Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! (23242 Views)

Wizkid Is Still Signed To E.M.E - Banky W / 2baba Vs Banky W. Whose The Best? / Tony Okoroji Writes To Banky W, Eldee And Reuben Abati (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by adetunrayo(f): 5:30pm On Jun 24, 2009
The man is right in a way,some of their songs are meaniless.E.g Oriefokasile etc
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by tkb417(m): 5:38pm On Jun 24, 2009
See this old man dey try to join our younger crew . . .  
Abeg ooh . . . stick to your Kollington and Raskimono, no dey form youngie with us  
Next thing now, 55-year old Doyin go wan join

grin grin grin
eldee, if i catch u ehn, ill whoze u

how far?
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by khanye(m): 6:10pm On Jun 24, 2009
adetunrayo:

The man is right in a way,some of their songs are meaniless.E.g Oriefokasile etc

He's not
Back in those days they had fun their way
Back in those days 1 £ = 1 Naira
but now things have changed and i think he should leave it that way!
If oriefokasibe is rubbish, what's Kollington's Kebe?
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by eldee(m): 6:13pm On Jun 24, 2009
@Proudlynaija
You just pointed out another aspect of this whole issue
These two guys made so many solid points, it'll be shameful if they don't get printed in the dailies.
But as usual, young Nigerians are never listened to

tkb417:

grin grin grin
eldee, if i catch u ehn, ill whoze u

how far?

Uncle, I dey ooh grin
How's the wife and grandchildren tongue tongue
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by horny4u(f): 6:16pm On Jun 24, 2009
Generation Y, also known as The Millennial Generation, is a term used to describe the demographic cohort following Generation X. Its members are often referred to as "Millennials"[1] or "Echo Boomers"[2]) . There are no precise dates for when Gen Y begins and ends. Most commentators use dates from the early 1980s to early 1990s.[3][4][5][6][7][8][9] Members of Generation Y are primarily the offspring of Generation Jones and the Baby Boom Generation
Wikipedia defination

I am a business woman who is from this generation & markets to this generation.
This generation grew up with the world being a global village.
A generation where all written rules of human behaviour is broken,where change is the only way,where they want it and yes they get it now.
A generation that stands up for itself without caring less,a generation that reads sahara reporters when thier dad has read punch through out.
A generation that puts a new twist on peer pressure by trusting thier peers and thier friends on facebook ,twitter and my space to help them make a choice.
A generation that even the sons and daughters of the middle class are able to graduate and buy new cars again,
A generation that when the Aritos pushed the boys to the wall by picking the babes because of fine cars invented yahoo yahoo to fight back ( yahoo yahoo is NEGATIVE THOUGH)
A generation where the married girls are divorcing the conventional iro and buba, and making cool styles with ankara.
A generation that invented nairaland to air thier viewsand give feedback, that makes the newspapers know its time to buckle up and stop  writing with fear or egunje.
A generation that demands DSTV for clearer pictures and can see thru the bloody journalist that brought babagida on AIT only to say yes sir how is your health , how is life after retirement, i am honoured to have you here. grin grin egunje!
A generation where genevievie magazine is quietly being sidetracked for targeting the super rich forgetting that the middle class is the new rich (imagine how many times Doyin Abiola has been featured , while on mothers day True love magazine featured the new youth models e.g i think dare art alade, (cannot remember genevieve mag used this time to unveil Doyin abiola and her daughter, ( i have nothing against madam doyin i think she is brilliant but we want to see success stories like our selves ordinary people just like us, True love mag ticks that.

Any way Oga Reuben just a little research would have informed you that 9ice and lord of ajasa new single , elenu  , is so popular becos it feels a need , this Gen Y does not send you.They will not take it sitting down they can make up thier own mind,

Bros ye no be only you get issue with them oh, its the whole world , NEVER AS A GENERATION BEEEN SO UNPREDICTABLE , MAJORLY INFLUENCING THEMSELVES ,CHANGING SO SWIFTLY, PUNISHING SO QUICKLY , REWARDING SO QUICKLY AS WELL,
Right now all over the world its cool to be a 9ja person.

Like someone mentioned its time guadian changes thier editor to someone from this generation they know themselves and are the only ones who can do the jobof influencing eachother.

