Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,129 members, 7,845,747 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Sickle Cell Disoder Not A Death Sentence - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sickle Cell Disoder Not A Death Sentence (516 Views)

Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / UCH Ibadan, A Death Trap: Official Reply From UCH Management / Pictures of a Death Trap At University Of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sickle Cell Disoder Not A Death Sentence by splaka(m): 4:09pm On Jan 19, 2016
SICKLE CELL DISORDER NOT A DEATH SENTENCE
Oredola Olaoluwa advocates for an end to stigmatization of people living with sickle cell. He shares his experience.
"I grew up with an illusion that SCD was a killer disease and anyone with SCD cannot live more than 20 years of age.
As a child, I used to think death would come knocking on my door as I approached the age of 20. Whenever crisis hit was another perfect time for me to think of my death.
Many SCD persons have suffered rejections, stigmatization and frustrations in one way or the other as a result of their ‘unwished’ genotype. Yes, 'unwished' because they never planned or prayed for it but because it pleases the creator to make them in that likeness.
I must tell you, living with SCD is one thing you should not wish for your enemy, especially the crisis period. The pain you go through as a person is like the pain Jesus went through on the cross of Calvary (apologies to the non-Christians).
Studies have shown that about a significant percentage of people possess low and quality information about Sickle Cell Disorder and this in turn has led to misconceptions about what the disorder really is.
Don’t be surprised I’m using the word disorder. It’s not a disease; it is simply a gene disorder.
Many people seem to term SCD as what it is not, SCD IS NOT A KILLER DISEASE; neither is it a DEATH WARRANT.
There are persons living with SCD leading and living good lives out there; we have bankers, lawyers, doctors, lecturers, etc.
I’m not really bothered about the misconceptions that exist amongst people. What disturbs my precious heart is the existence of stigmatization. Why should you stigmatize me because I have SCD, did I choose to have SCD? Who told you that you are better off than I am? How are you so sure I can’t do more than what you are doing?
I feel so sad when I hear or see people having failed relationships all because of SCD or when I hear people are being dismissed at work because of SCD or when I see people talk ill of people living with SCD. This is an unjust act and it must stop!
I have heard of many people being dismissed at their work place because of their genotype; employment rejection, denial of admission, dismissal from NYSC camp and lots more. Haba! This is unfair! Just imagine yourself in those shoes and your reactions if all these happened to you.
We deserve a life of our own, not just a life but a fulfilled life. Never look down on SCD patients, because they can produce multiples of result desired even far better than whoever you consider perfect. By the way, who decides what is perfect and what is imperfect? We are wonderfully and fearfully made. (Psalm 139:14)
Let’s put an end to SCD stigmatisation.
I’m a SCD warrior, I live to fight SCD, victory awaits me and I will fight SCD stigmatization with all what God has given me."

Sent as received

#BeautifullyFlawed
#FlawedButLimitless

NWACHI, Maureen
Writer and Sickle Cell Advocate
www.sicklestrength.com
7EF1655A ,+234 805 903 4939

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell Disoder Not A Death Sentence by lepasharon(f): 9:48pm On Mar 21, 2016
Preach OP. Nigerians have the worst attitude towards ppl with SS

(1) (Reply)

Free Downloadable Ebook, " Exercise For Life". / Freelance Health Writers Needed / 10 Things You Didn’t Know About The Brain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.