is This Possible? Scientists Visits Sun Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Possible? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jun 18, 2016
Fellow science enthusiasts, there is a newly proposed scientific development. Scientists are developing a way to preserve the contents of our brains digitally. It is believed that in this way, people who have died will be revived electronically. What I wanna find out is whether it is possible to convert our brain contents into electronic signals and store them in a chip?

Cc johnydon22 sweetcocoa Dorox Weah96 SirWere and all other NL science gigs and geniuses........ Please what are your thoughts on this?
Re: Is This Possible? by Blakjewelry(m): 2:00am On Jun 19, 2016
nobody is certain if it will be possible because it is purely theoretical for now, though it has found it to some popular sci-fi movies. There are lots of work going on in neurological science to help understand how the human mind works, scientists are working hard to figure out how we generate thought, how we reason, everything that makes up a human mind. The data I read doesn't support the possibility of storing electronically though part of me still believe it is possible
Re: Is This Possible? by Weah96: 9:05am On Jun 19, 2016
lordnicklaus:
Fellow science enthusiasts, there is a newly proposed scientific development. Scientists are developing a way to preserve the contents of our brains digitally. It is believed that in this way, people who have died will be revived electronically. What I wanna find out is whether it is possible to convert our brain contents into electronic signals and store them in a chip?

Cc johnydon22 sweetcocoa Dorox Weah96 SirWere and all other NL science gigs and geniuses........ Please what are your thoughts on this?

I believe so. The record may not be very helpful now , but at the current rate of technological advancement, it almost certainly will be in the future.

It's interesting to consider when you consider some of the implications. For example, you obtain a record of a 30 yr old male who lives to be 72. After he dies, you could only retrieve his 30yr old experiences and memories. Very weird. Our kids will have their hands full.
Re: Is This Possible? by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 19, 2016
Weah96:

I believe so. The record may not be very helpful now , but at the current rate of technological advancement, it almost certainly will be in the future.

It's interesting to consider when you consider some of the implications. For example, you obtain a record of a 30 yr old male who lives to be 72. After he dies, you could only retrieve his 30yr old experiences and memories. Very weird. Our kids will have their hands full.

So is it impossible to obtain the records even at his death? Or more still, even at the age of 72, at least to keep a longer record? By the way, the brain hasn't got no USB port or any electronic attachments which would make it possible to tap into the record electronically. And even if this to be done via bluetooth, optic fiber, radio signal e.t.c, how would signal receivers be configured to identify brain signals and tap into them to get relevant records? If this is finally actualised, I would suggest trying it on the Albert Einstein kinda brain.
Cc johnydon22 hahn sweetcocoa SirWere plaetton Prot0n et all.
Re: Is This Possible? by Weah96: 10:00am On Jun 19, 2016
lordnicklaus:

So is it impossible to obtain the records even at his death? Or more still, even at the age of 72, at least to keep a longer record? By the way, the brain hasn't got no USB port or any electronic attachments which would make it possible to tap into the record electronically. And even if this to be done via bluetooth, optic fiber, radio signal e.t.c, how would signal receivers be configured to identify brain signals and tap into them to get relevant records? If this is finally actualised, I would suggest trying it on the Albert Einstein kinda brain.
Cc johnydon22 hahn sweetcocoa SirWere plaetton Prot0n et all.

No na, the process will cost money and a 72 yr old might not have the money available to perform another scan. Such a person will be doomed to repeat his mistakes, if the only record taken came from his 30 yr old brain.
Re: Is This Possible? by Nobody: 11:33am On Jun 19, 2016
Weah96:

No na, the process will cost money and a 72 yr old might not have the money available to perform another scan. Such a person will be doomed to repeat his mistakes, if the only record taken came from his 30 yr old brain.

Oh yeah, I get your point. But won't the person actually continue from where his reasoning ceased at death? And to me, this process is kinda making an independent robot version of a person. And what if the process is corrupted by interfering signals or by the people trying to reprogram the chip containing the information? I think the person would become a confused one with conflicting ideas or what are your thoughts on this?
Re: Is This Possible? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 19, 2016
Meh, I seriously doubt it....
Re: Is This Possible? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jun 19, 2016
It's simply a simulation.

It's not the actual person, but a digital copy of him or her.

and it's done by reproducing the brain function with a super computer. right now, scientists can replicate one percent with an extremely powerful computer. in the future, the cost will come down.

but the fact is, it doesn't make anyone immortal. it just makes a copy of the person. true immortality is would be preserving the actual brain. in the actual body.
Re: Is This Possible? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jun 20, 2016
Your brain is far more than just a static storehouse of information.What about the ever fluid reasoning process,can that also be captured what about the body,the emotions... All working in unison to create that subjective identity which is you.These are the active parts of your brain that gives life to all...including your memories which are more or less docile.

Supposing our reasoning faculty could somewhat also be replicated,it also needs to effectively make meaning out of the memories,lots of those digitally stored information wouldn't make sense anymore especially those pertaining to your previous environment... you'd become nothing more than at most an highly intelligent robot or even a vegetative you caged in a motionless supercomputer.
Re: Is This Possible? by Originalsly: 5:03am On Jun 21, 2016
How can they even be thinking of converting brain information into digital storage when they don't know how/where information is stored?...much less to capture it and convert it. Maybe when they can stop Altheimer /dementia they can think about this one.
Re: Is This Possible? by Hybrid600: 8:51pm On Jul 03, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Hey Bro... plz send a PM

(1) (Reply)

If You’ve Been Experiencing Poor Internet Service For A While, This Could A Reas / Venomous snake Killed By A Nairalander Inside The House / Vtu Recharge Card,data, Subscription Biz Partner Needed Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.