Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,401 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate (47334 Views)

5 Ways You Can Avoid Carryovers As A Fresh Student / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Agbo Odeh-Hillary Of BSU Breaks Academic Record After 17 Carryovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by ednut1(m): 6:04pm On Jan 21, 2016
A partner in kpmg saw carryover in my friends transcript during his interview. U know d rest

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Tinyemeka(m): 6:05pm On Jan 21, 2016
Got my second highest score in JAMB from Biology (English had always been a bonus). Entered Uni and thought it was the same old Biology I used to smash. I scored 36. Lord knows how devasted and disappointed I felt (not to talk of the panic). I never took such chances again. 2nd semester was A. Same as the first semester course, when I had to re-write it the following year.

Carryover is a terrible evil that does wonders to one's GP. sad
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 21, 2016
iyke926:
I never had a carry over.

OP, I never went to the library... too quiet. And you forgot something important...cramming. Read, study well and cram...cram... cram... Cram hard. Naija lecturers love it when u give them what's on their note during exams.

When u have few brainy friends your academic life go tight.

Don't ever sit close to a dull student during exams. You will end up answering only 3 questions instead of 5.

God bless u. I keep telling people all the time. That's basically how I made my 2.1, by cramming. I feel only lazy students don't cram.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Strawman: 6:07pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dapromzy333, you be bad guy oh! You missed 40 marks yet you no carry over cheesy

Thank God I've done 3 semesters and no carry over so far, I don't intend on carrying over at all tongue
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jan 21, 2016
theoptimist298:

God bless u. I keep telling people all the time. That's basically how I made my 2.1, by cramming. I feel only lazy students don't cram.

Don't blame them. It ain't easy to cram but with constant practice one becomes better. Some say it's bad way of learning.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by awomike4u(m): 6:19pm On Jan 21, 2016
@Dapromzy333...Nice write-up
Proudly KSU!!
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Ekehwinz: 6:26pm On Jan 21, 2016
nickxtra:
Good. I still can't fathom why I had a carry over in a course I thought was not too difficult for me- CSC200. Although, I thank God that I got B in it when I resat for it. N.B. A friend later told me that scoring B at a resit is far better than scoring D or E in the main exam. Pls how true is this assertion?

It is if your school is uniben
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by daveP(m): 6:29pm On Jan 21, 2016
My school uses 70 as A(distinction), and 45 as F(fail).

Nice points. Ad astra
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by barajo1(m): 6:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
Meel:
Narrowly had carry over last semester. 40E chm Thank you Jesus
gp down d drain
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by ResponsibleThug(m): 6:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
Hmmn, carry over?.. I had my first carry over course in my first year, ever since then I swore never to have any till am done with school and it's been working.. kikikikkikikikikikikikikikikikikik. grin

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by 247notire(m): 6:39pm On Jan 21, 2016
theoptimist298:

Even though I made a 2, 1 too, 2 1 no guarantee u nothing in naija brother. Plus cramming or not, the main thing na to pass ur exams and pass them well. How one goes about that (by hook or by crook) shud nt really matter for me. But in all try to attend lectures and understand at least the basics of wateva course u studied so u won't be a dunce when ur talking with your colleagues of the same field.

PS: Cramming cannot and does not work for all courses. If ur an engineer or graduated from the pure sciences like statistics, physics, mathematics or chemistry u will understand what I just said.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Adaeze003(f): 6:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
iyke926:
I never had a carry over.

OP, I never went to the library... too quiet. And you forgot something important...cramming. Read, study well and cram...cram... cram... Cram hard. Naija lecturers love it when u give them what's on their note during exams.

When u have few brainy friends your academic life go tight.

Don't ever sit close to a dull student during exams. You will end up answering only 3 questions instead of 5.

Don't ever give bribe to pass a course. It's a sin and one of its punishment is more carryovers.

Bribery is sin but exam malpractice isn't?? grin grin grin

Greatest Nigerian Student!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 21, 2016
iyke926:

Don't blame them. It ain't easy to cram but with constant practice one becomes better. Some say it's bad way of learning.

That's true it's not easy. It makes my head hot sef lol. Well some people like to say they try to understand when reading but I feel if u cram, u are doing both, u are understanding and at same time memorizing as well so in addition to giving the lecturer what he gave u, ur also adding some flavour to it which is why u are likely to score higher when u cram.‎

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 21, 2016
247notire:
Even though I made a 2, 1 too, 2 1 no guarantee u nothing in naija brother. Plus cramming or not, the main thing na to pass ur exams and pass them well. How one goes about that (by hook or by crook) shud nt really matter for me. But in all try to attend lectures and understand at least the basics of wateva course u studied so u won't be a dunce when ur talking with your colleagues of the same field.

PS: Cramming cannot and does not work for all courses. If ur an engineer or graduated from the pure sciences like statistics, physics, mathematics or chemistry u will understand what I just said.