As for crash relevance , Reuben i think it just backfired,

a proud GEN Y , file don't tooooousssh it!!
9ja 4 life!
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by neyo7: 6:20pm On Jun 24, 2009
I am very proud of you guys to have taken the time to respond to Abati article, but you shouldn't have resorted to calling him (Abati) names. He is a journalist of repute and might have made mistakes, it should have been strictly a literal exchange of facts like he did.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by server34(m): 6:23pm On Jun 24, 2009
proudly9ja:

By the way sef, Uncle Rueben, where were you when Kwara State Givernor (a man from your own generation) brought in Beyonce and JayZ to Nigeria and named a street after JayZ in Kwara state?

LWKMD!! Tell me its a joke plsss. . . . .
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by tundewoods(m): 6:38pm On Jun 24, 2009
All this because of Reuben Abati's article about Nigeria's identity crisis !!! WOW , i am truly impressed !

@ Posters

Lets face it Reuben Abati being a seasoned name in Journalism here in Nigeria, made some candid points even though he miss fired in some areas and really did a good job contradicting himself several times.

I still respect the dude for having the guts to speak his mind or better put his opinion.

But dont go killing your selves over Dr. Abati's remarks and observation because i dont think it changes a thing. Instead i think the present generation's artists should take a sober reflection on the valid points that Dr. Abati made.

@ Banky W

With your intelligent and well articulated reply to Dr. Abati's opinion,you may have gathered a larger fan base. LOL ! Good for you.

But please pass the message across to all the so called artistes in this our present generation that are missing the vital points that Dr. Abati tried to raise.

no be by force to be artist, after all as someone has rightly put it rap music seems to have more rappers that rap fans. Naija truly don jaga jaga as Idris Abdul Kareem put it.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by myspace(m): 6:40pm On Jun 24, 2009
Banky got his point across without being disrespectful which made his article a good read. On the other hand, Eldee's insults were a complete turn off.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by ashaby(f): 6:54pm On Jun 24, 2009
@Banky W's post
Wow!
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by ilosiwaju: 6:58pm On Jun 24, 2009
Dr. Reuben got it all wrong this time! o ma she ooooo
banky w, ku ise o jare.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by Ajengogo(m): 7:19pm On Jun 24, 2009
I am very sure Abalti would be licking his wound by now. Abalti may choose to write an editorial on any topic, but then it has to be one that he has complete knowledge of. As far as I am concerned, he has misfired here. He should be advised to focus his creative writing talents on topics that will earn him more respects in his field. Chi kena!!!!!
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by Redman44(m): 7:23pm On Jun 24, 2009
I don't know what to say sad sad Guess the respected columnist shot himself in the legs. It is quite clear that our elderly ones are not connecting with the youths. And come to think of it, Reuben Abati is still young. Dunno why he wrote that ill-researched piece. He should have realized that Nigerian youths are very informed these days. Maybe it is time for him to know that better columnists are coming to take over the Nigerian Media space cheesy cheesy WE ARE COMING O, Mr Abati. Cheers.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by igbalajobi: 7:27pm On Jun 24, 2009
Dr. Reuben,
MI says
"if you are still sitting down you are on the long thin
We are the most incredible generation out of naija;

Eldee says
I got some stunna shades on
prada on my back
Louis on my feet
Gucci on my wrist

Im a Big Boy
they hate on me cos Im a Big Boy

Tori mo joko sinu Bentley
Porshce ati hummer
Lau lau spending
Pounds ati dollar

Im a Big Boy
they keep on hating on a Big Boy

Ajasa & 9ice say “
Ohun to ba wun anybody lo le fenu won so
……. E fi won sile, e je ko ma so lo
Orin yin ni o, e ma kolo
Bunibuni e buni, kaka ko sunmi nise lo ti ma dunsi

