Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,864 members, 7,817,559 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH (52981 Views)

Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted / My Whatsapp Is Currently Down. Could It Be What I'm Thinking? / The Isaiah4vs19 Message From MTN: When You Finally Catch The Guy Behind It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by NewsNewsBlog: 12:43am On Jan 19, 2016
WHATSAPP will drop its annual 69p in-app subscription fee within the next few weeks, co-founder Jan Koum has confirmed. But the hugely popular Facebook-owned app plans to introduce a worrying new revenue stream to replace the yearly cost to users.

WhatsApp is ditching its annual 69p subscription fee in favour of a new business model, founder Jan Koum has confirmed.

The WhatsApp creator made the announcement this morning at the Digital-Life-Design Conference in Munich.

WhatsApp is free to download on Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, Nokia and Windows 10 Mobile and lets users send text, video and audio around the world using a wifi or mobile data connection. The hugely popular app, which now boasts a staggering 900 million users across the globe, charges users a yearly 69p subscription to keep the messenger ad-free.

But that could be about to change.

Founder Mr Koum said the subscription model “really doesn’t work for some people” and that other cross-platform messaging apps, like Facebook Messenger, are completely free to use.

WhatsApp plans to replace the 69p charge by connecting companies directly with users via the app.

Mr Koum admitted they have not settled on a final plan yet, but as it stands, it appears WhatsApp will charge multi-national companies to conduct customer service chats and calls via WhatsApp.

For example, an airline could use the app to contact customers about a flight cancellation or upcoming delays.

WhatsApp says despite the changes, its goal remains to avoid spam and unwanted advertising within the hugely-successful app.

In an official blog post, the messaging firm wrote: “Naturally, people might wonder how we plan to keep WhatsApp running without subscription fees and if today’s announcement means we’re introducing third-party ads.

“The answer is no.

"Starting this year, we will test tools that allow you to use WhatsApp to communicate with businesses and organizations that you want to hear from.

“That could mean communicating with your bank about whether a recent transaction was fraudulent, or with an airline about a delayed flight.

“We all get these messages elsewhere today – through text messages and phone calls – so we want to test new tools to make this easier to do on WhatsApp, while still giving you an experience without third-party ads and spam.”

Facebook, which acquired WhatsApp for an eye-watering $19 billion in 2014, is already testing out the feature in its own Facebook Messenger app.

Select US companies have been given the opportunity to pay for the ability to message their customers directly via the app.

Facebook Chief Financial Officer David Wehner confirmed the possible business-to-consumer (B2C) integration at a technology conference in Boston.

"We think that enabling that B2C messaging has good business potential for us," he said.

The news comes after WhatsApp was named one of the worst smartphone apps for user privacy.

WhatsApp founders Jan Koum and Brian Acton are known for their staunch anti-advertisement policy within WhatsApp.

"We wanted to make something that wasn't just another ad clearinghouse," the pair wrote on the official WhatsApp blog.

"Advertising isn't just the disruption of aesthetics, the insults to your intelligence and the interruption of your train of thought.

"At every company that sells ads, a significant portion of their engineering team spends their day tuning data mining, writing better code to collect all your personal data, upgrading the servers that hold all the data and making sure it's all being logged and collated and sliced and packaged and shipped out... And at the end of the day the result of it all is a slightly different advertising banner in your browser or on your mobile screen.

"Remember, when advertising is involved you the user are the product. At WhatsApp, our engineers spend all their time fixing bugs, adding new features and ironing out all the little intricacies in our task of bringing rich, affordable, reliable messaging to every phone in the world.

"That's our product and that's our passion. Your data isn't even in the picture. We are simply not interested in any of it."

