Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,567 members, 7,861,679 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:00 PM

Must You Speak In Tongues To Be A Good Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must You Speak In Tongues To Be A Good Christian? (474 Views)

7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Must You Speak In Tongues To Be A Good Christian? by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 19, 2016
Hi everyone, please I have this issue that has been bothering me for a while. I visited a church recently and I liked the experience I got. But when ever its time to pray, everyone starts shouting and jumping. I on the other hand love to pray quietly. I believe that prayer is like a conversation between a person and his father (God) and since God is not deaf,,there is no need for shouting at him. The one that disturbs me most is that the pastor always ask the congregation to speak in tongues. Its more of a command that they must speak in tongues. Me, I'm not down with that. Infact I find it funny whenever they start shouting and saying stuff no one understands. Please my fellow nairalanders must you speak in tongues before you are a good christian?....Help a brother out cuz I feel like an alien anytime I'm in that church..

Lalasticlala abeg so something
Re: Must You Speak In Tongues To Be A Good Christian? by CARLOSZ: 7:50am On Jan 19, 2016
Didn't read the textbook, Lalasticlala Oya come n do your own
Re: Must You Speak In Tongues To Be A Good Christian? by howdynaija: 11:59am On Jan 19, 2016
KingEli:
Hi everyone, please I have this issue that has been bothering me for a while. I visited a church recently and I liked the experience I got. But when ever its time to pray, everyone starts shouting and jumping. I on the other hand love to pray quietly. I believe that prayer is like a conversation between a person and his father (God) and since God is not deaf,,there is no need for shouting at him. The one that disturbs me most is that the pastor always ask the congregation to speak in tongues. Its more of a command that they must speak in tongues. Me, I'm not down with that. Infact I find it funny whenever they start shouting and saying stuff no one understands. Please my fellow nairalanders must you speak in tongues before you are a good christian?....Help a brother out cuz I feel like an alien anytime I'm in that church..

Lalasticlala abeg so something

What people call speaking in tongues today is far from what the Bible teach. Let's read Acts 2:1-12

And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.1 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. 12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

These people heard the disciples speaking in their own languages as listed above. They were not babbling for God's sake as majority of "Christians" do today!

Also consider what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 12:8-11 & 27-30

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Please NOTE that the spirit gives to every man as he wills. How come we see a whole church or congregation of 100 or 10,000 people all speaking in tongues at once? What is happening? God is not an author of confusion...our Creator God is a God of harmony and not Baal as the Bible recorded the story of Elijah where all the prophets of Baal spoke in tongues and cut themselves.

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. 28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.6 29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?7 30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Should all speak in tongues? No!...God through the Holy spirit gives the gift of tongue as the need arise, as in the account of Acts 2. It was needed for the gospel to spread. For instance, as an evangelist I happen to find myself in one typical Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo village where the inhabitants/villagers don't understand any other language other than their native language and God have a message for them, the Holy Spirit will give me the gift of tongue so as to enable me pass the message to them in their own language and not to babble as what majority of christendom do today and call it speaking in tongues...

chai.....can this explanation be clearer than this? I hope this helps someone.

(1) (Reply)

Who Do I Follow: Pastor Or Jesus? / Masturbation - Is It A Sin According To The Bible? / BOYS: Ways To Stop Looking At Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.