Dbanj also replies you that
Some people no wan make we grow
……….Olohun ma je o

Dr. though you tried to make some sense but you got it all wrong with your style & point.
I like Banky post, direct confrontational without being disrespectful
Eldee post is disrespectful but like someone said, “if you cast aspersion on something I take my time to build, I will hit you back with the last blood in my vein.
Things had been bad since Abati’s generation and nothing has been done till date to reverse it for good.
Last note, some of our artists/musicians should take the +ve side of Abati’s write-up and take clue from Asa, 9ice, and others who still sing meaningfully.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jun 24, 2009
Mr Abati, you really made a lot of sense but with few mistakes. Senseless, no sense, meaningless and other shameful words best describes the present Nigerian Music all in the name of Hip Hop. For instance, 4kasibe by DJ Zeez, Collabo by Deebee. These and a lot more do not make any sense. Or Eldee who claims to be a rapper and singing Bosigbangba. Thank GOD for Asa, Mode9 and others.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by shinaidowu: 7:31pm On Jun 24, 2009
Men thumb up to Eldee and Banky W, am so impressed not all naija artiste is like 2-Face who cant speak simple and correct english.
Ruben Abati should learn to ocncentrate his writings on serious national issues next time and leave our generation ALONE.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by matiltomd(f): 7:41pm On Jun 24, 2009
Dr. Reuben Abati, with due respect to his person,he obviously got a lot of points misplaced, he criticized these boys out rightly which i think wasn't fair on their part, these boys are trying [even though some of them don't have contents,4 real]. i work in a radio station and i come across a lot of them on a daily basis,some of them shouldn't even be in music at all, but lets encourage them, and for the records,pls don't compare them to the old generation of artistes [who found it hard to brand themselves], what's there to imitate in those people? or our politicians I'd rather not talk about those ones- abeg,my favorite TV commercial is on,  angry angry

Banky W, you've never disappointed me,this goes to show we do have learned ones amongst them [though a lot of them couldn't have replied like he did,and my people,you know why?no pun intended]. your reply was straight to the point,loaded with facts,polite and obviously succinct!!! i like the part wherein you mentioned Fela Anikulapo Kuti-that was really really necessary,  Uncle Reuben got some stuff wrong,  whoever researched for him apparently did a terrible job,   kiss kiss kiss

Eldee - you were rude in your reply [lets be factual]. i understand how you feel and i wouldn't want to tell you how to voice out your pains,but personally,i think you were kinda rude [i stand to be corrected], but,hey you had good points big time,  wink wink

All in all, like Banky W rightly said,they are ready to be taught,or corrected but where are the teachers?

Bukola Saraki that named a street after Jay Z-----I'm sure that ain't Uncle Ruben's generation,that's a generation after his,but obviously lectured by Uncle Ruben's generation,and i honestly don't think he expects us to imitate these people, 
   abeg,I'm outta here jare!!! cool cool
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by bluespice(f): 7:46pm On Jun 24, 2009
its a shame,
a journalist of his prowess should know the tricks of his trade
a man of his calliber should know not to drop cheap insults with unfounded sources
good job to banky n eldee
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by AR1: 8:08pm On Jun 24, 2009
Seems like every country has its journalists who go on their crusade against hip hop seen to be a negative foreign influence on the youth.
by Juma www.africanhiphop.com

On the 18th of January 2008,the attention of AHH was drawn to an article penned by Benson Idonije,a regular columnist for The Guardian newspapers who wrote an article entitled This Hip Hop just wont stop.The article and the ensuing furore that arose can be read here

http://www.africanhiphop.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14818

Some of us were sufficiently aroused enough to write seasoned rejoinders to Mr Idonije inviting him and others like him to have a debate on the issues he raised whereby we would point out the flaws in his arguments but The Guardian never posted any of our replies and I suspect that Banky W and ElDees response shall suffer the same fate,censorship by default,Mr Abati's mental sagacity is not in question and this would have been a terrific opportunity to cross swords,albeit intellectually,on the State of hip hop with specific regards to Nigeria and hopefully find a middle ground between the economic and social realities that propels the phenomenon forward towards, ?certain destruction or something iconic?these are the questions that must be answered,in a healthy debate devoid of insults or needless disrespect.

Failing the above,we are left,a murmuring impatient and disatisfied army of youth and by youth I mean anyone under 40 from within Nigeria and in diaspora approaching a crucial nexus point where enough will certainly be enough,and certain people and organisations who for now shall remain nameless and shameless will be asked all manner of questions,for now,9ice made it possible for us to teach Europeans Yoruba because his lyrics elicited that amount of interest after his debut at the Mandela concert,asides from the Super Eagles,I know of no other Nigerian brand that is so readily embraced by Nigerians in diaspora AND their freinds,its a sad truth that the National Assembly which masquerades as the peoples parliament holds no awe or affection for a vast majority of the populace because THAT generation consigned us to exile,penury and hopelessness so the OJB's et al of today command our respect and patronage because despite everything you threw against people like that,they still made it!And that,ladies and gentlemen is the mystery and allure of hip hop wherever it flourishes.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by lekanfayz: 8:26pm On Jun 24, 2009
i believe Mr Abati must be hiding under his bed by now, the fact that the music of their generation couldn't go beyond gidi and ours was able to generate followership outta naija is enough for him to have kept his views to himself. The current sets of 9ja musicians understand the musical terrain better. i guess Mr Abati is just being a jealous freak.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by proudly9ja(m): 8:29pm On Jun 24, 2009
server34:

LWKMD!! Tell me its a joke plsss. . . . .

dats ur proof!
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jun 24, 2009
enough said already, over to SIMON KOLAWOLE Live @ thisdayonline.com
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by vikiviko(m): 9:47pm On Jun 24, 2009
Reuben Abati is a man with 9 lives, he'll come out with another bombshell again.