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/635678/WhatsApp-Completely-Free-69p-Year-UK-Advertising

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Lovexme(m): 5:55am On Jan 19, 2016
You could have stated the 'catch' here. Ain't got no time to click that link mehn.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Phrankin(m): 6:14am On Jan 19, 2016
[size=15pt]Here's the full article for those that don't have the time to click on the link[/size]

WhatsApp is now completely FREE, but there’s a worrying CATCH
A+A-
PrintEmail

WHATSAPP will drop its annual 69p in-app subscription fee within the next few weeks, co-founder Jan Koum has confirmed. But the hugely popular Facebook-owned app plans to replace the yearly cost with a worrying new revenue stream.

Facebook-owned WhatsApp is dropping its yearly 69p subscription cost in favour of a new model

WhatsApp is ditching its annual 69p subscription fee in favour of a new business model, founder Jan Koum has confirmed.
The WhatsApp creator made the announcement this morning at the Digital-Life-Design Conference in Munich.
WhatsApp is free to download on Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, Nokia and Windows 10 Mobile and lets users send text, video and audio around the world using a wifi or mobile data connection. The hugely popular app, which now boasts a staggering 900 million users across the globe, charges users a yearly 69p subscription to keep the messenger ad-free.

WhatsApp allows users to send text, video, audio – and even make calls – for free

Founder Mr Koum said the subscription model “really doesn’t work for some people” and that other cross-platform messaging apps, like Facebook Messenger, are completely free to use.
WhatsApp plans to replace the 69p charge by connecting companies directly with users via the app.
Mr Koum admitted they have not settled on a final plan yet, but as it stands, it appears WhatsApp will charge multi-national companies to conduct customer service chats and calls via WhatsApp.

For example, an airline could use the app to contact customers about a flight cancellation or upcoming delays.
WhatsApp says despite the changes, its goal remains to avoid spam and unwanted advertising within the hugely-successful app.
In an official blog post, the messaging firm wrote: “Naturally, people might wonder how we plan to keep WhatsApp running without subscription fees and if today’s announcement means we’re introducing third-party ads.

“The answer is no.
"Starting this year, we will test tools that allow you to use WhatsApp to communicate with businesses and organizations that you want to hear from.
“That could mean communicating with your bank about whether a recent transaction was fraudulent, or with an airline about a delayed flight.
“We all get these messages elsewhere today – through text messages and phone calls – so we want to test new tools to make this easier to do on WhatsApp, while still giving you an experience without third-party ads and spam.”

WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum with actress Lily Collins at the 2016 Breakthrough Prize Ceremony

WhatsApp was sold to Facebook for a staggering $19 billion, back in 2014

Facebook, which acquired WhatsApp for an eye-watering $19 billion in 2014, is already testing out the feature in its own Facebook Messenger app.
Select US companies have been given the opportunity to pay for the ability to message their customers directly via the app.
Facebook Chief Financial Officer David Wehner confirmed the possible business-to-consumer (B2C) integration at a technology conference in Boston.
"We think that enabling that B2C messaging has good business potential for us," he said.
The news comes after WhatsApp was named one of the worst smartphone apps for user privacy.

WhatsApp founders Jan Koum and Brian Acton are known for their staunch anti-advertisement policy within WhatsApp.
"We wanted to make something that wasn't just another ad clearinghouse," the pair wrote on the official WhatsApp blog.
"Advertising isn't just the disruption of aesthetics, the insults to your intelligence and the interruption of your train of thought.

WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum has always been notoriously anti-advertising within his app

WhatsApp claims its goal remains to avoid spam within the free app

"At every company that sells ads, a significant portion of their engineering team spends their day tuning data mining, writing better code to collect all your personal data, upgrading the servers that hold all the data and making sure it's all being logged and collated and sliced and packaged and shipped out... And at the end of the day the result of it all is a slightly different advertising banner in your browser or on your mobile screen.
"Remember, when advertising is involved you the user are the product. At WhatsApp, our engineers spend all their time fixing bugs, adding new features and ironing out all the little intricacies in our task of bringing rich, affordable, reliable messaging to every phone in the world.
"That's our product and that's our passion. Your data isn't even in the picture. We are simply not interested in any of it."