My brother don't let no one lie to u, a 2.1 can increase ur chances of getting a good job even though it dosent guarantee it thesame way education can increase ur chances of making it but dosent guarantee it. There are many companies in this country that u can't work with unless u have a 2.1. Also as for the courses u mentioned, there are different levels of cramming my brother. Won't u memorise formulas? Formats? All these courses have theories too.‎
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by nectarbiola: 6:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
Cum 2 eksu, psychology dept u will no dat carry ova na normal tin.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 21, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by MrCasper: 7:06pm On Jan 21, 2016
Although I've never had a carry over, and I don't plan on having one now. I'm in my finals now. But OP, I don't fully agree with the logic of the post as its not completely accurate in my opinion. Though a carry over should be avoided at all cost, I don't know why a carry over should be seen as the end of the world. As a Lecturer of mine was said, 'Carry over is a normal thing.' That's beside the point. I don't think you even fully grasp the full reality of a carry over if u think having a 'D' or an 'E' of all grades is way better than having a carry over. I've seen someone who got and F rewrote d course and got a B while I didn't have a carryover but got a C in the same course. In other words, try ur best to avoid any carry over, but if it comes see it as a chance of getting g a better grade for that course instead of an E or a D. Only a lazy student will tell me he/she prefers an E over a carry over in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by 247notire(m): 7:14pm On Jan 21, 2016
theoptimist298:

My brother don't let no one lie to u, a 2.1 can increase ur chances of getting a good job even though it dosent guarantee it thesame way education can increase ur chances of making it but dosent guarantee it. There are many companies in this country that u can't work with unless u have a 2.1. Also as for the courses u mentioned, there are different levels of cramming my brother. Won't u memorise formulas? Formats? All these courses have theories too.‎
Well being a physicist myself I insist that cramming can't get u a 2, 1. You have to understand the basics and work from there up. Even the theories are usually to explain physical phenomena mostly not definitions. Moreover, nobody wud ask you definition in exams, at least not in UNN of my days. Cramming is not learning though u will definitely pour our wat u crammed. But what if questions are twisted in other ways than u know from ur cramming? Cramming has too many disadvantages and you won't be learning what ur supposed to. And I concur that 2, 1 may give u more opportunities not that it increases ur chance of getting a job cos trust me even if u go for a job test as a fresh graduate, u'll be tested in GMAT with your fellow 2, 1 graduates and if u don't know ur onions nothing for you. 2, 1 these days has become even as common as 2, 2.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by STILESGANG: 7:15pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thank you I don't know of Nigeria but overseas it's better for you to have a carryover in let's say a 3 unit course than for you to have an E,With the carryover you still have a chance to redeem yourself by having a better grade which will replace the previous F you had in that course.Infact in some universities student who have E and d in some courses are giving the option of repeating the course so they can have a better grade.
MrCasper:
Although I've never had a carry over, and I don't plan on having one now. I'm in my finals now. But OP, I don't fully agree with the logic of the post as its not completely accurate in my opinion. Though a carry over should be avoided at all cost, I don't know why a carry over should be seen as the end of the world. As a Lecturer of mine was said, 'Carry over is a normal thing.' That's beside the point. I don't think you even fully grasp the full reality of a carry over if u think having a 'D' or an 'E' of all grades is way better than having a carry over. I've seen someone who got and F rewrote d course and got a B while I didn't have a carryover but got a C in the same course. In other words, try ur best to avoid any carry over, but if it comes see it as a chance of getting g a better grade for that course instead of an E or a D. Only a lazy student will tell me he/she prefers an E over a carry over in my opinion.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by famousdad(m): 7:27pm On Jan 21, 2016
nice one
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Genea(f): 7:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
STILESGANG:
Thank you I don't know of Nigeria but overseas it's better for you to have a carryover in let's say a 3 unit course than for you to have an E,With the carryover you still have a chance to redeem yourself by having a better grade which will replace the previous F you had in that course.Infact in some universities student who have E and d in some courses are giving the option of repeating the course so they can have a better grade.
i can't repeat chm203 4 unit course,ppl wey dey write am pass jamb queue..i'd rather graduate lyk dah

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 21, 2016
Tinyemeka:
Carryover is a terrible evil that does wonders to one's GP. sad
does it dent d chances of one graduating with 1st class?
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by merits(m): 7:33pm On Jan 21, 2016
the writer,may God bless you,you inspired me.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by babyfaceafrica: 7:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
Had three Fs and still made a 3.80 when I graduated....abeg if you have carry overr just brush it up ..ans study!!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Blackkie: 7:35pm On Jan 21, 2016
Avoid this at all cost!
This is a holy grail for students.
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by haibe(m): 7:36pm On Jan 21, 2016
nickxtra:
Good. I still can't fathom why I had a carry over in a course I thought was not too difficult for me- CSC200. Although, I thank God that I got B in it when I resat for it. N.B. A friend later told me that scoring B at a resit is far better than scoring D or E in the main exam. Pls how true is this assertion?

Its false... The F has done the damage already.. I heard these tales then too but its false... The B u later got is not different from taking an additional course to that semesters courses.. Got an f in a course that year and made A in it when I resited.. The F already did the damage tho.. An F that came from scripts wahala... cry
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by haibe(m): 7:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
Ighoga898:

does it dent d chances of one graduating with 1st class?

Yup.. Although it depends on the unit in respect to your total units taken
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
haibe:

Yup.. Although it depends on the unit in respect to your total units taken
d course is 2 credit unit course, and its even elective
Re: Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate by haibe(m): 7:42pm On Jan 21, 2016
Adaeze003:

Bribery is sin but exam malpractice isn't?? grin grin grin

Greatest Nigerian Student!!

Am still looking for where he said exam malpractice isn't a sin undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: ASUU Seeks Public Opinion On Twitter / Neco Release June-July Result. Today 20th Nov. / Murjanatu Zubairu: Missing University Of Abuja Student Found Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.