He's a wordsmith, let him toy with words , all na joke.

Writers are known to be sarcastic on so many issues, Rubanti thats is new name henceforth, as clearly shown how critical he can be with Nigerian youths.The last time he wrote how crazy we are with the use of mobile phones, now identity crisis.

The most conscious people on earth are 9jas, anywhere in the world.

Few days ago i was in Radio station to air a program when a Nigerian man saw me wearing a T.shirt inscribed 'eko o ' ni baje' he screamed and hugged me , introduced me to everybody he knows aroundthat he has met a fellow a 9ja Ninja.

Nigerians are happy people, never have we been unconscious of our true 9ja identity.

Rubanti we dey wait for another bombshell from you over the weekend.

All na Joke, 9ja stylee.

Rubanti baba, true 9ja Ninja.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by YawaDonGas: 9:52pm On Jun 24, 2009
Banky had always scored a -20 with me but his response kinda of raised him to -2, very articulate.

I thot ElDee was unecessarily rude, Banky had more points and didn't have to be rude to get them across.

I think Abati had a point or two, but didn't communicate it/ them well, culture is getting lost and while some of us would like to hold on to it, times are changing. I was listening to Chinese radio the other day and they were rapping in Chinese. Mexicans are rapping in Spanish, it's all part of the change necessary for growth. We can't hold on to before or now forever. As for the sagging, earrings, and excessive "fune", that's taking the "change" too far,

Did anyone see this as well?

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/a-nations-identity-crisis-a-rejo.html
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jun 24, 2009
[size=15pt]naming a street JayZ? that is the dunbest thing from a governor. Jay z cleans my shoe every morning.

@YawaDon Gas

who cares about ur comparison anyway

@ sigine, how much u want sell this dawg, you sure say this thing no sick so? [/size]
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by chiogo(f): 9:56pm On Jun 24, 2009
How old is this Mr Abati sef?? somebody said he's young.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by DoubleN(m): 9:56pm On Jun 24, 2009
This guy is meant to be one of the most respected News Editors in Nigeria(Naija) but he got it wrong this time!!
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by Myself2(m): 10:10pm On Jun 24, 2009
I'm not surprised Banky was so articulate,but I'm impressed by his control of diction and syntax,however,the same cannot,unfortunately be said of Eldee,whose response was very shallow devoid of valid points,his anger and immaturity got the better of him;a grammatical neophyte will pooh-pooh his submission in a heartbeat

That said,I eagerly await 9ice'e response,I'm sure he'll do better than  Banky  grin grin grin

@ Mr Abati

You had some salient points no doubt(as most of what some so-called artistes dish out these days are so crappy,bereft of meaning and undeserving of any serious attention),but you showed a kind of extreme disdain for the artistic identities and preferences of our present day artistes,without taking a lot of factors into consideration,you appeared to talk down to your target artistes in your write up,and exhibited neither tact nor diplomacy therein .Is it the many name spelling errors?I guess you tried too hard to lump so many sub heads into your editorial write up and ended up with a journalistic howler.

I suggest you do a RE and set the records straight as some of us regard you too highly to now assess you based on that write up

Bros,I still hail
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by davidif: 10:15pm On Jun 24, 2009
They talk of us having Jay-Z as our role models, who should we place there?? Fela . . . or maybe the artistes of their time that openly came out to praise thieves in power.

FELA IS A GREAT AMBASSADOR OF AFRICA. WHO IS ELDEE OR BANKY W.
Re: Reuben Abati Vs Banky W: A Must Read! by Krayola(m): 10:18pm On Jun 24, 2009
I thought Eldee's response was appropriate tbh. Banky w's was great though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eminem - Rap God Download / Name One Nigerian Song You Dislike But Find Yourself Singing Always / "Imagine That" By Styl-Plus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.