[size=15pt][OP no vex, at least I visited your blog][/size]

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by MicroIce(m): 6:17am On Jan 19, 2016
o.p.. Go straight to the point na.. When n how do they plan to implement this?

3 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Youngpo413: 6:53am On Jan 19, 2016
Them dey pay for whatsapp before?

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by ProudOlodo: 7:56am On Jan 19, 2016
I don't see a lot worrying in the new revenue plan...at least not yet. Except there's an angle I'm not seeing yet

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 19, 2016
Youngpo413:
bin wondering too.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Swaggzkid: 8:07am On Jan 19, 2016
What are they saying ni? someone please mention me.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Elifabregas(m): 8:09am On Jan 19, 2016
what is this

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by acenazt: 8:42am On Jan 19, 2016
I neva pay 1kobo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by henryobinna(m): 8:58am On Jan 19, 2016
I knew it, cos I couldn't imagine Facebook getting back their over $19billion dollars from meagre $0.99 a year.

be ready to be bombarded with ads, I sure would advertise on WhatsApp cos it'll convert well.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Abee79(m): 9:43am On Jan 19, 2016
Swaggzkid:
What are they saying ni? someone please mention me.
Are you happy now? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by dtruseeker(m): 9:54am On Jan 19, 2016
Imagine ur number integrated in MTN's whatsapp database. Expect a hell lot of annoying unsolicited messages

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 19, 2016
Who paid. That payment concept was unreasonable.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Akosxxx(m): 1:34pm On Jan 19, 2016
I think its a nice initiative.
Whatsapp can't afford to mess up coz we now have Telegram as a substitute should they.

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Rexyl(m): 4:38pm On Jan 19, 2016
NewsNewsBlog:
WHATSAPP will drop its annual 69p in-app subscription fee within the next few weeks, co-founder Jan Koum has confirmed. But the hugely popular Facebook-owned app plans to replace the yearly cost with a worrying new revenue stream.

Facebook-owned WhatsApp is dropping its yearly 69p subscription cost in favour of a new model

Read more >>> http://newsnewsblog..com.ng/2016/01/whatsapp-is-now-completely-free-but.html#0

just wondering how they are making such money from users of the app, when users have neither been alerted to make such payment nor blocked from using the app for almost two years.

I have used the app for almost two years without any information of such payment, and I have not been stopped.
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by ritababe(f): 4:46pm On Jan 19, 2016
Youngpo413:

help me ask them oh, since five years ago wey i open whatsapp i never pay 1kobo.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Atmmachine(m): 9:34pm On Jan 19, 2016
Pay for what ??
I thought the whole thing is free.
I chat and make calls on it.

Please, can someone tell me what they pay for
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by DarkHenrie(m): 9:34pm On Jan 19, 2016
WhatsApp? Wake me up when browsing in general is free.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by daveyjay(m): 9:34pm On Jan 19, 2016
ThankGod oh! I was alerted that my whatsapp will expire by sept this year...thankGod for the new development
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by sheddo619(m): 9:35pm On Jan 19, 2016
Was that the reason I got a message from them concerning life time service to my account

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by hemartins(m): 9:35pm On Jan 19, 2016
do people pay for whatsapp?
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by ifeelgood: 9:35pm On Jan 19, 2016
You can even download food with this whatsapp.

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Integrityfarms(m): 9:36pm On Jan 19, 2016
But I have never paid for it for once. I don't no how hey charge
Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Kangol99(m): 9:37pm On Jan 19, 2016
I love Whatsapp!! It's a great App

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is Now Completely FREE, But There’s A Worrying CATCH by Wendyslim(f): 9:38pm On Jan 19, 2016
Ok. I hear

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apart From Yahoo, What Can I Do With My Phone And Earn A Living? / When A Fraudster Tries To Dupe An Igbo Boy ( Screenshots ) / With 18k What Is The Best Phone I Can Afford?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.